How to root stock 3.2

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Is this method working for the A501? Please advise and thanks....

Yes it does. I answered your post in my rom thread. It will install an a500 rom, but it's ok. You just won't have internal 3g, and will need wifi to get acerRecovery from the market to install RA Recovery or CWM. Then install a 501 rom via the OP's instructions.

Note that if you have a 501 that is locked to a providers network (ATT, Telstra, Orange, Bell, etc) It will not Sim unlock you from that network. That function is independent from the Rom.

Reactions: caanda45

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
oh hi moscow, sorry didnt see your answer there - yeh td made it really easy for us by adding in cwm and auto adding root tools bless him.

btw i amended my post just for you - did u notice!! hehehe:)

MysticDeth

Apr 13, 2011
Ottawa
I may have missed it, but how do I remove root? I have yet to flash the stock rom but it would be great to know ahead of time :D Thanks

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Guys running this root program and the test does not give me the serial number? Can I proceed without it????

Well I had to use the another root method which worked, the downgrade with the unstable rom, worked like a charm that method.

Last edited:

llcoolbean

Jun 15, 2011
This is weird, wonder if anyone else got the same problem?

After I entered the serial number and clicked next, the computer installed Picasso ADB (or something), and the tablet goes black. The utility never shows the green bar. I have to restart the tablet because the screen went black.

I'm out of idea. Tried a couple of times, restarting computer, etc. didn't work. Any guidance is appreciated.

I'm on XP. My brother is bringing his Win7 laptop tomorrow, will try on it. Hopefully it'll works.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
After I entered the serial number and clicked next, the computer installed Picasso ADB (or something), and the tablet goes black.
After entering the serial no. yr pc should load the boot recovery driver. On yr tab u should see in white letters "entering download mode" this is apx mode. Yr tab will go black. (The white light on the power button should be on) and on your pc u should see the green bar.
I'd say the drivers aren't loading properly, which sometimes happens with xp.
Try running test.cmd first, if u get the serial no. run dotnetdetecter.exe and do not disconnect yr usb cable. See if the boot recovery driver loads after inputting cpuid and hopefully youll get the entering download mode on yr tab. You should be good to go.

Failing that, running it on win7 will solve yr issue. Or if u can't wait try using the unstable chinese rom as per previous poster

Reactions: dwnorman58

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is weird, wonder if anyone else got the same problem?

After I entered the serial number and clicked next, the computer installed Picasso ADB (or something), and the tablet goes black. The utility never shows the green bar. I have to restart the tablet because the screen went black.

I'm out of idea. Tried a couple of times, restarting computer, etc. didn't work. Any guidance is appreciated.

I'm on XP. My brother is bringing his Win7 laptop tomorrow, will try on it. Hopefully it'll works.

You can try the windows 7, if that does not work try this one....http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1276227
I tried the timmy deans one and it would not work for me. I used the method #2 in the link. Just have the Iconia root 1.3 apk on the external sd card and I used the acer recovery app from the market......here...https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.interphaze.AcerRecoveryInstaller&hl=en Also have your rom you are flashing also on the sd card...

It is a unstable downgrade rom that lets you root, but only a few fc`s that were no issue. rooted fast and then flashed my rom. Pretty easy......

Last edited:

pilotferdi

Apr 6, 2012
Irvine, CA
Thank you, timmyDean!

I finally bit the bullet, and tried to root my Acer A500. I followed the instructions thoroughly, and the process went flawless. The rooting process was performed using a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. I was unsuccessful at using a virtual machine in Linux (see below, #4).

So, a big "Thank you!" to timmyDean for helping us all users of A500.

I noticed there were quite a few people reporting problems rooting their devices. I have a few observations that (hopefully) may help:

1. Before doing anything, back up all personal files: photos, music, downloads, books, your plans for world domination, etc. on an external device, or a cloud site (e.g. Dropbox).

2. Iconia A500 does not recognize external devices that have volume labels, even though those devices are formatted in 32-bit FAT. (There were quite some posts complaining about the failure to mount external USB devices out there.) Remove the volume label (leave it blank) from the external device.

3. To have all apps restored after rooting, back up and restore settings should be enabled (Settings -> Privacy -> "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" are checked) before starting the rooting process.

4. The process did not complete when was run on a Windows XP virtual machine (VM) in Linux (64-bit Fedora 16). The tablet was recognized by the VM, and I got the device ID. However, the process got into a loop at step #11: it would not display the old- and new- versions, and could not advance; "Next" button was grayed out.

5. In order to use busybox install a terminal from marketplace. Busybox does not show in the device's apps list. (I would recommend better be well acquainted with Linux commands before making changes on your tablet.)

Good luck to all of you trying to root your Iconia A500. It's a rewarding process!

Ferdi.

dwnorman58

Apr 20, 2012
Marietta, GA
Thanks Timmy

I've been doing a great deal of research and your name comes up everywhere. I appreciate all your hard work. To date I have not gotten root as several attempts have failed. I think that it may have to do with my XP media which needs the 18 months MS format and reinstall. But, that'll have to wait. I have ways of making windows talk.

Thanks again,
DWNorman58

dwnorman58

Apr 20, 2012
Marietta, GA
I'm proberbly just not seeing it

Hello to all,

I have created a nice How To about timmyDean's first post in this thread and extend it with the files and instructions needed in order to be completely root, not only in adb shell.

I have tested the whole procedure three times in three A500 that we have, for our development needs, with success.

The how to also answers many questions asked here about the procedure. So go ahead and read it and tell me what you think or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christos Hohlidakis

Christos,
I go back to Timmy's post and find the link for root-3.2.1-V4.7z, but that is it. There are several alternate links for the same, but I don't find the other files or an attachment.

BTW,
How are links and attachments different? I've only seen links in this forum.

Thanks to all the hard workers (for free no less!! You guys are awesome and I hope one day soon to be able to help with answers so that developers can do what they do best.)

DWNorman58

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Christos,
I go back to Timmy's post and find the link for root-3.2.1-V4.7z, but that is it. There are several alternate links for the same, but I don't find the other files or an attachment.

BTW,
How are links and attachments different? I've only seen links in this forum.

Thanks to all the hard workers (for free no less!! You guys are awesome and I hope one day soon to be able to help with answers so that developers can do what they do best.)

DWNorman58

Well pin a medal on DW,!! You've actually read the earlier posts from back in the day??.....lol....
Ok this was for versions 0 an v1 - since then TD has incorporated all the files and added a few more in the v4 release. Back in the early days we only got 3.2 with root via adb shell and the stock recovery! So christos's guide was for how to add su, b/box and cwm, but now its all done via the flash.

The extra tools are the backdoor, ota toggle and rootkeeper which you'll find in the zip.

I'm in the process of updating the guide for those wanting to revert to stock for the next ota that is looming on the horizon....I'm also trying to provide a mirror for the files - not that I know anything about such things, my knowledge of sharing files extends to the occasional attachment on an email, lol SO if anyone can help me out with some info please, please pm me,

thanks all Donna

Reactions: dwnorman58

Sanien

Aug 12, 2008
Mirrors PLEASE

Hi

Can anyone provide mirrors? I lost all data on my external disk :-( Tried to download this but it goes incredibly slow and then it drops the download and says it cannot be downloaded :-(

Thanks

dwnorman58

Apr 20, 2012
Marietta, GA
not there yet using Timmy D's method

Fellow XDAers,

I have followed the instructions in the README.
It starts with "V3 – Flashing ACER", even though I downloaded v4. I figure that's ok because TD put it in the file.

So, I get to:
14. Once the status bar shows Green (in the status bar) DO NOT interrupt it. If the
status bar DOES not start changing then after 10 minutes reboot your Windows
computer and Tablet and start the process over again.

And the status bar never gets any green. I left it over night last night; still nothing. This happened several times yesterday and again this morning.

I did a hard reset last week thinking that it would put it back to factory 3.1, but it came out 3.2. Will this have any impact on the outcome of TD's procedures?

Where should I go now?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Fellow XDAers,

So, I get to:
14. Once the status bar shows Green (in the status bar) DO NOT interrupt it. If the

And the status bar never gets any green. I left it over night last night; still nothing. This happened several times yesterday and again this morning.
i'd say the apx drivers arent loading properly,
need more info:
1 what OS u running on yr pc
2 what rom r u on currently
3 did test.cmd give you your Device ID ?
if it did then as your very next step run the prgb20.exe - dont disconnect yr tab
and post back what happens..

you should see some kind of action with the green status bar, it does stop for a wee bit but will not take longer than 10 mins to finish.

I did a hard reset last week thinking that it would put it back to factory 3.1, but it came out 3.2. Will this have any impact on the outcome of TD's procedures?

a hard reset will only "reset" your current rom, yeh i know that sucks:) but no, it will not have any affect on what you are trying here.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Fellow XDAers,

I have followed the instructions in the README.
It starts with "V3 – Flashing ACER", even though I downloaded v4. I figure that's ok because TD put it in the file.

So, I get to:

Where should I go now?

Read post #391, worked for me....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, after messing around with 3.2 I decided to fix the rooting issues without downgrading. The problem with downgrading is it requires a SDCard and requires you to install a couple of programs and then to install an update.zip from the sdcard. I could not get half my ACER's to read and mount a sdcard, and some ACER's I have located in a remote office and trying to walk someone through the process was too painful. I tweaked the the downgrade tool's images to install 3.2 with root instead of downgrading it and jumping through hoops. All I did to the stock image is to copy the ash shell over to /system/xbin/su and set the sticky bit. Everything else is stock.

Update posted here, read thead http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20654298&postcount=129

New version V4

-- The instructions are in a PDF document inside the download --
    == Version V4 ==
    -- Added /system/subin/su which is a backup (backdoor) root in case an OTA deletes the /system/xbin/su
    -- Set permissons on the su root(#) tool so OTA's shouldn't be able to break it.
    -- Added drivers for XP

Summary:
    Version V4 is the same as V3 with the only difference being that there is a NEW backdoor script which has some additional features to protect root(#) from getting broken when you do an OTA. I also applied these to this flash image so you wouldn't have to add the additional protection yourself. V4 also has the drivers for XP included. However, when taking an OTA you should also install the backdoor for additional protection. However, you cannot leave the backdoor installed as it turns off sound. So having a little more protection just might save your root in case you take an OTA and forget to install the backdoor.

Download it here: http://www.multiupload.com/NS0X5TK4D1

Alternative download location:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/c6pr69ri6
    http://www.fileserve.com/file/s2wCQpN/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/jTA7AMN
    http://www.filejungle.com/f/vRnfK5/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
    Rooted 3.2.1 V2 -- Fixed versions added tools

Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2 ROOTED
    Here’s the link http://www.multiupload.com/VD0L5WLQKK
    Version v2
    There is a V3 release http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20680452&postcount=137
    V3 installs all the tools for you

************** CHANGES ************************************
    Instructions are in the readme.pdf inside the zip

I fixed the version numbers. When it flashed, it wasn’t setting the number correctly therefore it would redo the last update over again even though it was already on the tablet.

Added a busyBox tool in the folder called busyBox where you will find installTools.cmd. This command script will install the superuser.apx, busybox, and su tool. This is what most of you would want instead of just the command line #(root). This does what chrishohl :) recommends (http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-k...en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/254-art-kb000005-en) to finish out your Acer rooting.

==================================================
    ******************** BACKDOOR UPDATE *********************

I added a little script that will build the backdoor for you. It is in the backdoor folder called backdoor.cmd. Just run this and it will set your adb shell to run as # (root).

Also NOTE, if you reset your tablet (factory restore) you will loose your backdoor. You just run the backdoor.cmd and it will reset the backdoor.

NO SOUND, when you have the backdoor enabled there appears to be no sound. So, you only want to use this before allowing a OTA to install.

==============================================
    ==Backdoor tool version 1.1 release notes===
    ==============================================

Inside the backdoor folder is command script called backdoor.cmd.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please select a option.
    Note: It is assumed you have su installed.
    1. Turn ON backdoor (sound will be off).
    2. Turn OFF backdoor.
    3. Reset missing sticky bit on /system/xbin/su
    (must have backdoor on and rebooted)

4. Quit (and reboot).
    5. Exit (no reboot).

This tool can be used to toggle On/Off the backdoor. When you install OTA updates these OTA’s run scripts that reset all the security permissions thereby removing the ‘sticky bit’ on your installed SU and hence removing root. The idea behind the backdoor is to install an alternate # (root) that the scripts won’t know about. To do this, we set the ro.kernel.qemu=1 flag inside the data/local.prop file therefore when you enter the ‘adb shell’ you immediately have # (root).

This alternate # (root), I call a backdoor. Named such after the movie Wargames where the ‘geeks’ told Lightman that they install a backdoor into systems incase they ever want to get back into a system after someone changes security. And sense Lightman was trying to hack the WOPR (pronounced whopper) and staying one step ahead of Acer is a whopper of a challenge, it seemed appropriate.

The downside is that if you have the backdoor on, it seems to turn off sound on the Acer. Therefore, I turn it on only before I run an OTA and then turn it back off after the OTA.

So far, the backdoor has allowed me to get back in as root if the OTA changes security. However, it might too be plugged by the evil Acer empire. But for now it seems to work. If anyone has any other backdoor approaches then please share them (I have a couple more if Acer plugs this one), but making and using a backdoor has been my frontline defense.

************** Toggle On/Off OTA version 1.1 *******************

Inside the OTA-Toggle folder is a command program called toggle.cmd
    Please select a option.
    Note: It is assumed you have su installed or the backdoor.
    1. Turn Off OTA.
    2. Turn On OTA.

3. Quit.

So, if you’re like me and you do not like Acer hacking into your privately owned tablet and destroying data, you just might want to lock them out. This tool (assuming you have root or the backdoor installed), will allow you to turn off OTA’s.

Once turned off, you will not be nagged or bothered with OTA’s ever again until you turn them back on.
    How to root stock 3.2 Extended

Hello to all,

I have created a nice How To about timmyDean's first post in this thread and extend it with the files and instructions needed in order to be completely root, not only in adb shell.

It is a little big so I posted it in my website here http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-kb-fus-en/mnu-kb-android-en/mnu-kb-android-devices-en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/99-art-kb000005-en

I have tested the whole procedure three times in three A500 that we have, for our development needs, with success.

The how to also answers many questions asked here about the procedure. So go ahead and read it and tell me what you think or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christos Hohlidakis
    Rooted 3.2.1 V3 -- Released

Version V3 released
    http://www.multiupload.com/MQ6V790WUX
    V3
    -- In this version I simplified getting the Serial number of your tablet making it easier to flash. Please read the instructions in the readme.pdf. Many people were struggling trying to load ADB drivers and the ADB tools which the instructions said you needed to load first so you could get your serial number. The flashing tool actually loads the drivers and tools therefore, all you have to do is run the test.cmd after the drivers are loaded to get the serial number. This is now documented better, also you should not have to save the serial number in the CPUID.txt file, so I removed it.

-- I fixed the checksums during the flashing therefore you do not need to boot to recovery mode and fix them using CWM. Now your tablet will just reboot correctly after the flash.

-- I added into the flash, Busybox and SU tools for you. No need to add them later.

Bottom-line, if you installed V2 there is nothing new. V3 is just for those that struggled getting ADB working for their serial number and those that struggled installing the tools. Also, many people 'freaked' when their tablet didn't boot after the flash, because they did not read. Or they struggled with pushing the correct buttons to get into recovery mode to fix the checksums.

Enjoy,
    TD
    Do I get it right that this backdoor idea will not allow me to upgrade from rooted 3.1 to rooted 3.2 with OTA?

No, the backdoor idea is exactly what it says it is. It is a way to get back into a system after they change security when you install an OTA.

To understand what happens during an OTA, is that it is only doing an update. Meaning they update the /system folder and replace (sometimes only updating) everything in /system/app. They may also update the boot and other areas of the device such as / (root folder). However, they don't wipe it totally clean (or most don't). That's why when you get an OTA, for example, you don't have to type in all your contacts again etc. Or reload all your applications you installed from the Marketplace.

During this update process, the last thing they do is reset all the permissions recursively in the /system folder to their default and in doing so remove the 'sticky bit' that gives you root. Most people consider rooting as loading busybox, su, and a Superuser.apk. If you look after the update, you will see su and busybox (normally) are still loaded, just the permissions have the 'stick bit' removed. The Superuser.apk will be missing because they often replace the /system/app folder.

So, what happens in the Android market, is OEM's fix things and push updates. Fix to WiFi, GPS, NetFlex etc and push an update. After the update, the user finds root (#) not working. So they use the exploit that gave them root and re-root the device. Unfortunately, as fast as developers are finding exploits, OEM's are patching them.

In the ACER 3.0.1 there are several exploits to gain root(#) access that have been removed in 3.2.1. Therefore, if you do the OTA's you loose root and then you try to use your exploit to gain root, you get a surprise. The OEM has patched that hole.

So, what you do is create a backdoor that allows you to gain root access outside the normal /system folder and 'sticky bit'. Therefore, when an update occurs, you can get back in as root.

Now, for the ACER. If you have an a500 ACER 3.0.1 Stock, then you can gain root by simply using GingerBreak (Iconiaroot for example). However, if you take OTA's you will loose root and GingerBreak will no longer work. So, since you have root, you create a backdoor, now when you apply the OTA's and it removes the GingerBreak exploit; all you have to do is use your backdoor to get back in as root and set back up bussybox, su, and Superuser.apk.

== Now the current state of the a500 ACER ===
    Earlier versions of the a500 had exploits that we used to gain root. These exploits were all removed in 3.2x. What people found out, was that if they had root they lost it once they upgraded. Or, if they bought it new, and it had 3.2x there was no way to root it.

Therefore, the only solution, at first was to rollback your device to an earlier version that allowed rooting and to stay there or use CWM to apply a modified update of 3.2x with root. Using CWM is a major tool used to replace ROM's or replace with custom ROM's.

However, now the catch 22. In 3.2x, ACER locked the bootloader and by doing so, it prevents you from installing CWM. Because you cannot install CWM, you cannot install custom ROM's or custom updates.

3.2x closed all known exploits, but ACER left the ability to rollback to an earlier version. If they would not have done that, then we'd be stuck (screwed). So, you basically have to rollback to a version you could exploit and then stay there, or load a custom ROM, or install CWM and install a modified update.zip to get you to 3.2x.

If you don't want to stay there and want to apply OTA's then you have to build a backdoor so you can get back in after the OTA's remove your normal root(#).

Hope this helps,
    TD