Mobile Data Charges - WI-FI Sleep issues

Search This thread

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
Ok so I've had the Nokia Lumia for 2 weeks now and I've just had a text from my network saying that I have almost used all of my 500mb data allowance already, stunned I rang Talkmobile up to find out that the phone has been using 3mb of data every second nearly!

I've now turned off the mobile internet in the settings to prevent a huge bill!

I don't understand this as its my work phone, so only use if for incoming emails really,and I'm always connected via WIFI at work and at home, so it seems to me that when the phone locks the WIFI automatically switches off and then runs on mobile data.
There are no settings to rectify this either.

Please check your allowances as this has used 487mb in 12 days!!!!!!

P.S After looking online it appears that either there is a bug or it's just the phone, but it disconnects the Wifi to save battery, meaning that it will run off mobile data occurring huge data consumption!!

Any one else noticed this, as some of my colleagues have this phone and the are on Orange and haven't noticed massive allowances.

robart76

Aug 9, 2008
I don't think it's going to be fixed with the patch you think of as this is system specific issue. All wp7 devices work this way. It's down to microsoft not Nokia

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
I never use Wifi and have a 1GB dataplan... I'm updating my apps, listen to mp3 streams, 3 email accounts, sometimes watching youtube videos, surfing the web, using live tiles... in short words i have a heavy data usage...

But never used more than 600-700Mb in 30 days...

There was/is a bug with specific mail accounts (think it was yahoo), I'm not sure if it is fixed... But 500Mb in 12 days seems to high to me...

BTW i like the fact that it's disconnects WiFi when locking the screen, else it would eat up my batteries in 4 hours...

Maybe MS should provide a option for active WiFi under the lock screen... but I
personally wouldn't use it...

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
I never use Wifi and have a 1GB dataplan... I'm updating my apps, listen to mp3 streams, 3 email accounts, sometimes watching youtube videos, surfing the web, using live tiles... in short words i have a heavy data usage...

But never used more than 600-700Mb in 30 days...

There was/is a bug with specific mail accounts (think it was yahoo), I'm not sure if it is fixed... But 500Mb in 12 days seems to high to me...

BTW i like the fact that it's disconnects WiFi when locking the screen, else it would eat up my batteries in 4 hours...

I think having an option would be better than not as my Samsung GS2 has it and I have the Wifi on never sleep, but I've not noticed it drain my battery.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2

I own Nokia Lumia 800 and HTC Desire HD also.

MaxDNet

Dec 24, 2009
Rome
THis is getting annoying..
I use a lot an app called whatsapp and i discovered that when i put the lockscreen the wifi go in standby too (also if the is no 3g where i live) and i dont recive any notification from whatsapp.

Once i reeneter the phone then i get all messages also back from 2 hours.

I cannot stay there every 5 minutes to check if a message arrives and with all my preovious android phone this wasnt a problem cause wifi was never off with lockscreen so i could still be in the world.

If this is a big issue i think this wp wont live much in my hands. 2 days i liked a lot but cant live with this ms decision..sort of nonsense, at least they should have putted an option where WE decide.

Sad sad.

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster
THis is getting annoying..
I use a lot an app called whatsapp and i discovered that when i put the lockscreen the wifi go in standby too (also if the is no 3g where i live) and i dont recive any notification from whatsapp.

Once i reeneter the phone then i get all messages also back from 2 hours.

I cannot stay there every 5 minutes to check if a message arrives and with all my preovious android phone this wasnt a problem cause wifi was never off with lockscreen so i could still be in the world.

If this is a big issue i think this wp wont live much in my hands. 2 days i liked a lot but cant live with this ms decision..sort of nonsense, at least they should have putted an option where WE decide.

Sad sad.
Couldn't agree more, options are great at least we can decide on poor battery life or a huge bill!
Very poor!

sc_

Nov 28, 2009
It appears the wifi remains connected when the power adaptor is plugged in and the phone is charging. Does anyone know whether it’s possible to trick the phone into thinking the power adaptor is still plugged in?

hugohabicht

Dec 1, 2009

I found out that WiFi stays connected if you disable "data connection"...

I disabled data connection to save battery over night but had wifi enabled (with knowing it would disable automatically as soon as the phone locks) - but in the morging i had 6 new emails and an emtpy battery :) so wifi must have been on all night...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's a known problem...There isn't priority when wifi is on...So 3g collection is on top at the same time..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using XDA Windows Phone 7 App