[Q] Simple Root? Or another way to enable LTE?

Search This thread

blueandwhiteg3

Aug 1, 2007
Hello,

I left the land of iOS a while back because I was sick of the cat-and-mouse game around jailbreaking. I assured that I could root my Nexus 4 and install whatever I want. The problem is that everything I keep finding about rooting my phone is like *massive* overkill.

I'm used to iOS where jailbreaking simply unlocks the phone so I can do whatever I want. I basically want to achieve that same effect on my phone. It would be ideal if I could even still somehow get system updates from Google after rooting but that might be asking too much.

I've had my phone for some time now and there are only two reasons I want to root it:

1) I want to enable LTE

2) I want to be able to install AdBlock fully

I don't want to install a customized ROM. Everything about my phone is fine. I just want to do the two above things. In fact, I almost don't even care that much about AdBlock. Enabling LTE that is most important to me.

Is it necessary for me to locate a new ROM to do this? If so, where can I find a ROM identical to the one currently installed (everything is up to date) but simply 'unlocked' so I can install the LTE enabler? Is there another way to enable LTE without rooting?

Sorry if this question has been answered, I've searched around, but I seem to be finding lots of not very useful answers.

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
Hello,

I left the land of iOS a while back because I was sick of the cat-and-mouse game around jailbreaking. I assured that I could root my Nexus 4 and install whatever I want. The problem is that everything I keep finding about rooting my phone is like *massive* overkill.

I'm used to iOS where jailbreaking simply unlocks the phone so I can do whatever I want. I basically want to achieve that same effect on my phone. It would be ideal if I could even still somehow get system updates from Google after rooting but that might be asking too much.

I've had my phone for some time now and there are only two reasons I want to root it:

1) I want to enable LTE

2) I want to be able to install AdBlock fully

I don't want to install a customized ROM. Everything about my phone is fine. I just want to do the two above things. In fact, I almost don't even care that much about AdBlock. Enabling LTE that is most important to me.

Is it necessary for me to locate a new ROM to do this? If so, where can I find a ROM identical to the one currently installed (everything is up to date) but simply 'unlocked' so I can install the LTE enabler? Is there another way to enable LTE without rooting?

Sorry if this question has been answered, I've searched around, but I seem to be finding lots of not very useful answers.
I read you post and I think you are asking for something (i.e., LTE) but you don't want to get your hands dirty. So here is my suggestion for you, sell your nexus 4 on swappa and then buy the Nexus 5 which has LTE by default. The price of Nexus 5 has come down very much that you can recoup some by selling the Nexus 4.

blueandwhiteg3

Aug 1, 2007
I never said I'm unwilling to get my hands dirty. I am just trying to find the simplest, cleanest way to do this. Once I identify that, I'll execute.

chada77

Mar 1, 2009
I never said I'm unwilling to get my hands dirty. I am just trying to find the simplest, cleanest way to do this. Once I identify that, I'll execute.

Two main steps really:

1. Root your phone (involves unlocking your bootloader):
a. This will destroy all data on your phone, so back up what you need to
b. This is a great guide to getting it done: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Google-Nexus-4-Unlock-and-Root-Guide/ba-p/6983918"
It uses the graphical toolkit which if you dont want to get your hands dirty makes it much easier than messing around with the command line
c. In summary the process is Download toolkit on PC -> Enable usb debugging on phone -> Install Drivers on PC (from toolkit) -> Unlock Bootloader -> Install Root and Flash Custom Recovery

2. Flash a custom Modem. This enables the LTE/4G:

a. This basically overwrites the radio software with one which has 4G Unlocked
b. bpear96 has written an App that you can get from the Play Store which makes it easier for you to do this: http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/themes-apps/app-nexus-4-modem-flasher-lte-enabler-t2607221)
c. This is a good guide to do so (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-enable-lte-google-nexus-4-e960-1447403), follow the bit that says ‘How to enable LTE on Nexus 4’. You have to choose a LTE Hybrid Modem, flash this (will reboot) and then go back into the app and Say Enable LTE.

At this point your phone should be able to pick up the LTE Signals and should show 4G.
Since you're rooted, you can simply download the AdAway apk and install it.

chrisrozon

Feb 7, 2013
Use the Wugsfresh toolkit to get root, then the LTE Flasher to get LTE.

The hardest part will be getting the right Windows drivers to install, but that's Microsoft's fault not Google :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app