[How To] Fix md5 mismatch nandroid restore

Search This thread
D

droidpr0

:)

all i did was change my folder that help all my backed up files that were in Folder named Stockrom to 2010-06-29.20.22.53 just that setup like when u first do a backup.. im sure u could change the numbers a bit but it passed md5 check right away and worked!!! hope this helps. If this helps please thanks me!! im glad to help anyone

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

And no you dont have to fix the md5 through ADB... u can do it just by hooking ur phone up..!!

Mix3d

Feb 24, 2008
Amherst
Thanks a TON~

Turns out I also had the issue with spaces... (boot manager lite broke my rom by backing up a corrupt boot.img, and then I ran into this problem)

I made a backup of the nandroid.md5, rather than just deleting it, so I could compare and see which file was not matching, and oddly enough, the md5sums were the same, so I dove further into the thread, and lo and behold, I WAS USING SPACES IN THE FOLDER NAME!

hooray!

CWM should fix that, imo.

xpanmanx

Sep 6, 2010
St. Louis
In my situation, I'd renamed the backup folder using CWR to something like this: "Calkulin_2.9.2._2012-03-11" All I had to do was rename the folder to "2012-03-11".

Reactions: Ulukita

BohArie

Dec 15, 2011
Kuching
where to put the code on terminal emulator on our phone or using android sdk on windows 7 cmd? im using winndows 7 and already put android sdk...

simple man

Dec 25, 2010
Missouri
I just type su ,(to get superuser rights)then the return key, then copy and paste the commands in the OP , leaving out the # in front of each line. But you need to change the backup name to your exact backup name, date, etc..,then return key. Then use a file explorer to make sure you have a md5 checksum file in the backup folder.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

KodeRiter722

Mar 6, 2011
Boston, MA
when i follow the guide in the first post, everything goes okay untill it gets to the last step, then i get the error:

md5sum: not found

i'm running win 7 x64, do i need to put the md5sum.exe (downloaded a random version i found googlin) into a specific folder? i tried putting it into all of the android-sdk directories and still no luck... any help greatly appreciated

EDIT: nevermind, solved it by using busybox :)

Just to elaborate on this, if folks are also seeing this same error (md5sum: not found) when they get to the last step in the guide, just repeat the process, but this time on the last step, use the command:

Code:
# busybox md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

this worked for me

Last edited:

crz6662

Jan 30, 2009
pgh, pa
Wondering if moving from an internal to an external SD card would affect the backup? Rooted/Flashed TMO SGS2. Moved from internal 16GB to external 32GB card and couldn't flash the backup. MD5 mismatch. As I recall I attempted to switch back to internal and it still wouldn't work. Never changed the name, and was able to locate the backup via ClockWorkMod on the external card.

KodeRiter722

Mar 6, 2011
Boston, MA
Wondering if moving from an internal to an external SD card would affect the backup? Rooted/Flashed TMO SGS2. Moved from internal 16GB to external 32GB card and couldn't flash the backup. MD5 mismatch. As I recall I attempted to switch back to internal and it still wouldn't work. Never changed the name, and was able to locate the backup via ClockWorkMod on the external card.

I have had issues moving backups between internal and external storage. Once you move it back to your internal sd, try this process again, and it should work.

prudviraj

Aug 6, 2007
Los Angeles
OP instructions worked like a charm for my galaxy Note

OP instructions worked like a charm for my galaxy Note... keep up the good work guys.. XDA is awesome.. :)

LegionCmndr

Feb 5, 2011
started adb shell and navigated to the folder where the backup was stored

md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

created a successfull md5, and no less then 3 days after i tried this she somehow got the phone to go into a boot loop. i booted it into recovery and restored the phone and all was well

directions worked for my daughters samsung vibrant
MIUI with CWM 5.0.?.?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I figured I would post this fix here in case anyone else ran into this problem. This is assuming you did not change the folder names and let Clockworkmod create them. I haven't had it happen until today, but it's not a nice message to see when you are trying to do a restore.

Code:
    Checking MD5 sums...
    MD5 mismatch!

To fix this problem use the code below. Substitute the final folder name for the backup you need to fix.

Code:
    adb shell
    # cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53
    # rm nandroid.md5
    # md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

When that finishes, re-run the restore and everything should be fine.

NOTE: As rpearl stated, there could be something really wrong with your nandroid, so use this tutorial as a learning experience and not a fix-all. In my case, everything was fine after restoring. However, that may not always be the case. Do this with caution.
    I had a md5 mismatch and was freaking out. Turned out that the folder name for my backup couldn't have spaces in it...
    The best solution for such a problem, if I ever happen to face one is:

1. Create an empty text document on your desktop.
    2. Rename it to "nandroid.md5"
    3. Place this renamed empty text document (nandroid.md5) in your clockworkmod backup folder.
    4. Try restoring again. It should work.

PS:
    What basically has been done here is that the CWM has been made to skip MD5 checking by placing an empty md5 in the backup folder. This is the only solution I adopt whenever a md5 error is seen. CWM keeps omitting the nandroid.md5 file while creating backups!

PPS:
    A humble thanks is very much appreciated if I have been of any help to anyone! :D
    when i follow the guide in the first post, everything goes okay untill it gets to the last step, then i get the error:

md5sum: not found

i'm running win 7 x64, do i need to put the md5sum.exe (downloaded a random version i found googlin) into a specific folder? i tried putting it into all of the android-sdk directories and still no luck... any help greatly appreciated

EDIT: nevermind, solved it by using busybox :)

Just to elaborate on this, if folks are also seeing this same error (md5sum: not found) when they get to the last step in the guide, just repeat the process, but this time on the last step, use the command:

Code:
    # busybox md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

this worked for me
    Worked like a charm, thanks a bunch OP. Had a recent backup generate this md5 mismatch error, you saved me a lot of work.

For noobs: ADB commands are entered via an ADB shell.

1. Download the Android SDK here, and the Java SE Development Kit here. Install Java kit FIRST, then Android SDK.

2. Ensure you have the Android USB drivers installed, which you should if you have already rooted and performed a nandroid backup, whether you used Amon RA or ClockworkMod Recovery.

3. On your device, enable USB debugging and when you plugin your phone to your PC, make sure you select 'Charge Only'.

4. In the Android SDK, you will have to select and download the latest SDK Platform-tools, and you can safely ignore the other software packages for the purposes of this issue.

5. Once you've done that, open a command prompt, browse over to the directory where you installed the Android SDK, and in the current version, you will have to browse to the \Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools folder. Once you are there, type in 'adb shell' without quotes.

6. You can now enter adb commands. You are entering commands as root if your cursor is a pound sign '#'. If it isn't, type in 'su' without quotes, which requests superuser access. Your phone's screen will prompt you to allow or deny root access to the command shell. Allow it, and you are good to go.

***This is all from memory, so if I've missed something, feel free to correct.