Which of the Android upgrades is a more significant milestone?

Search This thread

ROMFlasherAce

Jan 26, 2012
Which of the Android upgrades is the most significant milestone, in ur opinion??

1.0 to 1.5
1.5 to 1.6
1.6 to 2.1
2.1 to 2.2
2.2 to 2.3
2.3 to 4.0

Personally I think that 2.1 to 2.2 is more significant, huge speed increase and supports for many other things such as Flash, what do u think??

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App

Last edited:

mpkossen

Oct 5, 2011
I'd have to say 2.3 to 4.0. Android has really "grown up" during that period and it finally shows an actual red line for the future of Android.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

ROMFlasherAce

Jan 26, 2012
Yes ur right, but i still think that 2.1 to 2.2 is a huge step in the development history, even greater than 2.3 to 4.0 as 2.2 featured something that iPhone cannot match, and it is the first time for that

Livewings

Mar 31, 2009
Singapore
Which of the Android upgrades is the most significant milestone, in ur opinion??

1.0 to 1.5
1.5 to 1.6
1.6 to 2.1
2.1 to 2.2
2.2 to 2.3
2.3 to 4.0

Personally I think that 2.1 to 2.2 is more significant, huge speed increase and supports for many other things such as Flash, what do u think??

1.6 to 2.1.
When Android became bearable. :D

korny647

Mar 14, 2012
Portland OR
I think definitely 2.3- 4.0.
Because 4.0 is going to be the tip of the iceberg to what could be coming in 4.X.X.

Sent from my G2X.
Rocking stock CM 7.2.0-RC1

molesarecoming

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2012
Berlin
pre-4.0 android for me was something that i would use but not care too much about, it carried out its mule-job on my phone and no more. disliked its stitchy-patchy implementation and amateurish design. it sure had all the features that ics has, but it was carelessly stuffed into the phone, disregarding its specifics. then ics came and they've made it with so much love for detail, it was tailor fit to run on my phone, it almost hovered above the amoled screen it was conceived for. the patchyness was gone, whereever i went it felt like one cast, the design was thought-through, minimalistic, elegant and sleek. that's when i started to care about android. as always, the sum is more than it's parts. even bada has features but to bring it all together, hardware, software, modern design, usability - it's an achievement for sure. ---only thing that sucks, it was ignored by the manufacturers. they either skipped it or destroyed it by disfiguration.

Last edited:

ROFLkopter

Mar 15, 2012
Nottinghamshire
My first Android phone ran Eclair. It was not what I expected it to be because I'd heard brilliant things about it. Updated it to Froyo as soon as I could and found it much better. I'm running Gingerbread at minute, but think 2.1 to 2.2 is the biggest milestone so far. My mind will probably change when I have an ICS phone though...

Sent from my GT-S5360 using XDA

sergeant_bob

Apr 26, 2011
Ghent
My first android was a 1.5 so, then the step to 2.1 was big. but the change to 4.0 now with updates is even bigger. And i like it even more, its just great !

kekkle

Nov 8, 2009
1.6 to 2.1 by far. It became the Android we know today. Sure 4.0 is also amazing, but 2.1 was the real game changer.

Caticorn

Oct 6, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Surely everyone saying 2.1 is meaning 2.2? 2.1 was a bugfix and API tweak update.

For me, either 1.5 or 2.2.

1.5 was when Android truly got its own feel. It was smoother than WinMo devices, could do more than the iphone and was more customizable than either. The homescreen had widgets, still a hallmark function of Android and revamped the homescreen from a mere app launcher to a respectable desktop environment where you could access data and manipulate settings.

2.2 was remarkable because of insane speed increases and breaking Android out of its sharp niche for geeks.

Yes ur right, but i still think that 2.1 to 2.2 is a huge step in the development history, even greater than 2.3 to 4.0 as 2.2 featured something that iPhone cannot match, and it is the first time for that

Android's history of beating iOS to features started far before 2.2. 1.0 launched with digital compass and GPS support, MMS, wallpapers and centralized notifications, 1.5 added widgets, video recording, and copy and paste, 1.6 added voice-text/text-voice features unprecedented at the time and 2.0 had live wallpapers. The iPhone didn't have any of these at the respective times of their releases.

ROMFlasherAce

Jan 26, 2012
Surely everyone saying 2.1 is meaning 2.2? 2.1 was a bugfix and API tweak update.

For me, either 1.5 or 2.2.

1.5 was when Android truly got its own feel. It was smoother than WinMo devices, could do more than the iphone and was more customizable than either. The homescreen had widgets, still a hallmark function of Android and revamped the homescreen from a mere app launcher to a respectable desktop environment where you could access data and manipulate settings.

2.2 was remarkable because of insane speed increases and breaking Android out of its sharp niche for geeks.

Android's history of beating iOS to features started far before 2.2. 1.0 launched with digital compass and GPS support, MMS, wallpapers and centralized notifications, 1.5 added widgets, video recording, and copy and paste, 1.6 added voice-text/text-voice features unprecedented at the time and 2.0 had live wallpapers. The iPhone didn't have any of these at the respective times of their releases.

Sorry my mistake :p

Punjabi23

Feb 14, 2011
Im gonna have to say from 2.1 to 2.2. That introduced flash. 2.3 to 4.0 is nice, but it seems that its mostly visual changes for the most part.

Top Liked Posts