Sprint WiFi Calling / Google Voice

Search This thread

comzee

Aug 21, 2012
I only have 500 anytime minutes, this is usually enough for me, but I've been taking many interviews this month. I only have 15 anytime minutes left and I have 9 days left on my cycle.

This prompted me to try and get Sprint WiFi calling working. When I approve my access point, and the address for it, it keeps saying "network connection error. Please try again" and it never works.

So I gave up on that, and tried integrating my Google Voice services with my phone for free VoIP calling. For some reason the app is only letting me text with it. This guide tells you how to make calls with Google Voice from Android: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/168520?hl=en but I am not getting the dialog screen asking me if I want to make calls with my Google voice. Whenever I call a contact it just auto rings with the normal dialer without asking.

As you can see from this picture I screen capped, my sprint recognized I have both Google Voice and WiFi calling enabled as services. http://imgur.com/qIirVrG

Not sure if this matters. But I soft bricked my phone and had to use the factory reset guide. That worked great, I even did the RTN Sprint reset to get my Sprint Spark apps back. I do currently have my phone rooted with Xposed and Tweaksbox installed.

Any ideas?

fergie716

May 14, 2011
Buffalo, NY
this is just a copy/paste from another thread I posted in, this fixed my WiFi Calling issues

I had an issue getting WiFi calling to work out of the box, here's how I fixed it.

- Forgot WiFi network I was trying to connect to
- Log onto my Sprint account and remove WiFi calling from my plan (click "Change my Services" from the drop down menu associated with the G3 then select the "remove" text next to VWDOM0 - Domestic Voice Over Wi-Fi Unlimited)
- Wait a few minutes and keep an eye on your phone; you'll receive a pop up saying "Changes Saved" or "Profile Updated". Something like that
- After I got the pop-up I entered ##SCRTN# in the dialer (phone will reboot and update profile)<----- (I have seen where ##UPDATE# works as well so maybe try both)
-Once my phone booted up and settled in I entered the WiFi Calling menu through the dialer app; I signed into my home network and went through the activation process to add WiFi calling to my phone

It worked for me after that. However it recently stopped working for me (last night) and all I had to do was enter ##UPDATE# to fix it

Reactions: pdaddy

comzee

Aug 21, 2012
I had an issue getting WiFi calling to work out of the box, here's how I fixed it.

Super cool thanks for showing me this.

On a side note, Google Voice is making me rage. Google Voice provisions your carrier to accept Voice Over IP (VoIP), and whenever it tried provisioning it always said "network error". I uninstalled it, logged into my Voice account and disabled it from my Sprint phone, but it's got like a zombie network process still trying to provision it. Once every hour or so a message pops up that says "network error" and it wakes the phone and it won't go back to sleep unless you press "cancel" on the error message. Pretty enraging. Rebooting the phone doesn't make it go away either.

Oh well, I might be RTN resetting my phone in the near future.

EDIT:

Here's a screenshot of the network error. Is there any way I can figure out what process is displaying this error?http://i.imgur.com/99idKL1.png

Last edited:

comzee

Aug 21, 2012
I was able to fix my "Network Error" dialog box waking up my phone with an RTN reset.
Although I tried all of "fergie716" steps to get WiFi Calling working multiple times, and it still doesn't work. Sigh....

robber

Nov 12, 2006
I only have 500 anytime minutes, this is usually enough for me, but I've been taking many interviews this month. I only have 15 anytime minutes left and I have 9 days left on my cycle.

This prompted me to try and get Sprint WiFi calling working. When I approve my access point, and the address for it, it keeps saying "network connection error. Please try again" and it never works.

So I gave up on that, and tried integrating my Google Voice services with my phone for free VoIP calling. For some reason the app is only letting me text with it. This guide tells you how to make calls with Google Voice from Android: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/168520?hl=en but I am not getting the dialog screen asking me if I want to make calls with my Google voice. Whenever I call a contact it just auto rings with the normal dialer without asking.

As you can see from this picture I screen capped, my sprint recognized I have both Google Voice and WiFi calling enabled as services. http://imgur.com/qIirVrG

Not sure if this matters. But I soft bricked my phone and had to use the factory reset guide. That worked great, I even did the RTN Sprint reset to get my Sprint Spark apps back. I do currently have my phone rooted with Xposed and Tweaksbox installed.

Any ideas?

Just so you know, Google Voice is not a gateway for free voip calling in itself. It is simply a feature server that sits between you and Sprints core network that adds enhanced functionality.

I do believe that calls over Sprint's VoWifi app are unmeasured, so this is your best bet if you are trying to save minutes.

comzee

Aug 21, 2012
Just so you know, Google Voice is not a gateway for free voip calling in itself. It is simply a feature server that sits between you and Sprints core network that adds enhanced functionality.

I do believe that calls over Sprint's VoWifi app are unmeasured, so this is your best bet if you are trying to save minutes.

Good to know. I feel like I've done literally everything trying to get WiFi calling working though. RTN resets with my MSL, multiple ##SCRTN# and ##UPDATE#. I'll chalk it up to my phone being rooted, I can't think of any other reason. I'll just wait for the bootloader to be unlocked for custom roms. My anytime minutes being out is only a minor inconvenience too, I almost never go over 150 anytime in a month, just so happens I've been out of work and been doing many phone interviews, which maxed my minutes. Luckily I landed a job, and my cycle resets in 6 days now.

dakoellis

Jan 6, 2009
Good to know. I feel like I've done literally everything trying to get WiFi calling working though. RTN resets with my MSL, multiple ##SCRTN# and ##UPDATE#. I'll chalk it up to my phone being rooted, I can't think of any other reason. I'll just wait for the bootloader to be unlocked for custom roms. My anytime minutes being out is only a minor inconvenience too, I almost never go over 150 anytime in a month, just so happens I've been out of work and been doing many phone interviews, which maxed my minutes. Luckily I landed a job, and my cycle resets in 6 days now.
I've had issues with Google Voice (And Wifi calling) and the only thing I was able to do to get it to work was call sprint and have them remove the services from my account from their end. I waited about 15 minutes and when I re-added them, I didn't have any more issues. For Wifi Calling, I did an RTN reset after the 15 minutes, and for Google Voice, I logged out, cleared app data and uninstalled, then reinstalled after waiting Maybe give that a try. I was rooted as well FWIW.

robber

Nov 12, 2006
I've had issues with Google Voice (And Wifi calling) and the only thing I was able to do to get it to work was call sprint and have them remove the services from my account from their end. I waited about 15 minutes and when I re-added them, I didn't have any more issues. For Wifi Calling, I did an RTN reset after the 15 minutes, and for Google Voice, I logged out, cleared app data and uninstalled, then reinstalled after waiting Maybe give that a try. I was rooted as well FWIW.

What was your issue out of curiosity? I am having issues with inbound calls over WiFi, phone doest ring. Was this your problem by any chance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is just a copy/paste from another thread I posted in, this fixed my WiFi Calling issues

- Forgot WiFi network I was trying to connect to
    - Log onto my Sprint account and remove WiFi calling from my plan (click "Change my Services" from the drop down menu associated with the G3 then select the "remove" text next to VWDOM0 - Domestic Voice Over Wi-Fi Unlimited)
    - Wait a few minutes and keep an eye on your phone; you'll receive a pop up saying "Changes Saved" or "Profile Updated". Something like that
    - After I got the pop-up I entered ##SCRTN# in the dialer (phone will reboot and update profile)<----- (I have seen where ##UPDATE# works as well so maybe try both)
    -Once my phone booted up and settled in I entered the WiFi Calling menu through the dialer app; I signed into my home network and went through the activation process to add WiFi calling to my phone

It worked for me after that. However it recently stopped working for me (last night) and all I had to do was enter ##UPDATE# to fix it
    Do you have the Sprint boot up screen? If not, read #25 of this post. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=54912191

just check and i do not i have LG boot up screen. thank you