Samsung Galaxy Note BLACK CRUSH Demo

Search This thread

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
OK the weirdness continues. Now my official release looks like the one in the middle. That's the one from the pre release.
I can say that flashing the pre release went without error and the other did have a hiccup. Yesterday I had cleared caches to see if that was the reason but the third pic stayed the same.
Today I cleared them again and also cleared Google play data cache. Now it looks like the pre release photo above. I can't think of anything else I altered today or last night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

I can confirm this. Didn't want to post because it makes no sense. I didn't even clear my cache or change anything with my ROM. Yesterday I had a hard clip between 6-7. Now today, EXACT same image, viewing in the same app (Quickpic on 32-bit) and same brightness, mine looks just like your middle image. :confused:

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
I can confirm this. Didn't want to post because it makes no sense. I didn't even clear my cache or change anything with my ROM. Yesterday I had a hard clip between 6-7. Now today, EXACT same image, viewing in the same app (Quickpic on 32-bit) and same brightness, mine looks just like your middle image. :confused:

All I can say is this has to do with Quickpic. The clipping is obvious in Gallery, Dropbox, any other image viewer. But with Quickpic, it shows the hard clipping for a split second, then flashes to a decent transition across the numbers. I thought it was the 32-bit mode, but turning that off and on has no effect. No real changes honestly, just strange the Quickpic is showing something completely different today over yesterday.

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
All I can say is this has to do with Quickpic. The clipping is obvious in Gallery, Dropbox, any other image viewer. But with Quickpic, it shows the hard clipping for a split second, then flashes to a decent transition across the numbers. I thought it was the 32-bit mode, but turning that off and on has no effect. No real changes honestly, just strange the Quickpic is showing something completely different today over yesterday.

Your right

Sent from the TermiNOTEr! ;)

schrochem

Jul 21, 2011
I'd agree with that because I see that quick flash too. Didn't quickpic update last night? Hmmm

tenderchkn

Feb 12, 2012

I can confirm this as well, with the latest update of QuickPic. I am still on DAGr8's Alpha 2. Same exact behavior.

dvd7000

Apr 7, 2012
LG V20
Google Pixel 3 XL
Looks like crap, almost as mine. Mine is even worse. 2.3.6.

I was wondering if the "fix" of moving the cut off to just below the #4 rectangle (mine is just below #1) results in a more pleasing (albeit still not correct) viewing experience.

A recent post (deleted?) by Stang70Fastback had a link to the Glee demo video played back on a Note that displayed much less crushing effect.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dAoremXgY

Although I'm not able to clearly see what his gamma test pattern looked like, I'm guessing that it might be similar to yours.

Dark Sol

May 30, 2012
I was wondering if the "fix" of moving the cut off to just below the #4 rectangle (mine is just below #1) results in a more pleasing (albeit still not correct) viewing experience.

A recent post (deleted?) by Stang70Fastback had a link to the Glee demo video played back on a Note that displayed much less crushing effect.:

Although I'm not able to clearly see what his gamma test pattern looked like, I'm guessing that it might be similar to yours.
I wish i knew. This is all so confusing. All i know is that the screen issue is there. And it has something to do with both the bit depth, palette and maybe the screen itself.
If i use Voodoo adjuster and pull it to the left then the whole screen turns into total BLACK CRUSH. If i move it at about 80% left then i get 0-8 completely black in pattern as opposed to 0-4 in normal lighting.

Also = the pattern looks COMPLETELY black in full rgb on my Philips Full hd TV.

Sammy631

Feb 21, 2012
I have the same problem as OP! Good job on your thread. Please make a sticky untill it's fixed.

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
This issue is honestly the only reason I'm even considering a SGS3. I watch A LOT of videos on my Note, and the crush is there in practically all of them -- which is especially embarrassing if you're trying to show someone else a video. I've even had several people ask me what is wrong with my screen!

Sadly, since they share screen tech, I suspect the SGS3 may also suffer from at least a little black clipping... I guess we'll all find out soon enough. :(

jjc5891

Feb 28, 2012
Is the screen on the gs3 the same pentile or whatever its called by Samsung?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
Is the screen on the gs3 the same pentile or whatever its called by Samsung?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app
Yes. It's supposed to be a slightly improved version, but it's still just a pentile Super AMOLED (without the "plus") like we have in our Note...

Last edited:

satishp

Jul 12, 2012
Check out GSMArena

Guys, check out GSMArena. I've reported the matter to them and they've published it. Everyone who are affected do leave a comment for the article at gsmarena.

Reactions: Izzue and paleh0rse

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check out GSMArena

Guys, check out GSMArena. I've reported the matter to them and they've published it. Everyone who are affected do leave a comment for the article at gsmarena.
    Mine was purchased a little over a week ago at a local AT&T store in the USA. It is the SGH-I717 and is mfg. in Korea.

When I play Netflix or You Tube (HQ streams) of B&W movies with dark scenes and/or fade ins/outs, the picture becomes pixelated and blocky. As if there was no gray scale, just blotchy blobs. My older Captivate plays these scenes perfectly.

I made a video showing this problem. It shows a comparison of my Samsung Captivate, and my new Galaxy Note. Here is the You Tube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8aIGeLERg

I have tried to post about this issue to the AT&T reviews forum several times, but they will not accept the post. I wonder why?..... [NOT!]

There is a test pattern in this forum in another thread. Here is the link:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1559800

It has a 22 rectangular block grid of different gray scale gradations, from white to black. Does your Note reproduce this test correctly (a gradual darkening of all the blocks until the numbers from 7 to 0 are difficult to see), or does it look like mine (all the numbers from 21 to 1 are visible, and 0 is completely black?

I LOVE this phone but for this one irritating problem. I truly hope that a fix is forthcoming from Samsung.
    No, this person already posted these videos and mentioned that their posts are getting revoked on the AT&T site. And in the old thread, so they knew it existed. Why the new account??

It's not a new account. I remember him having 9 posts in my black clipping thread. But since it got deleted, so did all of his posts. That's why he's showing 1 post.

Edit: Since no one has helped him post a link yet, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8aIGeLERg
    Has the clipping problem improved on the Seraphim ROM? I haven't had time to flash yet, but someone posted a photo last night right before the thread got deleted, and it showed improvement.

Exact same as ICS leak for me, major clip between 6 and 7.
    Do you guys have a link to the grayscale pic you are using to test this? Thanks

Post 1 here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1559800