Can I convert my HTC One M8 to a Google Play Edition?

Search This thread

Tazz.

Mar 27, 2014
New York City
Hey XDA-Developers!,

So I'm going to be purchasing my first smartphone ever! I saw the HTC One M8 as a perfect phone and it seems great! I was going to purchase an Unlocked HTC One M8 from Amazon and was wondering how would I go about turning off BlinkFeed. Also if possible, how would I go about converting my unlocked HTC One M8 to a Google Play Edition. I've used the Nexus 5 before and it was beautiful. Since I'm getting the M8 I kind of want it to be the same as the Nexus 5 also I won't be have a use for BlinkFeed. If you can help me out that'd be great, thanks!

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
First you can just turn off BlinkFeed if you want. Second yes you can convert but there is really no point. Just flash a gpe Rom.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: exad and Tazz.

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Reactions: Tazz.

Tazz.

Mar 27, 2014
New York City
if you want a FULL convert to get stock updates from google check out the development thread and graffix has a thread that walks you through it. i converted my ATT model and its now a google GPE HTC one m8 and will receive all the updates.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589

Just wondering, if I convert my HTC One M8 with Sense 6 to GPE, do I still have the old Sense 6 features, such as Zoe and all the other features (except BlinkFeed)

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Just wondering, if I convert my HTC One M8 with Sense 6 to GPE, do I still have the old Sense 6 features, such as Zoe and all the other features (except BlinkFeed)

No, these features are tied into the sense framework and are no longer there. I would suggest flashing a GPE rom first, to see what features you get/loose, prior to even considering converting to GPE.

kennypow3rs

Aug 31, 2011
Houston

No Zoe for now but the sense camera features work like 3D, ufocus etc. I much prefer stock over sense plus with direct updates from Google you can't go wrong. No other sense features but GPE has its own features. I love it and would never go back to sense.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: exad

downwiththebanksters

May 28, 2011
Taiwan
I thought I read somewhere that HTC is making some of it's Sense features available as Play store apps. The IR blaster app is one I think I saw mentioned, but also the camera app. Can anyone speak to this with the correct device touching the play store, and perhaps within the correct geofence area.

Reactions: kennypow3rs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First you can just turn off BlinkFeed if you want. Second yes you can convert but there is really no point. Just flash a gpe Rom.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Apparently SinLessROM GPe v1.0 is like stock but faster and has better battery management. can anyone confirm?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709397
    if you want a FULL convert to get stock updates from google check out the development thread and graffix has a thread that walks you through it. i converted my ATT model and its now a google GPE HTC one m8 and will receive all the updates.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589

It is my understanding, however, that until an RUU is released, one cannot return to sense or even flash sense roms. Correct?

No Zoe for now but the sense camera features work like 3D, ufocus etc. I much prefer stock over sense plus with direct updates from Google you can't go wrong. No other sense features but GPE has its own features. I love it and would never go back to sense.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I thought I read somewhere that HTC is making some of it's Sense features available as Play store apps. The IR blaster app is one I think I saw mentioned, but also the camera app. Can anyone speak to this with the correct device touching the play store, and perhaps within the correct geofence area.