[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the GSM & CDMA Desire with Unrevoked 3.21

Search This thread

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because the UnrEVOked post doesn't really give any instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the GSM & CDMA Desire.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE DESIRE

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
  3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
  4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
  7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
  8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
  9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
  11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
  12. Your driver should install.
  13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
  2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
  3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
  4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
  7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

Last edited:

DroidBois

Jul 1, 2010
Canberra
By God you guys are awesome. I was following the XDA rooting tutorials talking about downgrading hboot and goldcards before coming across this. So, thanks to your collective awesomeness, I can run this tonight and be on my merry way. First, I take it I can't backup my current stock 2.2 ROM before I have rooted it with a custom recovery image that gives me Nandroid backup capability? I'm a backup fanatic, and annoying cautious, so any tips here on before, during and after would be welcome. Or can I just go ahead, and if there are problems, I can easily restore my phone to factory state? And some links to information about the next step of installing ROMs would be welcome too, I have no idea where to turn after rooting my phone.

PS - I will donate $5 to you and the awesome Unrevoked crew, it's not much but I hope it helps and that my encouragement of others to do the same will help too.

dsymbol

May 2, 2009
Hi,
Can I root the Desire equipped with SLCD, Froyo 2.2 & HBOOT 0.93.
I'm sorry if this question is redundant
D

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
By God you guys are awesome. I was following the XDA rooting tutorials talking about downgrading hboot and goldcards before coming across this. So, thanks to your collective awesomeness, I can run this tonight and be on my merry way. First, I take it I can't backup my current stock 2.2 ROM before I have rooted it with a custom recovery image that gives me Nandroid backup capability? I'm a backup fanatic, and annoying cautious, so any tips here on before, during and after would be welcome. Or can I just go ahead, and if there are problems, I can easily restore my phone to factory state? And some links to information about the next step of installing ROMs would be welcome too, I have no idea where to turn after rooting my phone.

PS - I will donate $5 to you and the awesome Unrevoked crew, it's not much but I hope it helps and that my encouragement of others to do the same will help too.

Really appreciate the feedback bro :) This shouldn't affect any of your data. I can't say go forward and guarantee you that nothing will happen (there's always the chance that something goes wrong) but you shouldn't have a problem. If you're extremely nervous though, you could use appbrain to backup the apps you use(though it won't backup your data) and export your contacts to your sdcard if you aren't saving them to google. You could also buy MyBackup Pro which backs up a lot.

Click the image in my sig for The Droid Demos. There are a few tutorials you can check out for after you've rooted. More will be coming every week :)
Feel free to ask any questions man. Good luck!

Hi,
D

You shouldn't have any troubles.

iamhyoga

Jul 23, 2010
Hi,
Can i use this with froyo 2.2 OTA official. HBOOT 0.92.0001
or i still need to downgrade to HBOOT 0.80 ?

thanks

dsymbol

May 2, 2009
WooHoo!!!!! my phone is successfully rooted.

Thank you.

P.S. I skipped step 3.

2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.

Reactions: sheoran

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Reactions: abbeymill

Alsajosora

Jun 20, 2009
Hmmm,
I have followed the above guide to the letter and it seems to go throught the motions but ends on an
"internal error couldn't find misc"
error message......
I am running a stock O2 Froyo Desire with HBoot .93.......Any ideas?

chrisnic0

Sep 22, 2010
Hi guys,

1st time poster - be gentle!

Ive got a Desire with Froyo 2.2 OTA update and Hboot 0.93.

I have no option for hboot only

Fastboot
Recovery
Clear Storage
Simlock

Any ideas? Sorry im prob doing it wrong

Reactions: unze

retr0sic

Aug 26, 2009
Hi guys,

1st time poster - be gentle!

Ive got a Desire with Froyo 2.2 OTA update and Hboot 0.93.

I have no option for hboot only

Fastboot
Recovery
Clear Storage
Simlock

Any ideas? Sorry im prob doing it wrong

No you're not doing it wrong ^^ I got the same "issue" before i noticed that it activated HBOOT USB PLUG just by inserting the usb cable when in bootloader . After that i just installed the unrevoked usb driver , started my phone and ran unrevoked and it did magic on my phone rooting it in just a minute.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: MoHi96

pina_

Mar 5, 2010
I'm already rooted, but will unrevoked also have a permanent recovery installed on your device? I'm still using fake flash now.

baadsha

Jun 22, 2006
No you're not doing it wrong ^^ I got the same "issue" before i noticed that it activated HBOOT USB PLUG just by inserting the usb cable when in bootloader . After that i just installed the unrevoked usb driver , started my phone and ran unrevoked and it did magic on my phone rooting it in just a minute.

Hope this helps.

hi
unrevoked is not detecting my phone. i have it connected as charge only and also have usb debugging selected.
running win 7. any advice or help?

TH1882FC

Apr 8, 2010
I'm also struggling to get Unrevoked to find my phone, infact when i plug the phone in i get an installer pop up for ADB?

And when i look under device manager next to other devices android bootloader interface is replaced with this:

1zydb7o.jpg

I've tried restarting unrevoked but with no success? (i'm running XP)

Peelypeel

Jul 27, 2010
Can anyone confirm?

Will this work on HBOOT 0.93.0001 and radio 5.09.05.20_2

?

thanks

EDIT: confirmed myself, it works flawlessly. And I loved the portal reference during the rooting process, made me feel like a king.

Last edited:

pjthys

Dec 8, 2007
Same with me.
Can install the driver fine under WinXP (SP3).
In HBoot mode, there is an Android Bootloader Interface under Android Phone.
However when I reboot the Phone Windows XP finds a new device, the abovementioned ADB device and tries to install drivers for it. The drivers cannot be found, even manually browsing to the Android USB Driver folder does not help. I end up with the yellow acclamation mark, and the reflash utility waiting for the phone to be connected.
HBoot 0.93
Android 2.2
Software version desire 2.10.405.2
:(

@djR3Z

Thx, that was the solution. Installed HTC-sync. First 4 packages were installed (drivers and stuff) Aborted when the actual HTC-sync.msi started installing. Now unrEVOked works like a charm :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wilbur

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because the UnrEVOked post doesn't really give any instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the GSM & CDMA Desire.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE DESIRE

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
    5. Open Device Manager.
    6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
    7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
    8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
    9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
    10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
    11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
    12. Your driver should install.
    13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
    2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
    3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
    4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
    5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
    6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
    7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

Really appreciate the feedback bro :) This shouldn't affect any of your data. I can't say go forward and guarantee you that nothing will happen (there's always the chance that something goes wrong) but you shouldn't have a problem. If you're extremely nervous though, you could use appbrain to backup the apps you use(though it won't backup your data) and export your contacts to your sdcard if you aren't saving them to google. You could also buy MyBackup Pro which backs up a lot.

Click the image in my sig for The Droid Demos. There are a few tutorials you can check out for after you've rooted. More will be coming every week :)
    Feel free to ask any questions man. Good luck!

Hi,
    D

You shouldn't have any troubles.
    For a htc desire 2.3?

Galaxy S2 Black:
    Rom: Armageddon 4.1.2
    Kernel: Siyah 6.0.4 Beta

Same as the reply above. Use revolutionary.

READING THIS SHOULD HELP ROOTING ALL BRAVO / DESIRE MODELS

The initial Guide in the OT should be updated, since it doesn't work for some branded models and also for handsets with PVT4.

PVT4 devices should load a custom image in Urevoked (RA Recovery)

See: HERE

Branded devices might need a goldcard before rooting!
    See: HERE

In general you can follow this guide by SirHades:

1. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
    2. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
    3. Open Device Manager.
    4. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
    5. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
    6. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
    7. Click on Browse my computer for Unrevoked driver software.
    8. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
    9. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
    10. Your driver should install.
    11. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.
    12. Download and Install latest HTC Sync
    13. From the control panel, remove program HTC Sync (Leave "HTC BMP Driver" and HTC Driver Installer)
    14. Plug your Desire and select Charge only. Let Windows install the drivers if it has to.
    15. Run Unrevoked3

click "THANKS" if you find this post useful