Best Offline Navigation for Nexus 7?

Search This thread

itch808

Apr 29, 2010
The topic of offline navigation has been discussed before. However with the Nexus 7 and JB, what offline app provides the quickest, accurate, and full featured navigation?

-Copilot
-Sygic
-Navfree
-Other????

I'm trying to decide which one to spend my money on only ONCE. I know google maps has offline cache, but there's still no searching for POI and naviagation.

roush611

Jan 27, 2009
The built in navigation works great! I used it a couple times this weekend to test it out.

pache711

Jul 3, 2012
Sygic

I use Sygic myself! I love it! It's great because when you purchase a map pack like North America for example you can download by state so you can save space and download only the places you need! Plus you can import POIs from various websites which is nice! Also the voice nav doesn't sound robotic, I have mine set to British English and it sounds like a real person!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
The topic of offline navigation has been discussed before. However with the Nexus 7 and JB, what offline app provides the quickest, accurate, and full featured navigation?

-Copilot
-Sygic
-Navfree
-Other????

I'm trying to decide which one to spend my money on only ONCE. I know google maps has offline cache, but there's still no searching for POI and naviagation.

Google Maps w/offline data cached for areas your in. you can get a hell of alot of map area saved offline. :) still the best imo.
edit: sorry, realized you mentioned POI, navigation does work fine though w/offline gmaps :)

Last edited:

Stresa

Aug 13, 2010
I've been using Copilot for a number of years now and I love it. Looks and runs beautiful on the N7...

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
If you have loaded a map for navigation it works fine unless you want to go a different direction than what is programmed in nav. It doesn't reroute until you have a data connection with your phone or mifi or something.

aagvain

Apr 18, 2008
dfw
I've been using Copilot for a number of years now and I love it. Looks and runs beautiful on the N7...

i have it on my gnex and works great. do you know if there are any issues having it on 2 devices or does another license need to be purchased.

gogol

May 20, 2005
But, how do you use it in the car?

I meant, what kind of car holder do you use?

And don't you think it does not obstruct the driving view?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

adit9989

Jul 9, 2008

-Copilot
-Sygic
-Navfree
-Other????

Waiting for NavNgo Primo to became available for Android (they have a version for IPhone). On PNDs (Win CE) is the BEST navigation sofware, periodTheir current version called "Primo" sold only to OEMs to be installed on PNDs is years ahead of Google Navigation.In fact Google should be smart and buy them and replace their navigation software with that one.They will save years of development on their own navigation software and will transform Android over night into the best automotive OS. Most PNDs exept the big brands as TomTom and Garmin is using this software. Hopefully it's going to be an Android version soon.The software is great but it require a customized UI for every resolution (maps are self adjusting, but the rest of UI uses bitmaps). But the software is modable, so it might not be a problem.Next in line I would try Navigon (now Garmin). Not sure how is the Android software did not play with it, their PNDs hovever were not bad, but still less fluid that IGo.I also read that some Android nav software is not on par with the older WinCE versions buy any reason, even the paid versions.

Last edited:

Stresa

Aug 13, 2010
i have it on my gnex and works great. do you know if there are any issues having it on 2 devices or does another license need to be purchased.

I ran it on my original Galaxy S, I have it on my Galaxy S3, and on the Nexus 7. I think as long as all are using the same google account you should be good to go.

Reactions: igalmarino

allonon

Jul 1, 2006
I side loaded it. Downloaded several state maps, but it still doesn't work right. It seems to be locking up (I get a black screen once I get a map open).

Edit: It seems to be working now. More testing to come.

I can't get 4.13 to start right. 4.11 did the same thing. black screen first couple of times then it was fine.

Might load 4.11 back for now until they update

jmcging

Aug 30, 2010
I have CoPilot Live for North America and its great on the Nexus. Fast satellite link, lots of POIs, works great for car GPS alternative and local travel on foot or as a passenger. I've moved it from device to device and with frequent map updates, it's a keeper. On the down side, full NA maps = 1.2 G, so glad I have a 16G unit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I ran it on my original Galaxy S, I have it on my Galaxy S3, and on the Nexus 7. I think as long as all are using the same google account you should be good to go.

But, how do you use it in the car?

I meant, what kind of car holder do you use?

And don't you think it does not obstruct the driving view?

With my iPad I used to use the Arkon Tablet mount which you can find on Amazon.

This is how I mounted it and there was no obstruction:

However, now I have a new car with a 7-inch Nav built in. The software on the nav doesn't give me the speed limit at my current location, and this is a feature Navigon supplied and I sorely miss. So, I'm thinking of either running it on my phone or having it on my GN7 just sitting on the seat.