[Q] Epic stuck in limbo with mismatched modem and firmware

Search This thread

xoshi

May 28, 2011
My Samsung Epic 4G has the EE03 modem installed, but I have EC05 as my current firmware. I can't Odin back anywhere because my Epic does not like to be recognized by any computer anymore. (I'm not using the factory-provided charging cable, but instead a Palm Pre cable)

I thought it wasn't too huge of a deal, but the newer modem and older firmware don't seem to like each other much, which in turn eats the phone's battery up extremely fast.

As well, because of the difference, there's a recommended Android OS update to EI22 that keeps nagging me and won't go away. Every time I run it, it gets to the part "updating modem," the installation fails with the following message:

"script aborted (no error message)E:Error in /cache/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05_to_EI22.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted.

Because I can't use Odin, what's the best option for fixing something like this?

lilajrestnom

Jul 31, 2011
Philadelphia
I had a similar problem where I was stuck on a modem I didn't want.. there is no way possible to fix this I believe.. cuz u would have to switch modems and that won't happen without odin.. if u were on ec05 modem then u could have jjust flash ec05 to ei22 but there's no way to change ur modem without a computer
If ur sure the usb it working and u tried cleaning the outside of ur phones usb slot and it still didn't work then the best thing I can tell you to try Is probably to backup whatever current setting you have and to flash a ee03 compatible rom.. I think ee03 was a gb leak?? So I think an eh17 rom would go well with it? If so I would try thunderhawk its an amazing rom
But I'm no professional so id probably just wait now and see if anyone with more experience agrees on what I say or would have a better idea for you

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Lil is correct you will need to get Odin or Heimdall working. Heimdall installs its own drivers so you have the best shot with that and a new heavy duty cable.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

LORDFIRE00

Jan 4, 2012
PLANET EARTH
Koshi, take a clean unused toothbrush, take the end of the data cable that plugs into ur phone, and carefully brush the end inside. Do the same thing with the usb port of ur phone. Then blow into both parts, and try connecting to ur pc again.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Stringyquark

Mar 30, 2011
Minneapolis
You could also try the ec05 revert cmw flashable zip. I had some issues when I had the usb mass storage installed. Then I couldn't get adb bridge installed propper so download mode wouldn't connect.

Uninstall your drivers, revert to ec05, install drivers and reboot, connect phone as storage, then dissconect, turn on adb and reconnect, when done disconnect and turn on dl mode and connect again, disconnect, load and run odin, reconnect in dl mode, and pray for a com port to come up.

Easy enuff to go back with a cmw backup if it doesn't work, might be worth a try.

Here's the thread 4 ya

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1027904

Last edited:

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
I had an issue after taking my epic into be serviced one time where the computer would no longer recognize it. Turns out they switched a setting in one of the dialer menus I believe it was ##7887# and then you had to switch it to or out of modem mode. Sorry I am not much more help but I am cm7 now and can't access those hidden menus now but if someone else could read this perhaps they could clear up my haziness on this and give you some proper instructions to check if you are in the right mode.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
It is. ##8778# and switch usb to pda not modem... if that's the problem that is...

Thanks yep that was my issue. I went back into the sprint store and the guy saw me coming because he realized after I left he didn't switch it back. Flipping that back had me off and odining just like before. Hopefully its that simple for the op.

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks yep that was my issue. I went back into the sprint store and the guy saw me coming because he realized after I left he didn't switch it back. Flipping that back had me off and odining just like before. Hopefully its that simple for the op.

Yep I hope so to. I only know this because when I first got my epic (brand new) it was in modem and not pda... took me well over 3 weeks of searching to find out why my mass storage was not being detected on my laptop... and then I found XDA! THANK GOD FOR XDA!

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis

They did that to me once as well.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA
Try the "Odin for Dummies" method. Use the Samsung EB13 tool which will reinstall all drivers for your computer to recognize your phone, walk you through the process of installing EB13 (it will wipe your phone completely) and put you on EB13 which you will then OTA to EC05 and OTA again to EI22. Here are the DL links:

http://www.multiupload.com/69YUW73XFB

I use the tool sometimes because I think it is actually safer than using Odin because you won't make any mistakes, like check marking the wrong options or using the wrong files in Odin, since the tool does everything for you.

Reactions: Fire n mage

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is. ##8778# and switch usb to pda not modem... if that's the problem that is...

Try the "Odin for Dummies" method. Use the Samsung EB13 tool which will reinstall all drivers for your computer to recognize your phone, walk you through the process of installing EB13 (it will wipe your phone completely) and put you on EB13 which you will then OTA to EC05 and OTA again to EI22. Here are the DL links:

http://www.multiupload.com/69YUW73XFB

I use the tool sometimes because I think it is actually safer than using Odin because you won't make any mistakes, like check marking the wrong options or using the wrong files in Odin, since the tool does everything for you.