[APP][1.6+] MM Tracker

Search This thread

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi,

i created an App called 'MM Tracker' which is able to read QCT maps from Memory Map from SD Card and displays them.
The current GPS position is displayed and tracks can be recorded, saved and (re)loaded.

There is a free version called 'MM Tracker FREE' to test the App on your device.
The free version is just displaying your current position on the map.
All other features can only be used with the full version.

Features are:

• Tracks are stored to SD card as GPX files
  • GPS track will be drawn on map
  • Track properties can be adapted (color, width and opacity)
  • Overlay Manager for Tracks, Routes and Waypoints
  • Waypoints can be created at GPS position or by manual entry of coordinates
  • Routes can be created
  • Displays compass on map
  • Map can rotate in direction of travel or by compass
  • Pinch zoom
  • Support for landscape and portrait display
  • MMI files can be used to search places
  • New maps at current position can be selected with context menu
  • Maps with larger/lower scale can be selected with on screen buttons
  • When leaving the current map a new map will be automatically loaded (when available)
  • 'Lock to GPS' can be enabled to scroll the map while you are moving
  • 'Screen Lock' can be enabled to prevent unwanted touch input
  • When device is switched off (standby) MM Tracker is still recording tracks
  • Displays the map scale
  • Volume buttons can be used to zoom in and out
  • MM Tracker does not support the new Memory-Map format QC3 / DRM encrypted QCT!

Important:
  • Due to limitations of the Android NDK currently only maps smaller than 2GB are supported! If the map is bigger than 2GB, the map tiles beyond 2GB will displayed as white tiles.
  • 'MM Tracker' runs on Android 2.1+. For Android 1.6 there is a special version of 'MM Tracker' called 'MM Tracker 16'

The development of 'MM Tracker' is ongoing and new features will be added frequently. Feel free to suggest....
You can find all info about 'MM Tracker' here: http://sites.google.com/site/mmtrackerinfo/

Have fun...

Last edited by a moderator:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
MM Tracker is now available for Android 2.1.
As i only could test it with the SDK emulator, it would be great if you could post some feedback.

Michael

ccristal

Sep 28, 2009
Michael,
thank you very much for releasing MM Tracker. I have downloaded the free version, and it's absolutely brilliant. I would say it works so much better than MemoryMap, since MemoryMap on WM had a problem with maps bigger than 200MB. The 2GB limit that still holds for Android makes things so much easier, in that I don't have to split maps any longer.

A few updates that I would suggest are:
  • speed vector
  • ability to read elevation data (*.qed files) and to display the elevation profile of a route or a track.
  • ability to read mmi data and search for a place by name.

With the above features, MM Tracker would be an ideal replacement for MemoryMap Mobile.

Keep up the good work, Michael... :)

ccristal

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi ccristal,

thanks for your feedback.

The speed vector is a feature which i am currently working on. But i am not yet satisfied with the results. So it will be available with one of the next updates.

Rgearding QED and Search-Function... the problem is that i do not know how to read QED and MMI files. So for now this is not possible.
It would be great if anybody could supply a specification of the QED and MMI files :D

Best regards,
Michael

ccristal

Sep 28, 2009
Rgearding QED and Search-Function... the problem is that i do not know how to read QED and MMI files. So for now this is not possible.
It would be great if anybody could supply a specification of the QED and MMI files :D

Well... you were not supposed to know the format of the .qct file either. If you reverse engineered that one, I'm sure you can figure out qed and mmi as well... ;)

EDIT: oops... I just realized that the QCT format is public... but we can still work on the other two. I've just opened a .mmi file with a hex editor, it doesn't seem impossible to decode. Let me investigate some more and I'll let you know...

ccristal

Last edited:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Yep you are right ... QCT is sort of public ;) As you can find various descriptions in the internet it was just about to put them in code.

As far as i know the QED format is similar to the QCT format. Only the tile size differs and maybe some other details. I will check this.

And i had a look into some MMI files. Seems to be very straight forward:
1.Section defines Categories
2.Section: Placenames and coordinates
But details have to be figured out.

If you get some more informations, it would be great if you could let me know.

Best regards,
Michael

lohtse

Apr 1, 2009
Where ever they send Me!!
GREAT app mapman...

Downgraded to 2.1 as dislike android 2.2..

Works well but occasionally lags a bit when moving fast cross country.

Would like to suggest OSGB grid refs and map rotation to compass direction and a compass too..

With these features it will run circles round Memory map.

Have to say there are a lot of us where am stationed who are very pleased with this app...

Looking forward to future releases and YES will be buying full version in next week or two...

regards
Lohtse

paul144

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks

Hi MapMan

Thanks for this great app, having been 'forced' to switch recently from an HD2 (WM6.5) to a Desire, I became resigned to the fact that Memory Map appear not to want to support Android this side of the next millennium, so the ability to use my OS maps on my HTC Desire is very welcome indeed. Thanks. !! I switched from the free app to the full version after about 2 mins of evaluation.

The App works well for my basic needs, although as commented above, the ability to see height profiles would be welcome, although in terms of my priority wish list I would welcome the opportunity to :-

1 Accurately create routes on the device - with route properties in Miles and Knots (as well as Km). I would like to be able to create routes and edit route points - perhaps by nudging them with the central optical button. This was a great problem with WM6.5 on my old HD2 where all you could do was move the very small point with a very large finger !, and perhaps in slower time look at the route elevation profile.

2 Whilst its good to see tracks displayed, I can't seem to be able to save them - perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

3 A route arrow - although not a high priority for me.

Overall a great app and given my large investment in paid OS maps, this really is worth every penny. To be honest I would have paid 10 times as much for it. I just hope you don't get hassle from MM. Thanks

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi lohtse,

congrats, finally you got rid of Android 2.2 ;)
I spent some hours to get it on my Desire ..... tastes are different :D

Would like to suggest OSGB grid refs and map rotation to compass direction and a compass too..

As a lot of people were asking for it i have planned to implement some support for OS Grid. But honestly... i think map rotation is not on the "roadmap" of MM Tracker :eek:
Today i added the speed vector as a first step. I think compass could be a nice feature too.

Happy tracking,

Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi paul144,

great to hear that you like MM Tracker.

1 Accurately create routes on the device - with route properties in Miles and Knots (as well as Km). I would like to be able to create routes and edit route points - perhaps by nudging them with the central optical button. This was a great problem with WM6.5 on my old HD2 where all you could do was move the very small point with a very large finger !, and perhaps in slower time look at the route elevation profile.

2 Whilst its good to see tracks displayed, I can't seem to be able to save them - perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

3 A route arrow - although not a high priority for me.

Overall a great app and given my large investment in paid OS maps, this really is worth every penny. To be honest I would have paid 10 times as much for it. I just hope you don't get hassle from MM. Thanks

Creating routes is definitely a feature i would like to have too. But as it is a little bit of an effort to implement, it will not be realized too early.
Tracks are saved automatically when you close MM Tracker. But you have to define a correct path for the Tracks (the latest update of MM Tracker has a more convenient dialog to choose the directories).

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: Thanks for your suggestion... i was thinking of raising the price too ;)

nmcnmc

Oct 27, 2010
So how easy would it be to create an Anquet Maps equivalent?

Knew I should have gone for Memory Maps!!

sorimina

Apr 28, 2008
Hi Map Man,

Your software seems to be very interesting.

I have a winmo 6.5 and I am looking for a new phone. I know there is no solution for the new WP7 and don't like iphone. So I think about Android.

I just want to know if it's possible to import/export waypoints/tacks between Memory Map PC software and your MM tracker.

Thank you.

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi sorimina,

I know there is no solution for the new WP7 and don't like iphone.
I think we have the same opinion there ;)

MM Tracker creates and reads tracks as standarized GPX files.
These files can be imported/exported with MM software.

Waypoints are currently not supported, but will be in future.

Best regards,
Michael

sorimina

Apr 28, 2008
Great, Map Man. :)
Hope you could add waypoints import/export in the near future.
It's the last thing that prevents me to quit my winMo 6.5 for Android ;)
Thanks for your work !

Last edited:

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi sorimina,

Great, Map Man. :)
Hope you could add waypoints import/export in the near future.
It's the last thing that prevents me to quit my winMo 6.5 for Android ;)
Thanks for your work !

just to make my explanation from before complete:
If you export your route from MemoryMap as GPX-track and load it with MM Tracker, you can at least see the 'route' on the sceen.
Of course navigation to WP/routes is not yet possible, but maybe this helps you...

Regards,
Michael

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi,

just want to inform you about the latest update V1.1.5

History
  • Feature Added: Switch between metres, statute and nautical units
  • Feature Added: Tracking can be started and stopped
  • Improvement: Status icons in statusline
  • Fix: ConcurrentAcces to tracklist while loading fixed (was leading to crashes at startup)

I would recommend this update, especially because of the last item in the list ;)

Regards,
Michael

Soupe

Oct 27, 2009
Thanks Michael, this is such a great app! Really look forward to each update, nautical units much appreciated:)
How easy would it be to implement quilting / auto loading of next map?

Thanks
Sean

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Map Man

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Sean,

How easy would it be to implement quilting / auto loading of next map?

great that you like MM Tracker :)

But what do you mean by "quilting" ?
Auto loading of maps is actually supported. When GPS-lock is on and you leave a map, the map with the best scale which fits to your position will be automatically loaded.
(Currently no support of subdirs, but this will be fixed)

Regards,
Michael

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MM Tracker patch for JB 4.2

Attached is a patched version of MM Tracker 1.10.4 that should work on Android 4.2 , it does for me :)
    As it is signed with different keys to the original it can not be used to update an already installed MM tracker, you will have to uninstall any existing MMT.

Naf
    MM Tracker Current Version 1.10.6

Hello,

as Map Man is not developing any more on MM Tracker i decided to offer my support to at least keep the project alive for upcoming Android versions.
    Attached you can find the latest version 1.10.6 of MM Tracker which has not too many improvements, but will run on current Android versions.

Feel free to share and distrubute!

Cheers.
    MMTracker - 1.20.0

Please find attached

* 1.20.0 Android 11 release (backwards compatible to Android 4.4)
    *Allow Screen to stay on if power is connected (new default)
    *Power icon at bottom left of screen
    *If routepoints overlap, then only draw the first one. Helps with drawing routes on small scale maps
    *Show both km and miles on the tracking notification
    *New setting in 'Display Options' to allow the scale to always be metric, regardless of what the Distance Units are
    *Allow new button (turned on using User Interface settings), to allow 'Refresh Routes/Tracks/Waypoints'
    *Allow routes, tracks and waypoints to be shared
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
    MMTracker 1.24.0
    *Code changes required for Android 13
    *Automatically download A-GPS data
    *Allow route simplify from mapview route context menu
    *Show route length as an info line when a route is selected
    *Allow routes to be unsimplified and the simplification value to be changed
    *Allow routes to be split and joined
    *Allow search by Lat/Lng using Degree, Minute and Second
    *New User Interface setting - Ignore maps of the same scale
    *Other bug fixes and performance enhancements