USB charger

Search This thread

Gregork

Jan 14, 2007
Save your money and your A701. This thing has only a standard micro-usb plug-in. Check the connector of your Acer charger ... look really close and for better comparison hold a micro-usb-connector from a standard cable next to it. The connector from Acer is longer .. why? because the first row of pins that you can see are not the same ones that fit in a micro-usb-jack. Look deeper into the connector from Acer and you will see a second row of pins.
So if you use this charger with the adapter from that site and set a higer voltage you might fry the usb from your tablet. Sorry to disapoint you but better now than later with a broken tablet.

Thanks Pal. So no any chance for a charger or dock with UBS to not only charge but also for host mouse or keyboard?

BR
Gregork

glitchster

Jan 22, 2011
Crisfield MD
FYI: Universal Serial Bus(USB) & BlueTooth(BT)

Thanks Pal. So no any chance for a charger or dock with UBS to not only charge but also for host mouse or keyboard?

BR
Gregork

I use the short cable with mini and Type-A/female connectors provided with the A700 . This accessory cable will provide you with a standard USB connection.

Check out this link which has some good connector info...

http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/usb.asp

Using a wireless mouse with the wireless transceiver/USB interface, at times referred to as a "dongle", inserted into the type-A female USB connector of the short cable. Plugging the mini connector of the short USB cable into the mini female USB connector located at the bottom of the A700. I switched the mouse on and moved it around. An arrow type cursor appears synched to my hand's motion. It would have been more convenient if the small interface cable had a right-angle mini connector at the end, which I found later to be available from many vendors on the web. Anyway, my mouse works fine.

Then I connected a cheap($15.99) BT(BlueTooth) Logitech wireless keyboard for text editing and writing JAVA programs with so many errors that I'm glad I connected the USB mouse & BT keyboard...

---------------------------------------------
Acer A700's User's Manual Download-

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=4318
----------------------------------------------
A700's Service Manual-

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1716922

:cool:

Gregork

Jan 14, 2007
I use the short cable with mini and Type-A/female connectors provided with the A700 . This accessory cable will provide you with a standard USB connection.

Check out this link which has some good connector info...

http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/usb.asp

Using a wireless mouse with the wireless transceiver/USB interface, at times referred to as a "dongle", inserted into the type-A female USB connector of the short cable. Plugging the mini connector of the short USB cable into the mini female USB connector located at the bottom of the A700. I switched the mouse on and moved it around. An arrow type cursor appears synched to my hand's motion. It would have been more convenient if the small interface cable had a right-angle mini connector at the end, which I found later to be available from many vendors on the web. Anyway, my mouse works fine.

Then I connected a cheap($15.99) BT(BlueTooth) Logitech wireless keyboard for text editing and writing JAVA programs with so many errors that I'm glad I connected the USB mouse & BT keyboard...

---------------------------------------------
Acer A700's User's Manual Download-

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=4318
----------------------------------------------
A700's Service Manual-

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1716922

:cool:

OK, thanks for info.

I think I have to explain - I know I can use the cable provided by Acer but then there will be no charging.

I have Notion Ink Adam and there I can plug a charger (not USB), then I have 3 x USB (1 mini and 2 normal ones) with a Host in one USB. I do not expect so many connections but at least a possibility to use A701 with a wireless mouse/keyboard and be able to charge it in the same time. So therefore I thought to find a divider - a cable with two females and one male connection. Does anybody know if such a thing exist?

I know - when I charge this tab I have many hours of work but would like such ability. Even some small Android stuff like e.g. Rikomagic MK802 has some opportunities (I use it with my TV set).

Best regards/Pozdrowienia
Gregork

lmao2013

Feb 16, 2013
I tried to charge my A700 with a HTC USB charger, but it didn't work. Can anybody confirm that the A700 only can be charged with the original Charger and not with any micro USB cable?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA

Acer a700 tablet charging adapter, oddly, is a 12v output mini adapter. The mini use is the standard except with 'L' shape. Unfortunately, if that crap on you, you will almost completely totally screw. Fortunately, if you still under 1 year warrantee, ACER may send you replacement within 5 business day depends on where you located. Of all the same type USB chargers out there are 5v standard. My emergency to be able to use the device is look for a Similar Output Voltage (12v)' connect it to mini usb with some cut and tape the wire. This is the only option until Acer adapter arrive. Funny thing is, all the retailers I shop around with Acer a700 tablet on shelve, but none carry the device accessories. It's a bad marketing strategy.

harmakhis

Jun 5, 2010
i have the A501 and we have all the same prob, 700 is the clone with HD screen but same flaws...

it seems Acer wants to play Apple with its crappy tuned mini usb connector, but acer is not apple, and quality
and materials are not the same...the A200 is simplier, standard usb, standard charger, standard charge jack connector,
whats the problem with top end tablet as 510 and 700?
uh yeah, if one day my tablet fries or dies, acer will never see me again, and i will go to asus...
perhaps standard connector is intelligence proof , tuned connector is borderline logic....

Sep 20, 2009
Montreal
I have been awaiting shipment of a new charger and have been using the USB 3.0 port, seems to charge about 50% over an 8 hour shift at work using the supplied USB cable.

Last edited:

Angus66

Sep 4, 2012
So has anyone found a suitable car charger for the A700 yet? :confused:

I can't seem to find a car charger that puts out the correct 12V 18W 1.5A that the A700 requires to charge.

I currently use the wall charger + a power inverter in my car, but I'd like to stop that if possible.

Pompeyite

Apr 2, 2013
portsmouth
Can you help answer a question - or two

Save your money and your A701. This thing has only a standard micro-usb plug-in. Check the connector of your Acer charger ... look really close and for better comparison hold a micro-usb-connector from a standard cable next to it. The connector from Acer is longer .. why? because the first row of pins that you can see are not the same ones that fit in a micro-usb-jack. Look deeper into the connector from Acer and you will see a second row of pins.
So if you use this charger with the adapter from that site and set a higer voltage you might fry the usb from your tablet. Sorry to disapoint you but better now than later with a broken tablet.

It seems that finding a cheaper charger for the A700 isn't a simple task. I had to wade through a lot of cross references with some unintentioned misinformation. First thing was the model number. It's the A510 that is most like the A700 not the A500. Though the A500 does share some similarities it's not the closest match.

When I look for any type of charger, I make sure that the output voltage is correct and the amperage requirements are correct. Looking at the A700's charger, the manufacturer managed to squeeze a lot of info onto it. Amperage is what I always try to find. That is the total amount of current it can handle and deliver to the device connected to it. The A700's charger can handle 1.5 amps. So, the A700 sucks up a quantity of 1.5 amperes of electrons in order for the battery to fill up to it's capacity. That is the load the tablet's battery presents to the charger. Make sure that the charger bought for the A700/A510 can handle at least 1.5 amperes or the wall wart will be OVERLOADED. This is where the charger begins to overheat, smoking warning signals may start coming from the plug and your're asked for a donation for the local voluteer fire department. Besides the voltage which is 12 volts dc, load current requirement is the most important value I make sure is correct for saftey's sake. It is alright to get a charger that has a higher amperage rating but the voltage must be the same, 12vdc for the A700. It just means the charger can handle a larger load.

The only adapter I could find was the original Acer product, mainly because of the unique USB dual purpose connector interface. There is a little diagram of the pinout for the plug on the charger. Using a magnifing glass, I could barely make out the pins the +/-12vdc are attached. Pin P1 is +12vdc and pin P12 is -12vdc. It looks almost beyond a humans capabilities to make or solder together a short plug interface conversion cable in order to use other 12vdc/1.5 A chargers.

I've read in the forums some uncertainty about the proper specs for a replacement charger for the A700, that's why I wrote this post. Maybe , this will help clearup some of the confusion and not add to it. I've also noted a lot of chatter about using a USB cable with the micro USB plug to charge the A700 tablet. Apparently, USB charging can be acheived but it is very slow ( 24 hours or more ) and the amber/white power LED does not indicate the tablet is charging or has finished charging.

If anyone has more info about the A700 charger please reply or post....

Thanks All...

Hi,
The problem I have is that over the last year or so I have gone through two of the acer chargers for the a700, or to be more precise my son has. The first one that came with the tablet was an import with the tablet, so acer weren't keen to help in any way. The second one which I bought my son to take to Afghanistan with him has also packed up, possibly due to heat, dust or general misuse! I wont know for sure until he gets home. At £30 a pop, when available this is going to get expensive. My questions are as follows 1. does the wall charger output have only two cables coming from it, a 12v+ and - or if not do you know how it is wired. 2. I have a 12v 4a adapter from a monitor, would it be possible to cut the cable from the broken acer adapter and solder it to the 12v 4a adapter to use as a charger for the a700. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Angus66

Sep 4, 2012
FWIW, I can charge my A700 by plugging it into the USB 3.0 port on my PC. It doesn't charge as fast as the included AC charger, but it does charge...

oktober11

Jun 10, 2013
Is there a chance just to buy the connector somewhere? Aliexpress offers a charger for $20 coming from shenzhen Union but I've never tried to order something directly from China.

Last edited:

paradroid28

Dec 27, 2012
Charging with AV receiver

My Yamaha AV receiver has a 2.5 A USB connector this is working fine with A700

mrzottel

Feb 22, 2011
Dortmund
Apparently, they start selling car charges for the A700 too. Unfortunately I cannot post external links yet, but I found such chargers on ebay.de (german)

I can also confirm, that even a regular USB 2.0 port with 500ma current is able to charge the A700, given that it is turned off while charging. It took almost 24 hrs and stalled at about 60% charge, but it worked as an emergency solution while I was waiting for a replacement charger from Acer.

McFlypants

Mar 22, 2013
Xiaomi 12
FWIW, I can charge my A700 by plugging it into the USB 3.0 port on my PC. It doesn't charge as fast as the included AC charger, but it does charge...

I can confirm that! It does not show that it's loading (whether the orange LED nor in the menu), but it does very slowly! I think it's like 2% in 25 minutes!

My AC adapter doesn't work anymore, but the USB charging is gold for me!

artellan

Jul 21, 2014
I notice that there are specific A700/A510 chargers available on eBay now, for around $10 US (free shipping from China). Just search eBay for A700 charger and you'll see what I mean. These all seem to be 12V which is good, but I notice they are listed as 2A output, not the 1.5A output of the original Acer charger mentioned earlier in this thread.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether the higher current (24 watts instead of 18 watts of OEM charger) is okay or whether it might fry the A700 or shorten the battery life?

Another option is a 2.1A (5V) USB wall charger, available on monoprice for around $6-$9 depending on # of ports. These will be 10.5W instead of the original 18W, so not as fast. Not sure if the 10.5W will register as "charging" on the device -- probably not. However, there is no chance of frying the device, and the slower charging may be better for the battery.

Currently I'm charging with a very slow 850mA (5V) adapter that was from an old Motorola cell phone. My original A700 USB cable failed too (no visible wear but just stopped working) so I had to order some replace USB micro-B cables too!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I notice that there are specific A700/A510 chargers available on eBay now, for around $10 US (free shipping from China). Just search eBay for A700 charger and you'll see what I mean. These all seem to be 12V which is good, but I notice they are listed as 2A output, not the 1.5A output of the original Acer charger mentioned earlier in this thread.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether the higher current (24 watts instead of 18 watts of OEM charger) is okay or whether it might fry the A700 or shorten the battery life?

Another option is a 2.1A (5V) USB wall charger, available on monoprice for around $6-$9 depending on # of ports. These will be 10.5W instead of the original 18W, so not as fast. Not sure if the 10.5W will register as "charging" on the device -- probably not. However, there is no chance of frying the device, and the slower charging may be better for the battery.

Currently I'm charging with a very slow 850mA (5V) adapter that was from an old Motorola cell phone. My original A700 USB cable failed too (no visible wear but just stopped working) so I had to order some replace USB micro-B cables too!

I seriously doubt it will harm your device. I use a 2amp USB battery backup and haven't had any battery life issues (although it takes forever to charge which is normal), and used primarily for my phone and headset.

The problem with USB charging, and why it takes forever, is that the USB connector is quite different from the connector on the factory Acer charger. There are 2 extra pins that are used for charging for a total of 7 pins. So in reality, using a normal USB connector for charging will only allow somewhat of a "trickle" charge.

Why Acer insists on using proprietary charging plugs is beyond my comprehension. They mush have taken a page from Nokia's gamebook! :laugh::laugh:

But the main thing, is that if the connector is not a "7" pin, you will not have a fast charging time. Might take 2 days to charge it from dead.

4S4D_4SS4SSiN

Jun 10, 2014
Islamabad
Can anyone give me a link to the A700 charger? A site which is not out of stock for online delivery? Thanks in advance..

4S4D_4SS4SSiN
Sent From My Acer Iconia Tab A700 using the XDA app.

sirecram

Sep 6, 2014
I tried many USB chargesr (from my S3, from a nexus 7,...) and none are charging my A700 :crying: (I also tried to charge when the A700 is switched off)
only the charger provided with the tablet is working

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a different experience to your's.

I've tested USB charging with two different USB-chargers. One from Nokia (5V, 1200mA) and one from Samsung (genuine SGS2 charger). Both charge the A700 in stand by mode with about 4% per hour and up to 100% battery capacity. The android battery info does not say "charging" but it does!

When the A700 is switched on my 5V chargers are to weak to charge it.
    Confirmed

I charged my A700 with my HTC USB charger (HTC TC E250) in standby mode this night. It charged from 23% to 64% in about 10 hours. There was nothing at the A700 that showed it is charging.
    To be honest, 4% per hour is "nearly not charging".

This is known as trickle charge. The device might charge if the micro USB provides enought mili amps AND the device does not need much power when connected (i.e. screen off).
    I really doubt that the device will charge on USB when the screen is on, but on the other hand the device will definitly discharge slower when connected to USB.

I have a small calculation to explain things:
    The original charger operates with 12V at 1.5 Amps = 18 Watts (which is not USB compatible so they hat to change the jack to ensure it will not be pluged in to a normal USB device and damage it)
    If you would like to have the same Power over USB with its 5V max voltage you would need at least 3,6 Amps. Now that is far to much for those little pins on the micro USB jack and the currency would damage the pins when pluggin in and out.
    USB standard specification normally is 500mA = 0,5 Amps ( -> 2,5 Watts in comparison with 3,6 Amps 18Watts)
    So I think Acer has done a quite nice compromise.

Hope that clarifies matters a bit.
    On the A510, when charging the battery via USB, the icon does not indicate it.
    That must be the same on the A700.

But this was well known befor the device was available. This is necessary because of the huge power pack.

The original charger can provide 12V and 1,5 A. The USB specification is only 5V and 500 mA.

Since USB 2.0 version :
    "Several changes and increasing limits including allowing 1.5A on charging ports for unconfigured devices, allowing High Speed communication while having a current up to 1.5A and allowing a maximum current of 5A"

Source : wikipedia.org

Fortunately we are not limited to 500mAh, otherwise we could not quickly recharge our current smartphones :).