Review of Anker Astro 3 (2nd gen) 12000 mAh external battery w/pics!!!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of Anker Astro 3 (new 2nd gen) 12000 mAh external battery: http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7904-BA

*** The Review of the Updated version was posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51836263&postcount=62

Yes, another external battery. No, this one is like nothing I have ever tested from Anker or anybody else. It's not a surprise Anker became one of my favorite companies to review new products from because they are constantly introducing something new and/or improved. That is the only way to stay on top of the game and to earn the top rating of your customers.

First of all, even with it's 12000 mAh capacity, this new 2nd gen Astro shrank up in size down to 110 mm x 83 mm x 26 mm which fits very comfortably and feels very nice with its soft touch rubbery finish in your hand. At close to 10 oz in weight you will feel it for sure in your pocket, although it's slick design is very portable and with included mesh pouch is easy to carry around in your bag/purse/backpack or even pants pocket, as long as you are not wearing skinny jeans :) In contrast to most of the today's external batteries with dual output, Astro 3 comes with 3 independent full size usb outputs that deliver a whooping 4A of combined current. I checked it by charging Note 2, S4, and Nexus 7 simultaneously and was able to confirm that right on a dot. N2 was charging at about 2A, S4 at about 1A, and N7 at about 1A as well. I was actually timing and monitoring the percentage of battery change, not just relying on Current Charge app. These 3 usb charging outputs are actually partitioned into one Smart output (intended for Apple devices and other android devices) and two Universal outputs which are specifically designed to charge Android devices at maximum speed. There is some custom circuit which determines max speed and optimizes output correspondingly. I also noticed the safety nature of this circuit prevented me from charging both N2 and S4 at 2A each from Universal outputs where N2 was charging at 2A and S4 at 1A, leaving 1A for Smart output, thus confirming it's not a bulk current sharing between all 3 ports. The input port, micro-usb, for charging Astor 3 is actually a fast 1.5A input which is great since it charges this external battery at 1.5x times faster rate.

While you charging the battery itself or using to charge other devices, another huge improvement in the design is a circular 10-segment indicator with granularity of 10%. You no longer have to rely on a typical 4-segment led. This one will give you a more precise reading, although it might take you a little while to get used to figuring out on a spot the exact percentage by counting segments before light times out. Once the light turns off, it's a clean surface design with no leds or buttons. So how do you turn it on or verify led count? Yet another cool innovation, just do a shake of the battery and indicator circle turns on to reveal number of active segments. I really like that motion activated switch, makes it very unique. But trust me, it's not the most unique part of this new Astro 3 design. As I mentioned in a number of my previous reviews, the labeled capacity of the battery is not what you actually get. It's the capacity of the cells inside of external battery when it has to be converted to 5V usb interface at the output and then back from 5V to 3.7V inside of the phone. During this conversion ALL external batteries loose anywhere between 30%-35% of its capacity. Well, this new 2nd gen Astro 3 is optimized to a much higher efficiency. I have tested it and can confirm it provides the actual charging capacity of 10,044 mAh, which means a loss of only 16%!!! Basically, the internal battery circuit has been optimized to provide a more efficient output. I have tested a lot of external batteries, and this is the first one I have seen at such high efficiency.

Overall, I was very impressed with a design and features of this battery, especially with how efficient it's output. Currently offered for $49.99 on Amazon its a great value where it provides the actual capacity output equal to other more expensive batteries labeled at around 14000 mAh. With a high output efficiency, 4A of total combined charging current, triple output, and motion activated 10-segment led indicator - I highly recommend it!

Here are the pictures.

anker_astro3-2-01_zps4f99c7f2.jpg

anker_astro3-2-02_zpsdfbdbd50.jpg

anker_astro3-2-03_zpsf9700e68.jpg

anker_astro3-2-04_zps367e9ca2.jpg

anker_astro3-2-05_zps85df6a9a.jpg

anker_astro3-2-06_zps4b28592c.jpg

anker_astro3-2-07_zps48983dfb.jpg

anker_astro3-2-08_zpsf01e1039.jpg

anker_astro3-2-09_zpseda528d9.jpg

anker_astro3-2-10_zpsc97007d0.jpg

anker_astro3-2-11_zpsaef5af26.jpg

anker_astro3-2-12_zpsb00e58a1.jpg

anker_astro3-2-13_zpsdd9ee45b.jpg

anker_astro3-2-14_zps7ea6e5dc.jpg

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Someone just pointed out to me Anker has back 2 school sale, with Astro 3 now for $45.99. Here is a link: http://www.ianker.com/adpage.php?act=us

I also been asked if Smart port will charge iPad 4 at full 2.4A speed. I'm checking into this and will post an update as soon as I find out.

Reactions: Explore3

Ev0d3vil

Aug 11, 2012
I got an anker too, but the e4. Seems like i can only reach 1.8A when i'm using the cable provided by Anker and not the Sammy OEM cable..

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I got an anker too, but the e4. Seems like i can only reach 1.8A when i'm using the cable provided by Anker and not the Sammy OEM cable..

If you referring to 1.8A per Galaxy Charging Current app, that's an approximation anyway. Unless if you are rooted and using something else where in an identical setup where you exchange cables and see 1.8A in one case and 2.0A in another case?

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Looks great. I would buy it in a second, if it was not so thick. I would not mind a longer wider power bank. A power bank that was 5.7 *4.5*.6 inches would have roughly the same volume as the 2nd generation Astro 3. In other words, the same thickness as the Astro 3E.

PS The volume of the Astro 3E is 9.41 versus the Astro 2nd generation at 14.52. The power bank increased in size more than in power. The Astro 2nd generation is 54 percent larger.

Last edited:

Ev0d3vil

Aug 11, 2012
What cable are you using for the note 2? Now i'm not getting the 1800mah charge with the anker e4. Ugh.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Looks great. I would buy it in a second, if it was not so thick. I would not mind a longer wider power bank. A power bank that was 5.7 *4.5*.6 inches would have roughly the same volume as the 2nd generation Astro 3. In other words, the same thickness as the Astro 3E.

PS The volume of the Astro 3E is 9.41 versus the Astro 2nd generation at 14.52. The power bank increased in size more than in power. The Astro 2nd generation is 54 percent larger.

But it also increase in capacity and efficiency, so you can also look at it as volume per capacity ;) E3 probably had a capacity of around <7k mAh (after 30% de-rating efficiency). With Astro3 you start with 12000 mAh versus 10000 mAh and have at least 80% average efficiency, plus get 3 outputs with one being smart output used for any iCrap including 2.4A iPad 4 (which btw is confirmed). Also, 10% indicator is way cooler. Just imho, a bit of thickness increase is OK because length is a deal breaker for pocket-ability. And yeah, I'm talking about batteries :D

If you want absolutely the slimmest possible battery, checkout review of Astro Slim3 6000 mAh I just posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388894 - 12mm in thickness, that is insane!!! and you get 80% efficiency as well with a built in micro-usb cable.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Can't buy this thing on Amazon as it seems Anker for whatever reason has had all their products yanked. Anker sells it on Ebay in their Ebay Anker Store as well .....but they want $199.96 for it! They say it's that high because stock is low. Seems strange to me. I would love to know what is up between Anker and Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-Astro..._Cell_Phone_PDA_Batteries&hash=item4d0f5d413d

I asked them the same question. Apparently something got messed up with US listing of all of their products and they are working with Amazon to fix it. I had someone from Canada asking me questions about Anker, and I see all of their products are listed fine on Amazon in Canada, UK, Germany, and everywhere else internationally. Something got messed up with US listing and I confirmed with Anker they are working as soon as they can with Amazon to fix it.

Old MuckenMire

Feb 9, 2010
I asked them the same question. Apparently something got messed up with US listing of all of their products and they are working with Amazon to fix it. I had someone from Canada asking me questions about Anker, and I see all of their products are listed fine on Amazon in Canada, UK, Germany, and everywhere else internationally. Something got messed up with US listing and I confirmed with Anker they are working as soon as they can with Amazon to fix it.

Just seems strange to me...Amazon is always very good about fixing technical issues and this has been going on for days. In any event none of that justifies charging 200 bucks for the Astro 3 on their Ebay store....low stock or not.

I've never had anything but good experiences with Anker, FWIW.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Just seems strange to me...Amazon is always very good about fixing technical issues and this has been going on for days. In any event none of that justifies charging 200 bucks for the Astro 3 on their Ebay store....low stock or not.

I've never had anything but good experiences with Anker, FWIW.

I agree! But I actually seen someone else do that before. I forgot which product it was, but we had a reply here on XDA to one of the posts jocking they misplaced a decimal point. Then, someone else posted later they just jacked up the price to keep the listing "alive" while they were out of stock and obviously nobody would buy it for the price 100x higher than original. I guess just another trick...

Old MuckenMire

Feb 9, 2010
I agree! But I actually seen someone else do that before. I forgot which product it was, but we had a reply here on XDA to one of the posts jocking they misplaced a decimal point. Then, someone else posted later they just jacked up the price to keep the listing "alive" while they were out of stock and obviously nobody would buy it for the price 100x higher than original. I guess just another trick...

All I know for sure is that I would like to order this damn thing already.:) Have not been able to order anything from Anker thru Amazon for almost a week now.:(

barflybzzz

Mar 25, 2013
Bushwood Country Club

I gotta say, I'm getting a little worried about this Amazon "problem" . . . we're heading into one week with no Anker products on Amazon and I just don't see a messed-up listing taking this long to remedy. I finally got through to customer service today because I need a bluetooth speaker and I wanted to pick up their BT 4.0 speaker before I head on vacation. They have no idea how long this is going to last and the CSR I spoke to said, in so many words, that I might want to purchase my speaker elsewhere. Understand, I informed her I was under a time constraint so that obviously affected her response, but Anker is getting excoriated on their FB page. I hope everything is rectified soon, because my experience with this company has been spectacular.

CocheseUGA

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the review. I'm torn between trying to wait for this one to become available again or to bite the bullet and order the old 3 for $5 more.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Thanks for the review. I'm torn between trying to wait for this one to become available again or to bite the bullet and order the old 3 for $5 more.

First of all, I just saw that all the Anker products are back online on Amazon!

But, I also see that Astro 3 (2nd gen) is on back order due to demand. In my opinion, wait until its available. Why buy old technology when you can get unit with a higher capacity, more USB outputs, better efficiency, and new indicator?

... UPDATE... It is sold out on US Amazon, but should be back in stock in 1 week.

In general, and this doesn't refer just to Anker but any other product/vendor I have reviewed. If anybody has a question for a vendor and can't get an answer right away - let me know because I receive review samples directly from their marketing department and can get in touch quicker to get you an answer.

Last edited:

Ev0d3vil

Aug 11, 2012
Hi, i'm getting a really slow charge with the Anker battery. Are you rooted and flashed with Perseus? I can't seem to get a 1.8A charge on any power bank. Stock here btw.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi, i'm getting a really slow charge with the Anker battery. Are you rooted and flashed with Perseus? I can't seem to get a 1.8A charge on any power bank. Stock here btw.

Which battery and what usb cable are you using? I'm all stock, not rooted. Either Anker or any other brand I have tested, if they rate output to 2 - I always see 1.8A charging and can confirm it by timing and watching % charge. But I do use either oem usb cable or usb cable from my ue Boom or monoprice cables. No matter how great your battery, the cable will be your bottleneck if its not true 2A cable. Plus I have tested and can confirm that with a number of external batteries if you are charging from "apple" designated port or port rated at 1A - they put some current limiting to keep it capped.

Reactions: Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

Aug 11, 2012
Which battery and what usb cable are you using? I'm all stock, not rooted. Either Anker or any other brand I have tested, if they rate output to 2 - I always see 1.8A charging and can confirm it by timing and watching % charge. But I do use either oem usb cable or usb cable from my ue Boom or monoprice cables. No matter how great your battery, the cable will be your bottleneck if its not true 2A cable. Plus I have tested and can confirm that with a number of external batteries if you are charging from "apple" designated port or port rated at 1A - they put some current limiting to keep it capped.

Tried with the cable that came with the phone, stock, sometimes the charge drops to below 1000ma on the 2A port. Tried with a HTC cable. Same issue. Also tried with the cable that came with the anker, same thing. Am using an Anker E4 so i believe their build quality is more or less the same right?

Which monoprice cable are you using? Can you give me a link on amazon? Guaranteed true 2amp cable?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of Anker Astro 3 (new 2nd gen) 12000 mAh external battery: http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7904-BA

*** The Review of the Updated version was posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51836263&postcount=62

Yes, another external battery. No, this one is like nothing I have ever tested from Anker or anybody else. It's not a surprise Anker became one of my favorite companies to review new products from because they are constantly introducing something new and/or improved. That is the only way to stay on top of the game and to earn the top rating of your customers.

First of all, even with it's 12000 mAh capacity, this new 2nd gen Astro shrank up in size down to 110 mm x 83 mm x 26 mm which fits very comfortably and feels very nice with its soft touch rubbery finish in your hand. At close to 10 oz in weight you will feel it for sure in your pocket, although it's slick design is very portable and with included mesh pouch is easy to carry around in your bag/purse/backpack or even pants pocket, as long as you are not wearing skinny jeans :) In contrast to most of the today's external batteries with dual output, Astro 3 comes with 3 independent full size usb outputs that deliver a whooping 4A of combined current. I checked it by charging Note 2, S4, and Nexus 7 simultaneously and was able to confirm that right on a dot. N2 was charging at about 2A, S4 at about 1A, and N7 at about 1A as well. I was actually timing and monitoring the percentage of battery change, not just relying on Current Charge app. These 3 usb charging outputs are actually partitioned into one Smart output (intended for Apple devices and other android devices) and two Universal outputs which are specifically designed to charge Android devices at maximum speed. There is some custom circuit which determines max speed and optimizes output correspondingly. I also noticed the safety nature of this circuit prevented me from charging both N2 and S4 at 2A each from Universal outputs where N2 was charging at 2A and S4 at 1A, leaving 1A for Smart output, thus confirming it's not a bulk current sharing between all 3 ports. The input port, micro-usb, for charging Astor 3 is actually a fast 1.5A input which is great since it charges this external battery at 1.5x times faster rate.

While you charging the battery itself or using to charge other devices, another huge improvement in the design is a circular 10-segment indicator with granularity of 10%. You no longer have to rely on a typical 4-segment led. This one will give you a more precise reading, although it might take you a little while to get used to figuring out on a spot the exact percentage by counting segments before light times out. Once the light turns off, it's a clean surface design with no leds or buttons. So how do you turn it on or verify led count? Yet another cool innovation, just do a shake of the battery and indicator circle turns on to reveal number of active segments. I really like that motion activated switch, makes it very unique. But trust me, it's not the most unique part of this new Astro 3 design. As I mentioned in a number of my previous reviews, the labeled capacity of the battery is not what you actually get. It's the capacity of the cells inside of external battery when it has to be converted to 5V usb interface at the output and then back from 5V to 3.7V inside of the phone. During this conversion ALL external batteries loose anywhere between 30%-35% of its capacity. Well, this new 2nd gen Astro 3 is optimized to a much higher efficiency. I have tested it and can confirm it provides the actual charging capacity of 10,044 mAh, which means a loss of only 16%!!! Basically, the internal battery circuit has been optimized to provide a more efficient output. I have tested a lot of external batteries, and this is the first one I have seen at such high efficiency.

Overall, I was very impressed with a design and features of this battery, especially with how efficient it's output. Currently offered for $49.99 on Amazon its a great value where it provides the actual capacity output equal to other more expensive batteries labeled at around 14000 mAh. With a high output efficiency, 4A of total combined charging current, triple output, and motion activated 10-segment led indicator - I highly recommend it!

Here are the pictures.

anker_astro3-2-01_zps4f99c7f2.jpg

anker_astro3-2-02_zpsdfbdbd50.jpg

anker_astro3-2-03_zpsf9700e68.jpg

anker_astro3-2-04_zps367e9ca2.jpg

anker_astro3-2-05_zps85df6a9a.jpg

anker_astro3-2-06_zps4b28592c.jpg

anker_astro3-2-07_zps48983dfb.jpg

anker_astro3-2-08_zpsf01e1039.jpg

anker_astro3-2-09_zpseda528d9.jpg

anker_astro3-2-10_zpsc97007d0.jpg

anker_astro3-2-11_zpsaef5af26.jpg

anker_astro3-2-12_zpsb00e58a1.jpg

anker_astro3-2-13_zpsdd9ee45b.jpg

anker_astro3-2-14_zps7ea6e5dc.jpg
    Review of the updated version of Anker Astro 3 (2nd gen)

A lot of companies follow a simple formula: if it ain't broke, don't fit it. So if you have a great selling product, just continue with it. But, not the Anker guys. I was very impressed with their 2nd gen release of Astro 3 external battery, but was made aware they took it to the next level with a few of important updates. Now, I got a chance to receive it and to confirm these changes.

In general, it's the same 3 full usb port external battery with a capacity of 12,000 mAh per my original review you will find in OP. The footprint didn't change, the shape and the soft touch material stayed the same, in addition to black color you also get a white color option. One important change was update from 5V/1.5A charging input to 5V/2A which means 30% faster charging of the actual battery. I think it's very important considering it's large 12,000 mAh capacity. Another update is all new velor draw string storage pouch which is more durable and looks classier than a previous mesh pouch. But the most important change is that now ALL 3 ports are Smart universal ports able to charge any Android or Apple device (even the latest gen iPad) at the max charging speed. Just keep in mind, the combined max current is still capped at 4A, so don't expect to connect 3x iPads :) But as you can see, I had my Note 2 (charging at max speed) along with 2x Nexus 7 tablet without any problem while still maintaining 85%-87% charging efficiency.

Below are the pictures of the updated Astro 3 (2n gen) external battery (http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7904S-BA).

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-01_zps303118cb.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-02_zps97292d19.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-03_zps058fad7f.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-04_zps0933a1a2.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-05_zps897adc17.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-06_zpseb7792c5.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-07_zps7a3d8750.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-08_zpsb65bc3cd.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-09_zps3657dffc.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-10_zpsbc6a65c2.jpg

anker_astro3_2gen_v2-11_zpse524fd08.jpg
    Since vectron already did a great review on the Astro 3, I wanted to just add my own small input/experience with this great battery in his thread rather than creating a separate thread because I feel it would just add clutter. If I missed anything important, please refer to the OP because he's done a great job on outlining this battery's use/specs/details.

In my experience after using it, I can easily say that the Anker Astro 3 External Battery is a solid device. It packs a solid 12,000 mAh worth of power. I have used external batteries and power packs before. My previous version was the Anker Powerbank 8400mAh. This was a good device, but being a few years old, it cannot compare to the speed and power of the latest Astro 3. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (with a stock Samsung 3100mAh battery). This battery can and has charged my phone successfully to almost 4 full charges. I use my phone quite a bit with both my 4G LTE data and my 5 Ghz wifi connection. Now, we all know that the biggest battery hog of this huge phone is the screen. I use GPS a lot so the screen is always on in the car for that while simultaneously playing Pandora or YouTube videos for music. Typically, this will cause my phone battery to drain quite easily after heavy use, which is where a fast charging external battery like the Astro 3 becomes very useful.

Technical Specs: The battery capacity is 12,000 mAh/3.7V. Surprisingly, the battery maintains the level of charge when not in use, which can be rare as some batteries lose juice while sitting around much like a sleeping computer. The Astro 3 has a nice smooth black matte finish while the ends where the usb ports are have a glossy finish. The size is 11.1 x 8.3 x 2.6 cm. Almost like a nice thick wallet, it's comfortable to hold in one hand without issue. It weighs about 300 g/10oz but actually feels lighter in the hand. There are 4 ports - 1) Input Micro Usb port to charge the device at 5V/1.5A 2) Smart Usb Output port to charge an external device at 5V/2A (max) 3) Universal Usb Output port charging at 5V/1.5A (max) 4) Universal Usb Output port charging at 5V/1.5A (max). I have thoroughly tested each of these ports with my Galaxy Note 2 and my brother's Galaxy S3. The Smart port is very intelligent and charges the phone at a max of 2A which is great for my Note 2 - Note 2 can charge at the max 2A allowing for much faster recharge. The faster your ouput from your external battery with a matching input charge allows for such convenience. Many don't realize this. Nowadays we buy external batteries without understanding this number. If you buy an external battery that only charges your device at 1A, then your phone can only suck out that much juice at a time even if you have a newer phone that has a higher input (2A input from Note 2). This leads to longer charging time. The input charging rate for the Astro 3 is 1500mAh/h which is pretty fast for an external battery of this range. This allows it to charge from 0-12,000mAh in about 7-8 hours give or take if you are using a strong wall charger. I use a 1.8A blackberry play charger that works flawlessly to charge both this and my Note 2. A small/efficient charging micro Usb cable (about 8-10 in. long) comes with the Astro 3, which makes charging fast/easy.

Uses: The Astro 3 is quite easy to turn on. Just shake the battery to turn it on before you start charging your device after you plug it in, which is pretty smart. The device won't waste charge after a phone has been completely charged. It will shut off. Again, if you shake when nothing is plugged in, the Astro 3 wakes for about 10 seconds to show you how much charge is left by showing a circle of 10 LED lights. I assume this is for each 10% of the battery. It's pretty nice because it animates as it charges and when it shows you how much is left. I mentioned that I'm quite a power user when it comes to using my phone, especially when I'm on the road. I use GPS and Pandora on full brightness constantly. The Astro 3 is very portable and can be left in my car or placed in my rear pocket with the carrying pouch provided (the pouch is made of soft mesh and has a drawstring that can be easily carried in one's hand). Granted, you won't be carrying it in your pocket all the time, but it is nice to know that it can be taken with you on the go when necessary without making your hands full. When I'm home, I just leave the Astro 3 in the main living room for anyone who is to lazy to get up and go plug in their phone to their wall charger. This is a nice convenience factor for most external batteries. I also like the fact that the battery doesn't get very hot when charging my devices.

Ideal Consumers: This device is great for literally anyone, especially those who need a lot of power on the go for a single device or multiple devices. The amount of power it packs for its small size is really quite impressive. If you're someone who uses their phone for web, gps, music, movies, etc on the go, the Astro 3 is definitely worth getting. Even if you're not a power user and are too far from an available outlet, this device is very useful. I actually forgot my charger at home one day when going out of town, and had packed the Astro 3 in my car luckily before, which saved me during that weekend where I was constantly using my phone GPS and making phone calls/texting all day.

Final Thoughts: I am very satisfied with the Astro 3. I use it regularly and can't recommend it enough. I have used the old Anker 8400 Powerbank, and it still is working nicely to this day despite not being as fast and powerful as the new Astro 3. I also bought the new Bluetooth 4.0 headphones Anker just released, and they are absolutely great for sound quality, battery life, and just the flexible nature of their design. My brother loved the Astro 3 so much and wanted something even more portable, so I ended up buying him the Anker AstroSlim3 6000mAh external battery. Yes, it's half the power, but it's just as slim and similar in size to the Galaxy S3 that he has. Plus, his battery is only about 2600 mAh so he gets almost 2.5 full charges from it, which is not bad if you want something ultra portable. However, if you're someone that is out and about quite a bit or just find charging your phone by an outlet to be an inconvenience when you need to use your device for something important, buying a large mAh external battery like the Astro 3 is worth it.
    Someone just pointed out to me Anker has back 2 school sale, with Astro 3 now for $45.99. Here is a link: http://www.ianker.com/adpage.php?act=us

I also been asked if Smart port will charge iPad 4 at full 2.4A speed. I'm checking into this and will post an update as soon as I find out.