[Q] Wifi Issue on SGH i337

Search This thread

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
Hey all, I'm experiencing the following -major- problem lately and got here for some help. Have read like a hundred threads here on xda and elsewhere but still not sure what should i do.

My SGH i337 will NOT connect to any Wifi network unless i place it right next to the router. And that happens for every router, anywhere i try. Every other device connects easily and stable. When I first noticed the problem i was running i337___MF3 and 4.2.2. Had the hardware checked, was told everything works as it should. Someone - elsewhere - told me i should update, which i did, on to 4.3, i337UCUMK2. Eventually that was not wise, since the problem remained + i lost the mobile data toggle + it doesn't support Greek language, which I currently need.

Is there anything i could do to fix this?

Thanx.
(I don't have a warranty + I have already commented about it in code.google.com

Current baseband: i337UCUMK2
Kernel:3.4.0-1921628
Rooted
Safestrap:3.71

+ My apologies if a thread about the issue already exists, please let me know.

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hey all, I'm experiencing the following -major- problem lately and got here for some help. Have read like a hundred threads here on xda and elsewhere but still not sure what should i do.

My SGH i337 will NOT connect to any Wifi network unless i place it right next to the router. And that happens for every router, anywhere i try. Every other device connects easily and stable. When I first noticed the problem i was running i337___MF3 and 4.2.2. Had the hardware checked, was told everything works as it should. Someone - elsewhere - told me i should update, which i did, on to 4.3, i337UCUMK2. Eventually that was not wise, since the problem remained + i lost the mobile data toggle + it doesn't support Greek language, which I currently need.

Thanx.

Rooted

You should try reflashing the stock tar files from the MK2 TAR thread in the general section, first. Or at least try the MK2 modem. Besides that, search for Language Enabler on the market to get greek.

Last edited:
Reactions: chanik

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
You should try reflashing the stock tar files from the MK2 TAR thread in the general section, first. Or at least try the MK2 modem. Besides that, search for Language Enabler on the market to get greek.

Thanx for the response. Don't mean to sound lazy, but could you provide the link for that MK2 modem tar file? I don't think i have located yet :rolleyes: . (Am i going to flash that single tar file via Odin in the PDA slot?)

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
Last edited:

judapa

Aug 27, 2007
Thanx for your response. I flashed that modem.bin, but the problem remains..Any idea anyone if that 4.4.2 update might fix such a Wifi issue?

I am in the same boat, exactly the same problem. I have a list of phones with this problem. After reading for around 4 days about this problem, there is much information about, and most people concludes that Kernel version does not match BaseBand version.

Model Android BaseBand Kernel
SGH-I337 4.3 I337UCUEMK2 3.4.0-1921628 se infra@R0304- 06#1 Sat Nov 16 14:33:13 KST 2013
SGH-I337M 4.3 I337MUMUEMK6 3.4.0.2159617 se.infra@R0210-08#1 Tue Nov 19 20:49:33 KST 2013
SGH-I337 4.4.2 I337UCUFNB1 3.4.0-505595 dpi@SWDD5521 # 1 Tue Feb 11 22:24:31 KST 2014

I have been able to Root I337 4.3 MK2 phone using Kingo, but I cannot install CWM or TWRP Custom Recoverys because the bootloader is locked. I can only install Safestrap Custom Recovery for my phone, I have not done this because I want to have my phone as much stock as possible.

I think the solution is to flash different modems, we have all posted here but in CWM/TWRP version, so I cannot flash thems because my Bootloader does not make install Custom Recoveries, so I have to looking for Odin tar modem files and try if I Odin let me flash them on my phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496517

If any people has any experience or have done this and the process was successful and have the modems in Odin (tar) format, I really appreciate his contributions.

I have tried other tips and tricks like *#0011# and click on Menu button, then WiFi, then WiFi Power save mode OFF. No solution in my case.

The problem to upgrade to I337 4.4.2 is that we cannot come back to 4.3 because there is a new bootloader and this only permit flash 4.4.2 OS ROM versions.
Additional Android OS 4.4.2 cannot be rooted by Today methods and exploits, all under is developing, in the future, for sure there will be a way, but if we do not have root the possibilities to solve/fix WiFi issue are less than if we are root.

:confused: All contributions are very welcome to fix this problem in the scene with Samsung S4 devices.!!
:confused::confused::confused:

More information about this topic:
1. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621279

2. Stock firmwares
SGH-I337 (AT&T)

Baseband version Build Date Android version Stock
I337UCUEMK2 2013 December 4.3 Jelly Bean (OTA)
I337UCUEMJ9 2013 November 4.3 Jelly Bean (OTA)
I337UCUAMDL 2013 April 4.2.2 Jelly Bean [link] [link]
I337UCUAMDB 2013 April 4.2.2 Jelly Bean [link]

http://www.androidayos.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-odin-stock-firmware/

3. All info about MK2 I337 stock firmware:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621279

:confused::confused:

Last edited:

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
Nice to know i'm not the only around with this problem :good: . As I wrote above i have already flashed a different modem version (successfully) but the problem remained. There's another weird thing with this mess. Yesterday, i noticed that the phone automatically connected to a public Wifi network (in fact the open municipality Wifi network), the antenna of which broadcasts ~100 m from where I was sitting! However, it couldn't even spot the Wifi of the cafe i was in (the router was about 5m away).

I 've tried to connect with 17 different routers (public or private). In my two, i modified the settings in any way i knew, channels, frequency, etc. I 've also tried that *#0011# trick. Every time I ended up with the same result and that raspy feeling of having a practically useless smartphone. Hope there 'll be a solution soon, 4G has already cost me 120E last month.

By the way, my device info
SGH-I337, 4.3, I337UCUEMK2, 3.4.0-1921628 se infra@R0304- 06#1 Sat Nov 16 14:33:13 KST 2013

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
I am in the same boat, exactly the same problem. I have a list of phones with this problem. After reading for around 4 days about this problem, there is much information about, and most people concludes that Kernel version does not match BaseBand version.

Anything new to share on this??

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
You need to read the guide All thing MK2 that was posted above. It has all the instructions on how to fix the wifi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
You need to read the guide All thing MK2 that was posted above. It has all the instructions on how to fix the wifi

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and answer, but I don't find your answer quite helpful. I don't want you to read the thread for me for sure but have you come across a discussion for this issue in that thread, or just suggesting the thread?

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and answer, but I don't find your answer quite helpful. I don't want you to read the thread for me for sure but have you come across a discussion for this issue in that thread, or just suggesting the thread?

If you are still having the known wifi issue after flashing a rom then you need to Odin back to stock with the mk2 tar files posted in the guide, flash the TW based rom & the Att modules. Follow the instructions for the rom exactly for proper setup. Also check your APN settings too. Be sure to thank the op in the threads that help you & the rom developer as well. Good luck.

Last edited:

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
If you are still having the known wifi issue after flashing a rom then you need to Odin back to stock with the mk2 tar files posted in the guide, flash the TW based rom & the Att modules. Follow the instructions for the rom exactly & it will work. Be sure to thank the op in the threads that help you & the rom developer as well. Good luck.

I 've already Odin back to stock, formatted cache, flashed the SHOstock ROM for i337 into ROM slot 1. Procedure completed, DONE printed, asks me to reboot system. Doing so, phone reboots, safestrap:enabled, press continue---> phone turns off.

What am i doing wrong? :(

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
I 've already Odin back to stock, formatted cache, flashed the SHOstock ROM for i337 into ROM slot 1. Procedure completed, DONE printed, asks me to reboot system. Doing so, phone reboots, safestrap:enabled, press continue---> phone turns off.

What am i doing wrong? :(

Not clear on what is happening. Your phone shuts off completely after the Safestrap enabled splash screen? Does it boot up into rom at all? Did you allow your phone sit for 10 minutes after you flashed the new rom before using it? You may need to reflash rom if not. Also try removing & reinstalling Safestrap.

Last edited:

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
Not clear on what is happening. Your phone shuts off completely after the Safestrap enabled splash screen? Does it boot up into rom at all? Did you allow your phone sit for 10 minutes after you flashed the new rom before using it? You may need to reflash rom if not. Also try removing & reinstalling Safestrap.

Yeah sure i did, left it for about a quarter...didn't boot up at all. i'm gonna give it one more try after reinstalling safestrap...

chanik

Feb 24, 2014
I don't think I'm installing ROM as i should. Also tried with Goldeneye 21, same things happened. Although SS says installation is succesful, i think it's not.

Anyway, i'm tired with this s***, i think i' ll give up. Yesterday judapa told me i could fix it using sptbox, like he did...but wtf??

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
I don't think I'm installing ROM as i should. Also tried with Goldeneye 21, same things happened. Although SS says installation is succesful, i think it's not.

Anyway, i'm tired with this s***, i think i' ll give up. Yesterday judapa told me i could fix it using sptbox, like he did...but wtf??

Did you check your apn settings after flashing Goldeneye?

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013

It's likely you missed a step. Very easy to do with this phone. Flashing roms on it is a bit more complicated than it is on unlocked boot loader versions. But it can be done. I'm also on mk2 running the 4.4.2 Kit Kat Deadly Venom rom. Everything works beautifully. Did you check your apn settings after flashing Goldeneye? Maybe try a non-international rom 1st?

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

How do i do that? (By the way, thank you for your help & patience)

Just enter apn setting into the search bar on XDA & find your carrier. Then select that thread & follow the instructions. Some roms you need to configure the apn settings manually.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

It's likely you missed a step. Very easy to do with this phone. Flashing roms on it is a bit more complicated than it is on unlocked boot loader versions. But it can be done. I'm also on mk2 running the 4.4.2 Kit Kat Deadly Venom rom. Everything works beautifully. Did you check your apn settings after flashing Goldeneye? Maybe try a non-international rom 1st?

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Just enter apn setting into the search bar on XDA & find your carrier. Then select that thread & follow the instructions. Some roms you need to configure the apn settings manually.
. Don't give up. You are so close to having an even more awesome S 4!

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

SGH-I337 4.3 I337UCUEMK2 3.4.0-1921628 se infra@R0304- 06#1 Sat Nov 16 14:33:13 KST 2013
SGH-I337M 4.3 I337MUMUEMK6 3.4.0.2159617 se.infra@R0210-08#1 Tue Nov 19 20:49:33 KST 2013
SGH-I337 4.4.2 I337UCUFNB1 3.4.0-505595 dpi@SWDD5521 # 1 Tue Feb 11 22:24:31 KST 2014

I have been able to Root I337 4.3 MK2 phone using Kingo, but I cannot install CWM or TWRP Custom Recoverys because the bootloader is locked. I can only install Safestrap Custom Recovery for my phone, I have not done this because I want to have my phone as much stock as possible.

I think the solution is to flash different modems, we have all posted here but in CWM/TWRP version, so I cannot flash thems because my Bootloader does not make install Custom Recoveries, so I have to looking for Odin tar modem files and try if I Odin let me flash them on my phone.

If any people has any experience or have done this and the process was successful and have the modems in Odin (tar) format, I really appreciate his contributions.

I have tried other tips and tricks like *#0011# and click on Menu button, then WiFi, then WiFi Power save mode OFF. No solution in my case.

The problem to upgrade to I337 4.4.2 is that we cannot come back to 4.3 because there is a new bootloader and this only permit flash 4.4.2 OS ROM versions.
Additional Android OS 4.4.2 cannot be rooted by Today methods and exploits, all under is developing, in the future, for sure there will be a way, but if we do not have root the possibilities to solve/fix WiFi issue are less than if we are root.

:confused: All contributions are very welcome to fix this problem in the scene with Samsung S4 devices.!!

2. Stock firmwares
SGH-I337 (AT&T)

You can flash custom rom on mk2 firmware even with the locked boot loader with Hashcode's Safestrap version 3.71 (which is a heavily modified TWRP recovery). Everything you need to know & do is in this easy to follow guide linked below. As far as other methods found on youtube or elsewhere to root, flash roms, and fix wifi, I say, if it's not listed on XDA, I wouldn't even trust it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616221

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanx.

Rooted

Thanx for the response. Don't mean to sound lazy, but could you provide the link for that MK2 modem tar file? I don't think i have located yet :rolleyes: . (Am i going to flash that single tar file via Odin in the PDA slot?)

Here is the mk2 tar files & info where to put them. Good luck & please thank the op in the thread.

Thanx for your response. I flashed that modem.bin, but the problem remains..Any idea anyone if that 4.4.2 update might fix such a Wifi issue?

2. Stock firmwares
    SGH-I337 (AT&T)

If you are still having the known wifi issue after flashing a rom then you need to Odin back to stock with the mk2 tar files posted in the guide, flash the TW based rom & the Att modules. Follow the instructions for the rom exactly for proper setup. Also check your APN settings too. Be sure to thank the op in the threads that help you & the rom developer as well. Good luck.