[MOD] Take photos with the R button - Now on the market!

Search This thread

Zoop57

May 8, 2011
After reading a thread on here before about this is (which i cannot find again) I decided to get to work to make this work, and after a little bit of poking about i managed to get it to work!

The app is now on the market! either search for "xperia play camera" or you use this link https://market.android.com/details?id=seb.camera.mod&feature=search_result.

The instructions are now obsolete but im keeping them there for completeness.

Installation Insturctions
1. Backup the original camera application with a root application manager e.g. titanium backup
2. Then delete the original camera app
3. Reboot your phone
4. Install the .apk from below

If you have a previous version installed you do not need to delete the old one or reboot just install as you would any other app

Version history
v5 - fixed remaining issues this is the final version as of time of writing please report any issues.
v4 - fixed video mode and added non root version
v3 - pictures now taken on release of R1 and menu position fixed
v2 - Decreased menu size by about 40% and fixed minor graphical glitches with menus
v1 - Original release, has VERY large menus

Hope you guys like it!

Attachments

• Camera_xperia_play_mod.apk
    653 KB · Views: 656
  • Camera_xperia_play_mod_v2.apk
    651 KB · Views: 283
  • Camera_xperia_play_mod_v3.apk
    651.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Camera_xperia_play_mod_v4.apk
    651.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Camera_xperia_play_mod_v4_nonroot.apk
    651.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Camera_xperia_play_mod_v5.apk
    652.6 KB · Views: 1,626
  • Camera_xperia_play_mod_v5_nonroot.apk
    652.5 KB · Views: 5,397
Last edited:

Clyzm

Jun 28, 2010
Toronto
Removed my old camera app with titanium backup, tried to install this one, got a message saying 'application not installed'.

Zoop57

May 8, 2011
Removed my old camera app with titanium backup, tried to install this one, got a message saying 'application not installed'.

That's odd that's the issue i was getting before i removed the camera app fully, make sure you have unknown sources enabled and i used antek app manager to remove it so manbe give that a go. Ill look into it.

emann56

Aug 14, 2010
After reading a thread on here before about this is (which i cannot find again) I decided to get to work to make this work, and after a little bit of poking about i managed to get it to work!

Currently the shutter button on the screen remains highlighted until you tap the screen, not a big issue but its one I didn't have time to resolve, maybe later.

To install the app (.apk attached) you need to remove the one that came with the phone and then install this one, I would recommend backing up the original first too.

Hope you guys like it!

Did you update app without telling us? I dont get the highlighted shutter button after I take a pic. Also the menu options are huge! Anyway to fix that?

Last edited:

Zoop57

May 8, 2011
Did you update app without telling us? I dont get the highlighted shutter button after I take a pic. Also the menu options are huge! Anyway to fix that?
Oh god yeah I didnt notice that I basicly downloaded the latest source code for the camera app from the android git and edited the code involving shutter buttons, when I get a chance ill have a look why the fonts so big. Xxx

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
Cheers mate working fine. Backed up org. camera apk, then deleted it with titanium, rebooted and installed modded version without any issues :)

Regards Dousan...

Zoop57

May 8, 2011
Now going to update the original post with v2 that fixes the graphical glitches with the on screen hud. The pop-up menus have been decreased in size but still remain larger than the insanely small ones the original menu had. This version can be installed over the top of v1 like a normal app with no fuss.

Reactions: ps3taker and Xplay

liaoip

Nov 11, 2007
Great app! Works like a charm. Thanks for the great work.

My suggestion: I don't know what everyone thinks about this, but would it be possible to make it so that the app only focuses pressing down but doesn't take the actual photo until you release your finger (it would kind of mirror the shutter button on the screen).

Some advantages that would come from this would be being able to focus and then reframe, as well as timing shots better.

Xplay

May 10, 2011
Thx bud works so much better now...I really disliked touching the screen to take pic.

Zoop57

May 8, 2011
I guess its time for v3 ;) that shouldnt be hard to do and I shall try fix the video mode too.

Reactions: ps3taker

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
Sounds good to me with R button pushed=focus and R button released=snap picture :)

Good work on the app mate, looking forward to a v3 :D

Regards Dousan...

Nhialor

Jun 17, 2009
Dublin, Ireland, Ireland
Good job but a few issues...

1. Is it me or so images taken this way seem to be blurrier than when taken with the stock camera app?
2. Why is there a gap between the menu bar, and the portion with the shutter button and the camera mode selector?
3. It seems to me that the menu, when clicked on it, seems as if the options are very blurry?

Nhialor

Last edited:

DeadlyDazza

Jul 3, 2010
Also, remove the on screen shutter button.

You see, you help people, do a good job & they expect you to perform miracles! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The app is now on the market! either search for "xperia play camera" or you use this link https://market.android.com/details?id=seb.camera.mod&feature=search_result.

The instructions are now obsolete but im keeping them there for completeness.

Installation Insturctions
    1. Backup the original camera application with a root application manager e.g. titanium backup
    2. Then delete the original camera app
    3. Reboot your phone
    4. Install the .apk from below

If you have a previous version installed you do not need to delete the old one or reboot just install as you would any other app

Version history
    v5 - fixed remaining issues this is the final version as of time of writing please report any issues.
    v4 - fixed video mode and added non root version
    v3 - pictures now taken on release of R1 and menu position fixed
    v2 - Decreased menu size by about 40% and fixed minor graphical glitches with menus
    v1 - Original release, has VERY large menus

Hope you guys like it!
    Now going to update the original post with v2 that fixes the graphical glitches with the on screen hud. The pop-up menus have been decreased in size but still remain larger than the insanely small ones the original menu had. This version can be installed over the top of v1 like a normal app with no fuss.
    I guess its time for v3 ;) that shouldnt be hard to do and I shall try fix the video mode too.

Looks like I've got my hands full, this is all googles code from the android git so its not my fault. The blurry font is because the font is larger than usual as it was TINY before, ill fix the menu locations though if I can and make the shutter button work right.

Edit: v3 is up now and it has the menu placement fixed and now focuses on pressing R1 and takes the picture when released. Still to fix video mode and can anyone let me know if their on screen shutter remains highlighted after taking pictures. It would also be interesting if anyone were to investigate the blurry image claim to see if its true.

how to copy the libs and paste it on system file?

What do you mean?
    I just installed v3 it works great, the shutter button does stay highlighted and as for the pictures I don't think they are blurry at all they clear on mine

Thanks, ill try fix that issue even if i have to change the image it uses, i cant find what's causing it, but at the moment its got low priority.