Accidentally deleted everything, Kindle Fire stuck in TWRP

Search This thread

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
Hi,

I accidentally deleted everything through TWRP. I wanted the kindle fresh for my new ROM, and thought that deleting everything would make for a cleaner install. I was wrong and now all my kindle is good for is TWRP.

When in TWRP, windows doesn't recognize the kindle. Because of this, I cannot mount it. Windows and the kindle fire utility recognizes it as adp when i boot regularly (which is just a black screen) but cannot do anything since it will not enter normal or fast mode.

I don't know what to do, nothing is working. When I restart the kindle it says superuser is not installed, and asks if I would like to install it. I say yes, and it fails. Super user WAS installed before I deleted everything.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
Some more info

1. shell doesn't work

2. it looks like the bootmode is stuck in fastboot, but KFU won't recognize it, even though windows does.

3. Windows does not recognize the kindle when in TWRP recovery mode. If It did i could simply transfer files over and flash it...

4. If I try to boot normally, I get a black screen, but FKU recognizes ADP. It does not recognize what bootmode it's in though.

I believe FFF is working as I have the blue kindle logo and options in the bootloader, but no matter what I do I can't figure it out.

I REALLY need some help from you more experienced guys

thanks for reading

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
I'm making some progress, I'm in fastboot command prompt and have access. But what do I do from here?

How can I install a system from fastboot? It looks like all the guides say to install twrp and go from there but I have twrp and it wont communicate with my pc!!!

Last edited:

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
ADB

Some more info

1. shell doesn't work

2. it looks like the bootmode is stuck in fastboot, but KFU won't recognize it, even though windows does.

3. Windows does not recognize the kindle when in TWRP recovery mode. If It did i could simply transfer files over and flash it...

4. If I try to boot normally, I get a black screen, but FKU recognizes ADP. It does not recognize what bootmode it's in though.

I believe FFF is working as I have the blue kindle logo and options in the bootloader, but no matter what I do I can't figure it out.

I REALLY need some help from you more experienced guys

thanks for reading

Do you have adb and fastboot intstalled on your PC??

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
I went to boot and at the black screen tried to push the stock kindle FW. it failed for some reason

c:\kfu\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

c:\kfu\tools>adb push C:\update.zip \tmp
failed to copy 'C:\update.zip' to '\tmp': Read-only file system

c:\kfu\tools>

Here is me trying adb devices in recovery mode

c:\kfu\tools>adb reboot recovery

List of devices attached

Interestingly, rebooting into recovery just brought me to the bootloader. it wouldnt boot into recovery by itself, I have to manually do it through the bootloader. Immediately, booting into recovery disconnects my kindle from the pc, and I hear the sound in windows and the kindle dissapears from device manager.

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
I went to boot and at the black screen tried to push the stock kindle FW. it failed for some reason

List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

c:\kfu\tools>adb push C:\update.zip \tmp
failed to copy 'C:\update.zip' to '\tmp': Read-only file system

Here is me trying adb devices in recovery mode

c:\kfu\tools>adb reboot recovery

List of devices attached

Interestingly, rebooting into recovery just brought me to the bootloader. it wouldnt boot into recovery by itself, I have to manually do it through the bootloader. Immediately, booting into recovery disconnects my kindle from the pc, and I hear the sound in windows and the kindle dissapears from device manager.

So you can boot into recovery yes??

What is this KFU if that some kindle stuff we need to get rid of it and get the fastboot and adb from google... The SDK

make sure you open your CMD window as admin and try putting that file in the /sdcard not the /tmp

Last edited:

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
So you can boot into recovery yes??

What is this KFU if that some kindle stuff we need to get rid of it and get the fastboot and adb from google... The SDK

make sure you open your CMD window as admin and try putting that file in the /sdcard not the /tmp

I can boot into recovery, yes. KFU is kindle fire utility. I have the sdk and fastboot and adb.

could putting it in tmp be why the push failed?

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Admin

I can boot into recovery, yes. KFU is kindle fire utility. I have the sdk and fastboot and adb.

could putting it in tmp be why the push failed?

Or maybe you did not open you CMD window as admin....but twrp should see your devices in adb and let you push things to the /sdcard for sure... I have one right in front of me, but I am running linux which is much better for these kinds of things... Here is my output of that command and than a push of a zip file

Code:
lj50036@cmbroms ~ $ adb devices
List of devices attached 
0123456789ABCDEF	recovery

lj50036@cmbroms ~ $ adb push cmb_kkgapps_20131209.zip /sdcard
6121 KB/s (126216099 bytes in 20.135s)

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
I ran it as admin, now I get an error saying /sdcard is a directory

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:/kfu/tools

c:\kfu\tools>adb push C:\update.zip /sdcard
failed to copy 'C:\update.zip' to '/sdcard': Is a directory

List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
feedback

List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

Move everything to the root of your c drive fastboot.exe, adb.exe, update.zip, all of it and than when you open your CMD windowas admin type

cd /

This will move you to the root of your c drive in you CMD window... Than type dir to make sure u can see your fastboot and adb and your update zip

than type

adb push update.zip /sdcard

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012

List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

It's been a long time since I looked at this, but I seem to remember the windows adb client wanting a trailing slash if the push destination is a directory. That is... you want to use "/sdcard/" instead of "/sdcard" in that command to indicate that you want to push a file into that directory rather than replace the directory with a file (which it won't allow). Alternatively, you can use "/sdcard/update.zip" to remove any ambiguity from the command.

The output of your "adb devices" command is also a concern. It doesn't look to me as if you've booted the device into TWRP because it should output "recovery" and not "device" at the end there. One way or another, you'll have to get it to boot into TWRP if you want to flash that update.zip.

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
I wanna thank you guys for helping me. I'll never be able to figure this out alone.

Still no luck. It either says it's a directory or I lack permission.

C:\>adb devices
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

C:\>adb push update.zip /sdcard
failed to copy 'update.zip' to '/sdcard': Is a directory

C:\>adb push update.zip /sdcard/
failed to copy 'update.zip' to '/sdcard//update.zip': Permission denied

C:\>adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip
failed to copy 'update.zip' to '/sdcard/update.zip': Permission denied

C:\>

I can get into TWRP, but windows will not recognize the kindle while in recovery mode. The only times windows will recognize the devices is if I'm sitting at the boot launcher (it says fastboot) or try and normal boot (and it says "device"). If I could just connect to the PC in TWRP, i could mount it, cut for some reason I can't. Whenever I exit TWRP it also warns me that superuser is not installed, and if I would like to install it. I say yes, and it gives me an error =/

Fastboot works great though, is there anything I can just flash?

Last edited:

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
I wanna thank you guys for helping me. I'll never be able to figure this out alone.

I can get into TWRP, but windows will not recognize the kindle while in recovery mode. The only times windows will recognize the devices is if I'm sitting at the boot launcher (it says fastboot) or try and normal boot (and it says "device"). If I could just connect to the PC in TWRP, i could mount it, cut for some reason I can't. Whenever I exit TWRP it also warns me that superuser is not installed, and if I would like to install it. I say yes, and it gives me an error =/

Try to use the "mount" function in TWRP to mount the /sdcard partition on your computer. It should work with the generic drivers already on your Windows PC and you can copy the update.zip over to it that way. If you can't get that to work, you are going to have to try reinstalling the drivers to get your PC to recognize TWRP. There are detailed instructions on how to do this in my guide.

The only other thing I can think of is to try reflashing an older version of TWRP. Those directions are available in one of my guides as well.

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Recovery

I would if it were me, install a recovery you dont plan on using... Than flash the one you would like to us.... I know it sounds funny but.. Ive be here before and that seems to work everytime... Than flash ROM and Gapps....

Here is the link to TWRP the first gen fire is an 'otter'... Make sure you get the otter.img....Than rename the .img file to twrp.img than put it with fastboot.exe and open CMD window as admin...and type

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img

Than

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions along the way... Thx as always lj

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
I didn't see the link for the older TWRP, but I went to the website and tried this one

http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/blaze

openrecovery-twrp-2.4.2.0-otter.img

I successfully flashed it and rebooted, but when the kindle went into recovery mode it once again disconnected from the computer. In recovery, which was clearly the older TWRP version, I attempted to mount but nothing happened. Of course it can't happen if it isn't communicating with my pc =/

Can I flash a ROM directly through fastboot? That would probably solve the issue, no?

What about that other recovery program, COTR?

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
I didn't see the link for the older TWRP, but I went to the website and tried this one

http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/blaze

openrecovery-twrp-2.4.2.0-otter.img

I successfully flashed it and rebooted, but when the kindle went into recovery mode it once again disconnected from the computer. In recovery, which was clearly the older TWRP version, I attempted to mount but nothing happened. Of course it can't happen if it isn't communicating with my pc =/

Can I flash a ROM directly through fastboot? That would probably solve the issue, no?

What about that other recovery program, COTR?

2.6.3.1 Give that one a try!!!

Last edited:

llmercll

Aug 14, 2012
I was able to get TWRP recognized by windows by using the earliest blaze edition. I mounted, copied the files, and then flashed back to 2.6.3.1 otter.

Then I wiped whatever data may have been in system data and cache and installed a new rom...

Only problem is it seems to be hanging on "updating partition details.."

I have the option to reboot, but am not sure if I should...

Last edited: