[rom][wip][cm9] Samsung Rugby Smart (SGH-I847, Galaxy W Variant) CyanogenMod 9

Search This thread

kemonine96

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
After 2 months, a couple false starts and plenty of soft bricks I am pleased to bring you CyanogenMod 9 for the Samsung Rugby Smart

Please note this is for the Rugby Smart which is a Galaxy W variant. This will NOT run on a Galaxy W.

Links for download / install / other info

As a token of appreciation for everyone being patient and letting us get the work done I have back-ported the Circle Battery Indicator from CyanogenMod 10 for you guys.

Thanks to motorhead1991 for all the ideas / research and kernel help
Thanks to nicedream06 for all the ideas / research and testing
Thanks to arco68 for the tips on what needed to be done with the Linux Kernel and making it work with CM9 and for the general work on the Galaxy W which this is based upon. Without his help this wouldn't have been possible

Startup Logo / Animation
device-2012-10-15-230407.png

System Info
Screenshot_2012-10-15-21-49-31.png

Home Screen / Launcher / Charging
device-2012-10-15-231119.png

Lock Screen
device-2012-10-15-230440.png

I am not responsible for anything bad that comes to your device when using the information posted in this thread. Everything here is dangerous, may cause a brick, will void a warranty and has the potential to just plain wreak havoc. Do not complain you followed my instructions and met with a dead device. Consider yourself warned

I've tested to the best of my ability, but I am one person with one device, I cannot catch all potential failure modes. If you find a problem and a fix, or have information that should be added let me know and I will update the necessary information.

Last edited:

kemonine96

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Installation

Install Instructions
The rom should install cleanly over a stock or non-stock rom. It will also work with any of the basebands we are aware of.
  1. Install ClockWorkRecovery 6.0.1.2 (See this thread for more information) Without this recovery installation will fail
  2. Download a build from post 4
  3. Copy to sd card
  4. Wipe Data / Factory Reset (Only do this if SWITCHING ROMS)
  5. Wipe cache
  6. Wipe dalvik cache
  7. Install from zip
  8. Select build from sd card
  9. Reboot
  10. Enjoy!
  11. Install gApps as necessary. Given the nature of the installer, I will not be posting links. Check below in the thread / google.

If you need / want google accounts sync / play store / many google apps you will need the gapps installer. I will not be releasing it on this page, it is readily available via a google search

Last edited:

kemonine96

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Goo.im Mirror
There is now a goo.im mirror that will contain the latest and greatest of the items listed below. I will be updating the thread and mirroring to goo whenever there is an update. You can find the files here or within goo manager (available from the play store) under devs/kemonine/apache/cm9.

Builds
Beta 7
Download link: cm-9-20121221-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Sync with upstream
  • Updated CMFileManager

Beta 6
Download link: cm-9-20121208-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Camera fix
  • Sync with upstream
  • Merge some changes from arco's ancora tree's
  • Updated CMFileManager

Beta 5
Download link: cm-9-20121202-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Sync with upstream
  • CMFileManager Update
  • Misc updates from Arco's upstream

Beta 4
Download link: cm-9-20121125-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Updates for HSDPA from arco
  • Synced with upstream CM9
  • File manager version bump

Beta 3
Download link: cm-9-20121119-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Prior to install you *must* remove an updates to OI file manager or you will leave things in an inconsistent state.
Changelog:
  • Updated CMFileManager -- Now with themes
  • Updated boot logo (Thanks motorhead!)
  • Updated to latest ICS Cyanogenmod sources
  • Back-port of CircleBattery improvements
  • Removed OI File Manager pre-built in favor of CMFileManager
    (Don't ask for OI back, CMFileManger is the only one I'll be including going forward)

Beta 2
Download link: cm-9-20121113-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Further fixup for battery life and charging problems

Beta 1
Download link: cm-9-20121110-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Back ported CM10 file manager
  • Battery fix from Motorhead

Alpha 4
Download link: cm-9-20121023-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Enables option to enabled / disable Noise Suppression in Phone -> Settings -> Noise Suppression -- Toggle this if suffering from echo problems
  • New boot logo -- THANKS Motorhead1991

Alpha 3
Download link: cm-9-20121017-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Fixes all outstanding bluetooth and audio issues that were previously known
  • Should be suitable as a daily driver

Alpha 2
Download link: cm-9-20121016-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Working A2DP bluetooth profile
  • Bluetooth headset profile broken

Alpha 1
Download link: cm-9-20121015-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
Changelog:
  • Generally working outside of bluetooth (turns on but no communication)

Last edited:

kemonine96

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Status Of Port

Untested
  • Device encryption

Current issues
  • Display auto-brightness toggle -- Is not possible, the Rugby Smart lacks a light sensor
  • 2G data only toggle does nothing
  • No device serial number shown -- prop:ril.serialnumber

Working
  • Physical buttons
  • Touchscreen
  • SMS / mms
  • WiFi
  • Airplane mode
  • GPS
  • Rotation sensor
  • In-call audio
  • In-call microphone
  • Headphone jack
  • Speaker phone
  • Option to enable / disable noise suppression in phone app (A2220 chip; Phone -> Settings -> Enable Noise Suppression; Should fix echo problems)
  • Proximity sensor
  • SD card swap (settings -> storage -> physical menu button)
  • Camera (Front and back)
  • Camera LED (aka Torch mode)
  • WiFi Tethering
  • USB tethering
  • USB Mass storage mode for sd cards
  • Bluetooth A2DP
  • Bluetooth Headset Protocol
  • Backport of Circle Battery indicator from CM10 (Settings -> System -> Status Bar -> Battery status style -> Circle / Circle with percentage)
  • Backport of CM10 file manager

Last edited:

ESPFreak

Mar 9, 2011
Looks great! Booted perfectly. Only issue I came upon so far is no Google apps or Google account sync in settings. Great work so far guys!

BTW I used Alpha 2

Last edited:

Motorhead1991

Jul 6, 2012
Keep in mind:

CM9 is the more stable of the two ROMs as it is purpose built for the Rugby. My AOKP ROM is a little buggy and is a modified W ROM.

Reactions: Lawrencho

ESPFreak

Mar 9, 2011
OK everything is working great afer a full day of use. Awesome! Only issues I have had:

-Facebook contacts won't sync
-I use Smart Keyboard Pro for my keyboard and the gestures are not being recognized (swipe up to change keyboard layout, down to close, etc)
-Occasionally upon waking I am unable to swipe between home screens. After swiping repeatedly and opening and closing the app drawers and notification bar the srceen frees up. (I am using ADW launcher)

Besides the Facebook contact thing, the other issues seem to be ralated to the touch screen. It works fine, but it does feel slightly less responsive than stock.

Love having ICS on this phone! Great work and look forward future developments :)

Motorhead1991

Jul 6, 2012
Solid error report ESPFreak :), thanks. I don't believe it's a touchscreen problem however, at least at a kernel level. Gestures work on my ported ROM and I'm currently using Kemo's kernel. (it's actually how I launch the dialer). That's not saying that there's not a bug higher up in the system however.

kemonine96

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
OK everything is working great afer a full day of use. Awesome! Only issues I have had:

-Facebook contacts won't sync
-I use Smart Keyboard Pro for my keyboard and the gestures are not being recognized (swipe up to change keyboard layout, down to close, etc)
-Occasionally upon waking I am unable to swipe between home screens. After swiping repeatedly and opening and closing the app drawers and notification bar the srceen frees up. (I am using ADW launcher)

Besides the Facebook contact thing, the other issues seem to be ralated to the touch screen. It works fine, but it does feel slightly less responsive than stock.

Love having ICS on this phone! Great work and look forward future developments :)

Can you install a CPU meter like OS Monitor and set it up to run in your status bar / notification drawer and see if you are getting CPU spikes when the touchscreen goes somewhat unresponsive? Motorhead and I have noticed some CPU spikes popping up after the screen is off for a period of time.

I have also noticed a few when my exchange / imap clients kick off sync's in the background causing the touchscreen to get a little flaky.

Solid error report ESPFreak :), thanks. I don't believe it's a touchscreen problem however, at least at a kernel level. Gestures work on my ported ROM and I'm currently using Kemo's kernel. (it's actually how I launch the dialer). That's not saying that there's not a bug higher up in the system however.
It could be an interplay on the kernel side. There was a lot of grief with the touchscreen and LCD drivers in the ICS kernel. I'm hesitant to rule it out just yet. Lets see what the CPU meter shows.

ESPFreak

Mar 9, 2011
Installed OS monitor. I'll report back after some use. I found this thread about the facebook sync issue. Apparently it's common with cm9. I flashed one file and it did activate the sync option within the app but didn't actually do anything with the contacts. Maybe because it's a different build? Not sure but here's the link.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1695406

Sent from my SGH-I847 using xda premium

kemonine96

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
I found this thread about the facebook sync issue. Apparently it's common with cm9. I flashed one file and it did activate the sync option within the app but didn't actually do anything with the contacts. Maybe because it's a different build? Not sure but here's the link.

This looks like something very very specific that I am not inclined to include in the vanilla CM9 builds. Motorhead think you might be able to work some magic in the AOKP stuff once it is further along?

Direct link to the explanation for those interested: http://niranjanthilak.com/facebook-sync-for-android-ics-devices/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After 2 months, a couple false starts and plenty of soft bricks I am pleased to bring you CyanogenMod 9 for the Samsung Rugby Smart

Please note this is for the Rugby Smart which is a Galaxy W variant. This will NOT run on a Galaxy W.

Links for download / install / other info

As a token of appreciation for everyone being patient and letting us get the work done I have back-ported the Circle Battery Indicator from CyanogenMod 10 for you guys.

Thanks to motorhead1991 for all the ideas / research and kernel help
    Thanks to nicedream06 for all the ideas / research and testing
    Thanks to arco68 for the tips on what needed to be done with the Linux Kernel and making it work with CM9 and for the general work on the Galaxy W which this is based upon. Without his help this wouldn't have been possible

Startup Logo / Animation
    device-2012-10-15-230407.png

System Info
    Screenshot_2012-10-15-21-49-31.png

Home Screen / Launcher / Charging
    device-2012-10-15-231119.png

Lock Screen
    device-2012-10-15-230440.png

I am not responsible for anything bad that comes to your device when using the information posted in this thread. Everything here is dangerous, may cause a brick, will void a warranty and has the potential to just plain wreak havoc. Do not complain you followed my instructions and met with a dead device. Consider yourself warned

I've tested to the best of my ability, but I am one person with one device, I cannot catch all potential failure modes. If you find a problem and a fix, or have information that should be added let me know and I will update the necessary information.

Goo.im Mirror
    There is now a goo.im mirror that will contain the latest and greatest of the items listed below. I will be updating the thread and mirroring to goo whenever there is an update. You can find the files here or within goo manager (available from the play store) under devs/kemonine/apache/cm9.

Builds
    Beta 7
    Download link: cm-9-20121221-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Sync with upstream
    • Updated CMFileManager

Beta 6
    Download link: cm-9-20121208-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Camera fix
    • Sync with upstream
    • Merge some changes from arco's ancora tree's
    • Updated CMFileManager

Beta 5
    Download link: cm-9-20121202-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Sync with upstream
    • CMFileManager Update
    • Misc updates from Arco's upstream

Beta 4
    Download link: cm-9-20121125-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Updates for HSDPA from arco
    • Synced with upstream CM9
    • File manager version bump

Beta 3
    Download link: cm-9-20121119-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Prior to install you *must* remove an updates to OI file manager or you will leave things in an inconsistent state.
    Changelog:
    • Updated CMFileManager -- Now with themes
    • Updated boot logo (Thanks motorhead!)
    • Updated to latest ICS Cyanogenmod sources
    • Back-port of CircleBattery improvements
    • Removed OI File Manager pre-built in favor of CMFileManager
      (Don't ask for OI back, CMFileManger is the only one I'll be including going forward)

Beta 2
    Download link: cm-9-20121113-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Further fixup for battery life and charging problems

Beta 1
    Download link: cm-9-20121110-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Back ported CM10 file manager
    • Battery fix from Motorhead

Alpha 4
    Download link: cm-9-20121023-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Enables option to enabled / disable Noise Suppression in Phone -> Settings -> Noise Suppression -- Toggle this if suffering from echo problems
    • New boot logo -- THANKS Motorhead1991

Alpha 3
    Download link: cm-9-20121017-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Fixes all outstanding bluetooth and audio issues that were previously known
    • Should be suitable as a daily driver

Alpha 2
    Download link: cm-9-20121016-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Working A2DP bluetooth profile
    • Bluetooth headset profile broken

Alpha 1
    Download link: cm-9-20121015-UNOFFICIAL-apache.zip
    Changelog:
    • Generally working outside of bluetooth (turns on but no communication)
    Sources

Sources
    Please note that sources should be checked out with apache substituted for rugby. The device name is apache, not rugby.

Build Instructions / Info: https://github.com/TeamRugby/android_samsung_apache
    Sources: https://github.com/TeamRugby
    Installation

Install Instructions
    The rom should install cleanly over a stock or non-stock rom. It will also work with any of the basebands we are aware of.
    1. Install ClockWorkRecovery 6.0.1.2 (See this thread for more information) Without this recovery installation will fail
    2. Download a build from post 4
    3. Copy to sd card
    4. Wipe Data / Factory Reset (Only do this if SWITCHING ROMS)
    5. Wipe cache
    6. Wipe dalvik cache
    7. Install from zip
    8. Select build from sd card
    9. Reboot
    10. Enjoy!
    11. Install gApps as necessary. Given the nature of the installer, I will not be posting links. Check below in the thread / google.

If you need / want google accounts sync / play store / many google apps you will need the gapps installer. I will not be releasing it on this page, it is readily available via a google search
    Beta 1 is out. Links in 4th post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32889787&postcount=4)

Includes CM10 file manager and a battery fix from Motorhead1991