[Q] SuperSU OTA or Flash rom?

Search This thread

calvinv

Jan 20, 2014
Howdy

I've followed the instructions on rooting my Nexus 4 along with all subsequent updates from nexus4root.com
However, that site has been inactive since 26Nov, 2013.

So I'm running a rooted stock 4.4 KRT16S and have got the 4.4.2 OTA update sitting on my phone waiting to get installed.
Please help me with advice on one of these two options:

1] A link to a file and instructions where I can update from 4.4 rooted to 4.4.2 rooted.

or

2] Will enabling OTA survival on my SuperSU v1.86 and then tapping on the OTA 4.4.2 on my device work?

Much thanks in advance :)

Cal.

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Howdy

I've followed the instructions on rooting my Nexus 4 along with all subsequent updates from nexus4root.com
However, that site has been inactive since 26Nov, 2013.

So I'm running a rooted stock 4.4 KRT16S and have got the 4.4.2 OTA update sitting on my phone waiting to get installed.
Please help me with advice on one of these two options:

1] A link to a file and instructions where I can update from 4.4 rooted to 4.4.2 rooted.

or

2] Will enabling OTA survival on my SuperSU v1.86 and then tapping on the OTA 4.4.2 on my device work?

Much thanks in advance :)

Cal.

Downloaded the factory image of 4.4.2 and flash. Since you are rooted do a nandroid backup, a Titanium Backup, and backup your sdcard because all of it will be wiped. This is if you are determined to have the stock 4.4.2 this is the only thing I can think of to get there.

You can also try a custom rom as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

bladebuddy

Dec 31, 2011
Supersu paid version is the only one that has survival mode(or originally was) and that's not guaranteed.
Definitely won't survive a factory image flash.
I know it works OTA from 4.3 to 4.4 but haven't tried 4.4,1 to 4.4.2. Should work and if it doesn't it is easy enough to re root.
Any problems feel free to ask.

Phone : Nexus 4 /Rom : cataclysm / Kernel : Stock.

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you Berry.
Wouldn't that cause me to lose root?

You'll lose it but then just flash back supersu zip file and you're back rocking a rooted nexus. And btw, you don't need to flash factory image for 4.4.2. Just go to general section and look for a thread name OTA Helpdesk (use search option mate ;) ) and flash/sideload the OTA file in recovery (preferably stock recovery or you can use twrp but cwm is a no go for OTA). Then flash back supersu. This is the easiest way and you still keep all your apps/data intact.

Last edited:
Reactions: calvinv

calvinv

Jan 20, 2014
Sorry for the delay, if you don't quote, I won't get a notification. :(

My bad, though I learnt something new there :)
Another of your comments made me decide to take the alternative ROM plunge.

So (deep breath) I've just flashed Paranoid Android's most recent rom :)
Loving the multi tiles within quick settings feature.
For the first half hour I kept trying to figure out where PA's setting are. After quite a bit of searching online, I found out that since it's being newly developed on KitKat, there are no PA settings at this point. Hope I've got that right?

Much thanks
Cal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you Berry.
    Wouldn't that cause me to lose root?

You'll lose it but then just flash back supersu zip file and you're back rocking a rooted nexus. And btw, you don't need to flash factory image for 4.4.2. Just go to general section and look for a thread name OTA Helpdesk (use search option mate ;) ) and flash/sideload the OTA file in recovery (preferably stock recovery or you can use twrp but cwm is a no go for OTA). Then flash back supersu. This is the easiest way and you still keep all your apps/data intact.