[ROM] [GUIDE] Lenovo S820, stock multilanguage rom

Search This thread

Pr0xiMUS

Jul 29, 2008
Since I didn't find much information in English about this phone, I'm posting this guide for this great device.

There are 3 versions of device:

• CN - Chinese version (4 GB)
  • ROW - International (European?) version (4 GB)
  • ROW 8G - International (European?) version with 8 GB internal memory
If you bought it online from Chinese website (like I did - from to2c.com) then you for sure have "CN" version. If you have a device which came stock with ROW firmware, there is no need to flash new firmware because you are already on international version of the phone and you get the updates over-the-air.
Those phones that came from Chinese sites usually have rooted and multilanguage firmware, but basically it is slightly modified Chinese firmware with Chinese apps still included, Chinese GPS settings, OTA disabled (so you don't loose root and multilanguage ((MoreLocale2)) by OTA update) and old firmware. In this guide I'll post how to change the CN firmware to ROW but keeping the CN modem.img because it isn't compatible across different versions of device. Most of the information I've got from site lenovo-forums.ru.

Why doing this? To get...

• latest version of non-Chinese firmware (v S120 ROW)
  • latest modem from Lenovo VIBE ROM (V52)
  • CWM recovery
  • root

GUIDE
Disclaimer: you are doing this at your own risk. Some knowledge and previous experience with flashing MTK devices is highly recommended. If you find something confusing in this guide, then you should probably first learn more about MTK flashing and Android phones in general (hint: google :)).

1. TOOLS
- SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, https://www.mediafire.com/?l26qvmalu6m73lw
- MTK preloader drivers, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2180436

2. ROM - version S119 ROW full
- download S820_ROW_S119_130922, (LINK) (login information from http://www.bugmenot.com/view/lenovo-forums.ru)
- flash using SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, make sure that all the files are checked, use firmware upgrade mode as shown in pictures bellow...
attachment.php

attachment.php

3. Flash custom recovery
- get recovery CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_ROW, download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?82bb42qg55o3ob4 (credits: lenovo-forums.ru)
- flash with SP Flash Tools using Download mode like shown bellow...
attachment.php

4. Flash S120 ROW update (CWM)
- get into recovery by pressing vol down + vol up + power.
- flash this incremental update (S119 -> S120), download: https://www.mediafire.com/?3e11hd2erutsz3k (source lenovo-forums.ru, modified by me because of asert errors in their file)

5. Root device
- enable usb debugging by opening developer menu: Settings -> About -> Versions -> pres 7 times on baseband version
- follow root guide from this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2247537

6. Change MODEM.IMG to V52 from VIBE ROM
- download this modem.img (V52 from VIBE ROM): https://www.mediafire.com/?au982otib7lkka4
- you flashed international version of firmware (ROW) but modem still have to be from the Chinese ROM to function properly - following guide from this LINK you can swap the MODEM.IMG from ROW version to Chinese (procedure for different phone but works analogously). In short: transfer modem.img to your sdcard, mount /etc/firmware as rw (read/write - you need root rights to do this), copy over existing modem.img, change permissions to 644, reboot phone (pull battery out)

Enjoy the international/EU version of Lenovo S820! :)

Attachments

• lenovo1.png
    lenovo1.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 240,059
  • lenovo2.png
    lenovo2.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 206,982
  • lenovo3.png
    lenovo3.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 206,119
Last edited:

bakuLaw

Dec 11, 2012
OEJN
thanks for this very useful thread my friend,
I tried flashing VibeROM,
but it seems no network/signal comming even there is sim card after flashing the ROM.
what seems to be the problem?

Lenovo S820 ROW

zorangr

Dec 3, 2009
Podgorica
repartition

hi great guide. do you have some info how to repartition internal memory on this phone. i have ROW model with 4GB

Pr0xiMUS

Jul 29, 2008
but it seems no network/signal comming even there is sim card after flashing the ROM.

Lenovo S820 ROW
It may help if you change the modem.img; try the modem.img from ROW version of the firmware...

Reactions: rohit16

bakuLaw

Dec 11, 2012
OEJN
It may help if you change the modem.img; try the modem.img from ROW version of the firmware...

the problem is when you this procedure,
ur device must be rooted,

its very hard to root viberom,
i try framaroot and the link above,
all failed.

do u have the modem.img from stock ROM,
so that i can flash it with Viberom?

Last edited:

SIMPLEFBB

Jan 9, 2013
Hi! Does the european Rom (4G) has greek language? Or else, is there anywhere to download the ROM provided by chinese websites (for example to2c.com) which includes aprox. 52 languages?

Pr0xiMUS

Jul 29, 2008
Hi! Does the european Rom (4G) has greek language? Or else, is there anywhere to download the ROM provided by chinese websites (for example to2c.com) which includes aprox. 52 languages?

Try installing MoreLocale2 from Play Store... Those ROMs are not fully translated, you can achieve almost the same with MoreLocale on any other ROM.

bloxlogger

Oct 22, 2009
Pr0xiMUS, thanks for this great tutorial,
could you please just give a more noob explanation of step 6 ? (swapping the modem)
im stuck with it and i cannot find my way at lenovo-forums.ru translated.

_Pago_

Mar 23, 2009
Hi, I've just tried to flash a rom on my s820. All the procedure went fine (I thought) with a green circle on the screen at the end...
but after disconnecting it from PC, my phone doesn't boot anymore! No way to turn it on, also with powerbutton and vol+, it doesn't show anything on the screen, nor vibrate. Also connected with the charger will not show the charging led signal.
If I connect again to PC it is recognised differently in it has or not the battery, but with flashtools I can't download anything.
Do you have any idea of what I can do?
Thanks

Pago

JimieTheFox

Aug 11, 2013
Hi, I've just tried to flash a rom on my s820. All the procedure went fine (I thought) with a green circle on the screen at the end...
but after disconnecting it from PC, my phone doesn't boot anymore! No way to turn it on, also with powerbutton and vol+, it doesn't show anything on the screen, nor vibrate. Also connected with the charger will not show the charging led signal.
If I connect again to PC it is recognised differently in it has or not the battery, but with flashtools I can't download anything.
Thanks

Pago

I have also the same problem ! I tried flashing the 119 firm. but then when I try to flash the recovery it gives me an error about the DRAM ! Also phone can;t get past the Lanovo boot screen !

FIXED : Anyone who has the same issue here's the solution :
1) Flash JUST the 119 Firmware
2) Boot into the phone (it will take some time)
3) Connect to WiFi
4) Go to Settings and do an update to get the 120 Firmware through OTA
5) Follow the rest of the Guide !

Last edited:

_Pago_

Mar 23, 2009
I have also the same problem ! I tried flashing the 119 firm. but then when I try to flash the recovery it gives me an error about the DRAM ! Also phone can;t get past the Lanovo boot screen !

3) Connect to WiFi

First of all, thank you for your time and help!
I tried to keep the button pressed for a long time and to wait for a looooong boot, but nothing happens...
Sadly, I can't download the 119 firmware (or any other..) because as soon as I connect the USB, SP Flash Tool doesn't allow to download anything on the phone and windows start to make the "USB plug" and "USB unplug" sound loop repeated.
Do you have a different way to flash the firmware to the phone?
Bye

Pago

JimieTheFox

Aug 11, 2013
Try this

I tried to keep the button pressed for a long time and to wait for a looooong boot, but nothing happens...
Sadly, I can't download the 119 firmware (or any other..) because as soon as I connect the USB, SP Flash Tool doesn't allow to download anything on the phone and windows start to make the "USB plug" and "USB unplug" sound loop repeated.
Bye

Pago

Ok here're the specific instructions I followed and I have it on 120 ROW + CWM Recovery now :
1) Power off thee phone
2) Follow the Guide on choosing the files
3) Press Firmare Upgrade button and wait for the pink bars to finish
4) Take off the battery
5) While pressing volume up connect the usb cable
6) When the red bar starts let go of volume button
7) Wait for flashing to finish
8) Boot into 119 Firmware
9) Get the 120 via OTA
10) Flash CWM as shown by Guide
If it doesn't wok then :
( Do NOT plug in the usb cable until the pink loading bars have finished and make sure to click ALL the options the tutorial points in the images !!!! ( Don't forget DA DL All with Checksum, preload.img )
a ) Make sure you have installed the MTK drivers for Windows !!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!!
b ) Try with battery in !
c ) Try without pressing volume key !
It's weird but it may work with ANY of the above, I don't know why but it seems each phone requires a different combination of the above !!!
P.S. I used Framaroot to root it and it worked fine, got the latest SuperSU now on it and everything works perfect !!!

Last edited:

_Pago_

Mar 23, 2009
Tried almost everything.... no success!
Drivers are installed, I have downloaded the wrong preload on the phone with SP Flash with those driver.
When I plug in the USB in the peripheral list appear "Alcatel Single RNDIS Interface", and it suddenly disappears, and then it appears again with a yellow exlamation mark, then again disappears, and so on...
I tried all the possible combinations for enter the META mode (as I can remember it worked when I flashed the incorrect rom some days ago), but the correct device never appears!
I think I have to go with test point way, perhaps it works.
If even this does not, then I'll sadly quit the battle...
Thanks for your help!

Pago

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!
After reading a LOT of posts... I tried to understand why the phone was recognized as "Alcatel Single RNDIS Interface", and then I tried to reinstall the drivers.
Drivers were already installed, BUT with the phone already connected, during the driver installation, for a while the correct driver was shown... and then disappeared again and there was only "Alcatel Single RNDIS Interface"... again!
So I tried, with SP Flash ready, to reinstall drivers once again, and in the correct moment, I did "software upgrade" and it WORKED!!!
Now I've already booted the phone and is working!
Thanks to all the guys that wrote so many interesting and helping posts and to the guys that answered me!
Hope this can help some other.
Bye

Pago

Last edited:

JimieTheFox

Aug 11, 2013
Tried almost everything.... no success!
Drivers are installed, I have downloaded the wrong preload on the phone with SP Flash with those driver.
When I plug in the USB in the peripheral list appear "Alcatel Single RNDIS Interface", and it suddenly disappears, and then it appears again with a yellow exlamation mark, then again disappears, and so on...
I tried all the possible combinations for enter the META mode (as I can remember it worked when I flashed the incorrect rom some days ago), but the correct device never appears!
I think I have to go with test point way, perhaps it works.
If even this does not, then I'll sadly quit the battle...
Thanks for your help!

Pago

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!
After reading a LOT of posts... I tried to understand why the phone was recognized as "Alcatel Single RNDIS Interface", and then I tried to reinstall the drivers.
Drivers were already installed, BUT with the phone already connected, during the driver installation, for a while the correct driver was shown... and then disappeared again and there was only "Alcatel Single RNDIS Interface"... again!
So I tried, with SP Flash ready, to reinstall drivers once again, and in the correct moment, I did "software upgrade" and it WORKED!!!
Now I've already booted the phone and is working!
Thanks to all the guys that wrote so many interesting and helping posts and to the guys that answered me!
Hope this can help some other.
Bye

Pago

Nice :D Great job buddy !! It would be nice to know there is a way to get our phones back if we screw up :silly:

yuval gur

May 8, 2007
Grate guide, thank you.

I have a problem with my Bluetooth car set. the other side can't hear me well.
what can I do?
thank you

ChevanLemon

Jan 29, 2012
Hello,

This is really great I've been waiting for Lenovo S820 thread.

...and of course I do have some questions as follow:

• CWM recovery
  • root

FYI: My version infos are:
Lenovo S820_ROW
Android Version 4.2.1
Baseband S820.V21
Build number S820_ROW_8G_S121_131128

My question is: How do I know if I already have the latest modem? How do I checked it?

3. Flash custom recovery
- get recovery CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_ROW, download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?82bb42qg55o3ob4 (credits: lenovo-forums.ru)

Does the CWM File is for the ROW - International (European?) version 4 GB or 8 GB internal memory? Cause I heard the CWM file will be different.

Does the CWM file will be working on my S820_ROW_8G_S121?

Thank you

Last edited:

JimieTheFox

Aug 11, 2013
Latest firmware !

Hi everyone ! I got the latest firmware on my phone ! Not many changes, just a few UI improvements and 1-2 performance improvements ! Also I got koush's superuser in there and latest CWM !!
All i did was :
1) flash the ROW version from the first post
2) get ALL other updates through OTA and NOT flash any CWM or SU !
3) And when I was on the 124 version I flashed the CWM recovery and through recovery I flashed koush's superuser ( much better on my opinion )
(optional)4) I used MTKDroid Tools 2.5.3 to backup my NVRAM and IMEI and delete ALL useless Chinese apps and Lenovo apps and change my locale to eu instead of cn ( Europe instead of Chinese )
I DID NOT REPLACE THE modem.img file and I am getting perfect signal ( Greece ) and perfect 3G speed !!!!!

Reactions: raven6681

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I didn't find much information in English about this phone, I'm posting this guide for this great device.

There are 3 versions of device:

• CN - Chinese version (4 GB)
    • ROW - International (European?) version (4 GB)
    • ROW 8G - International (European?) version with 8 GB internal memory
    If you bought it online from Chinese website (like I did - from to2c.com) then you for sure have "CN" version. If you have a device which came stock with ROW firmware, there is no need to flash new firmware because you are already on international version of the phone and you get the updates over-the-air.
    Those phones that came from Chinese sites usually have rooted and multilanguage firmware, but basically it is slightly modified Chinese firmware with Chinese apps still included, Chinese GPS settings, OTA disabled (so you don't loose root and multilanguage ((MoreLocale2)) by OTA update) and old firmware. In this guide I'll post how to change the CN firmware to ROW but keeping the CN modem.img because it isn't compatible across different versions of device. Most of the information I've got from site lenovo-forums.ru.

• CWM recovery
    • root

GUIDE
    Disclaimer: you are doing this at your own risk. Some knowledge and previous experience with flashing MTK devices is highly recommended. If you find something confusing in this guide, then you should probably first learn more about MTK flashing and Android phones in general (hint: google :)).

1. TOOLS
    - SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, https://www.mediafire.com/?l26qvmalu6m73lw
    - MTK preloader drivers, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2180436

2. ROM - version S119 ROW full
    - download S820_ROW_S119_130922, (LINK) (login information from http://www.bugmenot.com/view/lenovo-forums.ru)
    - flash using SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, make sure that all the files are checked, use firmware upgrade mode as shown in pictures bellow...
    attachment.php

attachment.php

3. Flash custom recovery
    attachment.php

4. Flash S120 ROW update (CWM)
    - get into recovery by pressing vol down + vol up + power.
    - flash this incremental update (S119 -> S120), download: https://www.mediafire.com/?3e11hd2erutsz3k (source lenovo-forums.ru, modified by me because of asert errors in their file)

5. Root device
    - enable usb debugging by opening developer menu: Settings -> About -> Versions -> pres 7 times on baseband version
    - follow root guide from this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2247537

6. Change MODEM.IMG to V52 from VIBE ROM
    - download this modem.img (V52 from VIBE ROM): https://www.mediafire.com/?au982otib7lkka4
    - you flashed international version of firmware (ROW) but modem still have to be from the Chinese ROM to function properly - following guide from this LINK you can swap the MODEM.IMG from ROW version to Chinese (procedure for different phone but works analogously). In short: transfer modem.img to your sdcard, mount /etc/firmware as rw (read/write - you need root rights to do this), copy over existing modem.img, change permissions to 644, reboot phone (pull battery out)

Enjoy the international/EU version of Lenovo S820! :)
    Thanks

Pago

3) Connect to WiFi
    Try this

Bye

Pago

Ok here're the specific instructions I followed and I have it on 120 ROW + CWM Recovery now :
    1) Power off thee phone
    2) Follow the Guide on choosing the files
    3) Press Firmare Upgrade button and wait for the pink bars to finish
    4) Take off the battery
    5) While pressing volume up connect the usb cable
    6) When the red bar starts let go of volume button
    7) Wait for flashing to finish
    8) Boot into 119 Firmware
    9) Get the 120 via OTA
    10) Flash CWM as shown by Guide
    If it doesn't wok then :
    ( Do NOT plug in the usb cable until the pink loading bars have finished and make sure to click ALL the options the tutorial points in the images !!!! ( Don't forget DA DL All with Checksum, preload.img )
    a ) Make sure you have installed the MTK drivers for Windows !!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!!
    b ) Try with battery in !
    c ) Try without pressing volume key !
    It's weird but it may work with ANY of the above, I don't know why but it seems each phone requires a different combination of the above !!!
    P.S. I used Framaroot to root it and it worked fine, got the latest SuperSU now on it and everything works perfect !!!

Lenovo S820 ROW
    Latest firmware !

Hi everyone ! I got the latest firmware on my phone ! Not many changes, just a few UI improvements and 1-2 performance improvements ! Also I got koush's superuser in there and latest CWM !!
    All i did was :
    1) flash the ROW version from the first post
    2) get ALL other updates through OTA and NOT flash any CWM or SU !
    3) And when I was on the 124 version I flashed the CWM recovery and through recovery I flashed koush's superuser ( much better on my opinion )
    (optional)4) I used MTKDroid Tools 2.5.3 to backup my NVRAM and IMEI and delete ALL useless Chinese apps and Lenovo apps and change my locale to eu instead of cn ( Europe instead of Chinese )
    I DID NOT REPLACE THE modem.img file and I am getting perfect signal ( Greece ) and perfect 3G speed !!!!!