[Q] HTC One (M8) mhl connection

Search This thread

dabsketball

Apr 13, 2014
Has anyone gotten their M8 to connect to a TV or monitor using a mhl adapter or cable? Ive tried two so far and have gotten little success. If so what are you using? do i need to find a certain brand of cable or adapter to mirror my One M8 on my TV screen?

the two I used were an auvio mhl adapter which i got to work mabey 10% of the time with a ton of unplugging and reconecting cables, I returned that one for a radioshack mhl to hdmi cable which i couldnt get to mirror at all but when plugged into the phone it allowed the phone to go into landscape but no video

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Has anyone gotten their M8 to connect to a TV or monitor using a mhl adapter or cable? Ive tried two so far and have gotten little success. If so what are you using? do i need to find a certain brand of cable or adapter to mirror my One M8 on my TV screen?

the two I used were an auvio mhl adapter which i got to work mabey 10% of the time with a ton of unplugging and reconecting cables, I returned that one for a radioshack mhl to hdmi cable which i couldnt get to mirror at all but when plugged into the phone it allowed the phone to go into landscape but no video

I can confirm that the Samsung one works perfectly fine. I think I bought it for the galaxy S3. Here is a pic.

yjy2e4at.jpg

8udyjydy.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dabsketball

technologiq

Apr 1, 2012

I've had decent luck with the 'Rocketfish' MHL adapters that are available at BestBuy. I'll have it work fine for a while and then all of a sudden I'll loose video but keep audio. I've since ordered a MHL adapter of Monoprice that had good reviews. I'll update if I get anywhere.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I can confirm that the Samsung one works perfectly fine. I think I bought it for the galaxy S3. Here is a pic.

yjy2e4at.jpg

8udyjydy.jpg

Samsung S3 uses a 12 pin connection (I also bought it) and that's not the one, from looking at the photo. Are you sure that's not the adapter from the S2 or something?
I still haven't found any info regarding if the HTC One m8 uses mhl 2.0 or 1.0
Any news regarding this matter?

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Samsung S3 uses a 12 pin connection (I also bought it) and that's not the one, from looking at the photo. Are you sure that's not the adapter from the S2 or something?

it might be an S2, that is why I post a pic with the model number so people can search by it.

Reactions: Dr01d.K

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
If you have an AV receiver that supports MHL, the best thing to use is a passive MHL cable. Fortunately my Onkyo TX-NR5010 supports MHL & it works perfectly using this Pipeline passive MHL cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ2KL76/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have never lost video or audio with it. *Please Note: If you do NOT have a receiver or a TV that supports MHL natively, then this will not work for you. It is a PASSIVE cable that transmits the raw MHL signal to the receiver or TV for native processing/decoding. If you DO have a TV or receiver that supports MHL though, then this is the way to go. Those little adapters will never match the reliability & quality of native decoding via an AVR or high-end TV.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I am also having trouble getting mhl adapter to work with my HTC One_M8. Tried two different ones already. The mhl symbol appears on the phone but no image on the TV. Anyone has any tips? I'm getting desperate
Thanks

CopperGenius

Oct 2, 2014
MHL Works on HTC One (M8)

I bought 2 cheap cords on Amazon which took about 2 weeks to get to me because they came from China. In the beginning the order I plugged in the cords mattered. However, now I just plug them in, in any order and they work just fine. I am sorry you paid top dollar at radio shack for the cord. I almost did too. Here is a link to the one I bought. I was thinking about buying a few more to give to friends. I paid $3.78 with shipping each. Now they are even cheaper. They only utilize MHL 1.0 technology and our phone has 3.0 technology. Here is the link to the one I am currently using on a daily basis to watch movies I have downloaded in HD on my TV from my phone.

New user, so it won't let me post the link but add (amazon dot com forward slash) to the following : eForCity®-Compatible-Micro-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B00827EGG2/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_qp_10_0FRY?ie=UTF8&refRID=05W5ENJ6B2ZNZ2A6AR2Y

Reactions: Billchen0014

skybluejay

Dec 5, 2014
This is exactly the same one I found knocking around my house. Same serial number and everything it didn't work at first but after a few tries different hdmi ports and a cleaning of the ports got the adapter working. Took a bit of time to get connected but stuck with it and now I can view my phone on my TV to the post above showing the Samsung adapter

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I bought 2 cheap cords on Amazon which took about 2 weeks to get to me because they came from China. In the beginning the order I plugged in the cords mattered. However, now I just plug them in, in any order and they work just fine. I am sorry you paid top dollar at radio shack for the cord. I almost did too. Here is a link to the one I bought. I was thinking about buying a few more to give to friends. I paid $3.78 with shipping each. Now they are even cheaper. They only utilize MHL 1.0 technology and our phone has 3.0 technology. Here is the link to the one I am currently using on a daily basis to watch movies I have downloaded in HD on my TV from my phone.

New user, so it won't let me post the link but add (amazon dot com forward slash) to the following : eForCity®-Compatible-Micro-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B00827EGG2/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_qp_10_0FRY?ie=UTF8&refRID=05W5ENJ6B2ZNZ2A6AR2Y
Our phone dosent use mhl 3.0. It uses 1.0
And I quit trying to make it work, after 4 different adapters, 2 HDMI cables and 2 TVs I just gave up :(

M-FayeHTC

Sep 26, 2015
Baltimore
A Generic MHL HDMI adapter will work.

I've been using a general MHL adapter that came with the 5 to11 pin Galaxy add-on (which I don't use of course for my HTC). This has worked flawlessly for me no problem for years now. Make sure you have a good power source, the only problems I have had is my phone will say "slow charging", and the Media Device output will not work. Mine is pretty old, over a year & a half I've been using it, so I'm looking for a new one. They have one with a remote which is what led me to the review on here (a diff thread). However, they have the same one I have on Amazon or Walmart for a few bucks, you shouldn't have a problem. I'll add the links below...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00KPXI4S2/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=1
http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/MHL...TV-Adpater-Cable-with-Remote-Control-PCA-380/

Also, I'm on this thread beaise I plan to unlock & root my phone and am concerned that once I do that an adapter will no longer work :( Any suggestions or experience with this would be appreciated? Thx:fingers-crossed:

Dec 16, 2010
M8 mhl cable

I have the m8. I bought a Skiva mhl cable from Amazon. I believe it's hd-x2 cable. Works flawlessly only problem ive encountered is it will not play in 5.1 surround. It only transmits a 2.0 audio feed. Which I don't understand. If I use like all cast to cast the stream to my Xbox it transmits in 5.1. So if anyone knows how to get the cable to do 5.1 let me know.

Reactions: Badelhas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yjy2e4at.jpg

8udyjydy.jpg

it might be an S2, that is why I post a pic with the model number so people can search by it.
    MHL Works on HTC One (M8)

M8 mhl cable

I have the m8. I bought a Skiva mhl cable from Amazon. I believe it's hd-x2 cable. Works flawlessly only problem ive encountered is it will not play in 5.1 surround. It only transmits a 2.0 audio feed. Which I don't understand. If I use like all cast to cast the stream to my Xbox it transmits in 5.1. So if anyone knows how to get the cable to do 5.1 let me know.