[Q] Question about warranty when unlocking bootloader and installing custom ROMS

Search This thread

danielsinnema

Aug 21, 2013
Drachten
Will I really lose my warranty if I unlock the bootloader and install custom ROMS?
And will I get back my warranty if I relock the boot loader and flash stock ROM?
Asus can't see I flashed my device in the past if I have stock ROM with locked bootloader, can they?

Can anyone tell me how this works exactly?
Everywhere I read I MAY risk to lose warranty.
Thanks in advance!

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Will I really lose my warranty if I unlock the bootloader and install custom ROMS?
And will I get back my warranty if I relock the boot loader and flash stock ROM?
Asus can't see I flashed my device in the past if I have stock ROM with locked bootloader, can they?

Thanks in advance!

No (well...can go either way)
Yes (although you don't really lose it in the first place)
Once you've flashed the factory image and relocked the bootloader, no they can't (only Nexus to have a tamper flag is the N5)

That warning is standard on all unlockable devices. It's a standard disclaimer they put on there just like any other company would (to cover their butts). However, I do see where the company is coming from. I've seen noobs unlock and start flashing, and then end up messing their device up beyond recovery. They then feel they have the right to get it repaired free of charge. If you know what you are doing, chances are good you'll be fine. If something is actually defective, and as long as you still have to ability to flash stock image and relock, you're good. That being said, I've also read stories of people getting RMAs successfully even though they were unlocked/rooted/ROMed. As long as you can make a case that the defect wasn't caused by your own doing, I would imagine you'd be okay.

Reactions: danielsinnema

danielsinnema

Aug 21, 2013
Drachten
Once you've flashed the factory image and relocked the bootloader, no they can't (only Nexus to have a tamper flag is the N5)

That warning is standard on all unlockable devices. It's a standard disclaimer they put on there just like any other company would (to cover their butts). However, I do see where the company is coming from. I've seen noobs unlock and start flashing, and then end up messing their device up beyond recovery. They then feel they have the right to get it repaired free of charge. If you know what you are doing, chances are good you'll be fine. If something is actually defective, and as long as you still have to ability to flash stock image and relock, you're good. That being said, I've also read stories of people getting RMAs successfully even though they were unlocked/rooted/ROMed. As long as you can make a case that the defect wasn't caused by your own doing, I would imagine you'd be okay.

Thanks mate for your explanation, I was looking for this.
I have some experience flashing android devices so I probably won't mess up my device ;) I have bought my nexus 7 2013 recently and I don't want to have no warranty when I discover a hardware issue.. But everything seems to be fine actually. I'll install a cm 11 nightly soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

danielsinnema

Aug 21, 2013
Drachten
If you should ever need to bring your N7 to the service within the warranty, you will flash a stock ROM, unroot and lock the bootloader. Then you're 100% stock again with no sign of mods.

Do you have a N7 razor 2013?

tetakpatalked from my N7100

Yes, I think I have that version. I have the wifi only version.
Thanks for the tips man!

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Thanks for the tips man!

Good. Yes, it is probably razor flo, check to be sure. I have the same one. Just keep in mind to save all your data and settings elswhere as unlocking the bootloader for the first time will instantly wipe whole your tab and poasibly even corrupt the /data partition.

I have written this morning how to get out of it in one other N7 thread.

tetakpatalked from Nexus 7

danielsinnema

Aug 21, 2013
Drachten
Good. Yes, it is probably razor flo, check to be sure. I have the same one. Just keep in mind to save all your data and settings elswhere as unlocking the bootloader for the first time will instantly wipe whole your tab and poasibly even corrupt the /data partition.

Yes I see.
I backed up everything in TWRP before I unlocked the bootloader.
I'm now have installed the latest nighty of Cm 11, which is running flawlessly.

Thank you all for telling me how stuff works!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pepsitank

Apr 10, 2014
Yes thank you for creating this thread because then it helps encourage people like me want to root and learn things I want to learn to be a developer when I grow up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance!

If you should ever need to bring your N7 to the service within the warranty, you will flash a stock ROM, unroot and lock the bootloader. Then you're 100% stock again with no sign of mods.

Do you have a N7 razor 2013?

tetakpatalked from my N7100
    Thanks for the tips man!

Yes thank you for creating this thread because then it helps encourage people like me want to root and learn things I want to learn to be a developer when I grow up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app