ODIN not recognizing phone

Search This thread
Oct 5, 2010
New York
I recently soft-bricked my Vibrant so now it get stuck at the Vibrant screen and it is hardware locked. I can get my phone into download mode using adb but then it does not show up in ODIN. When I plug the phone in during the Vibrant screen, it shows up as COM 6 but then it is removed when it gets to Download mode.
I searched around for a while looking for a solution and tried a bunch of things but nothing worked.
Also, when I plug my phone in during download mode, it says "The USB device attached to the computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

I'm on Windows XP 32-bit

Last edited:

ckalima

Sep 23, 2010
PC Not Recognizing Vibrant in Download Mode

My stock, rooted Vibrant was soft-bricked by the latest update. I've been following the instructions on this thread: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803492, but cannot get Odin to recognize the device in Download Mode.

One caveat of my current situation is that I'm running Windows XP (32bit) on VMWare on a Mac. Not sure if this is the cause of my pain, but I simply don't have a PC handy.

Currently, when the phone is connected via USB in Recovery Mode, it mounts and everything is cheery. Even on the Mac side, adb recognizes the device and lets me tunnel into it. But the instant I boot into Download Mode the computer no longer recognizes it.

I've reinstalled drivers, tried using 64-bit versions of drivers, tried Kies, but Odin simply does not see the device in Download Mode.

Has anyone experienced this and resolved the issue? Should I hunt down a PC and ditch VMware? That's pretty much my final option prior to heading down to T-Mobile.

ShinyBuddha

I recently soft-bricked my Vibrant so now it get stuck at the Vibrant screen and it is hardware locked. I can get my phone into download mode using adb but then it does not show up in ODIN. When I plug the phone in during the Vibrant screen, it shows up as COM 6 but then it is removed when it gets to Download mode.
I searched around for a while looking for a solution and tried a bunch of things but nothing worked.
Also, when I plug my phone in during download mode, it says "The USB device attached to the computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

I'm on Windows XP 32-bit
What version of Odin were you using 1.0 or 1.3?

My stock, rooted Vibrant was soft-bricked by the latest update. I've been following the instructions on this thread: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803492, but cannot get Odin to recognize the device in Download Mode.

One caveat of my current situation is that I'm running Windows XP (32bit) on VMWare on a Mac. Not sure if this is the cause of my pain, but I simply don't have a PC handy.

Currently, when the phone is connected via USB in Recovery Mode, it mounts and everything is cheery. Even on the Mac side, adb recognizes the device and lets me tunnel into it. But the instant I boot into Download Mode the computer no longer recognizes it.

I've reinstalled drivers, tried using 64-bit versions of drivers, tried Kies, but Odin simply does not see the device in Download Mode.

Has anyone experienced this and resolved the issue? Should I hunt down a PC and ditch VMware? That's pretty much my final option prior to heading down to T-Mobile.
It's the Mac....sounds like you've done everything correctly. do you have the option for Parallels?

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Download mode uses a different usb driver. If you are running in a vm you need to set the vm app to pass that usb device thru to the guest os.. i use odin in virtualbox on linux just fine. I haven't tried it on osx though. There's also an app in development in the i9000 dev forum that runs natively on osx.

ckalima

Sep 23, 2010
@shinybuddha unfortunately parallels is not an option, but I could likely hunt down a PC

@ttabbal thanks for the tip, I've been suspicious of the drivers. Currently I have version 5.2.0.5 installed, and when connecting the Vibrant in download mode, a "Generic Serial Device" appears, but fails to connect.

Unfortunately the device exhibits the same behavior on the Mac side, and isn't being recognized in Download Mode, at least not by "adb devices".

Is there a specific driver I should install in the virtual XP os? Or could you provide a link to the osx app?

ckalima

Sep 23, 2010
I think I need to find a PC. After scouring the forums it appears there has been no successful Odin use on a Mac via VM.

xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7854560&postcount=12

Also discovered this interesting bit from the Heimdall developer:

After some serious investigation and a bit low-level debugging it appears as though there is very little I can do to correct the GT-I9000's lack of USB specification compliance when in download mode. When in download mode the GT-I9000 is using an embedded Gadget Serial driver and not the one provided by the linux kernel (zImage). As such I have made Samsung aware of the issue although I don't know if they will resolve it or how long it will take.

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265&highlight=heimdall&page=16

ckalima

Sep 23, 2010
Found a Windows Vista 64-bit installation and followed the directions on the following thread:

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803492

My Vibrant is back! Done in 30 minutes, after spending 3 days trying to get it to work via VM on a Mac. Sometimes iCan't.

Aerankas

Oct 7, 2009
Ottawa
Just to help out anyone else with a similar problem using Windows directly... I also found that Odin would recognize my phone when on normally but not in download mode. To solve, what I did was put the phone in download mode, then open up device manager and there was a new unknown device... gave it the path to the downloaded drivers and let it install. Then another unknown device popped up (might have to close and reopen device manager, or refresh, or unplug and plug phone). Pointed it to drivers download again and it magically appeared in Odin.

Lo N Slo

Aug 19, 2010
Chicago Chicago
Just to help out anyone else with a similar problem using Windows directly... I also found that Odin would recognize my phone when on normally but not in download mode. To solve, what I did was put the phone in download mode, then open up device manager and there was a new unknown device... gave it the path to the downloaded drivers and let it install. Then another unknown device popped up (might have to close and reopen device manager, or refresh, or unplug and plug phone). Pointed it to drivers download again and it magically appeared in Odin.

What drivers did you "point" too. Im having the same issue as you, except in my device manager is says "Gadget Serial." Either way, I need my PC to recognize my phone in download mode so please help!

joefro21

Sep 23, 2009
omg thanks

ya, the other drivers were screwed somehow, switched to these and bam... odin sees the vibrant. Thanks in bunches, lifesaver move there