[Q] Broken glass

Search This thread

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Thanks guys, this is just the info I came for. My 4 y/o nephew dropped my mother's tab and shattered the screen. I had just bought her a case a couple days ago because I knew this was going to happen sooner or later!

Thanks krispijn_s for the pics and the heads up on issues you faced. Anyone else got little tips/warnings for others that are about to do this?

phill971

Jul 25, 2010
ok..the glass is here:).....but:eek:!!!! too smallllll!!!!:(:mad:
they write perfect fit for galaxy tabs 10.1...but the glass maybe is for a 8.9...not much!!!
return to sellers, refound e now try another one shop...

DanVazz

Sep 4, 2010
I've now replaced my digitizer - my problem is that it won't work properly... I can't do my unlocking code, since it wont register my swype across the screen - but it will work if i press one dot at a time - only in some cases it will register 2 dots. What can cause this problem?

Problem fixed - the connector somehow didnt get properly connected xD

Last edited:
Reactions: GorillaPimp

Matrix_19

Sep 5, 2011
Quebec City
I've now replaced my digitizer - my problem is that it won't work properly... I can't do my unlocking code, since it wont register my swype across the screen - but it will work if i press one dot at a time - only in some cases it will register 2 dots. What can cause this problem?

Problem fixed - the connector somehow didnt get properly connected xD

I've got the same problem with mine...
fortunately, I remembered your post and I made it work after playing a bit with the connector .

--

Thank you everyone in this thread for all the informations...
I was confident enough to do it because of you, and my Tab is perfect now

I just hope my 2 years old daughter won't make me drop my tab again lol

zopailot

Jan 11, 2011
Galaxy Tab digitizer from ebay is not Gorilla Glass

hello guys,

I've recently shattered my Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen and immediately went to ebay to find a digitizer, well I found one:
[ebaydotcom]/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-P7500-P7501-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Replacement-/270916632936?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f13e3c168#ht_2136wt_1270

the problem is that it is not Gorilla Glass, it is plain plastic. so I threw 65USD to the garbage. the plastic digitizer may work, but it is not OEM gorilla glass.

now I've paid 165 USD + 40USD shipping to get my tablet fixed. I've sent it to IFixYouri.com. I asked if the digitizer was gorilla glass and they say they use only OEM products.

they say they got some parts, but not meeting their standards so they were receiving it on friday.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I do have a question for the guys that repaired their tabs.

the replacement digitizer was gorilla glass or was it plastic??

gunzo71

Aug 24, 2010
hello guys,

I've recently shattered my Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen and immediately went to ebay to find a digitizer, well I found one:
[ebaydotcom]/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-P7500-P7501-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Replacement-/270916632936?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f13e3c168#ht_2136wt_1270

the problem is that it is not Gorilla Glass, it is plain plastic. so I threw 65USD to the garbage. the plastic digitizer may work, but it is not OEM gorilla glass.

now I've paid 165 USD + 40USD shipping to get my tablet fixed. I've sent it to IFixYouri.com. I asked if the digitizer was gorilla glass and they say they use only OEM products.

they say they got some parts, but not meeting their standards so they were receiving it on friday.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I do have a question for the guys that repaired their tabs.

the replacement digitizer was gorilla glass or was it plastic??

There's no 'plastic' digitizer .. all are supposed to be glass .. and not gorilla glass too .. :)

jacampb2

Apr 21, 2012
Beaverton
www.rollmeover.com
There's no 'plastic' digitizer .. all are supposed to be glass .. and not gorilla glass too .. :)

Agreed. Well, sort of, the actual digitizer is a sheet of plastic adhered to the back side of the glass "lens". The whole shebang is commonly referred to as the digitizer, but it is really only the film on the back that digitizes. I have never seen them sold in separate pieces, but I guess anything is possible.

As to "gorilla glass" I have no idea where that notion came from, I can't find any official documentation reflecting this. I wish they had it out of the box, but as far as I can find, they don't.

I just replaced the digitizer on my tab a few weeks ago. It is straightforward as mentioned previously. I did use a heat gun on mine. You have to be very careful with heat so as not to damage the LCD, but it does make the job a bit easier. It still takes a lot of patience. I was at it for more than an hour start to finish.

Good Luck,
Jason

fenderbasher

Jan 11, 2009
Added tip for glass replacement

Hi folks!
Had some luck following the steps here. I just replaced the glass on a 7" Galaxy Tab for a friend of the wife; she provided the replacement glass ass'y and a cheap tool kit, and most importantly a 6-pack of hard cider as my fee!

Just wanted to add that I put down strips of packing tape on the front of the unit to hold all the glass together as I disassembled it. Worked like a champ! No glass shards or particles came off, and it was totally easy to dispose of at the end.

616967_4601540843505_1346249602_o.jpg

Reactions: Matrix_19

Oreoto

Aug 4, 2014
Revision Digitizer

Hello Everyone,
I have replace Digitizer glass before on other tablets but I been running curious about something before I order it. Everyone should know that some part have different revision when you install to its unit some say its 03 or 04 at the digitizer flex cable. I have the t859 10.1 samsung and the revision use its the 04. What happen if I put a different revision number to the t859 10.1? Does it cause any malfunction? Please let me know if anyone have experience about it.
Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced my wife tab's screen a week or so ago. Note that this is a P7510. I ordered my replacement unit from ebay ( link ). They even threw in some tools (such as the plastic triangle you'll need). How kind :)

1_broken.jpg
    Definitely broken

Before you start: WEAR LATEX GLOVES! Shattered screen is shattered, so bits of glass might get onto your hands or worse: cut you.

You have to seperate the screen/unit from the backcover with a plastic triangle or plectrum. Then carefully detach the flatcable and I'd recommend pulling out the battery plug as well to prevent the unit from turning on while you work on it.

Here's a pic of where the two connectors are located on the back of the device (click for larger!):
    4_backview.jpg

Here is a vid that'll give you some reference to what you'll be doing. It also shows how the battery plug and digitizer connector can be unplugged. Vid here

2_knifetotallynecessary.jpg
    Knife totally necessary

Then remove the screen by either carefully cutting through the glue (that's what I did; be very very patient) or by heating the bezel with a heat gun (not tested, but saw this in a repair vid). As you can see from the image above, I used a dull knife for this which I kept pointed away from the device and sort-of into the back of the glass plate. Stay away from the LCD underneath the glass: it's a very soft surface and you can damage it if you're not careful with your sharp object of choice.

Keep a vacuumcleaner handy; there might be a lot of little glass shards coming of the tab. You also might want to do this operation in a box of some sort to collect all the glass coming of.

3_faceoff.jpg
    Face off!!

Then patiently remove excess glue. Don't worry about buying double sided tape: the replacement digitizer has an adhesive layer on the back.

Before you put the new screen on: this is THE time to wipe the LCD clean. Most likely there will be dust and fingerprints on it. Wipe it clean because it will be locked under the new glassplate when you're done. This might also be the moment to stop and marvel at the pretty internals of the device :)

After that it's just a matter of properly aligning the screen (note the camera holes!) and carefully lowering it onto the unit, making sure it's straight. I used my fingers as guides to make sure all edges were aligned.

If it is properly alligned, press down on the bezel and it should be fixed to your Tab. Flip the unit over and reattach the digitizer flatcable and then the batteryplug. Finally, pop on the back cover again and make sure it snaps into place all around. When I did this, the rubber seal of the microphone (next to the connector at the bottom of the device; in the pic I posted somewhat on the left where that white sticker ends) came loose. I noticed this and just pressed it back on; be sure to check this before you snap the backcover onto the device.

6_goodasnew.jpg

And you're done!!! Good as new. Also it is now my Tab :)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an electronics repairman, just someone who's stupid enough to just go at it. I might've done some big no-no's (like the knife), but the result is pretty good looking. You should be able to do this if you have a reasonable steady hand and patience.
    Hi .. I have the same thing happen to me ..

I replaced mine with the replacement from ebay ..

Its actually a simple swap .. but you will need a triangle screwdriver

The other thing you need to watch out for when removing the broken glass is .. well broken glass .. it shattered into millions of tiny shards .. so be careful ..

The glue that sticks the glass to the case is quite sticky .. so if you pry .. make sure you don't scratch the lcd screen underneath .. there's about 0.5" of space around the rim thats just the gluey tape no LCD .. ;)
    Just received the glass from the Ebay vendor listed here .. it fits nicely ;)

it is definitely heavier than standard tab .. so could be stronger glass as claimed ..

I just swapped out my previous one versus the new one .. here's some comparison

I apologise .. the previous model glass I bought was P7100 .. the P7500 and P7510 are the same

Hi Guys,

What are the findings/ experiences on the screen?? Because Ebay sellers still offer the screens as the same size.

Maybe it has something to do with different bezel sizes?? Like the 3g version you have to screw with the connector and the wifi versions not.

I started my own thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1427555
    there's a difference .. I spent 100usd finding that out .. I bought a P7500 for my P7510 ..

The 7500 is SMALLER than the 7510 .. I don't know why .. the glass doesn't cover the entire 7510 ..

doesn't matter if you're using gorilla glass (ie ipad2 BIG DEAL) .. it still shatters LOL