[Q] Dell Streak 5 constantly rebooting with flashing lights

Search This thread
Feb 5, 2012
Hello. I'm a 55 year-old newbie to the wonderful world of Android, courtesy of my kid's continuously-rebooting Dell Streak 5 (AT&T, USA). It all started with the Froyo 2.2 OTA update in late 2011. The Streak would not boot after that update completed (WiFi - FIOS). We called Dell, and they advised that we Factory Reset it. That worked, and we thought all was well. Now several months later and 2000 factory resets later, my kid requested an iPhone for Christmas, and I re-claimed the Streak. I called Dell last week, and of course they wasted several hours of my time, ultimately telling me that my phone was out of warranty, but that for $249 I could buy a new phone. I advised several reps and a supervisor that Dell's OTA 2.2 update caused the problem, and that I should not be charged for any resolution to that problem. End of that story - here I am, after spending all of Saturday and most of Sunday attempting to downgrade back to 1.6. Here's what I have done:
I used SuperOneClick and successfully rooted the phone
I have used many recovery mods, ALL of which seem to lead to a black screen after selecting option 2. However, the Clockworkmod "alternate" recovery method did work. I downloaded a 4399 stock recovery zipped file, copied it to the Streak's SD card, then renamed the entire zipped file to "Update.zip". Then I used FastBoot, and flashed the Clockworkmod alternate recovery "recovery.alt.img" to the Streak. I used fastboot to reboot the Streak, then held the two Volume buttons, selected Option 2, and made my way through the awkward menu - but ultimately I was able to install "Update.zip" successfully. Upon the reboot, I am stuck with the Dell logo. I have tried factory resetting at this point, starting again from "scratch", only to return to the same old story: stuck at Dell logo. I read somewhere that it could take 10 minutes for the Streak to boot, but I have waited for 30 minutes plus.

An hour ago I was too frustrated to continue trying to downgrade to 1.6, so I read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487. I used the clockwork 3.0.1.9 recovery method, and attempted to upgrade to 2.3.?. This was not an "alternate" method (which had not worked in two days), but after flashing the recovery.img to the Streak, and using the 2.3.? "Update.pkg" on the SD card, the Streak did begin to verify the package - then it started the update, then - REBOOT. The first time this happened, I waited for 30 minutes, thinking that the upgrade was happening in the background while displaying the Dell logo, as Windows updates sometimes do. But then I yanked the battery, and started that process again. The next time and every subsequent attempt to perform this upgrade results in a reboot as the "verifying package" is occurring.

At this point I feel as though I am spinning my wheels, so I'm putting out an All Points Bulletin for some advice and/or help.

Thanks in advance! John in Dallas

Feb 5, 2012
I did not realize that thread was for the Streak 7. Thanks for pointing that out. I have tried several others, but nothing like what you have provided.

Being new to this technology, I have not yet quite grasped all the terminology and theory. Can I mix and match the recovery images with the Update packages? For example, where "TheManii" states that StreakMod must be pre-installed, then he provides a (407) base_v1.zip , is it OK for me to use the Clockworkmod recovery.alt.img (which has seemingly worked well on my Streak) with his base_v1.zip? Or MUST I use the StreakMod recovery image in conjunction with his base_v1.zip?

I assume that I am supposed to follow the same procedure as before:
- Save the base_v1.zip to the Streak's SD card - renamed to "Update.zip"
- use "fastboot mode" to transfer the recovery.img from PC to the Streak
- boot the Streak into recovery mode, select option 2
- then select the recovery option to load from the "Update.zip" on the SD

How long should it take to install the base and the update?

I understand that the "base" is just that, and I will also need to flash the "update", but the other "bloat" stuff is optional.

I will give this a try shortly - then re-post. Thank you!

Dr Doppio

Jun 11, 2011
I am not the expert here, but from what I've gathered you need the correct recovery image only when you are flashing an official update, since those updates come as encrypted ".pkg" files. I think (please check also the threads on flashing modified ROMs) that ROMs that end on ".zip" are not encrypted and don't need a special recovery file. I hope someone with actual experience on this can confirm if I am correct.

Edit: I just notice that the thread I linked to specifies that installing the matching "pkg" is a prerequisite to installing the "zip" -- this is admittedly more complex than I thought it would be. You are probably better off just installing one of the stock ROMs first just to recover your Streak -- I had recently updated to the 407 (Korean) Gingerbread ROM and like it very much; there are instructions of puttiing it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1416718

Last edited:

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
John,

To flash a stock ROM you need a stock recovery.

To flash a custom ROM you need StreakMod Recovery.

Even if the files are not altered any ROM packaged as a zip is a "custom" rom.

To get you started (and get your Streak working) you should flash a stock ROM. I recommend BB 351 as the most stable stock ROM.

• Put the pkg file for 351 on the root of your SD card named update.pkg
  • Use fastboot to flash the 351 recovery,
  • Use fastboot reboot to reboot the Streak and as it reboots hold both volume buttons to get to recovery
  • Select option 2 to install 351.
If you decide to use a different stock ROM the instructions are the same, just use the correct files.

If you really want Gingerbread then flash the latest stock GB ROM and then install the DSC version of GB. See the DSC thread in the development section for info.

Feb 5, 2012
I've been looking for a downloadable "BB 351" since you posted - cannot locate it. I found the base 351 zipped file, but not the "pkg". Any hints?

Also, when I first attempted that "407 - base_v1.zip" installation, I used clockworkmod, named the base_v1.zip to "Update.zip", and it worked to a small degree. After confirming that the installation was successful, I rebooted the Streak, and after 3 minutes I saw a "O" logo with "elloh" beneath it. Unfortunately it never entered into a "home page" - but rather the Streak reverted to the Dell logo, and that was that.

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
You might try the links in my signature to find what you need - the wiki is a good place to start.

Edit: the reason you had no success with the zip you flashed is because a ROM flashed from a zip is incomplete. That is why you need to flash the stock rom it is based on first. The ROMs packaged as zips do not install some needed system files, that is why you see instructions to install those first.

You have more reading to do before you understand the process of updating/modding the Streak.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2012
I did locate the BB 351 package just seconds after posting that I could not find it. I've now bookmarked it. I continue to have not-so-good luck.

On the "407" Base_v1.zip installation, suggested by the first poster, the installation went further than any other attempt. I actually saw the "O" with "olleh" beneath it onscreen for a few minutes, but then, poof, it was gone - replaced by the Dell logo. If I am successful, will the Dell logo still be displayed, or will the "O" or some other logo replace the Dell logo upon a successful installation?

After downloading the 351 package and corresponding recovery.img, I reached one point where the status indicator bar reached 100%, but then everything apparently froze. Rather than panic and quickly yank the battery, I left it alone for 15 more minutes. There was no change, so I removed the battery and started again. Now, after many more attempts, I see the "Verifying Update", and then the Streak reboots. Each time I leave it for several minutes in hope that it is installing the Update in the background. But nothing happens. Just reboot after reboot - with Dell logo.

I know that I am very close, so I am not giving up. But I am worn out - PLUS the Super Bowl is starting right now. I'll pick this up again tomorrow night.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please post - remembering that I'm a newbie and may not understand your technical slang, although I am a Telecom Engineer now working exclusively with VoIP, so I am technical. It's been fun tinkering so far, but it would be nice to reach a happy ending! Cheers.
John - North Texas

Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for that tip, Marvin02. I do understand. Applying the base was step 1. I did not perform step 2: applying the update. Without the update, the base could not "launch". Unfortunately today I have returned to the wonderful world of IP Telephony, Gateways, UC, and Linux. At this moment I have no battery for the Streak, as I gave it to my daughter during the Christmas break. Yesterday I was using my son's battery, but he returned to college yesterday evening. I ordered a battery last Thursday, and it is due to arrive today. I was shocked to discover that the Streak cannot power on with only external power - it requires a battery.

I also know that I have merely scratched the surface of this technology. After I recover this Streak, I plan to install a ROM Manager, perform a backup, then experiment with other mods. But right now the mission is to revive the Streak paperweight.

Thanks!

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
When you tried to install BB 407 you were installing a gingerbread ROM.

BB351 is a Froyo ROM. There have been some reports of problems reverting from GB to Froyo.

I suggest that you use fastboot to flash:

1. The recovery for BB 351 or BB 360
  2. amss.mbn
  3. dsp1.mb1
Then reboot to recovery and try installing the update.pkg.

For some reason some Streaks need the baseband files flashed first before the Froyo ROM will install properly. This happened with my Streak when reverting from GB.

tk161900

Apr 6, 2012
Missouri
blackscreen after selecting option 2

When i select option 2 from the recovery screen it is just a black screen. is there a way to fix this?

Veerasaksue

Apr 23, 2012
upgrade to Longthorn 2.6 is the most one I like

I flash the ROM to Longthorn 2.6. Strictly follow up the step.
My Dell Streak 5 now faster than before, no Dell Stage respone error anymore.
flashing light also resolved (read the instruction in [ROM] Longthorn 2.6 topic.)
:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might try the links in my signature to find what you need - the wiki is a good place to start.

Edit: the reason you had no success with the zip you flashed is because a ROM flashed from a zip is incomplete. That is why you need to flash the stock rom it is based on first. The ROMs packaged as zips do not install some needed system files, that is why you see instructions to install those first.

You have more reading to do before you understand the process of updating/modding the Streak.