[Q] Razr HD Maxx Boot Loop - Need Help

Search This thread

rmp2737

Jul 16, 2013
I have a Razr Maxx HD. I am stuck in a bootloop and cannot recovery with factory firmware. The phone was rooted but the bootloader not unlocked. I could use some help. I have tried many of the things that I have seen on online forums but have not had success.

Here is what led to the problem:
1) I rooted my phone. It rebooted fine.
2) I downloaded a modified framework-res.apk and Root Explorer (File Manager) to my phone.
3) Mounted Root Explorer in r/w mode.
4) Copied and overwrote original /system/framework-res.apk with modified file.
5) Phone rebooted and got stuck in loop.
*USB debug mode was on at time of failure.

Here is what I have tried on a Mac:
1) In Android System Recovery <3e>, I tried "Wipe cache partition" and "Wipe data/factory reset." That did not work.
2) I downloaded the Mac Motorola Drivers from their website. I download and installed Android SDK and platform-tools package. I can run ADB in my terminal. However, it only shows the device when in "Recovery/Apply update from ADB " mode. When I perform "adb devices" it shows a serial number and "sideload." I use the "adb sideload" command to transfer the firmware .zip file. It reads the following after it is uploaded:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/framework-res.apk", "bunch of numbers")
Installation aborted.

This was after sideloading the package "Blur_Version.9.1.41.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip." This was the same file I was modifying earlier. I have tried it with the fireware xml.zip files from sbf.droid-developers.org/vanquish/list.php and only got to line 3 before it aborted.

3) Tried to update from microSD card and got same result.

4) I have the original framework-res.apk file; however I don't know how to push it. I cannot get it to recognize the device in ADB outside of the Recovery from ADB sideload option. All other ADB commands return an "error : closed" reply.

5) As far as Fastboot, it reads AP Flastboot Flash Mode (S), Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0, Battery OK, USB Connected. I got the device ID and tried the online unlock key generator on Motorola.com but it stated my device was not eligible for unlocking at this time, so it remains locked.

Here is what I have tried on a Windows 7 PC:
1) I downloaded the Windows Motorola Drivers from their website. I download and installed Android SDK and platform-tools package. I can open ADB in cmd line. However, when I perform "adb devices," it does not show a serial number, even in Recovery ADB sideload.

2) I downloaded RSD Lite 5.3.1. Selected one of the extracted sbf.droid-developers.org/vanquish/list.php .xml files. Hit start and nothing happened. "Show Device" did not bring anything up. I am guessing the PC is not detecting the device, but I uploaded the latest Motorola Drivers Package. I even tried the Google USB Driver install in Android SDK.

Can you recommend another course of action or a means of getting one of these methods to work? Please help me unbrick my phone. Thank you in advance for any advice.

M

mentose457

Boot into the stock recovery by powering off the phone then holding the power button and volume up and down button. Then use the volume keys to select recovery. When it boots you should see andy on his back and a red triangle. This is the stock recovery. Now try adb devices again.

Last edited:

rmp2737

Jul 16, 2013

Boot into the stock recovery by powering off the phone then holding the power button and volume up and down button. Then use the volume keys to select recovery. When it boots you should see andy on his back and a red triangle. This is the stock recovery. Now try adb devices again.

It does not work. No devices were listed.

The only time "adb devices" has worked is in "apply update from adb" mode, but here only "adb sideload" command works and other commands return "error : closed". So it does not seem to me to be an issue with my computer sending commands, but my phone allowing them to received?

M

mentose457

It does not work. No devices were listed.

The only time "adb devices" has worked is in "apply update from adb" mode, but here only "adb sideload" command works and other commands return "error : closed". So it does not seem to me to be an issue with my computer sending commands, but my phone allowing them to received?

Is this the case in both windowz and osx?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

I read on xda news that you can create your own update zip to flash in stock recovery. In theory you could have it flash the original framework file. I'll do a bit more digging on that and hey back to you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

I cant find the article bout using a stock update zip. Though you could flash the latest ota update. It would eliminate any chance of you unlocking the bootloader and possibly obtaining root.

Last edited:

rmp2737

Jul 16, 2013
Is this the case in both windowz and osx?

That is only for OSX. I could not even get the adb at all (even in sideload) on Windows. This makes me think it is a driver issue on the Windows computer. It is a work computer and it may be a driver install issue requiring admin access. I will try to fix the driver issue and run RSD Lite again and let you know.

I read on xda news that you can create your own update zip to flash in stock recovery. In theory you could have it flash the original framework file. I'll do a bit more digging on that and hey back to you.

Thanks. Let me know if you find it.

M

mentose457

If you could get your phone to be recognized in adb all of your problems could be solved. You could even unlock your bootloader without being able to get into the os. If I were you id continue to try to get my computer to communicate with my phone.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

That is only for OSX. I could not even get the adb at all (even in sideload) on Windows. This makes me think it is a driver issue on the Windows computer. It is a work computer and it may be a driver install issue requiring admin access. I will try to fix the driver issue and run RSD Lite again and let you know.

Thanks. Let me know if you find it.

is the "apply update from adb" part of the stock recovery? Ive never encountered it.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Have you tried to run adb devices while the phone is bootlooping? It may get far enough in the boot process to allow you to use adb.

rmp2737

Jul 16, 2013
Is the "apply update from adb" part of the stock recovery? Ive never encountered it.

Yes, it is part of the stock recovery. I cannot get adb to run at any stage outside of it.

I got fastboot working on the WIndows computer. I had to specify installing the drivers as an Admin. After that, RSD Lite could run. It was able to flash every other file in the package but it failed only on the system.img file.

M

mentose457

Yes, it is part of the stock recovery. I cannot get adb to run at any stage outside of it.

I got fastboot working on the WIndows computer. I had to specify installing the drivers as an Admin. After that, RSD Lite could run. It was able to flash every other file in the package but it failed only on the system.img file.

Try it again? If all you did was push a botched framework-res.apk to the system folder then you really shouldnt have any problems reverting back with rsd.

Have you tried to run adb devices while the phone is bootlooping? It may get far enough in the boot process to allow you to use adb.

Have you tried this ^^^

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

What method did you use to fastboot?

Last edited:

rmp2737

Jul 16, 2013
Try it again? If all you did was push a botched framework-res.apk to the system folder then you really shouldnt have any problems reverting back with rsd.

I tried it a few times with RSD Lite different file versions. They did not work. Perhaps the permissions for the folder were not reverted and this is a problem?

I have tried to connect to with ADB during the bootloop and in the recovery mode menu. It did not work.

As for fast boot, I am using the AP Flastboot Flash Mode as part of stock recovery.

Thank you for your help so far. I am lost at this point, since it seems all the typical methods are not working.

rmp2737

Jul 16, 2013
I am suspect that performing the factory reset disabled USB Debugging Mode and that is why ADB won't work. If so, I think I am stuck because it's Catch 22. I can't push the files with ADB, I cannot flash the system.img file because it is too big, I cannot flash the system.img file with RSD Lite (for what I can only assume is a permission error), I cannot erase the system.img to clear it before I flash over it because the bootloader is locked, and I can't unlock the bootloader because the exploit requires you to use ADB commands. Unless, I am missing something.