[MINIGUIDE][CM7|Stock] V6 Supercharger for the 2x (Smoothness & Snappyness)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011

Attention: This guide is for an older version of the V6 SuperCharger.
This doesn't mean that you can not use this guide as a reference or interesting read, but the new script has some more options which aren't covered here. You have to read the instructions within V6 carefully.

I did a lot of testing some weeks ago and now that I finally have some time I'd like to share what I got so far.
The V6 Supercharger is a tweak skript by zeppelinrox which works really great on my 2x. It feels smoother and snappier than ever - and multitasking is damn fast (and I never felt that CM7.2 was unsnappy.. but there is a difference now).

I won't talk a lot about what it is and how it does work - read the original thread. It has an even better effect on low spec phones, but it does improve the snappyness on high-end phones, too (and is even used on Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus phones!)
[Script][MOD][U9RC6.1] Sticky 'n Smooth ISCream-=V6 SUPERCHARGER!=-The ONLY RAM Fixer
All credits go to zeppelinrox for this great script!

Here's a quote for what it does:
What's it do?

It makes your phone FAST... super snappy with better multitasking!
It rearranges and fixes the OOM Groupings and Priorites and lowmemorykiller values.

So basically, it's a COMPLETE MEMORY MANAGEMENT FIX!

It's the ONLY one of it's kind :D

NO LAUNCHER REDRAWS, faster than ever, multitasking is better... why?
Because it works with the lowmemorykiller and letting it work the way it's meant to work.

Warnings:
  • This is not for ICS! Go to the 2nd post in the thread linked above - there are instructions for ICS (CM9) - I don't use CM9 yet and don't want to include instructions here, which I haven't tested thoroughly.
  • You shouldn't use this with custom kernels (like vadonkas) I guess - it might break some tweaks from the kernel devs.
  • I tested this with CM7.2 (temasek KANG) with the stock CM-kernel and it is working GREAT! It should make an even greater difference on Stock - please report!
  • I tested lots of options and never had a single problem.. but you should do a nandroid backup! There is always a slight chance that something goes wrong.

Instructions:
(type all options without quotes.. I hope that's obvious)..

• Go to Settings - Cyanogenmod - Performance and make sure that "Lock home in memory" is not checked. If it is: uncheck it and restart (don't worry, the tweak will take over with a better solution than a permanent lock in memory).
  • Download the "V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update9_RC6.1.sh.txt" from the original thread or from the attachments here and put it to the root directory of your SD card.
  • Open "Terminal Emulator"
  • Type "su" (and approve the Superuser request)
  • Type "cd /sdcard"
  • Type "sh V6*" (this is cAsE-sensitive)
  • The first time "wizard" will guide you through the installation process.
  • for the scrolling speed "2" is a good choice for the first time
  • type "b" for the build.prop option
  • type "y" to integrate /init.rc
  • I disabled the "AWESOME" animation (type "y") because it would get annoying after waiting for it to finish after the 3rd time.. sorry for that zeppelinrox ;)
  • press the enter key
  • now type "10" (Quick V6 Custo-OOMizer option)
  • type "y" to use the calculated values
  • press enter twice
  • type "29" to reboot and wipe dalvik cache. The restart will take a while, be patient, that's normal!
  • that's it!

There's a "quick walkthrough" in the second post - together with the best options (at least for me) for the older update 8.

Again: All credit to zeppelinrox - he has a donation link in his thread! If you like it, donate to him please :)

Last edited:

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011
Quick walkthrough - commands only (update 9 RC6.1):
("type Enter key" or "type any key" not mentioned)
Code:
su
sh /sdcard/V6*
b
y
y
y

------------------

Instructions for the "older" update 8:
  • Go to Settings - Cyanogenmod - Performance and make sure that "Lock home in memory" is not checked. If it is uncheck it, restart the device and recheck
    (don't worry, the tweak will take over - I didn't have a single launcher redraw).
  • Download the "V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update8.sh.txt" from the original thread or from the attachments here and put it to the root directory of your SD card.
  • Type "su" (and approve the Superuser request) (without quotes.. I hope that's obvious)
  • Type "cd /sdcard"
  • Type "0", "1", "2", or "3" to set how fast the text will scrool. "2" is a good selection for the first time.
  • Choose "9"
  • Type "16" (your device will restart without further warning!)

Last edited:
Reactions: pasquiNello

TweetyPeety

Recognized Themer
Aug 22, 2010
there is already a update 9, which works perfect on the speed, but I don't see great improvements between Chuck Norris Edition with and without V6. Think Chuck Norris is already so awesome.

P.S: really easy to set up, just download Script Manager from the Market, open it, click on SU and open up this Script, everything else will be explained through the MENU

Wadka

Jan 26, 2012
Bremen
I know it's not ready yet, but I'm already psyched about it :-D
I already have a question about it.

If I run this skript is it suggested to change minfree values?

I have mine set on 16-24-32-90-100-110 right now. Thats pretty heavy I think, but Setiron suggested those values.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

there is already a update 9, which works perfect on the speed, but I don't see great improvements between Chuck Norris Edition with and without V6. Think Chuck Norris is already so awesome.

P.S: really easy to set up, just download Script Manager from the Market, open it, click on SU and open up this Script, everything else will be explained through the MENU

Hey, can you tell us how long you've been using this?
And can you tell us where you actually saw the improvement?

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011

Yup but update 9 is still a RC. I know it's pretty stable but haven't tested it yet, will do that over the weekend and update the instructions if everything works fine.

You're correct - the Chuck Norris ROM does use a lot of tweaks, too - this is mainly focused to non-tweaked CM7 and Stock ROMs :)

Last edited:

julianosplendido

Oct 15, 2010
Munich
Wow, thanks very much, my device feels superfast right now!
Do i have to repeat this procedure everytime i flash an cm update, e.g. a kang?

vadonka

Jul 25, 2007
Debrecen
this script only advantage the bulletproof/hard to kill launcher for as, but since the o2x is a highend phone the launcher reload fast, probably dont even noticed that and if you have a memory hungry launcher probably not a bad thing if this is not stuck in the memory, so its not really necessary this. bulletproof the launcher is good thing in an old phone like moto milestone (this script originally made for that phone by the way)

the memory management is not so good, the autokiller memory optimizer app do a much better memory management and its user friendly.

also this script minfree values is not optimized for the o2x.

I'd rather not use overall, but its your choice guys

Last edited:

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011
this script only advantage the bulletproof/hard to kill launcher for as, but since the o2x is a highend phone the launcher reload fast, probably dont even noticed that and if you have a memory hungry launcher probably not a bad thing if this is not stuck in the memory, so its not really necessary this. bulletproof the launcher is good thing in an old phone like moto milestone (this script originally made for that phone by the way)

the memory management is not so good, the autokiller memory optimizer app do a much better memory management and its user friendly.

I cannot agree in all points.
First of all V6 won't lock the launcher in memory (unlike the CM method!).
Then it will tweak more aspects in terms of memory management than just the "harder to kill launcher" - more on that in the official post. Last but not least - the phone is a highend one, but it lacks some memory (1GB would have been great). And it seems that it does help quite a lot, here.
But of course you're correct that it might not be the "best of all" solutions for the 2x - but I can feel quite a difference while using V6. For Stock LG and CM7 it seems to be a good enhancement - I don't mind if people here use it or not, I'm really happy with this solution right now. Just thought might be worse sharing as there are many threads for V6 for other phones (even the SGS II!!), but not for the 2x.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S.: I havent tested your newest kernel with the tweak scripts - maybe it will even blow me away more if the values are more optimized for the 2x :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wadka

vadonka

Jul 25, 2007
Debrecen
First of all V6 won't lock the launcher in memory (like the CM method!).
Then it will tweak more aspects in terms of memory management than just the "harder to kill launcher" - more on that in the official post. Last but not least - the phone is a highend one, but it lacks some memory (1GB would have been great). And it seems that it does help quite a lot, here.
But of course you're correct that it might not be the "best of all" solutions for the 2x - but I can feel quite a difference while using V6. For Stock LG and CM7 it seems to be a good enhancement - I don't mind if people here use it or not, I'm really happy with this solution right now. Just thought might be worse sharing as there are many threads for V6 for other phones (even the SGS II!!), but not for the 2x.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S.: I havent tested your newest kernel with the tweak scripts - maybe it will even blow me away more if the values are more optimized for the 2x :)

just look into this supercharger script and see what is really doing :)

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
I'll wait for ICS version of the script :p
ICS is done. See post #2 of my OP.

Will the REAL vadonka please stand up?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14327296&highlight=supercharger#post14327296
zeppelinrox: i use i&f 2.2 and now i installed your supercharger script v6, with the optiom oom fix and htk launcher. well, now the rom running even smoother than before. great job :)
lulz...

btw I'm sure you are totally unfamiliar with the newest incarnations where the values are calculated according the ram available on any device.

SO IT"S ALWAYS OPTIMIZED FOR THE DEVICE IT'S RUNNING ON.

If anything, bulletproof is BETTER suited for devices with more ram - since they can more easily do this without detrimental effects since they do have more ram.

Nothing you say adds up.

vadonka

Jul 25, 2007
Debrecen
look, your script working superb on my old milestone, when i write this post what you quoted here i had the milestone not the o2x. but with o2x honestly i dont think its necessary to tweak so many memory management part. the phone have enough memory to handle most of everything and have a fast dual core processor.

i use only this:

echo 0,1,2,4,6,15 > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj
echo 1536,2048,4096,15360,17920,20480 > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

i dont see the point of the other stuffs :)
lock the launcher in the memory is also not necessary, its reloaded fast i dont even noticed that every time.

but its just my opinion :)

ps: you are using this file in many procedures: rcpath="/system/etc/rootfs/init.mapphone_umts.rc"
this isn't exsist in the o2x rom.
for example:
sed -i '/ro.EMPTY_APP_ADJ/ a\
setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM '$SL1 $rcpath

this is only work if the rcpath=/system/etc/build.prop and cut out the 'setprop' string (/data/local.prop also not good for as). i also found some code what is not working with the o2x rom. the whole script is for the droid/milestone's. at least what i found in this thread OP

Last edited:

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Try the newest one :D
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22689090&posted=1#post22689090

init.mapphone_umts.rc isn't even mentioned.
Instead, it does a search for the appropriate file.
It's vastly more sophisticated than Update 8 in all aspects.

The 0,1,2,4,6,15 is kinda useless... no different really than the default 0,1,2,4,7,15

There is a fairly new supercharger thread for the new Galaxy Note... they see a clear difference.

So you really won't ever know until you try ;)

vadonka

Jul 25, 2007
Debrecen
Try the newest one :D
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22689090&posted=1#post22689090

init.mapphone_umts.rc isn't even mentioned.
Instead, it does a search for the appropriate file.
It's vastly more sophisticated than Update 8 in all aspects.

The 0,1,2,4,6,15 is kinda useless... no different really than the default 0,1,2,4,7,15

There is a fairly new supercharger thread for the new Galaxy Note... they see a clear difference.

So you really won't ever know until you try ;)

okay, this version it seems better: V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-Update9_RC6.1.sh

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Yeah there isn't much difference between that and the one I linked to above if you're on CM7.
The incremental update was an ICS detection fix.

I may have all 4 scripts updated today tho

Wadka

Jan 26, 2012
Bremen
Yeah there isn't much difference between that and the one I linked to above if you're on CM7.
The incremental update was an ICS detection fix.

I may have all 4 scripts updated today tho

Hey zeppelinrox, do you recommend to change minfree values when using the v6 script?
I'm running CM9 with Ironkernel and mine are set to 16-24-32-90-100-110, but I think thats a little extreme. Setiron suggested those values, because ICS needs more ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Attention: This guide is for an older version of the V6 SuperCharger.
    This doesn't mean that you can not use this guide as a reference or interesting read, but the new script has some more options which aren't covered here. You have to read the instructions within V6 carefully.

I did a lot of testing some weeks ago and now that I finally have some time I'd like to share what I got so far.
    The V6 Supercharger is a tweak skript by zeppelinrox which works really great on my 2x. It feels smoother and snappier than ever - and multitasking is damn fast (and I never felt that CM7.2 was unsnappy.. but there is a difference now).

I won't talk a lot about what it is and how it does work - read the original thread. It has an even better effect on low spec phones, but it does improve the snappyness on high-end phones, too (and is even used on Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus phones!)
    [Script][MOD][U9RC6.1] Sticky 'n Smooth ISCream-=V6 SUPERCHARGER!=-The ONLY RAM Fixer
    All credits go to zeppelinrox for this great script!

Here's a quote for what it does:
    What's it do?

It makes your phone FAST... super snappy with better multitasking!
    It rearranges and fixes the OOM Groupings and Priorites and lowmemorykiller values.

So basically, it's a COMPLETE MEMORY MANAGEMENT FIX!

It's the ONLY one of it's kind :D

NO LAUNCHER REDRAWS, faster than ever, multitasking is better... why?
    Because it works with the lowmemorykiller and letting it work the way it's meant to work.

Warnings:
    • This is not for ICS! Go to the 2nd post in the thread linked above - there are instructions for ICS (CM9) - I don't use CM9 yet and don't want to include instructions here, which I haven't tested thoroughly.
    • You shouldn't use this with custom kernels (like vadonkas) I guess - it might break some tweaks from the kernel devs.
    • I tested this with CM7.2 (temasek KANG) with the stock CM-kernel and it is working GREAT! It should make an even greater difference on Stock - please report!
    • I tested lots of options and never had a single problem.. but you should do a nandroid backup! There is always a slight chance that something goes wrong.

Instructions:
    (type all options without quotes.. I hope that's obvious)..

• Go to Settings - Cyanogenmod - Performance and make sure that "Lock home in memory" is not checked. If it is: uncheck it and restart (don't worry, the tweak will take over with a better solution than a permanent lock in memory).
    • Download the "V6_SuperCharger_for_Android-update9_RC6.1.sh.txt" from the original thread or from the attachments here and put it to the root directory of your SD card.
    • Type "su" (and approve the Superuser request)
    • Type "cd /sdcard"
    • The first time "wizard" will guide you through the installation process.
    • for the scrolling speed "2" is a good choice for the first time
    • type "b" for the build.prop option
    • type "y" to integrate /init.rc
    • I disabled the "AWESOME" animation (type "y") because it would get annoying after waiting for it to finish after the 3rd time.. sorry for that zeppelinrox ;)
    • press the enter key
    • now type "10" (Quick V6 Custo-OOMizer option)
    • type "y" to use the calculated values
    • press enter twice
    • type "29" to reboot and wipe dalvik cache. The restart will take a while, be patient, that's normal!
    • that's it!

There's a "quick walkthrough" in the second post - together with the best options (at least for me) for the older update 8.

Again: All credit to zeppelinrox - he has a donation link in his thread! If you like it, donate to him please :)
    Zeppelinrox: im not tryed the supercharger script yet but the 3g tweak script and the kick ass kernel tweaks have some interesting part what i found useful.

if you dont mind i used a little part from this two script in my kernel installer, of course i commented your name in the source.
    I'll wait for ICS version of the script :p
    ICS is done. See post #2 of my OP.

Will the REAL vadonka please stand up?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14327296&highlight=supercharger#post14327296
    zeppelinrox: i use i&f 2.2 and now i installed your supercharger script v6, with the optiom oom fix and htk launcher. well, now the rom running even smoother than before. great job :)
    lulz...

btw I'm sure you are totally unfamiliar with the newest incarnations where the values are calculated according the ram available on any device.

SO IT"S ALWAYS OPTIMIZED FOR THE DEVICE IT'S RUNNING ON.

If anything, bulletproof is BETTER suited for devices with more ram - since they can more easily do this without detrimental effects since they do have more ram.

Nothing you say adds up.

First of all V6 won't lock the launcher in memory (like the CM method!).

Just my 2 cents.

just look into this supercharger script and see what is really doing :)