[Q] Help with returning to stock/Stuck at bootloader

Search This thread

alewifebp

Feb 2, 2011
I'm having a problem with my One X and returning it to stock. I've been rooted with S-ON for quite some time now and had the Viper ROM installed. Now it's time to trade it in to Amazon and I wanted to return it to stock and hopefully remove the tampered text. I seem to have gotten myself in to a pickle though and I'm stuck at the bootloader.

I've been using the WinDroid Universal HTC Toolkit to install stuff, I have the unlock.bin file from HTC, and I've been able to communicate with the phone through my Windows 7 computer no problem. But after the last attempt I relocked the phone and not I'm stuck. Here's what it says on the bootloader screen:
*** TAMPERED
*** RELOCKED
*** Security Warning
EVITA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0000

Using the WinDroid kit it shows that it successfully unlocked the bootloader and loaded TWRP, but since it's in fastboot, WinDroid doesn't recognize the phone model and won't let me send any files to it though. When I reboot the phone in to recovery, it returns me to the bootloader.

Anyone have any advice?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
First piece of advice: ditch the toolkit, you don't need it. The best way for you to go about this is to follow these steps:

1) Unlock the bootloader again.

2) Flash TWRP again.

3) Flash a ROM.

4) Get s-off (this is the most important step, and all the previous steps were all leading to this).

5) Run an at&t RUU (to return the phone to stock, I'm assuming it's the at&t model?).

6) Return the CID to the original CID.

Code:
fastboot oem writecid CWS__001

7) Relock the bootloader.

Code:
fastboot oem lock

8) Return the phone to s-on.

Code:
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

Voila.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: alewifebp

alewifebp

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the help so far. Under your advice I'm using fastboot commands manually to try and get this to work. So now I'm unlocked again, but I'm having a problem flashing TWRP. I downloaded the latest TWRP for the Evita and ran fastboot flash recovery evita.img (that's what I renamed the file to). It tells me that sending and writing was OKAY, so it should work. Then I try to reboot to recovery from the bootloader menu, and it fails after this. It appears to boot something up, I get a blank screen, then it reboots again on it's own without showing the TWRP menus.

What am I doing wrong?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You can't reboot to the recovery, you can only reboot to the bootloader and then manually select recovery using the hardware buttons (volume = scroll, power = select). The whole process should go like this:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery evita.img
Code:
fastboot erase cache
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you can manually select recovery and it should hopefully boot into it.

Sent from my Evita

alewifebp

Feb 2, 2011
That's what I did, although I just tried these steps again. When I used the volume/power buttons and chose recovery, it reboots as it should, then it tries to load the recovery, fails, then reboots and starts up the phone. I should note, and this might be the problem, is that phone boots up totally in to the full blown OS. It's Android 4.1.1 with the 3.18 kernel.

I have SuperCID, and the phone says it is unlocked with S-ON.

Does it make sense and try to flash the 2.15 firmware at this point since my HBOOT is older?

alewifebp

Feb 2, 2011
I tried another thing since I can actually use the phone and I'm rooted, I installed GooManager from the store and let that install the recovery then rebooted. It did the same thing. At the very least, if I could only get TWRP working I could recover a TWRP backup I made.

And ultimately, the phone works at this point, I just want to remove the tampered text and keep it at stock. Since I have a working ROM, should I just follow your steps 6, 7 and 8? Do I still need to achieve S-Off and worry about the recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First piece of advice: ditch the toolkit, you don't need it. The best way for you to go about this is to follow these steps:

1) Unlock the bootloader again.

2) Flash TWRP again.

3) Flash a ROM.

4) Get s-off (this is the most important step, and all the previous steps were all leading to this).

5) Run an at&t RUU (to return the phone to stock, I'm assuming it's the at&t model?).

6) Return the CID to the original CID.

Code:
    fastboot oem writecid CWS__001

7) Relock the bootloader.

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) Return the phone to s-on.

Code:
    fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

Voila.

Sent from my Evita