[Q] Auto Rotation Issues

Search This thread

Grorbabrag

Nov 1, 2010
I've been having problems with my Nexus 7 (2013) for about a week now.
The problem consist of it not rotating between portrait and landscape mode, even though "auto-rotate" is enabled. This happens regardless of the application opened. However opening an application that forces the orientation will change it without issues, exiting the application then results in that setting being the new setting.

For instance, opening Google Play Books forces my tablet into portrait mode, then opening Chrome keeps this setting and I am unable to change it by rotating my device, then opening a video or similar in MX Player forces it into landscape and this setting will be kept until it is again forced into another orientation by some other app.

The weird part is that rebooting the device will result in the functionality being restored for random amounts of time. It is probably not random as there must be something that causes it, however I have been unable to determine the cause of it.

Is there anyway to see what "calls" are being made to change the rotation, or what is preventing these from executing?

Device information:
  • ROM: Nexus FLO KOTH49H Stock
  • Rooted: Yes
  • Kernel: 3.4.0-Bulletproof-2.1+ by flar2
  • Xposed modules:
    • BubbleUPnP
    • GravityBox [KK] [2.9.9]
    • XHaloFloatingWindows [2.22 Beta]
    • XPrivacy [2.0.2]

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
Have the same problem. It comed and goes away for a while. And then again rotation not working (a few hours max in my case). Found several Google Discussion Group topics 4-6 months ago and it seems to happen a lot /sometimes on all Nexus devices. Even some Google developpers responded there. Facory resets or reflashing stock rom did not help. Most likely a firmware-problem otherwise rotation would never work

Untill firmware solution comes, I now use Rotation Control Pro for the time being. That is only few times a month. This app has free version too with less options (and maybe ads which are blocked on my device). Ultimate Rotation Contol is nicer app but it has only time trial and can not be switched off within app unlike Rotation Control Pro/Free.

You can look for other rotation control app. Then choose one still being updated. Most rotation apps haven' been updated for year(s) And the app must have option 'force' rotation to work when Android's own rotation control freezed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 (2013) met Tapatalk

Grorbabrag

Nov 1, 2010
Have the same problem. It comed and goes away for a while. And then again rotation not working (a few hours max in my case). Found several Google Discussion Group topics 4-6 months ago and it seems to happen a lot /sometimes on all Nexus devices. Even some Google developpers responded there. Facory resets or reflashing stock rom did not help. Most likely a firmware-problem otherwise rotation would never work

Untill firmware solution comes, I now use Rotation Control Pro for the time being. That is only few times a month. This app has free version too with less options (and maybe ads which are blocked on my device). Ultimate Rotation Contol is nicer app but it has only time trial and can not be switched off within app unlike Rotation Control Pro/Free.

You can look for other rotation control app. Then choose one still being updated. Most rotation apps haven' been updated for year(s) And the app must have option 'force' rotation to work when Android's own rotation control freezed.

I've looked around a bit and I probably stumbled upon the same thread you did. However I have yet to find a solution for it. I'm also curious to know if anyone else has been experiencing this problem, as that would suggest a real firmware/hardware problem.

You also mentioned that you only have this issue occasionally, like once or twice a month? I can hardly go a few hours after reboot until the issue occurs.

There are ways around it of course, but I am suspecting that my device might be defective on a hardware basis. In addition my left speaker has been starting to crackle a bit at certain frequencies... I might have to RMA this one.

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
I've looked around a bit and I probably stumbled upon the same thread you did. However I have yet to find a solution for it. I'm also curious to know if anyone else has been experiencing this problem, as that would suggest a real firmware/hardware problem.

You also mentioned that you only have this issue occasionally, like once or twice a month? I can hardly go a few hours after reboot until the issue occurs.

There are ways around it of course, but I am suspecting that my device might be defective on a hardware basis. In addition my left speaker has been starting to crackle a bit at certain frequencies... I might have to RMA this one.

I don't think a hardware error rotatating otherwise never rotation. But not 100% shure. And if speaker cracks certainly a good reason to RMA if you can not find solution for that.

I am planning to RMA my Nexus just before warranty expires. Little screen bleed next to volume buttons. Hopefully (but probably not) receive a brand new one after been using it for almost a year...

But 1st buy new bigger phone or extra tablet/convertable. Since this tablet can't live without. Using laptop these days often feels like punnishment.

AarSyl

Here's a thought. I would start with disabling XPosed Framework, and reboot. If that doesn't solve anything, then backup your rom (if you like), and perform a clean wipe, and also a clean flash. That way, anything installed to /system is removed as well. Install Chrome, and check the auto rotation. One by one, install other apps that might be the problem, and reboot in between them. While this will be time consuming, you need to know if your gyroscope went bad or not.

Side note: A factory reset (data wipe) through TWRP does NOT remove any apps/mods installed to the /system partition.

Last edited: