KFHD System.img Restore Tool- Updated links 5/15/14

Search This thread

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
If I have the 7.2.2 update on KFHD 7", Can this be used to revert back to 7.2.1 so that we can root again?

Yes this tool was made with a backup of the system.img from v7.2.1. It should not matter what version you are currently using. When I made the backup, to confirm downgrade was possible I used a previous backup and downgraded from 7.2.1 to 7.1.5 and it worked no problem.

comtech1234

Oct 7, 2012
Lebanon
www.thef3ar.net
Hey, I purchased the SkOrPn jig from SkOrPn. I connected it to my hd7 plugged it in fastboot came up on screen windows installed fire as adb but when I try to see if fast is working or use options 1 or 2 I wait a few seconds it says waiting for device and nothing ever happens. I also tried unplugging and re-plugging after it said waiting for device. Any ideas?

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Very bad tool. It bricked my Kindle.

I'm sorry to here that, the thing is this tool was primarily made to unbrick your device. Also the only thing this tool does is flash a system.img(and erase cache and userdata is you chose to), so if something was messed with outside the system partition it does no good.

I personally used this tool many times and have confirmed others that have used it with no problems. Now if you could be more specific as to exactly what happened and the reason you were using this tool maybe a solution could be found, in the process helping me and others if there is a problem with it. Lets try to figure this out before claiming it is a "bad" tool.

I can see there seems to be a problem with a file missing(from platform tools of sdk) to allow this to downgrade the system. If someone can point this out please let me know. Although I no longer own the 7" model so I cannot test this myself. That said if anyone would like to take over updating this tool for the 7" feel free.

Reactions: griff2113

gavroche

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
Hi,

I tried this using the 7.2.1 image on my KFHD 7" and system boots to system recovery mode and will not boot normally.

I then tried 7.1.5 image and it boots up ok but wifi and touch screen is not working?

I tried also deleting the userdata and cache and that makes no difference.

Is there no way we can use this to restore an original Amazon .bin file?

Many thanks

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
I tried this to restore a demo kindle fire HD i bought from a comet closing down sale. It seems to have worked but for one major issue, the touchscreen no longer works, as above user. Not sure what to do now.

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
Tried this again using the 7.2.2 system image and now it doesn't even boot. :(

EDIT: Thanks to longthinkzhang I've solved this problem by flashing the other partitions that he provided.

Last edited:

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester

EDIT: Thanks to longthinkzhang I've solved this problem by flashing the other partitions that he provided.

It seems that amazon has also updated the boot.img and recovery.img with this recent 7.2.3 update. I have someone sending me a backup of the new 7.2.3 system version. As soon as I recieve it I will update the tool.
Check out the OP in a few for a fix with v1.2 of this tool

gavroche

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
It seems that amazon has also updated the boot.img and recovery.img with this recent 7.2.3 update. I have someone sending me a backup of the new 7.2.3 system version. As soon as I recieve it I will update the tool.
Check out the OP in a few for a fix with v1.2 of this tool

Thanks that solved it as I had already updated to 7.2.3 before trying 7.1.5 and 7.2.1 things weren't playing ball.

If we had a 7.1.5 boot.img and recovery.img could we downgrade?

As far as I can tell 7.2.3 firmware Amazon is also editing iptables and thus bypassing any firewall we may have in place... so we still can't easily prevent OTA updates which is nasty.

Reflexdarky

Jul 4, 2012

solaris how did you get your demo mode kindle in to fastboot i have one and i am having trouble getting it into fastboot i have a factory cable but when i plug it in the kindle just loads the software like normal and still in demo mode

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

solaris how did you get your demo mode kindle in to fastboot i have one and i am having trouble getting it into fastboot i have a factory cable but when i plug it in the kindle just loads the software like normal and still in demo mode

problem fixed i used another usb port but now i have no working touch screen any ideas how to fix that

Reactions: bazm60

Reflexdarky

Jul 4, 2012

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

problem fixed i used another usb port but now i have no working touch screen any ideas how to fix that

FIXED i flashed the boot.img and recovery.img from the first post and touchscreen is working i know have a fully working kindle that was a store demo version :D:D:D

Noxious Ninja

Jul 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Any word on the 7.2.3 update? I just got a KF HD 7" which came with 7.2.3, and I have a factory cable on the way. I want to root, but I kind of want to make sure there's a way to recover if something goes wrong. :) Although if downgrading to 7.2.1 is a safe way of recovering, I might go ahead and root...

Is there any benefit to running 7.2.1 over 7.2.3?

I'm willing to help if there's any way I can.

Last edited:

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Any word on the 7.2.3 update? I just got a KF HD 7" which came with 7.2.3, and I have a factory cable on the way. I want to root, but I kind of want to make sure there's a way to recover if something goes wrong. :) Although if downgrading to 7.2.1 is a safe way of recovering, I might go ahead and root...

Is there any benefit to running 7.2.1 over 7.2.3?

I'm willing to help if there's any way I can.

I'm still waiting on the back up from someone. Got a pm that they were uploading it now.

No there is no reason to stay on 7.2.1. As long as you can root it would seem better to have the latest version.

I'll let you know if there's anything you can do

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda app-developers app

neoseekar

Nov 16, 2012
UPDATE PLEASE READ!! (ALL OF THE NEXT PARAGRAPH)
It seems as though amazon decided to be a little sneaky with these new updates v7.2.2-7.2.3. Along with a system update they included a new boot.img and recovery.img, no doubt trying to stop us from doing what we want to with these devices. There is currently a backup for 7.2.3 being sent to me. Hopefully I can get this tool updated tonight and unbrick some devices.

The method below is confirmed to work for downgrade to 7.2.1:
Download boot.img and recovery.img(these are backus from 7.2.1) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 folder
Use KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 to flash system.img.
Erase userdata and cache
Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
Use these cmds:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
Then reboot.
Thanks to bazm60 for confirming the method above works.
Many thanks to hellocali626 for figuring this one out. Hellocali626 used this method from a backup of 7.2.2 and it worked great.

Code:
Updated- KFHD_SRT_v1.2
-new system partition backups for software v7.2.1
-updated vending.apk to phonesky.apk for newest version of play store
-see 8.9 development thread for v1.3

THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
KINDLE FIRE HD ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
I put together this tool last night for those that have tried to modify their system unsuccessfully and bricked their device. You must be able to get your device into fastboot for this to work. The easiest way is to purchase a factory cable or make your own(a $15 purchase or a little bit of your time is better than a bricked device). If the device can be recognized by ADB the you can use these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
reboot bootloader
The .img's in this tool were made from a rooted device w/ the su binary in place. There is no need to re-root your device, however if you choose to erase cache and user data(not necessary but may be a good idea) you will need to re-install Superuser.apk to gain root.

Instructions:
1. Download KFHD_SRT_v1.0/KFHD_SRT_v1.2 from the link below and unzip.
2. Make sure your device is in fastboot mode. It is assumed you have the appropriate drivers or you would not have need of this tool.
3. Run the SR Tool.bat and follow the instructions. Thats it.

KFHD_SRT_v1.2- software v7.2.1
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4lZEJI5lYeMd09wN2hnd0pUV0k

KFHD_SRT_v1.0- software v7.1.5
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4lZEJI5lYeMeFhCNGFFM0lXdzQ

I apologize for the size of this tool. The .img files used are rather large. And it is fully automated. If anyone has their own system.img and would like for me to upload this without images let me know. You would just need to drop your own .img into the image folder of the tool.

Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
Hi onemeila, I thank you so much for putting up this helpful thread. I used it to downgrade to stock 7.2.1 after i messed up my daughter's KFHD 7. And I also learned a good deal and had fun while going through the process.

May I suggest you re-write this as a " Step-by-step HOW TO" guide for such noobs like me as most would find it confusing figuring out the first step to do. Once again, a hearty THANK YOU!

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Hi onemeila, I thank you so much for putting up this helpful thread. I used it to downgrade to stock 7.2.1 after i messed up my daughter's KFHD 7. And I also learned a good deal and had fun while going through the process.

May I suggest you re-write this as a " Step-by-step HOW TO" guide for such noobs like me as most would find it confusing figuring out the first step to do. Once again, a hearty THANK YOU!

Yeah I was planning on doing that with this next update. It all is seeming to get a little jumbled. Thank you for the input though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda app-developers app

Reactions: himala and bazm60

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KINDLE FIRE HD ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    I put together this tool for those that have tried to modify their system unsuccessfully and bricked their device. You must be able to get your device into fastboot for this to work. The easiest way is to purchase a factory cable or make your own(a $15 purchase or a little bit of your time is better than a bricked device).
    The .img's in this tool were made from a rooted device w/ the su binary in place. There is no need to re-root your device, however if you choose to erase cache and user data(not necessary but may be a good idea) you will need to re-install Superuser.apk to gain root.

Instructions:
    1.) Download the version you want to use from the link below and unzip.
    2.) Enable fastboot mode. Turn off your device then plug into your pc using a factory cable. If the device is recognized by adb then you can use this command:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"
    3.) Run the SR Tool.bat and follow the instructions. If you wish to downgrade system versions see instructions at the bottom of the post.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5- 7.3.0 (seperate option for restoring factory recovery)
    KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0- 7.2.3 (separate option for restoring factory recovery)
    KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3- 7.2.3
    KFHD_SRT_v1.2- 7.2.1
    KFHD_SRT_v1.0- 7.1.5

I apologize for the size of this tool. The .img files used are rather large. If you want to use your own backup .img then download the lastest version of this tool from here. Just place your system.img inside images folder. It must be named system for option 1 or system2 for option 2

UPDATES:
    4/20/13
    -separate option to restore factory recovery and boot now on v1.3.0
    4/17/13
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5
    -flashing boot and recovery images now a separate option
    3/21/13
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0
    -boot and recovery images inlcuded
    -SuperSU and GoogleServicesFramework now included as system apk's
    12/22/12
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3
    -System v7.2.3
    -New option for installing Googleservicesframework.apk
    12/17/12
    -downgrade method instructions(confirmed)
    12/1/12
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.2
    -new system partition backups for software v7.2.1
    -vending.apk to phonesky.apk for newest version of play store

Instructions for downgrading to 7.2.1:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backus from 7.2.1) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
          fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Those who deserve our thanks:
    kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    bazm60 for confirming the method above works.
    hellocali626 for bringing to my attention the need to flash boot and recovery images for downgrade.
    You are correct, I used the FireFlash.
    This is what I used with fireflash11.apk
    kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6
    kfhd7-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery
    Maybe this can help provide more information for you?

I have a fastboot cable and can get in fastboot mode and red screen only.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Ya I believe that I bricked it as I can not enter any adb commands only some fastboot commands are working at it only works in fastboot mode.

I think that I am going to chop this one up as a loss....

Again thanks for your assistance..

All you can do is fastboot commands while in fastboot, which is all you have access to atm. You no longer have adb nor do you need it atm. When you restore, you will. Red screen when using FireFlash is from not ticking the stack override box before flashing. Just use the System Restore Tool and flash your tablet to stock and start over. Your tablet is recognised in fastboot and should be recoverable.
    Uploading the 7.4.9 rooted stock images now.

http://goo.gl/VO8prH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Yes it works on the KFHD 7" and KF2 7", It does not work on the 8.9" version however it is not needed because you can use a fastboot command with product id while powering on and works everytime, even when no adb and in bootloop(confirmed personally all of the above)
    Hope you don't mind I've directed a few people to your link for factory cables.

No I do not mind, lol... However, I do not own any of these devices and yet people keep asking me if it will work on their device. I keep seeing different reports on the subject and do not want to be giving out false hope. I will update my list of confirmed devices.

Thanks for all the work you do to help the Kindle community :good: and thanks for the positive endorsement on my Factory Cable...

Best Regards
    SkOrPn
    Update: problem fixed. I took your bat the gx.jar and the images folder and placed them in the platform tools folder and viola. Great tool. Thanks for your time and effort

Sent from my Stock Htc evo 4g