[Q] Alcatel OT-980 root and rom development

Search This thread

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Camera works!

Yay I was able to get the camera to work in Froyo with a minor kernel change as far as I can tell everything is functional now so its just matter of packaging it for distribution :D.

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Froyo 2.2.2

INSTRUCTIONS ARE DEPRECATED [A GINGERBREAD UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED SOON PLEASE AVOID]

An update package is included (its designed for Windows but if your familiar with fastboot just follow what the bat files do after getting fastboot for your platform.) If your device doesn't boot for some reason restore the back up you made your data should be restored. By flashing the update.zip in this package you are formatting your data partition (so you will have to reinstall applications if the update is successful). You can get the update package at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip its about 125 mb. Please use instructions from the forum the instructions in the zip are older. Make sure you also read the notes below before installing.

Backing up
1) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
2) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 1)
3) Plug your device into your USB port
4) Run InstallBackupRecovery.bat in the install package.
5) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
6) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
the power off device and try again.
7) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
If you get select the wrong menu remove battery and enter recovery again.
8) Select Backup and restore
9) Select backup (allow it to complete)
10) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery to avoid booting into recovery.

Restoring (incase something goes wrong)
2) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 1)
5) Unplug your device (and remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
7) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
9) Select restore
10) Pick the back up you had made earlier based on the date.
11) Select power off from the menu to shut down.After a couple of seconds remove
the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery to avoid booting into recovery.

Upgrading to Froyo
1) Make sure you have made a back up (its easy and it only takes a minute or two)
2) Copy update.zip on to your sdcard (do not extract)
3) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
4) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
5) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
6) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
7) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
8) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
9) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
10) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
10a) Install latest update from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24984298&postcount=279
11) Power on and welcome to Froyo :D
12) Wait for touchscreen calibration to come up. Follow instructions. Once finished menu to exit.
If your touches do not register at ANY point then see CalibrationPoints.png in package and touch approximately on your screen based on these points.
If you run into this please tell me (I can tweak the TSCalibration app to be smarter with a bit of work.)
13) Touch the android icon and skip creating an account (there is a bug in the wizard so your just avoiding it)
14) Setup everything at this point if necessary re-calibrated your screen via TS Calibration in the menu
15) Install your favorites launcher (Zeam runs great) and keyboard since no keyboard is installed.

Notes
- No keyboard is included so use the hardware keyboard and install your favorite via the market.
- The kernel has been updated based off nobodyAtall's work to help port froyo / gingerbread specific features. Other things are specific to this device (Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel)
- Busybox is pre-installed to make things easier if you need to adb on to the device
- All hardware should work if something is broken please tell me. For tethering install your favourite solution from the market (tunnelling support should be compiled in if it isn't yell at me :p).
- The default launcher sucks so please replace it for the best experience.
- The ROM is rooted for your already.
- Battery life seems to be better then typically what you get on stock.
- Calibration data can be cleared by deleting /data/data/touchscreen*/files/* [path might be wrong will check later] or formatting the data partition (if you need a update.zip to clear calibration please tell me).
- Please report any bugs I'll issue delta updates to fix them (preferably with reproduction steps)
- Whats next? Probably GB or ICS :p

Last edited:

Draky50110

Jan 30, 2011
Cherbourg-Octeville
www.parigotmanchot.fr
Wow GREAT !! :)

Thanks a lot.

Some questions before trying, as I need to buy a cable next monday :p

Do we need Windows driver ? I have Win7 64bits.
Will the phone be recognized so the .bat will transfer files automatically ?

If I can, I'll test on monday :)
By the way, I also have a WinXP x86 so maybe better for USB recognition ?

Thanks again !

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Wow GREAT !! :)

Thanks a lot.

Some questions before trying, as I need to buy a cable next monday :p

Do we need Windows driver ? I have Win7 64bits.
Will the phone be recognized so the .bat will transfer files automatically ?

If I can, I'll test on monday :)
By the way, I also have a WinXP x86 so maybe better for USB recognition ?

Thanks again !

I used Windows 7 64-bit to test and I didn't need additional drivers (they got picked up via Windows update) to flash the recovery (I was worried about the same thing since I was mainly testing under Linux).

EDIT: The drivers got picked up via Windows update

Last edited:

octavioln

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks a lot

i've now installed Froyo on my Alcatel OT-980a. it really works great!

i just have a little issue with the brightness control, every time i lock the phone the brightess return to the max level.

for now that's the only thing i've found, but everything else it's fully funtional. :D

Thanks Idontknow186!!

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
i've now installed Froyo on my Alcatel OT-980a. it really works great!

i just have a little issue with the brightness control, every time i lock the phone the brightess return to the max level.

for now that's the only thing i've found, but everything else it's fully funtional. :D

Thanks Idontknow186!!

I'll look into the bug its probably me breaking something the kernel while working on early suspend.

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
Hello people, I'm a noob.
The only reason I registered here, is the pain in my butt called Alcatel OT-980. I've been searching for some kind of guide how to upgrade worthless 2.1 android to decent 2.2, read through this thread several times in the past, and then finally, a few days ago there is this awesome guy, who finally made it possible, and even the steps how to do it.
I quickly ran into a problem though, while trying to back up. When I run InstallBackupRecovery.bat, I get the cmd window which says:

Boot into fastboot by holding power and Q after shutting device off.
sending 'recovery' <3522 KB>. . .

and then nothing happens. I was thinking the mini usb port on the phone is faulty, but I never have any problems tethering it to the laptop for internet, or file transfers.

Nevermind that, after 2 days trying it, for the sake of trying again, it almost worked.
Sadly, I ended up with a much worse problem. Backing up progressing got stuck after not being able to back up cache or something, after it told me there is no android programs on sdcard, I can't remember. I tried it again, same thing again. Then I wanted to leave it for later, tried to turn on the phone, but after the Alcatel screen, the screen just looked awfully messed up, distorted colours. Although the screen seemed responsive, it was absolutely useless.
Then the idiot noob I am, I tried to mess around with recovery and hard reset, and since I tried everything in that menu, when I try to turn the phone on, it gets stuck on the Alcatel screen.
What can I do?
I tried just going through the update process, but I have the same problem with running bat file I had with the original...
What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Hello people, I'm a noob.
The only reason I registered here, is the pain in my butt called Alcatel OT-980. I've been searching for some kind of guide how to upgrade worthless 2.1 android to decent 2.2, read through this thread several times in the past, and then finally, a few days ago there is this awesome guy, who finally made it possible, and even the steps how to do it.
I quickly ran into a problem though, while trying to back up. When I run InstallBackupRecovery.bat, I get the cmd window which says:

Boot into fastboot by holding power and Q after shutting device off.
sending 'recovery' <3522 KB>. . .

and then nothing happens. I was thinking the mini usb port on the phone is faulty, but I never have any problems tethering it to the laptop for internet, or file transfers.

Nevermind that, after 2 days trying it, for the sake of trying again, it almost worked.
Sadly, I ended up with a much worse problem. Backing up progressing got stuck after not being able to back up cache or something, after it told me there is no android programs on sdcard, I can't remember. I tried it again, same thing again. Then I wanted to leave it for later, tried to turn on the phone, but after the Alcatel screen, the screen just looked awfully messed up, distorted colours. Although the screen seemed responsive, it was absolutely useless.
Then the idiot noob I am, I tried to mess around with recovery and hard reset, and since I tried everything in that menu, when I try to turn the phone on, it gets stuck on the Alcatel screen.
What can I do?
I tried just going through the update process, but I have the same problem with running bat file I had with the original...
What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Most likely your custpack got corrupted so when you booted you were seeing screen corruption because hardware acceleration was enabled (build.prop is on the custpack and its on by default). Try the system is intact steps first (assuming you didn't format your system partition) after following these steps continue from the upgrading to Froyo from step 7. If these steps don't work try the additional steps below and continue to step 7. I'm going to release an update for the update package if these steps work for you since I probably should have added an erase for good measure :/ (probably will also replace the recovery with one which doesn't back up data instead backs up the custpack only downside is that if you recover you lose your data but its better then the risk of corrupting your custpack if you select the wrong option while making a backup).

If your system is intact (assume it is):
1) Run the AndroidShell.bat included in the package (you should get a command prompt)
2) Place your phone into fastboot like the original instructions see steps 3 and 4 in upgrading to froyo
3) In the command prompt type: fastboot erase recovery
4) In the command prompt type: fastboot flash recovery Image/UpdateRecovery.img
5) Continue from step 7 in original guide (if your system is intact everything should be fine after reboot)

If the above steps fail then do the following additional step (and then continue from step 7 in guide)
1) Grab the system image from http://www.mediafire.com/?9o7dggfawwb4oxc and extract it into the Update package folder.
Note the file above isn't mine I just grabbed it off a post in another forum (if there isn't an image file in it please tell me I haven't checked the package).
2) Run the AndroidShell.bat console (you should get a command prompt)
3) Place your phone into fastboot like the original instructions see see steps 3 and 4 in upgrading to froyo
4) In the command prompt type: fastboot erase system
5) In the command prompt type: fastboot flash system <image here>
(Replace <image here> with the file you just extracted [dragging and dropping does work]. Please be patient with this step the system is fairly large)
6) Continue from step 7 in original guide.

If none of those work post again I can probably put the original custpack / boot and you can just flash those to go back to stock 2.1

Last edited:

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
Again, defeated before start...
Same thing happens as before: I get a popup in the lower right corner when I run the first command telling me:

Connection ailed
Unknown error occurred. Reattach the smartphone and try to connect again

I tried a million times. How could I possibly fix this...

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Same thing happens as before: I get a popup in the lower right corner when I run the first command telling me:

Connection ailed

Can you post an image of the pop-up? The only output should come in the command prompt via fastboot. Also did the fastboot driver get installed via windows update?

EDIT: Also can you check that the fastboot driver loaded via device manager? Also check if a different USB port makes a difference. The changes don't touch the underlying baseband in any way so fastboot cannot be broken by just flashing the recovery the problem is more likely something else either with the USB port used or drivers.

Last edited:

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012

Connection ailed

Can you try updating the fastboot drivers? If you have the handset manager installed please remove it. Download one touch upgrade from http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/support/download/ot-980.html. Then enter fastboot mode on your device. Go into device manager under ADB interface you'll find the Fastboot drivers currently used. Right click go to properties, select the driver tab, select update drivers, and browse the file from C:\One Touch Upgrade Q 1.9.0\usb_driver\installdriver\[youros]. After that try flashing the recovery see if it helps.

Last edited:

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
Can you try updating the fastboot drivers? If you have the handset manager installed please remove it. Download one touch upgrade from <<can't even qoute outside links...>>. Then enter fastboot mode on your device. Go into device manager under ADB interface you'll find the Fastboot drivers currently used. Right click go to properties, select the driver tab, select update drivers, and browse the file from C:\One Touch Upgrade Q 1.9.0\usb_driver\installdriver\[youros]. After that try flashing the recovery see if it helps.

This worked, I managed to get Froyo on my phone! Thank you so much!
I will report any problem with hardware, but thanks a lot again!

EDIT: the phone does get very hot very quick when it's plugged into the computer.. I haven't used it unplugged yet though

Last edited:

Draky50110

Jan 30, 2011
Cherbourg-Octeville
www.parigotmanchot.fr
Wow.

It works.

But I have small things to say :)

I have a french OT980.
AZERTY keyboard :D

So the "hold Q and power" to fastboot is wrong :p because I needed to hold A button instead ;) (the one with #).

Now.... WHAT IT THIS T-MOBILE and PINK colour in my phone ? :p

Anyway, I need to go back home where my wifi is to connect to Market.

Above that... IT WORKS !

Thanks a lot :)

Ho ! By the way, during recovery, the power button was not active, the "ok" was on "N" button, near spacebar...
Not important but maybe you want to know this, maybe because of the azerty keayboard ;)

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
Well, after a day of using the phone, I ran into some problems
Overall performance is rather slow, and spikey. Could I perhaps delete some stuff from the phone's memory? Like the clockworkmod folder,
Also, on an unrelated note, what is LazyList? And why is LOST.DIR getting so huge, and how can I stop files getting corrupted? grr stupid card/phone

Also, there were several unexpected and unprovoked restarts, the phone powers off, and sometimes powers back on by itself.
Also, sometimes everything froze when I connected it to a mobile charger, I had to remove and insert the battery.
Additionally, sometimes I can't download anything through the browser, it says the phone's memory is full. If I restart the phone, it sometimes works.
I think most of the LOST.DIR comes from trying to apply a picture as a wallpaper, but when I try doing that through file manager, it doesn't have a thumbnail, and clicking on it doesn't do a thing.
The brightness level indeed does get reset when locking screen.
I think that is all right now. :)
Good work nonetheless

Draky50110

Jan 30, 2011
Cherbourg-Octeville
www.parigotmanchot.fr
Also have some problems too :/

First : each reboot gives me the calibration screen saying : up arrow to begin, down arrow or back to cancel/quit.

I don't have up or down arrow, so I quit but it keeps asking about calibration each time it reboots.

Second : each time I finish and hang up the conversation, the phone is crashing and force close and I come back to homescreen (asking my pincode, as if I had rebooted)...

Those are 2 main problems :(

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Also have some problems too :/

First : each reboot gives me the calibration screen saying : up arrow to begin, down arrow or back to cancel/quit.

I don't have up or down arrow, so I quit but it keeps asking about calibration each time it reboots.

Second : each time I finish and hang up the conversation, the phone is crashing and force close and I come back to homescreen (asking my pincode, as if I had rebooted)...

Those are 2 main problems :(

I have kernel update ready which I'll get out today to solve stability issues (random shutdowns, I haven't had them for 2 days so far so I'm hoping they are fixed). The calibration issue I just realized I screwed up the text it press enter to calibrate the last screen has correct instructions (I'll push it into the kernel update today). The dialer crash try the update first if it doesn't help I'll give some instructions to help me debug (information via adb).

EDIT: Can you also give additional instructions like do you receive a call or do you make one and do you see it in both cases?

Last edited:

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Well, after a day of using the phone, I ran into some problems
Overall performance is rather slow, and spikey. Could I perhaps delete some stuff from the phone's memory? Like the clockworkmod folder,
Also, on an unrelated note, what is LazyList? And why is LOST.DIR getting so huge, and how can I stop files getting corrupted? grr stupid card/phone

Also, there were several unexpected and unprovoked restarts, the phone powers off, and sometimes powers back on by itself.
Also, sometimes everything froze when I connected it to a mobile charger, I had to remove and insert the battery.
Additionally, sometimes I can't download anything through the browser, it says the phone's memory is full. If I restart the phone, it sometimes works.
I think most of the LOST.DIR comes from trying to apply a picture as a wallpaper, but when I try doing that through file manager, it doesn't have a thumbnail, and clicking on it doesn't do a thing.
The brightness level indeed does get reset when locking screen.
I think that is all right now. :)
Good work nonetheless
See the previous post for crashing should be up today.

Think I know the cause of what your seeing (it will be in the kernel update forgot a step :/). Can you back up your sdcard and format it and restore the files on to it see if it helps. Yes you can remove clockworkmod on the sdcard (your backup is corrupt because of the issue you ran into). I'm going to push a kernel update later today for your other issues (it also will have something to help with your performance and may be any one else since I left a line commented in the original update). Also please don't run the stock launcher on this ROM (it runs badly)

---------- Post added 18th April 2012 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th April 2012 at 11:53 PM ----------

Installing Froyo update 1

Download the update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/update.zip (do not extract)

1) Copy update.zip on to your sdcard (do not extract)
2) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
3) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
4) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
5) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Release notes

- Fixes general stability of device and minor performance optimization's via a kernel update
- Fixes TS Calibration to display correct text

Known issues
- Brightness settings do not save
- Potential bug where hanging up leads to a crash (still investigating wasn't able to reproduce)

Last edited:

Draky50110

Jan 30, 2011
Cherbourg-Octeville
www.parigotmanchot.fr
the hanging problem occurs when I receive or make a call.
The call is without any problem, it is listed in the call list.
But it crashes :(

------------

Just tried after update.1

When a caller hangs up, or me, I have a force close on "com.android.phone"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gingerbread Final (Test release / RC)

Getting the files
    1) Download update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/GB RC1/update.zip
    2) Place on sdcard root keep name as update.zip
    3) Download google apps from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/gapps.zip (the update is the same as the cyanogenmod one except it mounts the custpack partition)
    4) Place on sdcard root keep name as gapps.zip

Only if your upgrading from Eclair follow this step
    Installing recovery (for Eclair only)
    1) Get the update package at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip (this is the Foryo one we only use it to install the recovery)
    2) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    3) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    4) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)

Installing Gingerbread
    Note if your already on gingerbread follow steps and make sure you install google apps before the reboot

1) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry. Q to go back.
    3) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
    3) Select Install zip from sdcard
    4) Select choose zip from sdcard
    5) Select gapps.zip in the list
    6) Select Yes - Install gapps.zip
    7) Eclair only: format your data partition from mounts and storage menu. This may not be required but after the reboot if you see a boot loop please do this step.
    8) Reboot the device via the menu. If you end up in recovery again unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery).

After Reboot (on new install only)
    1) Wait for touch screen calibration first to calibrate your screen
    2) Touch the Android like normal (press menu to set up your APN if you have data)
    3) Setup your google account
    4) If you need wireless then hit back (or cancel not sure which one :p) when its trying to connect (it will offer an option to connect)
    5) Enjoy Gingerbread and report any bugs!

AZERTY / European gps.conf
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25640971&postcount=349 for files
    For each file you want to install:
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    4) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Notes
    - What works: Cellular, Data, GPS, Camera, Bluetooth, Tethering
    - Please enter your APN settings for your network to get data
    - Update will not format your user data partition
    - Dalvik heap and compcache are set to 24mb, 10% respectively. Feel free to tweak via cyanogenmod settings
    - Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel

Whats new
    - Bluetooth
    - Tethering
    - Camera support for locations, effects and zooming
    - GPS related changes
    - Rebased against newer nightly gingerbread branch (for better or worse)

What needs to be tested
    - Bluetooth headsets
    - GPS reliability (modified drivers again)

Known Issues
    - You may need to tell your favorite tethering application to not use wpa_supplicant
    - GPS config is for North America so fix may be slower in other countries (see update above for european config)
    - Stock keyboard is oversized. Install your favorite from the market (should be fine I'm currently using stock).
    - More reliable wireless in some cases with Regulatory domain: 14 (don't quote me on it might be nothing :p)
    - Might break if you use link2sd, may need to format data. Can some one who is using it try updating the su binary in the super user application via the preferences after installation (not a 100% confirmed fix so try at your own risk).
    - Bluetooth not functional for voice calls
    Noticed we are missing code for the GPS in the Camera drivers so going to see if I can get it to work. Got zooming fixed which was easy to enable.
    Gingerbread Alpha 1

Note: This update has not been tested upgrading from eclar so if your coming from it follow the back up steps (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24847104&postcount=264). It probably does work but a back up is recommended no need to update to froyo first. Overall it is more stable then Froyo despite being an Alpha (I'll move it to beta status next week once we have bluetooth)

Getting the files
    1) Download update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/update.zip
    2) Place on sdcard root keep name as update.zip
    3) Download google apps from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/gapps.zip (these are the same are modified to mount the custpack partition unlike the standard cynogen ones)
    4) Place on sdcard root keep name as gapps.zip

Only if your upgrading from Eclair follow this step
    Installing recovery (for Eclair only)
    1) Get the update package at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip (this is the Foryo one we only use it to install the recovery)
    2) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    3) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    4) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.

Installing Gingerbread
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    4) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Installing Google Applications
    3) Select Install zip from sdcard
    4) Select choose zip from sdcard
    5) Select gapps.zip in the list
    6) Select Yes - Install gapps.zip
    7) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Reboot device
    1) Wait for touch screen calibration first to calibrate your screen
    2) Touch the Android like normal (press menu to set up your APN if you have data)
    3) Setup your google account
    4) If you need wireless then hit back (or cancel not sure which one :p) when its trying to connect (it will offer an option to connect)
    5) Enjoy Gingerbread and report any bugs!

AZERTY / European gps.conf
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25640971&postcount=349 for files
    For each file you want to install:

Important Install Update 1 from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25742778&postcount=364

Notes
    - What works: Cellular, Data, GPS, Camera
    - What doesn't: Bluetooth, Tethering (untested but probably doesn't :/)
    - Tethering is not supported or at least I haven't tested it and doesn't work yet (sorry next update possibly)
    - Update will format your userdata and cache partition
    - Future updates will be large [about the same size] (they won't format data and cache any more)
    - You can tweak settings via cynognemod settings some of the values like dalvik-heap are on default (I'll bump these up in a future update)
    - Some junk is left over for developers will be removed in a future update (forgot it in a rush :D)
    - Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel

Known Issues
    - Audio recording is broken in most applications (Fixed in update 1)
    -Mute does not work in the phone application during a call please don't use it!! Fixed in update 1
    - To turn screen on in the phone press any key other then hangup or predictably you know what will happen (probably expected, don't know if this happened in stock)
    - Stay away from Clockworkmod it does not work on this ROM
    - GPS config is for North America so fix may be slower in other countries (see update above for european config)
    - Stock keyboard is oversized. Install your favorite from the market (should be fine I'm currently using stock).
    - More reliable wireless in some cases with Regulatory domain: 14 (don't quote me on it might be nothing :p)
    Froyo 2.2.2

INSTRUCTIONS ARE DEPRECATED [A GINGERBREAD UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED SOON PLEASE AVOID]

An update package is included (its designed for Windows but if your familiar with fastboot just follow what the bat files do after getting fastboot for your platform.) If your device doesn't boot for some reason restore the back up you made your data should be restored. By flashing the update.zip in this package you are formatting your data partition (so you will have to reinstall applications if the update is successful). You can get the update package at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip its about 125 mb. Please use instructions from the forum the instructions in the zip are older. Make sure you also read the notes below before installing.

Backing up
    9) Select backup (allow it to complete)

Restoring (incase something goes wrong)
    5) Unplug your device (and remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
    9) Select restore
    10) Pick the back up you had made earlier based on the date.
    11) Select power off from the menu to shut down.After a couple of seconds remove

Upgrading to Froyo
    1) Make sure you have made a back up (its easy and it only takes a minute or two)
    2) Copy update.zip on to your sdcard (do not extract)
    3) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    4) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    5) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    6) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
    7) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    8) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    9) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
    10a) Install latest update from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24984298&postcount=279
    11) Power on and welcome to Froyo :D
    12) Wait for touchscreen calibration to come up. Follow instructions. Once finished menu to exit.
    If your touches do not register at ANY point then see CalibrationPoints.png in package and touch approximately on your screen based on these points.
    If you run into this please tell me (I can tweak the TSCalibration app to be smarter with a bit of work.)
    13) Touch the android icon and skip creating an account (there is a bug in the wizard so your just avoiding it)
    14) Setup everything at this point if necessary re-calibrated your screen via TS Calibration in the menu
    15) Install your favorites launcher (Zeam runs great) and keyboard since no keyboard is installed.

Notes
    - No keyboard is included so use the hardware keyboard and install your favorite via the market.
    - The kernel has been updated based off nobodyAtall's work to help port froyo / gingerbread specific features. Other things are specific to this device (Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel)
    - Busybox is pre-installed to make things easier if you need to adb on to the device
    - All hardware should work if something is broken please tell me. For tethering install your favourite solution from the market (tunnelling support should be compiled in if it isn't yell at me :p).
    - The default launcher sucks so please replace it for the best experience.
    - The ROM is rooted for your already.
    - Battery life seems to be better then typically what you get on stock.
    - Calibration data can be cleared by deleting /data/data/touchscreen*/files/* [path might be wrong will check later] or formatting the data partition (if you need a update.zip to clear calibration please tell me).
    - Please report any bugs I'll issue delta updates to fix them (preferably with reproduction steps)
    - Whats next? Probably GB or ICS :p
    I just figured out why Alcatel disabled HW acceleration for compositing (the MOVE still has the same stupid bug) it was so their logo appears fine on the boot screen. Other wise the hardware supports it and it works fine. So I'm going just enable it and fix the boot screen it just needs a larger image or else the pitch will screw up (I think, if I can't fix it don't be surprised by a corrupted Alcatel logo for less then a second or two). Only advantage you gain animations use hardware and things which use hardware surfaces actually get them. Oh and the awesome screen off animation works :p. Animations are now silky smooth between windows.

EDIT: That was easy enough to fix. So logo will look fine :D