Opened my Prime! - GPS, WIFI Discussion on hardware mods and fixes. Light Bleed Fixed

Search This thread

Erusman

Aug 21, 2011
Yakima, WA
Last few days I been debating to Exacto off top two inches of my primes aluminum shell. :eek:
Right where the Wifi / GPS antenna are kept.
Of course doing so would VOID the warranty.. lol
But, it would test the theory of rather or not the aluminum back interferes
with anything.
The aluminum back is very thin. You could in theory take a ruler and scar
out a straight line. Go over the line many times with an exacto knife just
enough to break the aluminum shell. Then pull off top piece.
Hopefully it is just a shell and nothing is attached to it.
Anyone else brave enough to attempt such a venture?
My luck the wifi / gps / bluetooth results will be the same.
Good idea? Nuts? What do you guys think?:confused:

*** UPDATE ***
When I first got my prime its WIFI was very weak, and its GPS didn't work. I was very fustrated that I spent $500 on a tablet that didn't work! And it had Light bleed. I thought that when ASUS released its ICS update the problems would be fixed. They weren't. My return period had expired from where I purchased the prime originally so I tried to find as much info as I could on the prime's problems. Everything from aluminum backplate interference to pogo pin problems. I was fustrated :mad: so my original idea was just to Exacto off the top two inches of the prime. Well, after coming to my sense and realizing this idea was nuts. (sorry one too many beers). I just decided to try and open the unopenable! After seeing Anandtech teardown of the prime http://www.anandtech.com/show/5286/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-teardown I made some plastic tools and decided to open it up! To my surprise it was really easy to open!

Pics of opening the prime

OpenPrime1.jpg
OpenPrime2.jpg
OpenPrime3.jpg
OpenPrime4.jpg
OpenPrime5.jpg
OpenPrime6.jpg
OpenPrime7.jpg
OpenPrime8.jpg
OpenPrime11.jpg

Thanks to XDA member Doktaphex for uploading these Youtube videos of him opening his own prime!

Pic of PCB (printed circuit board) Primary WIFI antenna having a flawed PCB design?
When I opened my prime I found that ASUS included two wifi antenna PCB towards the top of the prime to pickup Wifi / GPS signal.
The secondary wifi pcb was fine. However the primary wifi antenna's pcb had a design flaw. The pcb copper etching on the primary
wifi antenna was not connected! Asus used pogo pins that transfered the wifi / gps signal from one side of the tablet to the other.
These pogo pins would lay flat against the wifi pcb's copper pad. However on the the wifi pcb i pulled out of my tablet the signal
never made its way from these copper pads to the top wifi antenna because the copper etching in the pcb was gapped! I tested
and no conductivity was found!
Is this the reason why ASUS pulled shipments when the prime was launched?
Is this the reason why some peoples WIFI work and others dont?
You be the judge.

FlawedWIFIPCB2.jpg

*** UPDATE ***

Ok here are the pics of my final mods. I removed both PCB Left and right Wifi/GPS antenna. I removed the pogo pins and drilled holes in the back of the aluminum backpanel. Holes where placed just below where pogo pins use to be. I then inserted some rubber gourmets around the drilled holes. Soldered on some wires to where pogo pins use to be and feed them through the rubber gourmets.

I have a MoKo Slim-Fit case so this mod works perfect for me. I can just tuck the wires behind the prime. And never even see the mod.

Awesome results. 32kbps/5kbps using speedtest for the wifi. Getting 20-30dBM in Wifi Analyzer. I can walk all around my house and get excellent wifi. I can walk out 50 feet in my yard and still pull all bars!
(Using Asus RT-N66U Dual-band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router)

GPS works perfect. Using GPS Test it gets a signal within 5 seconds and 15+ birds, accuracy great!

Light bleed fixed for me. Just messing around with screws on display.

FinalPrime1.jpg
FinalPrime3.jpg
FinalPrime6.jpg

***Update***
I finally got my Tyco Antenna the other day and tried them out. Unfortunately they did not work out. I soldered them to where pogo pins use to be and tried placing them all over in the tablet. I couldn't get any good WIFI results. The only area I had OK results was where the original WIFI PCB where at. (50% of wifi I am now getting from just some external wire antenna.) I then positioned the Tyco Antenna to the back of the prime. The aluminum back of the prime is the problem. It just block/interferes with everything. Whenever you have something even close to the back of the prime it interferes with it. I got fustrated, but maybe someone will have better results.

***Update***
Ok, after all the mods in last week+ I found a little method that work best for external wire antenna. Its called the "Caprisun straw method." lol.
Whenever you place anything close enough behind or back of prime. The aluminum backplate interferes with the signal. Even with external wires when I tucked them behind the prime the signal would degrade some. So what is the "Caprisun straw method." Well my kids drink alot of Caprisun's from COSTCO. While my 8yr old left an empty one out I had an idea with the straw. (see pic).

I decided to place my wires in the straw. As I pulled the straw up and down my WIFI Increased considerable! Why? because I was getting signal away from that darn aluminum backplate. You can use whatever straw or color you want. But the whole idea is now it is pretty quick and easy to adjust your WIFI range with the straw. When I am done playing with my tablet I simply tuck the straw back behind the tablet in case. GPS you can have a straw on as well and just push it up out of case. (GPS results are amazing with this little fake wifi antenna).

Strawmethod.jpg

***Update***
Ok I finished my final mod. I made myself some mini wifi antenna and placed them in my case. The mini wifi antenna are composed of a thin straw surrounded by heat shrink tubing. Capped with a plastic hole plug. Wires that come out of my tablet are inserted in the straw. Heated with lighter and sealed.

The mini wifi antenna I can pull up or down out of my case to extend the WIFI range. I am pulling three bars at more than 50 feet away. Amazing!!
(Charter Ultra 100mbs connection, ASUS RT-N66U Router : 32kbps / 5.5kbps Speedtest @ 50 feet)

I had to laugh a little because my prime kinda looks like a little android with the antenna stickin out. :D

FinalMod.jpg
FinalMod2.jpg

**Added 2-19-12 thanks to XDA member pileot and other Modders whom have found out that:**
IF YOU HAVE ANY ANTENNA / WIRE AFFIXED DIRECTLY NEXT TO / ALONG THE BACK CASE THE INTERFERENCE WILL BLOCK NEARLY ALL SIGNAL.
If you have any sort of wire / pigtail / antenna AWAY from the back of the case, you will get amazing reception.

***UPDATE***
lol I finally figured out what this switch was for. Located up above headphone
jack. Its the ON/OFF switch for mobo. So be sure to turn off your mobo power before you solder on any mods.:p

AsusPrimeSwitch.jpg

***UPDATE***
Ok, I just finished up another mod to my prime. My goal was to be able to mount the prime in a vehicle and use it on the road. So i needed the best WIFI and GPS I could get. And I did it!

Meet Optimus Prime!
attachment.php

AsusPrimeSMA2.jpg
AsusPrimeSMA3.jpg
AsusPrimeSMA1.jpg

I replaced the old mod with external SMA male connectors and was able to mount on some external WIFI antenna. Large ones atm. But I have some small 2.4ghz stubby antenna on order.

fbts25024smra725.jpg

I still need to mod my leather case to be able to insert the SMA connectors in it. However, I noticed with just the SMA connectors sticking out and NO WIFI antenna attached I still get good WIFI
(Both Factory WIFI PCB removed with soldered connection to SMA's)

The WIFI range on this thing is AMAZING! Full bars every place in my house and even out in my yard! 50+ feet away from my router. I think its limited to the range of my router more than anything now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I'd say go for it bit first study those tear down pics very hard. Even better blow them up n print them out. I don't think there's a need to do the whole top. Just the area where antennas would be located. Even better find the FCC tear down of it for exact measurements so to lessen your chances of mistake or cutting too much. Good luck n keep up posted. You will be very popular in this section if you do this..lol

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I think a more cleaner way is drill tiny holes the size of the speaker holes or slightly larger (just check the speaker holes and are too tiny). Just make sure you dont go too deep that you drill out the antennas. Maybe start of with 2 rows of 4 holes (depending how big the holes you want) on each side and center. I should patent this idea and sue anyone who copies!

Last edited:

mrokeefe

Feb 6, 2011
San Diego
I think, no. It doesn't need it. The window is already on the glass panel and just needs a solid connection.

Modded by MBOK

Erusman

Aug 21, 2011
Yakima, WA
I think, no. It doesn't need it. The window is already on the glass panel and just needs a solid connection.

Modded by MBOK

Yes, I been looking at AnandTech teardown. The pogo pins connect to the
front glass. Now my question is on the front glass there is that where the
antenna for WPS / GPS are at? If so then the aluminum back would have
nothing to interfere with. Antenna is on front glass piece.

Soooo.. pressure point theory of pogo pins not making contact against
copper connectors on front make sense on why some wifi / gps not working
as well. And some have fixed by pressing harder on that region.
_DSC8220_575px.jpg

Last edited:

PrimeTimeBro

Dec 29, 2011
Last few days I been debating to Exacto off top two inches of my primes aluminum shell. :eek:
with anything.

I really like this idea and think it just might work the key will be to make sure you located the exact right spot. If you do this let us know ASAP how turn by turn GPS navigation works and also if the range of your Wi-Fi increases;)

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Lol, I'd heat-gun the back and remove it long before taking an exacto knife to it!

I'll watch the thread, excuse me if I drop in laughing hysterically when you go right through some wires or straight into the antenna's you're attempting to help.

This is just my opinion, but if you're willing to void warranty and physically mod then you should be willing to go a tiny step further and fully disassemble for safer modding. Again, just the opinion of someone who's been waiting very impatiently to do exactly as he advises ^.^

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I'd fully do it if I knew how to open it properly. The fix is so simple its stupid.

Ifixit.com should do a step by step

Modded by MBOK

Someone should submit all the various threads n tear down pix to them. As this is kinda of a big issue. If ifixit got on it, it would generate alot of tech press. Would be good for both of us.

To the op, thinkn about it, might be better to take back plate off, solder connections then run some afterwards test. Then if you want you could still cut out an RF window on backplate n see how much better than just soldering connections that would bring.

I think sending all this info to ifixit would be a great idea.

Erusman

Aug 21, 2011
Yakima, WA
easier said then done and very risky exactoing one spot is a bit safer imo

Yep. Teardown shows the prime is separated in two halfs. Front is bezel
containing ips display. Back is where all the guts are at. Connected by
pogo pins. Looks like the bezel lifts out from the shell. The back is
solid. Just appears as if you could just pry around the fine line edge.

Reactions: -lukin-

mikevipe

Nov 26, 2011
Lol... Why dont you just remove the backing, if wifi improves there is your proof. Then drill a few small holes, solder on wired antenae extensions and lead then out of the holes your drilled. Now attach the wire to the back or around the edge of the outer casing. Sounds better to me then slicing apart your backing.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

parker7

Nov 8, 2010
cutting the back isn't a smart move. Remove the back would make more sense and test, then if you are going to cut, at least the back is off and you wont slice the wrong thing or part.

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to take the Prime apart.... why do you think exactly 0 people did it when the Prime first came out and the GPS issue was going crazy at the time and as far as I know no one on these boards has been able to take the Prime apart or has been willing to risk it we have only seen breakdowns from a handful of magazines/online sites.

Last edited:

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
The most ridiculous idea that I have ever heard. I realize that already people have pointed out that most of the Prime's gut's are actually attached to the back panel, but regardless.... just plain dumb!

I honestly don't mean to be rude. What the heck have you been smoking dude.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    with anything.

*** UPDATE ***
    When I first got my prime its WIFI was very weak, and its GPS didn't work. I was very fustrated that I spent $500 on a tablet that didn't work! And it had Light bleed. I thought that when ASUS released its ICS update the problems would be fixed. They weren't. My return period had expired from where I purchased the prime originally so I tried to find as much info as I could on the prime's problems. Everything from aluminum backplate interference to pogo pin problems. I was fustrated :mad: so my original idea was just to Exacto off the top two inches of the prime. Well, after coming to my sense and realizing this idea was nuts. (sorry one too many beers). I just decided to try and open the unopenable! After seeing Anandtech teardown of the prime http://www.anandtech.com/show/5286/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-teardown I made some plastic tools and decided to open it up! To my surprise it was really easy to open!

Pics of opening the prime

OpenPrime1.jpg
    OpenPrime2.jpg
    OpenPrime3.jpg
    OpenPrime4.jpg
    OpenPrime5.jpg
    OpenPrime6.jpg
    OpenPrime7.jpg
    OpenPrime8.jpg
    OpenPrime11.jpg

Thanks to XDA member Doktaphex for uploading these Youtube videos of him opening his own prime!

Pic of PCB (printed circuit board) Primary WIFI antenna having a flawed PCB design?
    When I opened my prime I found that ASUS included two wifi antenna PCB towards the top of the prime to pickup Wifi / GPS signal.
    The secondary wifi pcb was fine. However the primary wifi antenna's pcb had a design flaw. The pcb copper etching on the primary
    wifi antenna was not connected! Asus used pogo pins that transfered the wifi / gps signal from one side of the tablet to the other.
    These pogo pins would lay flat against the wifi pcb's copper pad. However on the the wifi pcb i pulled out of my tablet the signal
    never made its way from these copper pads to the top wifi antenna because the copper etching in the pcb was gapped! I tested
    and no conductivity was found!
    Is this the reason why ASUS pulled shipments when the prime was launched?
    Is this the reason why some peoples WIFI work and others dont?
    You be the judge.

FlawedWIFIPCB2.jpg

*** UPDATE ***

Ok here are the pics of my final mods. I removed both PCB Left and right Wifi/GPS antenna. I removed the pogo pins and drilled holes in the back of the aluminum backpanel. Holes where placed just below where pogo pins use to be. I then inserted some rubber gourmets around the drilled holes. Soldered on some wires to where pogo pins use to be and feed them through the rubber gourmets.

I have a MoKo Slim-Fit case so this mod works perfect for me. I can just tuck the wires behind the prime. And never even see the mod.

Awesome results. 32kbps/5kbps using speedtest for the wifi. Getting 20-30dBM in Wifi Analyzer. I can walk all around my house and get excellent wifi. I can walk out 50 feet in my yard and still pull all bars!
    (Using Asus RT-N66U Dual-band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router)

GPS works perfect. Using GPS Test it gets a signal within 5 seconds and 15+ birds, accuracy great!

Light bleed fixed for me. Just messing around with screws on display.

FinalPrime1.jpg
    FinalPrime3.jpg
    FinalPrime6.jpg

***Update***
    I finally got my Tyco Antenna the other day and tried them out. Unfortunately they did not work out. I soldered them to where pogo pins use to be and tried placing them all over in the tablet. I couldn't get any good WIFI results. The only area I had OK results was where the original WIFI PCB where at. (50% of wifi I am now getting from just some external wire antenna.) I then positioned the Tyco Antenna to the back of the prime. The aluminum back of the prime is the problem. It just block/interferes with everything. Whenever you have something even close to the back of the prime it interferes with it. I got fustrated, but maybe someone will have better results.

***Update***
    Ok, after all the mods in last week+ I found a little method that work best for external wire antenna. Its called the "Caprisun straw method." lol.
    Whenever you place anything close enough behind or back of prime. The aluminum backplate interferes with the signal. Even with external wires when I tucked them behind the prime the signal would degrade some. So what is the "Caprisun straw method." Well my kids drink alot of Caprisun's from COSTCO. While my 8yr old left an empty one out I had an idea with the straw. (see pic).

I decided to place my wires in the straw. As I pulled the straw up and down my WIFI Increased considerable! Why? because I was getting signal away from that darn aluminum backplate. You can use whatever straw or color you want. But the whole idea is now it is pretty quick and easy to adjust your WIFI range with the straw. When I am done playing with my tablet I simply tuck the straw back behind the tablet in case. GPS you can have a straw on as well and just push it up out of case. (GPS results are amazing with this little fake wifi antenna).

Strawmethod.jpg

***Update***
    Ok I finished my final mod. I made myself some mini wifi antenna and placed them in my case. The mini wifi antenna are composed of a thin straw surrounded by heat shrink tubing. Capped with a plastic hole plug. Wires that come out of my tablet are inserted in the straw. Heated with lighter and sealed.

The mini wifi antenna I can pull up or down out of my case to extend the WIFI range. I am pulling three bars at more than 50 feet away. Amazing!!
    (Charter Ultra 100mbs connection, ASUS RT-N66U Router : 32kbps / 5.5kbps Speedtest @ 50 feet)

I had to laugh a little because my prime kinda looks like a little android with the antenna stickin out. :D

FinalMod.jpg
    FinalMod2.jpg

**Added 2-19-12 thanks to XDA member pileot and other Modders whom have found out that:**
    IF YOU HAVE ANY ANTENNA / WIRE AFFIXED DIRECTLY NEXT TO / ALONG THE BACK CASE THE INTERFERENCE WILL BLOCK NEARLY ALL SIGNAL.
    If you have any sort of wire / pigtail / antenna AWAY from the back of the case, you will get amazing reception.

***UPDATE***
    lol I finally figured out what this switch was for. Located up above headphone
    jack. Its the ON/OFF switch for mobo. So be sure to turn off your mobo power before you solder on any mods.:p

AsusPrimeSwitch.jpg

***UPDATE***
    Ok, I just finished up another mod to my prime. My goal was to be able to mount the prime in a vehicle and use it on the road. So i needed the best WIFI and GPS I could get. And I did it!

Meet Optimus Prime!
    attachment.php

AsusPrimeSMA2.jpg
    AsusPrimeSMA3.jpg
    AsusPrimeSMA1.jpg

I replaced the old mod with external SMA male connectors and was able to mount on some external WIFI antenna. Large ones atm. But I have some small 2.4ghz stubby antenna on order.

fbts25024smra725.jpg

I still need to mod my leather case to be able to insert the SMA connectors in it. However, I noticed with just the SMA connectors sticking out and NO WIFI antenna attached I still get good WIFI
    (Both Factory WIFI PCB removed with soldered connection to SMA's)

The WIFI range on this thing is AMAZING! Full bars every place in my house and even out in my yard! 50+ feet away from my router. I think its limited to the range of my router more than anything now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok here are some pics.

OpenPrime1.jpg
    OpenPrime2.jpg
    OpenPrime3.jpg
    OpenPrime4.jpg
    OpenPrime5.jpg
    OpenPrime6.jpg
    OpenPrime7.jpg
    OpenPrime8.jpg
    OpenPrime9.jpg
    OpenPrime10.jpg
    OpenPrime11.jpg
    Oh snap, you did it..lmfao. document everything n you should make a video on your modifications. It'll probably end up being most popular Prime video.

You going tl put an external antennae on? Are you going to solder pogo pin connections? Keep up posted. Anxiously await the pix n results. Kudos to you for taking the leap.

Thanks. Well, i have it next to me atm. I am taking pics via my phone. I will
    have to upload those later. But I actually have the thing running while it is
    cracked open! Doing some test now. I didn't really think it was going to be
    that easy to open up. Trick is starting from the top and using nothing but
    plastic tools. (Wedge method of pry and move further down). Plus you don't
    need to open this all the way.

I have a few wires I am going to solder on the pogo pins. Right now with it
    open the front antenna arent connected. But it is getting same wifi db via
    wireless analyzer. With the antenna not even connected! something screwed
    there.

I have some wires I temp touched the pogos with. (Wire leads are about 5
    inches in lengh) I touched wifi pogo with one lead wire and db in wifi analyzer
    jumped from -70ish to 45! Bars on fan went all the way up! Havent done
    speedtest yet.

I touched GPS pogo with other lead wire. I started GPS test. I never got
    anything no birds or sats. Soon as I touched the GPS pogo. Within 5 sec I had
    like 13 birds in view. AMAZING!!!!

Sorry sort of excited here. lol
    But i better stop typing on here and get back to work!
    I've made a quick video of opening up the Prime and Closing it the easiest way. It's uploading to youtube at the moment, and I'll put up a link when it's available to watch.

OPENING THE PRIME:

CLOSING THE PRIME:

I remember. The backplate was an easy scapegoat as its obvious. AS you might have noticed, certain people making sure to stay clear. Can't wait to see how he mods this and his test results. Since Anandtech or nobody will do this kind of teardown with modifications n testing, this is all we got to go on. First priority would be finding a solution. The lesser priority would be proving who's theories were right or wrong. Although it will be sweet once ours come out victorious..lmfao its all good though because check this out. If people would've just hoped on backplate bandwagon n never mentioned pogo pins, this thread may have never surfaced or been thought of. So its good for all that there's other theories and possible different things to blame. The world would be a boring place if everyone thought exactly the same things and agreed on everything.

Exactly. You have a way with words :)
    Well did my run to radioshack. Got some alligator clips and other goodies.
    I hooked up two red clips to wifi pogo's.
    I hooked up one black clip to gps.
    I ran various tests. Wifi and GPS on. Everything is on par with all my other
    tablets. 32mb 5mb wifi. GPS is up and running all birds 5 to 10 seconds.
    (I know the alligator clips aren't the greatest but it gives a signal)
    Bluetooth? Well, bluetooth still had problems (driver issue?) ZERO improvement.
    I streamed a 1080p video using Diceplayer and bluetooth
    headphones. Frames and lag skipping all over the place. Soon as I turned
    bluetooth off, video ran smooth as it should. A major wifi / bluetooth fallout
    issue. {I am running ICS latest. firmware} so maybe something screwed up
    with ICS. I am sure a firmware fix would solve the issue.

Sorry for making baby steps. I know you guys want as much tests as possbile.
    With kids and wife nagging.. it gets complicated. lol

Tests I want to run.
    1) Wifi range test
    2) Solder pogos to factory wifi antenna.. (snap together see what happens)
    to test aluminum issue.
    3) GPS turn by turn
    4) Personal mod. hmmmm perhaps drill hole to connect pogos to a PCB mount.
    possible antenna jack recepticle. Hook on external antenna if I ever wanted too.
    Openprime12.jpg
    Openprime11.jpg