[MOD] Add 3G Switch to Comm Manager - 3G Toggle - (Black & White Available)

Search This thread

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
I scoured the web for a decent looking 3G icon in CommManager and they were not pleasing to the eye. I am NOT an artist, in fact I suck at it :) but mine still look better than the alternatives and I provide the black and white CAB of the images to match most themes.

Here is my 3G icon CAB for Comm Manager based on this post: http://www.fuzemobility.com/how-to-disable-3g/
  • Why do you need this? Because turning off 3G makes my Touch Pro (AT&T Fuze) battery last longer, about 2-3 days instead of having to charge daily. Low 3G reception areas cause the phone to keep looking hard for that 3G signal. EDGE network is a trade-off, my other software has support have plenty of web browsers that are optimized for low-speed, so I only turn on 3G when I truly need some internet speed.

• Only for GSM phones

• Does not work on Touch Pro 2 or Diamond 2. My guess is it will no longer work for newer devices as HTC has disabled this hidden feature in Comm Manager. Use my app, JZ SmartMort which has a macro/script to turn 3G on and off. It's the only thing I can offer for newer devices.

• It will replace whatever button is in the 5th position (look at the screenshots below), usually "Microsoft Direct Push" is in that position.

• To restore Microsoft Direct Push back to position #5 in CommManager, you can do either of the following.
    • Uninstall my CAB and it will reverse the single registry change.
    • Using the Advanced Config Tool (Right-Menu -> More Settings -> Comm Manager) the order of the buttons can easily be changed.
    • Modify the registry for that 5th button HKLM\Software\HTC\CommManager\5\(Default) change "3G" string that my CAB put there to "AUTD", which basically means MS Direct Push.

• The most important thing that the CAB provides is the four images that will end up in \Windows folder. After the CAB is installed, you have to kill CommManager.exe if it's running or take a reboot before seeing the new button/image.

• This will work on VGA, QVGA and other devices running the "Diamond" or "Opal" version of CommManager (verify with screenshots below) and it should work on all ported versions of CommManager as well.

• Tested on:
    • HTC Raphael / Touch Pro / Fuze
    • HTC Tytn II / Kaiser / Tilt --- (needs HTC CommManager like shown below not the original blue Microsoft one)
Enjoy!
JZ

attachment.php

attachment.php

I ripped this white 3G button with a circle around it from Da_G's WM 6.5 Kitchen.
Above you see how it looks and from the attachments this is CAB that you would want.

Attachments

• Add_3G_to_CommManager.jpg
    Add_3G_to_CommManager.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5,641
  • Add_3G_with_Circle.jpg
    Add_3G_with_Circle.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4,622
Last edited:

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
please help me, Icons on Comm manager!!

thank!

Did you install one of my CABs? If so then why is 3G button not in the 5th position? I also noticed that your signature says that you a Kaiser / Tilt, which is a QVGA device. I just tested my 3G CABs on a QVGA device and they work just as good as on VGA devices, so this can't be caused because you installed my CABs.

Re-install your Comm Manager from links below, obviously stick to QVGA.

Full QVGA version of CommManager:

Full VGA version of CommManager:

Lastly, please don't use this thread for general questions unless you installed my CAB's and it's causing problems. There are plenty of Question & Answer threads/sections on this forum to post your questions and this answer was easy to find with the following google search terms "comm manager qvga xda" and "comm manager qvga xda diamond"...

Thanks!
JZ

Last edited:

Latentk

Feb 13, 2008
Installed, tested, and working beautifully on my HTC TyTn 2. I am running Anryl 6.5 RC1. NO troubles at all. Thanks for the GREAT app!

ionrage

Nov 19, 2007
Doesn't seem to make difference on mine as well. I am using Touch HD with Dutty's XT v3

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Doesn't seem to make difference on mine as well. I am using Touch HD with Dutty's XT v3

Interesting, I don't have Touch HD so I can't say for sure but some procedures below should hopefully answer this popular topic of HD.

Have you tried going into Advanced Config Tool and following the instructions from the first post to change CommManager button order around?

I'm pretty sure that I've seen Touch HD with the same CommManager as Diamond/Fuze uses so it seems as if it should work.

Post screenshots if possible... of CommManager and Advanced Config settings. I want to see if the button present or grayed out, etc... It's hard to assess anything w/o this sort of info.

Nightcookie

Dec 31, 2007
Looks like a neat piece of software!

Two questions:
1) Will it restore the default comm manager when uninstalled?
2) Is there a way for localisation (ie show some other text than English)?

Ta,

N.

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Looks like a neat piece of software!

Two questions:
1) Will it restore the default comm manager when uninstalled?
2) Is there a way for localisation (ie show some other text than English)?

Ta,

N.

Great question!

No, it will not return button #5 back to "Microsoft Direct Push"... You would need to use Advanced Config to change the order back... I guess I could create a CAB to restore back but Advanced Config is a popular utility, I would expect most users here to have that handy.

An uninstall will probably delete the image files from \Windows and leave the user with a blank button.

EDIT: look at the first post for a restore CAB which you should run after uninstalling.

Last edited:

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Great question!

No, it will not return button #5 back to "Microsoft Direct Push"... You would need to use Advanced Config to change the order back... I guess I could create a CAB to restore back but Advanced Config is a popular utility, I would expect most users here to have that handy.

An uninstall will probably delete the image files from \Windows and leave the user with a blank button.

EDIT: look at the first post for a restore CAB which you should run after uninstalling.

I tested further and found out that my CAB will put the registry setting back to MS Direct Push when my CAB is uninstalled. This is the registry value: HKLM\Software\HTC\CommManager\5\(Default) = "AUTD"

Again, the answer is YES my CAB will put reverse the single registry change that it makes, I forgot about that general feature of CAB files.

I'm pulling the useless "restore" CAB from the first post.

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
Good mod but on my Htc Diamond doesn't work. If I put 3g icon to off in Settings i see GSM, but if I put it to ON i see on settings 'Auto' and not WCDMA (3G) so the diamond connect however to Edge (GSM).

Thanks ;)

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Good mod but on my Htc Diamond doesn't work. If I put 3g icon to off in Settings i see GSM, but if I put it to ON i see on settings 'Auto' and not WCDMA (3G) so the diamond connect however to Edge (GSM).

Thanks ;)

Is your Diamond CDMA or GSM?

Keep in mind this is not a hack, this is default functionality for that Comm Manager. My CAB simply changes one of the buttons to a predefined string in the registry, not something that I came up with. The only thing that I provide is the images... take a look at this website and you will see that this is a known mod for these devices but only GSM not CDMA versions of the devices. I will change the first post to reflect that.

Take a look at this thread, this mod has been out for a while:
http://www.fuzemobility.com/how-to-disable-3g/

When you use this mod w/o my CAB, the button will still work but will have an empty image which I certainly did not like, hence my effort.

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
Is your Diamond CDMA or GSM?

Keep in mind this is not a hack, this is default functionality for that Comm Manager. My CAB simply changes one of the buttons to a predefined string in the registry, not something that I came up with. The only thing that I provide is the images... take a look at this website and you will see that this is a known mod for these devices but only GSM not CDMA versions of the devices. I will change the first post to reflect that.

Take a look at this thread, this mod has been out for a while:
http://www.fuzemobility.com/how-to-disable-3g/

When you use this mod w/o my CAB, the button will still work but will have an empty image which I certainly did not like, hence my effort.

My diamond is GSM version (With Sim) but UMTS, HDSPA and 3G Enable only with WCDMA Option..