[Q] Wireless Tether

Search This thread

wheelerr

Nov 21, 2010
Hello,

I am brand new to the forums. I have done some poking around but I want to have a threat dedicated to this as Im going to assume a lot of people are going to have this problem.

I just bought my gtablet about 2 hours ago. I havent been able to root it or install any roms yet because I bought it in chicago and I am on my way back home to michigan right now as I type this.

I am trying to see if anyone knows how to get wireless tether to work on the gtablet. I have a rooted incredible running cyanogen 6.0.2 w/ wireless tether. I am connected to my phone right now as I type this on my netbook. I cant get my gtab to see my wireless tether...any ideas or things to try. I cant be the only one thats run into issues.

Secondly, maybe this needs its own thread. I was going to try doing it via bluetooth with the bluetooth sync. Both devices see eachother.....both devices request a pair confirmation wiht the same key...but both are saying paired not connected. Any ideas why this is? I sync with other BT devices from my INC just fine.

So, wireless tether...wont work....works from other devices but not my gtab to my incredible...bluetooth wont connect.

I plan on rooting my gtab tonight when i get home and settled in. Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks!

Crimton

Apr 30, 2010
Nashville
Hello,

I am brand new to the forums. I have done some poking around but I want to have a threat dedicated to this as Im going to assume a lot of people are going to have this problem.

I just bought my gtablet about 2 hours ago. I havent been able to root it or install any roms yet because I bought it in chicago and I am on my way back home to michigan right now as I type this.

I am trying to see if anyone knows how to get wireless tether to work on the gtablet. I have a rooted incredible running cyanogen 6.0.2 w/ wireless tether. I am connected to my phone right now as I type this on my netbook. I cant get my gtab to see my wireless tether...any ideas or things to try. I cant be the only one thats run into issues.

Secondly, maybe this needs its own thread. I was going to try doing it via bluetooth with the bluetooth sync. Both devices see eachother.....both devices request a pair confirmation wiht the same key...but both are saying paired not connected. Any ideas why this is? I sync with other BT devices from my INC just fine.

So, wireless tether...wont work....works from other devices but not my gtab to my incredible...bluetooth wont connect.

I plan on rooting my gtab tonight when i get home and settled in. Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks!

i use wireless tether for my gtablet from my rooted incredible but i have heard others say they cannot get it to work. i am using the wireless tether that is installed on redemptive revolution 2.1.2

wlawyer

Oct 7, 2007
Your problem is what i ran into, ad-hoc networks vs infastructure. I am able to switch my gtablet back and forth using the information i found here: h ttp://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/4505-i-have-infrastructure-adhoc-working-same-time-do-you-want-look-here.html

Its not just layed out perfectly for you but the main idea is to edit wpa_supplicant.conf to look for ad-hoc. The link has a apk that lets you go from your current settings to a tethered setting then back again. The link is the only reason I figured it out and is the easiest way i found so far. Sorry I dont have time to lay out a straight forward guide for the gtablet right now but being I novice I was able to get it using the link.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
hmm, mine works with no modifications.

Not mine, but I will hold off with any more mods until a new TnT rom is released. Even with Titanium, getting the device back to par is getting old. Not even fooling with the openGL patch, since my luck will be boot loops and a forced reset of the rom.

wlawyer

Oct 7, 2007
hmm, mine works with no modifications.

Some phones can tether using infrastructure setup but mine (droid1) and many others can only create ad-hoc networks to tether. From what I have read android can only connect to wireless infrastructure not ad-hoc without going through the steps in the link. I may be way off on this and would love to be wrong since the hack is kind of a pain to implement but its the only thing that has worked for me.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Wifi tether working for me now! :)

Apparently the version I had and the one in the market are not a fit for my device. A kind soul from a "rival" land pointed me to a version that does work.

Thanks! :)

I appreciate wifi tether (faster than expected), but we would save some serious battery power for both devices if USB tether was available :)

wlawyer

Oct 7, 2007
Wifi tether working for me now! :)

Apparently the version I had and the one in the market are not a fit for my device. A kind soul from a "rival" land pointed me to a version that does work.

Thanks! :)

I appreciate wifi tether (faster than expected), but we would save some serious battery power for both devices if USB tether was available :)

what phone and app do you have if you dont mind me asking, I have tried several tethering apps with my droid 1 and haven't had any luck.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
what phone and app do you have if you dont mind me asking, I have tried several tethering apps with my droid 1 and haven't had any luck.

Sent a PM, since not sure I can link it here.

Phone is the Incredible.

UPDATE:

The wifitether app worked fine with TNT 1.03, but does not work with Tnt 2.0- device not seen, just like BEFORE I got this app. This issue is getting old quickly.

UPDATE 2:

Now it works... not understanding this at all. I need beer.

Last edited:

mmracing

Nov 16, 2010
DoDa
I have searched these forums and the net but can not find an easy solution to get the adhoc wifi of the Droid 1 to be seen by the Gtablet. In my searching I found where file wpa_supplicant.conf was to be edited and it fixed the problem (it was very involved). But I remember reading some place that had the file edited that you could just back up the original and copy the new over. Does anyone know where this updated file might be or a fix for someone like me that does not feel comfortable editing files?

I'll admit it... I'm looking for a noob way to fix this problem. :)

iamsavedme30

Nov 13, 2010
Columbus
Hey there need help. I have a friend that just rooted his phone and is using wireless tether, but His computer won't recognise the phone as WiFi. What should he check for or fix?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

tnt2gamer

Nov 21, 2010
I have searched these forums and the net but can not find an easy solution to get the adhoc wifi of the Droid 1 to be seen by the Gtablet. In my searching I found where file wpa_supplicant.conf was to be edited and it fixed the problem (it was very involved).

I have tried everything I have read, and I still can not get my G Tablet to see my Droid 1. I have tried both Barnacle WiFi Tether and Wireless Tether. :( Both my G Tablet and my Droid 1 are rooted. My iPod Touch works with my Droid 1, so I don't think the Droid is the problem.

mmracing

Nov 16, 2010
DoDa
I have tried everything I have read, and I still can not get my G Tablet to see my Droid 1. I have tried both Barnacle WiFi Tether and Wireless Tether. :( Both my G Tablet and my Droid 1 are rooted. My iPod Touch works with my Droid 1, so I don't think the Droid is the problem.

There has to be a way to do it. I thought I read somewhere how to do it but I just can't find it. I have had my Gtablet from the day they went on sale at Sears and have looked at 1000's of post then I decided it was time to root both devices to use the wifi... only to find out the adhoc from the Droid 1 wouldn't work. BAH!

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate
There has to be a way to do it. I thought I read somewhere how to do it but I just can't find it. I have had my Gtablet from the day they went on sale at Sears and have looked at 1000's of post then I decided it was time to root both devices to use the wifi... only to find out the adhoc from the Droid 1 wouldn't work. BAH!

It does work, but not sure it does on all flavors of firmware as I had it set up just not sure which firmware I was testing on at the time... I did have problems with Original TNT stock firmware... same files I was trying worked on not sure whether early CM or Ztab... but on original TNT it looked like a wpa_supplicant bug as was definitiely seeing the conf file but wouldn't find anything with the scan... so came back with error like the original tablet I had to return did for any Infrastructure scan... I'm bouncing between both my Gtabs running diff firmware on each so easy to get confused at times... What version are you running and I'll try to give it a go tomorrow...

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
Stock GTab, rooted with market....

Flashed with clockworkmod from one of the threads here a file called wpa_adhoc-signed.zip and it worked.
Tethered to my Droid 1 to test...

I see my infrastructure AP and my adhoc "AP" but with a (*) in front of the name.

added the file I used..

Sent from my UPC300-2.2 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wpa_adhoc-signed.zip
    131 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Reactions: DivineMelody

tnt2gamer

Nov 21, 2010
What version are you running and I'll try to give it a go tomorrow...

I am also running the original G Tablet firmware, with the TNT 2967 update that was pushed to it on 22-Nov-2010.

UPDATE: I realized last night that my files were not being overwritten with the modified ones, even though I was telling Root Explorer to replace the existing ones. I will delete the old wpa_supplicant.conf file before copying the modified version next time, to see if it makes a difference. Right now I am restoring everything that I had on the GTab little by little after frying my wifi settings last night. I couldn't get it working, so I did a factory reset and lost everything.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Yep. That was my problem. My modified wpa_supplicant.conf file was not replacing the original one. Once I deleted the old one manually, and copied the modified one in its place, it worked. I can now tether to my original Motorola Droid. I am using a program called AdhocAble to switch easily between two different wpa_supplicant.conf files (one for adhoc, and another for infrastructure).

MORE INFO: The problem I am having now is that my wireless quits working after each reboot. I have to change the file permissions on wpa_supplicant.conf to allow read-write for Other. Once I do this, the wireless starts working again. I even tried changing onwership of the wpa_supplicant.conf file to system.wifi, but that stopped AdhocAble from being able to change between adhoc and normal modes. I will probably try that patched supplicant binary soon.

FINAL UPDATE: Wow. wpa_adhoc-signed.zip worked for me, too. My Droid 1 is showing up with an asterisk beside it in my wifi list. This is the best fix yet. Yahoo! Thanks tcrews for posting this one. :D

Last edited:

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate

Flashed with clockworkmod from one of the threads here a file called wpa_adhoc-signed.zip and it worked.

I see my infrastructure AP and my adhoc "AP" but with a (*) in front of the name.

THANX... I'll give this a try as after having gone through this on multiple tablets multiple times this smelled of a wpa_supplicant bug on TNT!

mmracing

Nov 16, 2010
DoDa
Rooted stock Gtablet firmware, with the TNT 2967 update that was pushed to it on 22-Nov-2010.

I have not tried any different ROMs.

rodzero

Jun 9, 2009
South Louisiana

added the file I used..

+1 for this post. major thanks to the poster. i was having problems with my gtab seeing my droid1 when running wireless tether, and this did the trick. for reference, currently using tnt 2.0.2 (supplemental applied to tnt 2.0.0). now ill be able to take this thing with me on the road this weekend and enjoy it. thanks again!

ps, the file flashed will not show in this quote, so scroll up to that post and grab it if you are in the same boat i was in.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

added the file I used..

Hi,

i am a noob here. how exactly do you apply the DNS server to the Gtab? i manually set the static IP, but still no internet connection with WMWifiRouter.

i have a winmo device which can run android, but once in a while, i still need to use WM6.5.

thank you in advance
    Connect to your WMWifiRouter with your laptop, if it is Windows XP go to network connections right click on your wireless connection left click on status. In the status window click on the support tab then click on details. The default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS Servers are all of the settings you will use for your static ip settings on your Gtab. My subnet that gets assigned on my WMWifiRouter is 192.168.3.0 class C subnet 255.255.255.0 My default gateway is 192.168.3.1 So I assign my Gtab an IP address of 192.168.3.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.3.1 and DNS servers are the two I retrieved earlier. Once static setup is done everything works perfect. I am running TNT Lite 2.2