[Q] whatsapp contact pictures with various roms

Search This thread

Steinhund

Nov 13, 2010
Leipzig
Hey nerds,

I write this here in the developer section cause I'm not really shure if it fits in the general secction.

I tried different ROMs during the last weeks and instead of one I used the FACEBOOK contact pictures are not showing in whatsapp. If the contact uses a google account contact picture everything works well.

I tried different workarounds to fix it but nothing helped.

-Installing whatsapp from the market, new login, restore message backup or not
-restoring a titanium backup from a working rom including and exccluding data
-erasing app data, stop the app, deleting app cache, actualizing contact
-install whatsapp first then facebook and vice versa

...nothing works

If I use a ROM where the pictures where not showing from the beginning there I can find no fix.

I tried the following roms

LBC Mod 0.6 - everything works fine
Runnymede S 3.3a amd former versions - don't work
MIUI - don't work
CM 7.1 (final and latast nightlys) - don't work
SAGA 3D 3.0 an former versions - don't work

If I switch the contact pictures to google it works but I do not have pictures in all contacts there.

Only ROM it works is LBC which is still a very good ROM but a little otdated and I definetly like sense 3.5

Is there a known fix I didn't tried or found here on XDA oder google?

thanks

Nick

I've had this issue myself too...

From what i've learned over the course of the last couple of months, i see that the Whatsapp contact pictures work on all the Sense 3.0 ROMs i have tried....(The GoAPK leaked release by Proxuser, Hyperion by Lowveld) and DO NOT work on any of the Sense 3.5 ROMs (Runny ports by both Proxuser and Lowveld). I must be honest, i never tried CM7 or MIUI... I'm a regular sense guy.

I figure it is probably because of the way Facebook integration has been implemented in Sense 3.5....instead of the separate Facebook for HTC Sense account, and Facebook regular account, there is now a consolidated account in 3.5 which embraces the both. That has screwed things up for Whatsapp somehow...

The photo integration is working well with third party apps and Whatsapp shows contact pictures from, say, Friendcaster Pro, but not from native Facebook. I've solved the problem by assigning pics manually to contacts uncer the "Phone Contacts" account and they show up in Whatsapp just fine. I know its painful, but hey, whatever works, right?

However, other third party apps have easy access to facebook photos from my phonebook, so it's not like sense is at fault here...

I think this needs to be looked at by the developers of Whatsapp, rather than try to overhaul an entire version of Sense. I have been in touch with the developers of the app and put in a request for Sense 3.5 integration fix.

Now just waiting patiently for a bug-fix update from Whatsapp. I suggest more people mail them so this issue is taken seriously... Just a thought.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Steinhund

Nov 13, 2010
Leipzig
So I'm looking forward to a fix by the developers. Thanks for answering.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

Steinhund

Nov 13, 2010
Leipzig
Right now I am back on LBC (best ROM for my use so far and very good battery life) - but synched my contact pict in google manually. I dont't have that much facebook contacts (I know them all in real life :) ) so this was not that much work. So evertime I play with sense 3.5 (which I really like) I will have my contact pics in whatsapp. Nevertheless, this seems to be problem on a lot of devices using facebook app and whatsapp (I searched a lot) - so this is not a problem with our devices using sense 3.5.

Steinhund

Nov 13, 2010
Leipzig
This is neither sense nor any rom related. The problem is caused by whatsapp itself. By any reason the app is not able to show contact pictures from the Facebook app itself.

In sense 3.0 Roms and below you could use Facebook for sense to sync the contacts - no problem for whatsapp. The newer sense versions are using the Facebook app for syncing. If you use a third party app like friendcaster the pics are shown correctly.

I recommend to sync the pics with your Google account manually, this is what I did. And then use the Google pics in contacts. I know this is a little work to do and there are apps in the store you can use therefore. But you only have to do it once.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Desire S mit Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had this issue myself too...

From what i've learned over the course of the last couple of months, i see that the Whatsapp contact pictures work on all the Sense 3.0 ROMs i have tried....(The GoAPK leaked release by Proxuser, Hyperion by Lowveld) and DO NOT work on any of the Sense 3.5 ROMs (Runny ports by both Proxuser and Lowveld). I must be honest, i never tried CM7 or MIUI... I'm a regular sense guy.

I figure it is probably because of the way Facebook integration has been implemented in Sense 3.5....instead of the separate Facebook for HTC Sense account, and Facebook regular account, there is now a consolidated account in 3.5 which embraces the both. That has screwed things up for Whatsapp somehow...

The photo integration is working well with third party apps and Whatsapp shows contact pictures from, say, Friendcaster Pro, but not from native Facebook. I've solved the problem by assigning pics manually to contacts uncer the "Phone Contacts" account and they show up in Whatsapp just fine. I know its painful, but hey, whatever works, right?

However, other third party apps have easy access to facebook photos from my phonebook, so it's not like sense is at fault here...

I think this needs to be looked at by the developers of Whatsapp, rather than try to overhaul an entire version of Sense. I have been in touch with the developers of the app and put in a request for Sense 3.5 integration fix.

Now just waiting patiently for a bug-fix update from Whatsapp. I suggest more people mail them so this issue is taken seriously... Just a thought.

Cheers.
    I have the same issue - try the app syncmypix which has been suggested on androidforums.

Ive tried it and it works - now have contact pics for contacts from facebook or joined with facebook and they feed through to whatsapp - so it is a valid workaround...
    Moved to proper forum.