[XAP + SDK] WP7 Root Tools 0.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Heathcliff74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2010
Works great, unlocked my Omnia W and messed around with the registry.

Just a quick question, is it possible to run unsafe code without hitting the verification exception? Mostly I'm interested in using it to avoid the excessive array bounds checks.

No, that is not possible. That is a whole other level of protection. If you realy want that type of unsafe code, you have to go C++. See the link in my signature for more details.

Heathcliff74

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
I extremely appreciate your work for the app.

There's just one little thing, redesign the website, it's an eyesore right now. I'd love to freely help you out with that if you would like me to.

Well... wp7roottools.com is the very first website I ever designed. And I'm quite happy with the results. I also get a lot of positive response on it.

So.. I'm sure you didn't mean it as an insult :)mad:) but I like it as it is, for now :p

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

Reactions: Briefcase

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
No, that is not possible. That is a whole other level of protection. If you realy want that type of unsafe code, you have to go C++. See the link in my signature for more details.

Heathcliff74

As I suspected, all my code is in C# so going C++ isn't really an option. Was just looking for something to speed up my emulator for first gen and maybe the new Tango devices.

Thanks anyway.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
So.. I'm sure you didn't mean it as an insult :)mad:) but I like it as it is, for now :p

Heathcliff74, don't listen to this guy! You have a great looking web site, simple and easy, I like it!

@MarysFetus: I would be silent at your place - look at your own site first! Strikeout links... hmm... "No hire!" Or you just trying to promote your lousy pictures on XDA? :mad:

Last edited:

JulietteOnXDA

Jul 6, 2011
Berlin
Heathcliff74, don't listen to this guy! You have a great looking web site, simple and easy, I like it!

@MarysFetus: I would be silent at your place - look at your own site first! Strikeout links... hmm... "No hire!" Or you just trying to promote your lousy pictures on XDA? :mad:

Settle down. I just offered him free help. Back to Topic.

Last edited:

Lidanh

Feb 4, 2011
This is great. The Bazaar project is thankful, now all interop users can use our app!

Thank you.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Riddle me this.... If I have v2 drivers (the reason why devices like mine dont work with RT 0.9), How can I roll back to v1 ?

Is this flashing back to another rom/backup or is there something I can manually do to take my current phone and get it working ?

I have a Verizon HTC Trophy.....but I have seen other devices with this issue...

Just wondering....

shinygerbil

Mar 22, 2011
London
Riddle me this.... If I have v2 drivers (the reason why devices like mine dont work with RT 0.9), How can I roll back to v1 ?

Is this flashing back to another rom/backup or is there something I can manually do to take my current phone and get it working ?

I have a Verizon HTC Trophy.....but I have seen other devices with this issue...

Just wondering....

Would also like similar advice... I have an HTC HD7 unbranded, fully updated officially through Zune. I interop-unlocked it successfully back when I still had v1 drivers but after opening up Zune today I've discovered that it's relocked itself completely. (My bad, I thought I'd taken precautions against relocking!)

I'm guessing that my only option is to install an old stock ROM or a custom ROM? Neither of which I'm really up for doing as I have too much stuff to backup/restore and things like SMS which can't be backed up in a straightforward way.

Oh, and THANK YOU for all your hard work Heathcliff and others, every step is a step in the right direction :D

LiFePo4

Aug 19, 2011
Oregon

Just wondering....

Assuming you got these v2 drivers pushed from Zune and you were not signed in as a guest, there should be a backup sitting there that is your phone with v1 drivers. If so then just plug your phone in and restore to that backup.

Else, reload the stock 7720 ROM and start over. This ROM is available over in the Trophy forum.

Reactions: DavidinCT

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
Anyone found an app that works with this new root that will allow one to add new custom accents for 2nd Gen devices. Focus S, in particular? :)

Sent from my Focus S using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Hmm... we still don't have a separate thread for the SDK. I'd start it but that should really be Heathcliff74's thread.

SDK SUGGESTION: Process provxml. There's a lot of provxml floating around XDA-Devs, since it was the most convenient (sometimes only) way to make high-privilege changes before. It would be a relatively simple API call to add but would simplify porting a lot of apps that want to use Root Tools elevation.

dmw_4814

Nov 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Heathcliff74,

I noticed you listed my name (Dennis Wilson) as having helped you develop/test WP7 Root Tools 0.9 - it is I who should be thanking YOU!! You've now allowed me to change, with WP7 Root Tools 0.9, the two things that bothered me most about my Samsung Focus S - no "NEVER" option in screen timeout & FINALLY adding a custom text notification alert!

Still, it IS kinda cool to see my name listed there! :D

Dennis

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
Heathcliff74,

I noticed you listed my name (Dennis Wilson) as having helped you develop/test WP7 Root Tools 0.9 - it is I who should be thanking YOU!! You've now allowed me to change, with WP7 Root Tools 0.9, the two things that bothered me most about my Samsung Focus S - no "NEVER" option in screen timeout & FINALLY adding a custom text notification alert!

Still, it IS kinda cool to see my name listed there! :D

Dennis

Oh custom text notification? Elaborate =)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

dmw_4814

Nov 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Oh custom text notification? Elaborate =)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Yes, I added a sound file to my Samsung Focus S, then used WP7 Root Tools to rename the file to one of the standard sounds (in this case, I think it was "alert-7.wma) originally a part of WP7, then copied & pasted it into the Windows folder. I think you can just change the path for SMS text notifications to point to "My Documents\My Ringtones\whatever.wma", but when I did it that way with previous versions of WP7 Root Tools (on my original Focus), the sound would revert back to one of the standard notification sounds whenever the phone was restarted. Over-writing one of the standard notification sounds with your sound file would prevent that from happening.

I used ChevronWP7 labs ringtone manager to build an XAP that I deployed to my phone which installed my sound file into the "My Documents\My Ringtones" folder.

Dennis

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Assuming you got these v2 drivers pushed from Zune and you were not signed in as a guest, there should be a backup sitting there that is your phone with v1 drivers. If so then just plug your phone in and restore to that backup.

Else, reload the stock 7720 ROM and start over. This ROM is available over in the Trophy forum.

I guess there is no way to save my current config. I was thinking about trying a custom rom but, I wanted to backup my current Xbox live games but, because they are from the marketplace, no way around it. And on some I am so close to the last achivement but, so far.... Nuking them will cost a good 10-15 hours just to get back to where I was :(

Oh, well... My xbox live achivements or root access....Hmmmm....

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
I guess there is no way to save my current config. I was thinking about trying a custom rom but, I wanted to backup my current Xbox live games but, because they are from the marketplace, no way around it. And on some I am so close to the last achivement but, so far.... Nuking them will cost a good 10-15 hours just to get back to where I was :(

Oh, well... My xbox live achivements or root access....Hmmmm....

You got to give homebrew devs a chance to make apps with the SDK. What you want will be possible soon. Read this.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
As I understand it, @DavidinCT's phone is on v2 drivers, so he(?) won't be able to elevate apps (including those written using the SDK, such as Complete Backup) because WP7 Root Tools won't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download: www.wp7roottools.com

Today I am proud to announce the immediate availability of WP7 Root Tools 0.9 alpha and WP7 Root Tools SDK 0.1!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 brings true Root Access to devices with stock ROM's, but it also works on devices with custom ROM's and Full Unlock. Your device needs to be Interop Unlocked to use WP7 Root Tools!

This is still an alpha-release, because there are a lot of new hacks and the tools are still not feature complete! I have rewritten about 75% of all code from the previous release. So before you install WP7 Root Tools you should make a backup of your device. WP7 Root Tools will make changes to system settings and, although this has been tested, it is still possible that a problem occurs. In that case you want to have a recent backup of your device. Installing WP7 Root Tools will be your own responsibility. The author of WP7 Root Tools and the SDK cannot be held responsible for any damages caused directly or indirectly by installing and using WP7 Root Tools or the SDK!

Windows Phone is a closed system to protect the user and his/her personal data from malware and to protect the intellectual property of the developers. The downside of this closed system is that homebrew developers are very limited in their ability to control and tweak a Windows Phone device. With WP7 Root Tools I attempt to open up the system in a gentle way, so that users stay in control of their device, while homebrew apps can get more control to get the maximum power out of your Windows Phone device!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 now has a File Explorer, Registry Editor, Certificate Installer and a Policy Editor! Thanks to true Root Access on Windows Phone, this new version of WP7 Root Tools will work a lot faster than previous releases and it supports a lot more devices!

WP7 Root Tools should work on these devices:

- Samsung first and second generation devices
    - LG devices
    - HTC first generation devices with Mango v1 drivers (SPL 4.x or lower)
    - Samsung first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock
    - HTC first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock

On devices with stock ROM's WP7 Root Tools need to install Root Access. The first time it runs, a 2-phase-installation will start. The app will inform you to start the first install-phase. Then the device will reboot after a few seconds. After the reboot you need to start WP7 Root Tools again immediately! Then the second phase of the installation will start and your device will be rebooted again. After the second reboot you are ready to use WP7 Root Tools. You can use the Policy Editor to give other homebrew app a "trusted" status. With this you will give the app Root Access privileges. So be very careful to which app you give Root Access!! You are responsible for giving access to an app! If you are not sure, read the forums to decide if an app is trust-worthy.

I also created an SDK, which developers can use to profit from Root Access. It provides a way to gain access to the filesystem and the registry (and more) from their managed Silverlight application. No need to worry about COM interop and C++ anymore! The package contains a read-me with short instructions. More details and examples will follow soon! Over the last days Rafael Rivera from the Chevron WP7 team has tested the SDK and he is finishing up the first homebrew app that will use my SDK. He is planning to release his Backup-app soon.

I also need to thank some people for making this possible:

- My wife! (for having to put up with me while doing all this hacking!)

- YukiXDA (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Justin Angel (for sending me a NOKIA)
    - Cees Heim (for supplying an HTC device for testing)
    - Rafael Rivera and Chevron WP7 team (for pioneering WP7 Unlocking)
    - HD2Owner (for helping me make custom ROM's for testing)
    - fiinix (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Ultrashot
    - xb0xm0d
    - AndrewSh
    - Ondraster
    - Barin
    - Football
    - Cmonex
    - GoodDayToDie
    - Jaxbot
    - Dennis Wilson

I will update the guides and manuals on www.wp7roottools.com and here on XDA in the next coming days. I need some time to update all of it.

Have fun with Homebrew now!

Heathcliff74
    I will release WP7 Root Tools 0.10 this weekend. It will have new features, but the new unlock is not yet ready. So it won't be in this version. I will release this version, because the current version will expire this weekend. I will release another version with the new unlock soon after this. The main feature of the new unlock is that you can run homebrew native executables.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Just a little progress report. I've not been very active in the forums in the last weeks. That's not because I didn't work on WP7 Root Tools. On contrary, I'm working really hard on this and I need to be focused on Research and Development, because the features I work on are extremely complex. But most research is done and I'm making real good progress on the development.

I'm mainly working on letting custom executables run with root access. And also some other nice features. I have not tested these hacks for drivers, like the DFT BT drivers. I will see if I can get that working too.

After this I will try to make this work on more devices.

When WP8 comes all hacking probably needs to be done from scratch. Hacking bootloaders will be more difficult due to SecureBoot. My hacks will probably not be affected by SecureBoot, but my guess is that the policy engine is rewritten for a significant part, because the new filesystem is based on NTFS. That probably means that the policies are not configured in the policy database, but in the filesystem itself.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Heathcliff74, a quick question to you: could you please provide us a little hint about Nokia hack status? Should we expect some tremendous news in near future? ;) Nokia Lumia 900 is coming so I'm extremely interested :eek:

Could take minutes, could take months. There is really no way of telling this. It's a matter of finding an exploit. I'm working on that.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74