Corrupted Nandroid Backups copied back from PC

Search This thread

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Does anyone copy their nandroids back and forth to the computer?
I always have to repair the md5 of a nandroid if I copy it back over from the computer. I think the pc is 'converting' something which is corrupting the stored backup during the transfer. (However, with the replaced/repaired checksum, the backups restore and perform just fine)
Adb fixes me up but I'm just curious if the pc transfer is the root of the problem because I can transfer CWM backups between internal/external SD without any issues.

Edit: Occurs on both XP and Windows 7 and also tried different cables.

Last edited:

DataHawg

Aug 26, 2010
East Seattle
I always have to repair the md5 of a nandroid if I copy it back over from the computer. I think the pc is 'converting' something which is corrupting the stored backup during the transfer. (However, with the replaced/repaired checksum, the backups restore and perform just fine)
Adb fixes me up but I'm just curious if the pc transfer is the root of the problem because I can transfer CWM backups between internal/external SD without any issues.

Interesting. It's been a long time since I have done this but I don't recall having any problems with the checksum. How did you repair the MD5 checksum with adb? Did you generate a new valid one and push it into the nandroid file?

leaderbuilder

I've noticed that on some too!
What I found is I needed to copy the entire backup folder from the SD card 'into' another folder on the PC and then copy that original folder back. I just have a E4GTbackup folder with dates and ROM names with the sd folder inside them. ie. :\E4GTbackup\Blazer4\04012012\sdcard
My reasoning when file/folders are renamed the name of the file won't affect the checksum, but custom recovery invokes the nandroid-mobile.sh script AND the nandroid-mobile.sh script's ability to actually identify your Nandroid backup files will/maybe the issue.
Even then sometimes (not as often as I used to though) I do have to regenerate the hash.
As for generating a new hash you've obviously got that down but I noticed that many don't know how. I use the terminal emulator app on the device itself. But there are actually applications for novice users that can be had for free or nominal cost available in the android market that can check and/or verify md5 sums. A little research for those not understanding that is a good thing.
Maybe someone else has an idea.

Reactions: DataHawg

tdunham

Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Interesting. It's been a long time since I have done this but I don't recall having any problems with the checksum. How did you repair the MD5 checksum with adb? Did you generate a new valid one and push it into the nandroid file?
Delete the original nandroid.md5 with adb and generate a new one.
Commandlines go something like this:
adb shell
cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2012-03-30-06.39.41
rm nandroid.md5
md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

tdunham

Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
What I found is I needed to copy the entire backup folder from the SD card 'into' another folder on the PC and then copy that original folder back. I just have a E4GTbackup folder with dates and ROM names with the sd folder inside them. ie. :\E4GTbackup\Blazer4\04012012\sdcard
I never rename, just copy to a buried folder somewhere. But I do mirror data to another hard drive because I have so much. I'll have to try leaving it virgin somewhere else and maybe copy it right back so see if it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Delete the original nandroid.md5 with adb and generate a new one.
    Commandlines go something like this:
    adb shell
    cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2012-03-30-06.39.41
    rm nandroid.md5
    md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

My reasoning when file/folders are renamed the name of the file won't affect the checksum, but custom recovery invokes the nandroid-mobile.sh script AND the nandroid-mobile.sh script's ability to actually identify your Nandroid backup files will/maybe the issue.
    Even then sometimes (not as often as I used to though) I do have to regenerate the hash.
    As for generating a new hash you've obviously got that down but I noticed that many don't know how. I use the terminal emulator app on the device itself. But there are actually applications for novice users that can be had for free or nominal cost available in the android market that can check and/or verify md5 sums. A little research for those not understanding that is a good thing.
    Maybe someone else has an idea.