Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only)

Search This thread

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
This is an automated nooter file to streamline the rooting process for the NookColor. This has been tested by myself and others.

Thanks To: pokey9000 for nooter, Mistar Muffin for Market and GTalk Fix, clockworx for the hacked framework.jar used to get androidID, mastapsi for testing and coding, lewellyn for coding, [mbm] for ABI Fix, Suteru for the new custom Boot Animation,Hotaru for the Gingerbread keyboard, rpollard00 for DroidX keyboard with bigger font, bpk for Soft Keys, Ben74 for NookColor Tools which enables Non Market Installs, Freenode's #nookcolor chat for dealing with my crap and checking my code.

Please Note: If I'm using your app within AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.

DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE 1.0.0

There are a few bugs before I can release 3.x.x that need to be worked out.

This is the only officially supported AutoNooter by those working on AN
Changes:
Added: Gingerbread Keyboard.
Deleted: YouTube.apk from /system/app
Update: Busybox has whoami
Update: Installs Soft Keys 3.0.0

What it does:
Installs su and Superuser.apk
Installs Busybox
Installs Softkeys 3.0.0
Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
Installs Calendar and Calculator.
Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
Enables Live Wallpapers
Enables Android Market and Gmail.
App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Still Needs:
Custom Kernel to display something while working.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.0.1 you must do a complete wipe.
* You must update to 1.0.1 to use AutoNooter 2.12.25 Instructions Here.

1 You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
2 You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
3 You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
4 You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the NC.
5 You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Let's get started:

1 Download Auto-Nooter from here: auto-nooter-2-12-25.img.zip
2 Linux: Unzip and use dd if=auto-nooter-2-12-25.img of=/dev/sdcard
2 Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
2 Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
3 Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
4 Insert AutoNooter SDcard into your NOOKcolor.
5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
6 Your NookColor will reboot when it's done.

That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.

7 Upon boot unlock your screen.
8 At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
9 Enable Location Services when given the option.
10 Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from "Extras".
11 Click the Menu button (The one RIGHT of the Up Arrow).
12 Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
13 Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
14 Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
15 Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

16 Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
17 If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
18 Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

Complete Wipe:
1 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
2 Factory Reset > Wipes /data
You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.

Last edited:

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
Is it safe to try this after already having done Nooter 0.2?

The manual market install hasn't done the trick for me. Every time I have to restage the thing, if I'm not at home, I have to run out and find a wi-fi point to re-register it (argh).

Last edited:
Reactions: Testcase72

Pinesal

Jan 28, 2009
I already have the market hack working but I don't have calendar and live wallpapers and some other stuff listed.

So just to be extra clear, this is save to just install over what I have already?

EDIT: WOW, this worked really WELL! I didn't mess up my already done hacks

And a little surprise in in store! It has the NEW market installed!

Last edited:

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
Wow. I've got an Android setup wizard. Should I run through it? I haven't seen this before on the NC.

"Learn how to use your LogicPD Zoom2"

johnopsec

Dec 7, 2010
I dunno. Some people don't tether and probably don't want to hassle switching back and forth. I think that one is kinda optional right now. Probably better off waiting for a good, permanent ad-hoc / infrastructure fix.

When installed, it defaults to the "stock" Infrastructure (AP) only wpa_supplicant that shipped with the NC. This simply gives them the option off switching to ADHOC mode if they need it.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I've been watching the progress on adhoc and it's currently unstable. As soon as there's a more stable adhoc solution it will most definitely be put in a future version.

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
Same server error as before for the Market.

"! Attention"

A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen.

Anything else I should do?

This is the same thing that occurred with the manual Market enable process.

I'm convinced there's still something wrong with this whole process for some of us. I know there's 3-4 people getting the same server error as me for the market.

Should I try the manual editing of the packages.xml file?

Last edited:

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
You can always try to do a factory fallback then rerun autonooter or go look in freenode.net's #nookcolor, others have confirmed that Market works with this so there may be another issue someone in there can help you figure out.

There's been some suggestion that the androidID may not have been properly create, this may of happened if you messed with the db that holds it.

Last edited:

greenmky

Aug 4, 2010
Midland, MI
You can always try to do a factory fallback then rerun autonooter or go look in freenode.net's #nookcolor, others have confirmed that Market works with this so there may be another issue someone in there can help you figure out.

Yeah, there's a problem with the process still somehow. This is the same results as the manual process.

This is much easier though and faster to redo. Maybe they'll find the bug in the process for those of us that it doesn't work for.

EDIT: Just a note. The Auto-Nooter didn't change my packages.xml file to remove these lines:

<sigs count="n">
<cert index="n" />
</sigs>

Not sure if it was supposed to...but it's in the manual install instructions.

Last edited:

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks to auto-nooter I was able to get farther than I did before with nooter .2 version. However, I've got a new problem.

After rebooting the NookColor, it started the Android tutorial. Then, when I tried to set up my Google account, I couldn't click on the "Enter Account" option since I already have a Google account. When I tried the enter account in the future option, Android seemed to immediately crash on me and the NookColor went to the normal B/N interface.

I power cycled the NookColor. However, now it immediately goes into the B/N interface, and I never see Android.

Any ideas?

Robert

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Well you were suppose to skip the entering info so that it'd ask you if you want to enable location. I'm not sure if it's possible or not to get SetupWizard running again. I don't know anyone that's tried either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an automated nooter file to streamline the rooting process for the NookColor. This has been tested by myself and others.

Thanks To: pokey9000 for nooter, Mistar Muffin for Market and GTalk Fix, clockworx for the hacked framework.jar used to get androidID, mastapsi for testing and coding, lewellyn for coding, [mbm] for ABI Fix, Suteru for the new custom Boot Animation,Hotaru for the Gingerbread keyboard, rpollard00 for DroidX keyboard with bigger font, bpk for Soft Keys, Ben74 for NookColor Tools which enables Non Market Installs, Freenode's #nookcolor chat for dealing with my crap and checking my code.

Please Note: If I'm using your app within AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.

DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE 1.0.0

There are a few bugs before I can release 3.x.x that need to be worked out.

This is the only officially supported AutoNooter by those working on AN
    Changes:
    Added: Gingerbread Keyboard.
    Deleted: YouTube.apk from /system/app
    Update: Busybox has whoami
    Update: Installs Soft Keys 3.0.0

What it does:
    Installs su and Superuser.apk
    Installs Busybox
    Installs Softkeys 3.0.0
    Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    Installs Calendar and Calculator.
    Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
    Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
    Enables Live Wallpapers
    Enables Android Market and Gmail.
    App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Still Needs:
    Custom Kernel to display something while working.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.0.1 you must do a complete wipe.
    * You must update to 1.0.1 to use AutoNooter 2.12.25 Instructions Here.

1 You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
    2 You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
    3 You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
    4 You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the NC.
    5 You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Let's get started:

1 Download Auto-Nooter from here: auto-nooter-2-12-25.img.zip
    2 Linux: Unzip and use dd if=auto-nooter-2-12-25.img of=/dev/sdcard
    2 Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
    2 Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
    3 Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
    4 Insert AutoNooter SDcard into your NOOKcolor.
    5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
    6 Your NookColor will reboot when it's done.

That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.

7 Upon boot unlock your screen.
    8 At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
    9 Enable Location Services when given the option.
    10 Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from "Extras".
    11 Click the Menu button (The one RIGHT of the Up Arrow).
    12 Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
    13 Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
    14 Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
    15 Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

16 Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
    17 If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
    18 Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

Complete Wipe:
    1 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
    2 Factory Reset > Wipes /data
    You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.
    I have put together a working Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 for rom version 1.1. This is the clockworx “non-ugly” hack, so all credit goes to him for originally putting this mod together.

To put this together, I removed the needed file from the 1.0.1 framework.jar and installed it into the stock sideload_update 1.1 framework.jar. For all future knowledge, the needed file from the framework.jar is [android/telephony/TelephonyManager.smali].

To install, you will just follow the same directions as for the last one. I just did this myself so I have no knowledge of long term use. For my personal experience so far, YouTube closed on me the first time I went to it, but worked the second time that I clicked the icon. After I had completed the whole process, YouTube died on me again so I just installed the attached EVO HQ app.
    The script to remove YouTube and install the EVO HQ

Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb uninstall com.google.android.youtube
    adb push YouTube.apk /system/app
    adb reboot

This next problem seems that it might be a common on 1.1, ADB will not stay active after a reboot or unplug of the cable. I have experienced this problem while trying to use the original nooter and supernooter. To enable each time you want to use it, you will have to go into NookColor Tools/All Settings/Development/USB debugging, you will have to uncheck the box and then recheck it. This seems to be a problem with the original script that has been used to enable ADB not working with version 1.1, or B&N trying to keep us from doing it.

NOOTER
    Let's not be so testy - many of the instructions here are unclear (and many others are asking similar questions)

It was meant as a joke. :D

But, the answer is still yes.

Optional but recommended (by me): Before starting this process, go through the two-step "Factory Fresh" process to put your NOOKcolor back to a clean state.

Prerequisites:

(1) You must have a Youtube account.
    (2) You must have a GMail account.
    (3) Your GMail account must be linked to your Youtube account.
    (4) You must have registered your NOOKcolor (gone through the B&N setup screen and activated it.)

Howto:

(1) Download the Auto-nooter image from the link in the first post of this thread.

(2) Use dd (or a windows equiv) to write the image to a spare SD card. (You will lose all data on the SD card!)

dd if=./image-file-name.img of=/dev/sd?
    (sd? = your SD card. It is a single letter with no number after it as in sdc, sdd, etc.)

(3) If the USB cable is connected to your NOOKcolor, disconnect it.

(4) Power your NOOKcolor off completely.

(5) Insert the SD card to which you have written the Auto-nooter image into the NOOKcolor.

(6) Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (The NOOKcolor will automagically power on when you do this.)

(7) Go drink a soda, coffee, smoke a cigarette, whatever for a few minutes.

(8) When at least a few minutes (just to be safe since some people have rushed this step) have passed, disconnect the USB cable from the NOOKcolor.

(9) Hold the power button on the NOOKcolor down for 10-15 seconds.

(10) Remove the SD card from the NOOKcolor.

(11) Power your NOOKcolor back on.

Congratulations. If you have followed these instructions, your NOOKcolor is now Auto-nootered. :D

(12) When the NOOKcolor boots up, unlock it. You will see the standard Android setup screen.

(13) Go through setup but, when asked to register or log in to your GMail account, SKIP that step.

(14) When given the option in setup, Enable location services.

(15) Verify that your wifi is connected. If not, remedy that situation before continuing.

(16) Once you're complete with the setup screen and have verified wifi connectivity, open the "Extras" drawer and launch Youtube.

(17) Click the Menu button.

(18) Click "My Channel".

(19) Log in with your GMail username/password that you have linked to your Youtube account. (Don't worry about the garbage and the network error message. If you get logged in, that's all that matters!)

(20) Once you've successfully authenticated to Youtube with your GMail credentials, close Youtube.

(21) Launch GMail.

(22) Tell it to sync your account.

(23) Open Market and accept the terms of service.

(24) You should be done.

In *some* instances, Youtube will now flake out on you when you try to run it. That's no big deal. Simply uninstall/reinstall Youtube. After the re-install of youtube, do NOT try to log into Youtube.

That should do it. You should be all set up now. Install the launcher of your choice (unless you like the crap that B&N has stock!) and go to town with your Auto-nootered NOOKcolor. :D

Hope this helps.

John - your friendly neighborhood e-thug! :eek:
    Keep an eye out AutoNooter 2.12.15 coming to a First Post near you.
    The solution was (in my case) not to use the commercial WinImage but instead a freeware that can be found here...

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

Download the latest version and you should hopefully find it to be much easier.

Then after successfully writing the image to the SD, I connected it to the computer and turned the nook off after inserting the MicroSD into the NC. After it had completely powered down, I waited 10 seconds then turned it back on again. I waited several minutes following that and it rebooted having worked 100%.