[Q] Anyone find a WIFI tether app that works yet?

Search This thread

Link200

Jul 25, 2012
FoxFi doesn't seem to work on the Verizon version. Problem is that the Verizon version gets locked down so rooting may take a while. Hopefully someone will find one that works.

EDIT: Bluetooth tethering works, but it is a fraction of the speed. 10% at the most.

Edit 2: Been spoiled with Paranoid Android. Looks like root is required for free WiFi tether to work with KitKat devices.

Last edited:

JJflipped

Jan 18, 2011
I am not buying this phone until it is rooted because of this.

If there is a workaround, I am 100% buying this thing ASAP.

So... Anyone have some ideas?

ahmed_ais

Jul 21, 2011
Well excuse me guys but I think I'm missing something here. What's wrong with tethering? The default settings for tethering works fine with me without any other app.

ahmed_ais

Jul 21, 2011
For verizon don't you need to pay for hotspots/tethering?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Ops my mistake. I though you meant the feature in general is not working. Now I understand, it's working but with extra subscription while on Verizon. I'm not on the same network so I don't have such issue.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

XsCode

Aug 14, 2006
Leyland
Don't know if it's any use to you but on Three in the UK you have to pay for tethering or it blocks internet until you reboot the phone but I found that it can't detect the computer if you're using a linux distro. Worth a try with a live disk/pen if it's just for browsing etc.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

drbadass

May 23, 2010
Theoretically if you had root, do you think there's an app that would work in Infrastructure mode? I'm on Sprint so root isn't a problem but I had awful tether problems with my old M7 when it went to KitKat and I had to revert back to keep my old android-wifi-tether install working.

RoxAbout

Sep 13, 2010
Climax, Ks.
I'm on T-Mobile and purchased clockwork mod tether. DOESN'T work on HTC ONE M8. Would really like to keep this phone but I must have working tether, where I live my cell phone gets better service than the local cable provider!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No_Nickname90

Dec 30, 2010
Who? Stun?
I'm on T-Mobile and purchased clockwork mod tether. DOESN'T work on HTC ONE M8. Would really like to keep this phone but I must have working tether, where I live my cell phone gets better service than the local cable provider!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tmobile gives you 3GB of tethering for free. They don't block the native tethering at all. After you reach the limit, tethering would redirect you to a Tmobile page. Internet services like Dropbox or League of Legends still work even though you've reached the limit. And Facebook, I believe. =.P

But I don't use any tethering apps, and I'm on Tmobile. Is there a reason why you're trying to use ClockworkMod Tether?

EDIT: I forgot, that's on their $20 data plan, the unlimited-no-throttle plan. I don't know how the native tethering works on other plans. Hmm...