TMobile $30 5GB plan DOES NOT WORK on Nexus 7 GSM!

Search This thread

CLShortFuse

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2007
Got my SIM card yesterday from T-Mobile.com
Got my Nexus 7 GSM today.

Cut up my full sized sim to fix into micro sim slot. Worked fine.
Inserted SIM into tablet. Got signal. So far so good.

Nexus 7 doesn't have Phone.apk or MMS.apk on launcher.
Fired up Wi-Fi, went to go Play Store.
Installed Go SMS Pro.

Set up my sim card online. Activated with $30 100 minutes, UL txt, 5GB plan.

Had to retry "nearest city" options and zip codes, but eventually got it to work.

Got my SMS notification on my tablet saying account is good.

Refilled for a month.

Got my SMS notification of the refill.

Setup a T-Mobile account with my prepaid number. All good.

0KB used.

Reboot tablet. I get "Sign into network" which is a html redirect page.

Every page redirects to sign in page. Can never sign in.

Research online.

Turns out it's detected as a tablet. IMEIs are apparently flagged by T-Mobile.

BAH!

I'll root and mess around my /efs/nv_data.bin and reboot back, but so far :-/

Edit: No /efs folder

Last edited:
Reactions: Postal Psycho

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Got my SIM card yesterday from T-Mobile.com
Got my Nexus 7 GSM today.

Cut up my full sized sim to fix into micro sim slot. Worked fine.
Inserted SIM into tablet. Got signal. So far so good.

Nexus 7 doesn't have Phone.apk or MMS.apk on launcher.
Fired up Wi-Fi, went to go Play Store.
Installed Go SMS Pro.

Set up my sim card online. Activated with $30 100 minutes, UL txt, 5GB plan.

Had to retry "nearest city" options and zip codes, but eventually got it to work.

Got my SMS notification on my tablet saying account is good.

Refilled for a month.

Got my SMS notification of the refill.

Setup a T-Mobile account with my prepaid number. All good.

0KB used.

Reboot tablet. I get "Sign into network" which is a html redirect page.

Every page redirects to sign in page. Can never sign in.

Research online.

Turns out it's detected as a tablet. IMEIs are apparently flagged by T-Mobile.

BAH!

I'll root and mess around my /efs/nv_data.bin and reboot back, but so far :-/

That really sucks.

While I'm probably going to go with the $15 AT&T plan, the $30 TMO plan you referenced sounds like a perfect one for people who want a lot of data, SMS capabilities and some minutes for light talk usage. I was hoping it would work. Have you tried talking to T-Mobile about it?

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully there is a solution.

CLShortFuse

Feb 28, 2007
That really sucks.

While I'm probably going to go with the $15 AT&T plan, the $30 TMO plan you referenced sounds like a perfect one for people who want a lot of data, SMS capabilities and some minutes for light talk usage. I was hoping it would work. Have you tried talking to T-Mobile about it?

I have the $15 AT&T plan (actually $10 unlimited) that I'm using for my Galaxy Note 10.1. I would try swapping around but the sim sizes are different. I'm pretty sure that TMobile will say that the Nexus 7 is a data-only device and won't let me do it.

Google has stripped WiFi tethering, MMS and Phone from the device and I'm sure it's no coincidence.

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
I have the $15 AT&T plan (actually $10 unlimited) that I'm using for my Galaxy Note 10.1. I would try swapping around but the sim sizes are different. I'm pretty sure that TMobile will say that the Nexus 7 is a data-only device and won't let me do it.

Google has stripped WiFi tethering, MMS and Phone from the device and I'm sure it's no coincidence.

"Stripped" might be too strong a word.

The non-3G versions never had any of those functions. I think it's more likely that they simply chose not (or forgot) to include them in the 3G version.

SMS actually does work, but inbound only (according to rumors) by default. But you can apparently use an SMS app to do outbound fine. There is another thread discussing the phone mod. Apparently a framework change can enable it, but no one has been able to test whether it works or not yet to place calls.

I imagine it would be trivial for a developer to add tethering support, though I don't see the need personally. Most people only care about tethering a non-3G tablet to a phone, not the other way around.

What $10 AT&T plan? Is that the "share your data" plan or an independent pre-paid one?

I don't need a lot of data, but I want to be able to have some if necessary. I also don't want to pay too much for it. $15 seems reasonable, but $10 is better - assuming I don't already need to have a phone with them.

jdsemler

Aug 17, 2007
Austin
Did you ensure the APN was what phones use for data rather than tablets/modems? Tweakker on the market will set it for you if you are unsure.

CLShortFuse

Feb 28, 2007
Did you register your sim to N7 IMEI or normal phone IMEI? Wonder if that makes a difference.

I did all 1s a couple of times but I when I successfully activated I used the N7 IMEI and changed the "nearest city" option. I strongly doubt that was the issue since other people who have this problem with the TMobile branded Springboard say the SIM works on other devices. I can't test this since I have no other device (tablet or smartphone) that takes microSIM.

Did you ensure the APN was what phones use for data rather than tablets/modems? Tweakker on the market will set it for you if you are unsure.

I checked them all manually. They were a little different than standard APNs (had a masked password and server field), but I modified them. I was still redirected. I'm pretty sure it's IMEI detection. I'll try it anyway. Edit: Tweaker is not supported on Play Store. I'll have to search for the APK

chismay

May 5, 2011
LONDON
I checked them all manually. They were a little different than standard APNs (had a masked password and server field), but I modified them. I was still redirected. I'm pretty sure it's IMEI detection. I'll try it anyway. Edit: Tweaker is not supported on Play Store. I'll have to search for the APK

wow operators starting to b a-holes eh?

smerrill

Oct 31, 2007
When I try to install Tweakker from the store, Google Play reports that it is not compatible with my N7. (I did upgrade it to 4.2.)

CLShortFuse

Feb 28, 2007

The non-3G versions never had any of those functions. I think it's more likely that they simply chose not (or forgot) to include them in the 3G version.

SMS actually does work, but inbound only (according to rumors) by default. But you can apparently use an SMS app to do outbound fine. There is another thread discussing the phone mod. Apparently a framework change can enable it, but no one has been able to test whether it works or not yet to place calls.

I imagine it would be trivial for a developer to add tethering support, though I don't see the need personally. Most people only care about tethering a non-3G tablet to a phone, not the other way around.

What $10 AT&T plan? Is that the "share your data" plan or an independent pre-paid one?

I don't need a lot of data, but I want to be able to have some if necessary. I also don't want to pay too much for it. $15 seems reasonable, but $10 is better - assuming I don't already need to have a phone with them.

On any AT&T family plan with shared unlimited messaging, you can add unlimited data for $10 on dumbphones. If you don't have shared unlimited texting then it's $15/mo per dumbphone

Also, TMobile will let you use your voice plan package if you accept to pay an additional $15/mo to use "Mobile Broadband" which is using it on data-only devices (laptops/tablets)

Look for Tweakker with two k's

Can you download it from the app store and upload the apk?

Last edited:
Reactions: presslab

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm confused. You put your SIM card into the device after cutting it down and once you booted it up, you had signal? You saw the H and everything? But you could not access tmo's data network immediately? But then you logged into the play store with wifi?

smerrill

Oct 31, 2007
I'm confused. You put your SIM card into the device after cutting it down and once you booted it up, you had signal? You saw the H and everything? But you could not access tmo's data network immediately? But then you logged into the play store with wifi?

That's correct. I've already been shuttling a cut-down T-Mobile SIM between devices. When I have the SIM in the Nexus 7, I get a 3G or an H, but then when I try to make any web requests, I get redirected to My T-Mobile. (In addition, Android prompts me with a "Sign into network" item in the notification area.) I can log back into My T-Mobile with any browser, but that doesn't accomplish anything.

I then connect to the Play Store over WiFi but it won't let me download Tweakker.

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
That's correct. I've already been shuttling a cut-down T-Mobile SIM between devices. When I have the SIM in the Nexus 7, I get a 3G or an H, but then when I try to make any web requests, I get redirected to My T-Mobile. (In addition, Android prompts me with a "Sign into network" item in the notification area.) I can log back into My T-Mobile with any browser, but that doesn't accomplish anything.

I then connect to the Play Store over WiFi but it won't let me download Tweakker.

Had you activated that sim card before on another phone? I am curious if you can activate it first one a phone, say a One S because it uses the micro sim, maybe thats all it needs? Hmm...

smerrill

Oct 31, 2007
Had you activated that sim card before on another phone? I am curious if you can activate it first one a phone, say a One S because it uses the micro sim, maybe thats all it needs? Hmm...

Yes. I've been using the SIM with an adapter in a Galaxy Nexus and an unlocked iPhone 4S just fine, and I have it happily getting data in my Galaxy Nexus as we speak.

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
Yes. I've been using the SIM with an adapter in a Galaxy Nexus and an unlocked iPhone 4S just fine, and I have it happily getting data in my Galaxy Nexus as we speak.

Thanks guys for letting us know that Tmobile has blocked this. I kind of expect this since they have been cracking down...on the switching SIMS between different devices types.
Specially with them in touch with google on Nexus 4 and also were preparing to partner with Google to sell the Nexus 7 3G with a Tmobile SIM (like Google is doing with ATT) according to some leaked Tmo news pictures..., We should have expected this already.

It was a few months back they blocked the opposite: using data broadband plans SIM in unlocked phones like Nexus. We used to be able to do that.
Still it's unfortunate. Thanks for saving me to try the same and be stucked with a SIM i can not use effectively. To the OP; you can still use the micro SIM in a regular device without an adapter. You just need to position it right and may be try a couple times. I did not this until I saw somebody do it. Since then if I have cut a sim, I can still use it without an adapter. Just make sure you position it right....by try and error...or by inserting a regular SIM and picking up where the metal needs to touch the phone.

For all if you really want Tmobile...you can use the Special Walmart plan...which gives 60 days if you buy the $35 or $50 plans. To a point it may be equal or better deal than the 5gig $30.....depends if you do not use too much data...you can use: $35 for 3.5 gig for 60 days....or $50 5 gig for 60 days.

That's the way I may go or I may go the way of Ultra Mobile MVNO which is coming up with pay as you go @ 4.9 cents per mb in January. This is expensive but it's 4g hspa+ pay as you go to use only while needing fast data in areas where no wifi is there or my freedom hotspot has reach is fast 500 mb limit or no Clear coverage is being picked up.

We should also try to see if Tmobile is doing the same blocking while using MVNO....plans. If that's the case then the above Ultra plan won't help. In order to get better data deals we would need Voice/data plans from mvno..But that in itself is not useful unless we're able to enable both voice...and data on 3g nexus. Ultra has plans with data or voice only while data costing 2 cents per mb. Or Straightalk/Net10 $45 plans if only the voice can also be enabled.

MVNO do not usually have good deals on data only plans.

On the other side ATT broadband plans are interesting for 3gb for $30. Not quite 5 gig but better coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: pickaxeus

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
For all if you really want Tmobile...you can use the Special Walmart plan...which gives 60 days if you buy the $35 or $50 plans. To a point it may be equal or better deal than the 5gig $30.....depends if you do no use too much data...on your use: $35 for 3.5 gig for 60 days....or 5 gig for 60 days.

Can you share some more info on this plan?

I just signed up for the AT&T $15 30day/250MB plan. But this sounds a lot better!

I'm generally around Wi-Fi, so don't need a ton of data. But I'd rather pay (effectively) $15/month for 2-2.5GB then 250MB.

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
Can you share some more info on this plan?

I just signed up for the AT&T $15 30day/250MB plan. But this sounds a lot better!

I'm generally around Wi-Fi, so don't need a ton of data. But I'd rather pay (effectively) $15/month for 2-2.5GB then 250MB.

well......doing some reading I got this from Walmart....Not good news. Now I understand why when I switched my SIM from a USB stick device bought at Walmart to a USB stick sent by Tmobile it kept blocking me and redirecting me as with the OP.... It took multiple support calls to Tmobile tech reps...to no avail. Until the recreated my account with free data posted to it and with the regular 30 days limit. They told me I could switch back to the Walmart special at the end of the month...but never was able to get it done....I ended up selling the USB stick....so it seems there's IMEI checking on SIM activated with the 60 days specials....so this won't help on Nexus 3G

Access 4G Internet on the go with the T-Mobile $35 Prepaid Mobile Broadband Pass. It offers 3.5GB of data usage and is good for 60 days only at Walmart. Pass is only eligible on broadband devices purchased at a Walmart after 6/1/2012. The pass includes no activation fee, no annual contract, no credit check and no overages. And it works with any new T-Mobile Laptop Stick or mobile hotspot purchased at Walmart. If you regularly surf the web, check email and update your social network, this card is a good choice.

T-Mobile $35 Prepaid Mobile Broadband Pass (Email Delivery):
Provides 3.5GB of data usage
*Good for 60 days
No activation fee, annual contract, credit check or overages
Works with any T-Mobile Internet device
*60 day pass is only eligible on broadband devices purchased at Walmart after 6/1/2012

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I had hoped that I could use my 3g Nexus 7 on the $30 tmobile plan. I was thinking of registering on the plan when I traveled. I guess the only hope is that someone figures out a work around or tmobile offers a decent data plan. At least, I was primarily planning to use 3g overseas.

It looks like I will be teathering my N7 for for data when away from wifi. :( This is a pain. In addition, I could have waited and ordered my 3g N7 from B&H Photo and avoided shipping and tax.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How the network is blocked

This is my first android device and I was duped by the t-mo online rep who said it would work with the device but found out as everyone else did that this plan is a no go. I did some digging around to see why this happens.

With my device rooted, I got an adb shell and started looking at network routes, dns settings etc. What I found is that in an adb shell, you actually can get to other websites, and not just get redirected to the t-mobile page. This means that there's either an HTTP or SOCKS proxy that gets configured to be used by all apps but which I couldn't figure out how to lookup or remove (Any help on this matter is appreciated)

So in a rooted device

adb shell
    telnet google.com 80
    GET /

(hit enter twice) and you'll see that you get the google homepage html.

I thought, wow this is great. I already have openvpn installed that creates a vpn tunnel to my home network and which i can use to route traffic all traffic on the device.

telnet my-dyndns-addr 80

Where I have a confirmed working openvpn server listening and accessible to outside world on port 80. I chose port 80 cause all other outbound ports seem to be blocked.

Unfortunately this did NOT work. It just hangs and eventually times out. And if I configure it so my home network responds by displaying a webpage on port 80, then it works fine. So I guess they're doing some DPI and only allow HTTP traffic through. Bummer.
    I bought a 3.5 gigabyte plan online at walmart and it would not connect. It kept telling me I had to sign in. After a few phone calls and a few hours later i had a solution. The walmart 60 day plan will only work with 2 devices that walmart sells. I called tmobile and they swithced it to a 30 day plan and it works great now.
    Got my SIM card yesterday from T-Mobile.com Got my Nexus 7 GSM today. Cut up my full sized sim to fix into micro sim slot. Worked fine. Inserted SIM into tablet. Got signal. So far so good. Nexus 7 doesn't have Phone.apk or MMS.apk on launcher. Fired up Wi-Fi, went to go Play Store. Installed Go SMS Pro. Set up my sim card online. Activated with $30 100 minutes, UL txt, 5GB plan. Had to retry "nearest city" options and zip codes, but eventually got it to work. Got my SMS notification on my tablet saying account is good. Refilled for a month. Got my SMS notification of the refill. Setup a T-Mobile account with my prepaid number. All good. Reboot tablet. I get "Sign into network" which is a html redirect page. Every page redirects to sign in page. Can never sign in. Research online. Turns out it's detected as a tablet. IMEIs are apparently flagged by T-Mobile.
    BAH!

That really sucks.

The only explanation that makes sense is that T-Mobile doesn't want tablets on phone plans. Probably because they realize that your more likely to use more data on a tablet then a phone, so they want you to pay the higher amount.

Yeah, it does really suck. When I noticed that plan, I had the same thought you did: it was perfect for what I needed, and cheaper than T-Mobile's data-only MBB plans. I had already talked to a number of different T-Mobile reps, and never got a definitive answer until I stumbled upon this thread (and this one: Voice calls on 3g Nexus 7.)
    But it appears that a definitive answer is here: iPad work with $30 Prepaid Unlimited Data Plan?

"This is a great question. This specific plan is targeted for smartphone users and does not have the proper settings in our billing system that will allow tablet users to be able to benefit from this plan. You would need to look at setting up a Mobile Broadband plan if you would like to be able to use your iPad with our service. Hope this helps.
    tmo_adam_c"

Since it is perfect for what I needed and cheaper than T-Mobile's data-only MBB plans, naturally T-Mobile has arbitrarily decided to restrict it to "phones" only.

So, it's totally OK on a 5.5" Galaxy Note, but if you want to use a 7" device (which is easier to see, especially for older people like me) TOO BAD!
    But as you mentioned above, I'm sure T-Mobile has made this decision based of the idea that the the average data usage will be greater with a tablet than a phone.
    There's another big difference too: hardware price. Bigger tablets cost more, but smaller (unlocked, no contract) phones cost a LOT more. So the combination of the relatively cheap Nexus 7 and T-Mobile's $30 100/Unltd/Unltd no-contract plan would be perfect for you, for me, and a lot of other people.

-----

I registered for this site just to thank those who have been wading through this issue (especially user "phonic" for his persistence in trying to get across the difference in making voice calls via any VOIP method using the data connection, and making voice calls directly via GSM).

Since I've spent the better part of this morning wading through 50 pages of posts in these two threads (among others), in order to help the next people who come here with the same questions I had, I'd like to recap here to save them some time, which after all these pages really boils down to just these simple facts:

With no modifications, the Google Nexus 7 HSPA+ data can (apparently) receive (but not send) SMS messages, but cannot make or receive GSM voice calls. Software can be added fairly easily to allow the Nexus 7 HSPA+ to send SMS messages. There appears to be no practical way for a Nexus 7 HSPA+ to make or receive GSM voice calls.

T-Mobile offers a terrific no-contract plan here that includes 100 minutes talk, unlimited text, unlimited data (slower speeds after 5GB) for only $30 per month. This is less expensive than T-Mobile's Mobile Broadband refill cards here, which are $35 for a 3.5GB month pass or $50 for a 5GB month pass (with NO additional slower-speed data after those limits).

WalMart does offer similar $35 3.5GB Mobile Broadband pass that is valid for 60 days, but it requires that the hardware be purchased at WalMart, which usually means a higher price for that hardware than the best online deal, and fewer choices (e.g.: no Nexus 7 HSPA+ from Walmart). This Walmart $35/60 days deal is permanently locked to the IMEI number of the hardware, and cannot be transferred with the SIM card to another device bought elsewhere.

I believe the above statements are a correct assessment of the situation as of today.
    If anyone else has any verified information to the contrary, I hope they will post it.

On any AT&T family plan with shared unlimited messaging, you can add unlimited data for $10 on dumbphones. If you don't have shared unlimited texting then it's $15/mo per dumbphone

Also, TMobile will let you use your voice plan package if you accept to pay an additional $15/mo to use "Mobile Broadband" which is using it on data-only devices (laptops/tablets)

Look for Tweakker with two k's

Can you download it from the app store and upload the apk?
    I don't recommend going with prepay anymore with TMobile for tablet. You got the Mobile Broadband for $40 4.5gb with legal usage of tethering, since its not prepaid you get higher priority for cell towers connection, you get customer service too. Also monthly pass version don't get text messaging (as I recalled). Since there are no more contracts this is a no brainer, huge benefits for just an additional $5.

Sent from XDA app