[10.30.12][TOOLS][TUTS]Let My People THEME!!![WIP]

Search This thread

ciscogee

Aug 13, 2011
Wa State
It's in each individual apk's files
res/values and open the colors.xml

The other option is to find the individual xml for each thing you want to alter, and change the color there.

Example:
In the framework-res.apk (using that, since it's the only one i have decompiled, at the moment, and I'm lazy)
In res/drawable/app_icon_background.xml, you will see the following

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<selector
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
<item android:state_selected="true" android:drawable="@drawable/icon_highlight_square" />
<item android:drawable="@color/transparent" />
</selector>

Where you see <item android:drawable="@color/transparent" />
that references the color.xml... Now you could change it in color.xml, and have everything that says 'transparent' be changed as well, or you could change @color/transparent to something like @color/#ffffffff and have that individual xml call for the color white...

Make sense?

+1 makes sense to me :p

but @color/#ffffffff above should look like

@color=#[transparency][hexcolorcode]

transparency of color=ff,80,00
hexcolorcode=ffffff (white etc.)

you can add colors to colors.xml and point apk colors there too

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
Yea I get what u mean...so I'm guessing there's no way to actually change the background with an image file? I was wanting to get that grey fade into black like on ics

sent from my EC09 continuum

looks like appwidget_bg.9.png should control the background color of settings.apk...
What I do, since I'm a visual person, is compare the png to what I actually see on my phone. Then I'll change it, recompile, and see what happens. I'd try that one, first. What other apk's are you looking at changing the background on?

killjoy1179

Jun 7, 2012
looks like appwidget_bg.9.png should control the background color of settings.apk...
What I do, since I'm a visual person, is compare the png to what I actually see on my phone. Then I'll change it, recompile, and see what happens. I'd try that one, first. What other apk's are you looking at changing the background on?

Mms.apk but the background would just me white so that one is easy.
Phone.apk and maybe 1 or 2 others...still having trouble with decompiling an apk using apk-manager so once I get it figured out, ill have something special coming out! ;)

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
Phone.apk and maybe 1 or 2 others...still having trouble with decompiling an apk using apk-manager so once I get it figured out, ill have something special coming out! ;)

For the black to grey, I would suggest using the blend feature on gimp 2. Select the starting color, and the ending color, then pull the line on the gradient you want to shade. You'll see what I mean, if you play with it.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

ciscogee

Aug 13, 2011
Wa State

some .apk need to be decompiled with dependencies with like framework-res and twframeworks

killjoy1179

Jun 7, 2012
some .apk need to be decompiled with dependencies with like framework-res and twframeworks

Idk if its that but when i open apk manager press 22 to select project it say enter file number (or something like that
) and then nothing happens so turn I press 9 to decompile and it says to select project so idk what the heck it is lol but I'm trying to figure it out

For the black to grey, I would suggest using the blend feature on gimp 2. Select the starting color, and the ending color, then pull the line on the gradient you want to shade. You'll see what I mean, if you play with it.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Yea I've played with it a little and lemme just say its a lot different than paint lol but ill get the hang of it

killjoy1179

Jun 7, 2012
Anyone use easy apk manager? I'm having trouble recompiling my project

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA

ciscogee

Aug 13, 2011
Wa State
Anyone use easy apk manager? I'm having trouble recompiling my project

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA

i was using apk changer, they have a new version of that in its OP.
my links may be older versions but apk multitool or set up dsixdas kitchen in cygwin for rom kitchen needs.

it should tell you the errors in log when they occur.

Last edited:

ciscogee

Aug 13, 2011
Wa State
Future TrailBlazer101's Custom Framework Maker Tut!

Themer built in mods tut

Step 1: adb installed and in path
Step 2: download themer and unzip
Step 3: connect phone to pc and dbl click batch file in themer folder.
Step 4: pull current framework (or drag framework-res.apk into batch and select M)
Step 5: mod (x is softkeys and clock colors etc)
Step 6: make themed apk and cwm
Step 7: push and reboot recovery
Step 8: flash in cwm, reboot

PicTutorial: [download zip file below for all imgs]

01.png

[/code]

Themer decompile mods
Soon

Did anyone like my pictutorial?
:p

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: trailblazer101

jaycush

Jan 17, 2013
What an I doing wrong where it would say adb not installed correct for tb101 themer? I'm really close to being able to advance into theming myself. It looks fun like there are so many more options and no "wait" times.:D

Sent from my SCH-I400 using xda app-developers app

I'm assuming you are using Windows? If so, did you set up adb in the "path"? Is a little to techie for me to explain, but if you know what I'm talking about then you do, if you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably don't :p Google "adb in path".

Reactions: ciscogee

ciscogee

Aug 13, 2011
Wa State
I'm assuming you are using Windows? If so, did you set up adb in the "path"? Is a little to techie for me to explain, but if you know what I'm talking about then you do, if you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably don't :p Google "adb in path".

I believe java should be in path too.

Reactions: roaddog665

jaycush

Jan 17, 2013
I use windows, I'll look into it tonight if time allows. all in the name of getting new green soft keys and ticket clock. :D really hoping to get the ics/jb soft keys.

jaycush

Jan 17, 2013
What the heck am I doing wrong that I can't get adb in the path? I swear it's as bad as working with Oracle, you think you got it and it should be self explanatory but there is just one little piece I must be missing. I've downloaded the development tools I have the samsung drivers but everything says adb not there. I see the application in the sdk folder but have no idea what to do with it. I am running windows vista 32 bit if that makes a difference.

jaycush

Jan 17, 2013
What should the path line look like? I have adb there but now need java. I will try and reinstall java and see if it automatically puts it in the path or if I have to add it manually. I'm learning as I go and there is just so much information spread all over the place it's unreal.

I finally figured it out. Feel like an idiot sometimes, I was over-complicating the solution.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to see everyone getting evolved with personalizing there phone to their liking. Minor theming is not hard at all (i can do it lol). But its opens a door to what can be done with alot of effort from you. We wont have this phone forever, and it is a difficult one to mod, so by starting on this one it should only get easier... right?

Im gonna be stepping back on theming and mod investigations for a few weeks, im still in process of moving and everything is getting packed soon, un packed when house is ready in couple weeks.

These are necessities for tools to start customizing your rom.
    (please correct me if any info is incorrect :D)
    Note: I run WIN764 so these main links are for windows. I will link original threads for other OS'. Also with label em.]
    [ENVIRONMENT]
    Android SDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    EASY TUT: HERE - just make sure you use our phones drivers

Thats the basic environment. [with go further later on]

[NEW]
    Virtuous Ten Studio [Windows Only] - Been watching its development for a long time, its finally available and creating new standards.

[APKTOOLS][must have environment set up.]
    Trailblazer101's Custom Framework Maker : Best Tool for our phone! Keeps getting better, now with apktool and Update.zip support!
    APK EASY MANAGER [OP] : NEW! Very simple UI, Decompile/Recompile apks.
    Apk Manager 5.0.2 [OP] : Great Tools, has options. [NOW APK-Multitool]
    Apk Mutli-Tool [OP] : I used this one the most for mutliple edited apks.
    Apk Changer [OP] : Best tool for editing one apk at a time, only one i use for .jars.

[THEME TOOLS]
    I.D.i.O.T : Theme DataBase [NEW FEATURES]
    Auto Theme Porter [OP] : Used to port themes [.pngs/.9s only] that have same file names, works great for froyo to froyo port. GB and ICS have to do by hand with name changes etc. This is easy way of porting images, you will still have to edit xmls.

[EDITOR TOOLS]
    7zip : Oh so essential for apks!
    Notepad++ : Needed to edit XMLs.
    To be continued....
    Future TrailBlazer101's Custom Framework Maker Tut!

Themer built in mods tut

Step 1: adb installed and in path
    Step 2: download themer and unzip
    Step 3: connect phone to pc and dbl click batch file in themer folder.
    Step 4: pull current framework (or drag framework-res.apk into batch and select M)
    Step 5: mod (x is softkeys and clock colors etc)
    Step 6: make themed apk and cwm
    Step 7: push and reboot recovery
    Step 8: flash in cwm, reboot

PicTutorial: [download zip file below for all imgs]

01.png

[/code]

Themer decompile mods
    Soon
    Oh themer won't damage phone, unless u make mods that don't work and flash via cwm

Even then it won't damage, u just have to make zips of apks u are modding for backup restore
    Theme guides

These are great guides to share, all have basics but great to cross reference for troubleshooting.

Theme Porting Guide : Generalization how-to. [Remember we dont have SystemUI.apk, So most of those systemUI xmls are in your Framework-res.apk and Twframework-res.apk]

The Ultimate Themeing Guide : Pretty much all-in-one guide.

Android Developers Guide : Android Bible. Harder to read though.

Basic .PNG changes:

Advanced .PNG changes:

Creating/Editing .9s: This one still i have not mastered.

XML Edits: [Text colors - Personalize System text - Landscape for any apk]

To be continued....
    We have success, ics blue soft keys, now to turn them green. Woohoo!