Poll: Does your HTC One's speaker pop/crackle?

Does your HTC One's speaker pop/crackle?

• Yes

Votes: 341 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 289 45.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

danv28

Apr 22, 2013
I know there's threads regarding this issue, but I want to see just how many HTC One owners are experiencing this issue exactly. Whenever you play any audio on the HTC One, there tends to be a popping sound after the audio is done, approximately 2 seconds after. It's noticeable in a quiet environment, and also whenever watching YouTube videos the audio cracks.

So, test out your phone. Play any audio on your phone, put your ear close to the front speakers and listen for any crackling or popping once the audio is done.

On a similar note: Those who got the latest OTA update of 1.29, has the update fixed this issue?

Thanks.

Fensy

Dec 15, 2009
London
I know there's threads regarding this issue, but I want to see just how many HTC One owners are experiencing this issue exactly. Whenever you play any audio on the HTC One, there tends to be a popping sound after the audio is done, approximately 2 seconds after. It's noticeable in a quiet environment, and also whenever watching YouTube videos the audio cracks.

So, test out your phone. Play any audio on your phone, put your ear close to the front speakers and listen for any crackling or popping once the audio is done.

On a similar note: Those who got the latest OTA update of 1.29, has the update fixed this issue?

Thanks.

Yes, already posted in the other threads. Still waiting on OTA update to see if it helps...

simba2585

Jul 12, 2008
I just noticed this today.

Pretty sure the previous handsets didn't have this popping sound. Is it a fault? Seems to be at the end of audio like the volume rocker but I noticed it when in silent aswell . That doesn't make sense.

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
I think it's too much power going to the amp. Fixable in a software update I imagine. I just recently noticed my nexus 4 does it from time to time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

jcracken

Oct 5, 2011
Litchfield Park
I don't know if this is the same thing, but my speaker crackles like crazy at times. For example, if I run this app on my Nexus 7, it sounds normal. Run it on my One, though, and its constantly crackling and sounding like my speakers are blowing out.

Nfinity

Jul 26, 2009
Mine doesn't crackle, but one of the speakers (bottom) is louder than the other. Also, the top one completely died a few hours ago, which was remedied by a soft reset. Looking into an exchange.

babajabajaba

Apr 16, 2013
Mine crackles when I watch YouTube videos too. I haven't noticed it on anywhere else (playing RR3 the sound is good).

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Mine crackles and pops during audio playback, most noticeably YouTube. It doesn't happen every time but it definitely happens every once in awhile.

It's about the only flaw my phone has and I'm going to be patient enough to wait and see if an update corrects this problem. If it doesn't, I think I'll live with it because I'm not extremely picky or OCD like some of the people on here.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: EnIXmA

TheXxbeastxx420

Jul 19, 2012
turn off beats audio in the settings and the crackling will stop

Turn off the beats audio in the setting and the crackling will stop my htc one has that same problem when watching YouTube videos only and turning off beats stopped it try it let me know if that helps

Reactions: vynu

jbarrack

Dec 19, 2011
I just noticed it for the first time tonight watching YouTube videos. Some videos had the crackle and snapping, some didn't. I watch videos every night on the phone and this is the first I've noticed it. Hopefully a software update fixes it.

I'll have to try turning off Beats when watching YouTube and see if that works.

FacingAli

May 30, 2012
May be another defect

This may be another defect. I love the HTC One but quality control is a problem. I got a 64 GB developer edition and had no big gaps (extremely slight gap at the top) or other defects but my screen was not glued on correctly. The top of the screen was higher than the speakers and every time I dragged my finger across the notification bar I felt a catch. I ordered another one and planned to return the original. I looked at the original and noticed a few differences. For reference my original one is HT34GW###### and the newest one is FA34PW######

1. Original one had only a slight gap, new one also had a gap but was a little bigger and longer

2. Original one has a very high color temperature. Never noticed this until I saw it side by side with the new one. Original whites are very blue and new one looks much better. I don't mind the blue color temperature but it is most pronounced looking at a pure white screen, a pure black screen, and skin tones. The human eye has an amazing ability to adjust to color temperature based on a "known" white. Anandtech gave this phone a great review but criticized it's very high (8000K+) color temperature. Must have had my original one.

3. The new one speaker's pop/crackle. Exactly the problem stated in this thread. Original one never does this. I played some videos side by side at the exact same time using max brightness and volume and the original sounded great and the new one had a pop/crackle at certain times. The new one also had more noise/hiss. Not extremely noticeable but it was there. When using two units side by side it is noticeable only on max volume and right next to your ear.

4. Maybe I am imagining this, but they seemed to have a different weights. Very slight but the new one seemed a couple of grams heavier.

5. Perhaps this is because of the color temperature differences, but the new one seemed to be more dim when I used automatic brightness. This is probably due to human perception but the blue tint on the original one seemed brighter and clearer at automatic brightness. At full brightness both looked like they had the same resolution and brightness.

6. I haven't used the new one that much to see it heat up but my original one does get very warm with heavy use, while charging, or with max brightness.

7. I will occasionally randomly lose LTE signal and/or see a drastic decrease in reception. If I turn mobile data off, then back on the LTE signal regains full strength. Not sure what this is about.

I think I will keep my original one. The screen being offset is annoying but once my case gets here it won't matter. Great phone. Screen is razor sharp. I always thought 1080p on a cellphone was overkill but now I can say it is not. I am coming from an AT&T Galaxy Note and there is huge difference. RGB kills pentile every time (sorry S4). Even though the screen is only 4.7" the quality more than makes up for the lost screen real estate on my 5.3" note. Sound is amazing (on the original one, as the popping/crackling drives me crazy on the new one).

tomoffel

Jun 11, 2007
moffel.de
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Hey my friends,

I have my phone now for around a month noted the strange sounds from the beginning, and even after the last OTA the sounds are audible.. but just minor..

Yesterday I got a Whatsapp and the notification sound was really cracky and "dirty" In German I would say "zerrupft".. :eek:

I tested it a few minutes with videos and music and the speaker seems to be really broken now..

Tomorrow I will go to the o2 Shop and try to send the phone back and let it repair.. And/or hope tho get a new one..

Cross your fingers! :thumbup:

Gesendet von meinem HTC One

Dharkan

Sep 16, 2012
İstanbul
If you are listening to low quality audio, it will crackle, it will mono quality instead of stereo too.

Try to listen videos/music with bitrate 320 or higher. Or you might have a defect or software issue too, It depends on the phone.

tomoffel

Jun 11, 2007
moffel.de
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
tried some of my flac and normal mp3, also youtube and even the startup sound is cracking, its definitely a hardware defect :crying:
I called to the hotline of o2 and the gave me all the documents to send it back. Hope it goes on warranty :fingers-crossed:

EnIXmA

Feb 16, 2012
Mississauga, on
My speakers crackle on few songs and YouTube. Most of the songs plays well,
Should I get a replacement or is this normal?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium HD app

I have a Sprint version that I bought from the spirit store directly. I haven't noticed any popping our crackling noises fir as long as I've had it. Although based on what some people have said regarding this and vibrate motor issues, it does sound like there is a bit of a quality control problem at htc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    its the speaker turning off. i just tried the same thing on my galaxy s2 and it made the same sound after 2 seconds.
    Mine crackles and pops during audio playback, most noticeably YouTube. It doesn't happen every time but it definitely happens every once in awhile.

It's about the only flaw my phone has and I'm going to be patient enough to wait and see if an update corrects this problem. If it doesn't, I think I'll live with it because I'm not extremely picky or OCD like some of the people on here.

turn off beats audio in the settings and the crackling will stop

Turn off the beats audio in the setting and the crackling will stop my htc one has that same problem when watching YouTube videos only and turning off beats stopped it try it let me know if that helps
    My speakers crackle on few songs and YouTube. Most of the songs plays well,
    Should I get a replacement or is this normal?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium HD app

Yes take it back and deal with gaps and or dead pixels or other issues instead of a occasional crack here in there.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
    HTC are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.