[APP] Updated/Standalone Gmail in the market [9/21]

Search This thread

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Didnt find this posted so here goes:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/..._campaign=Feed:+OfficialGmailBlog+(Gmail+Blog)
We just released a new version of the Gmail app in Android Market, so Gmail updates aren’t tied to Android version releases anymore. Now you can get new Gmail stuff faster without having to wait for system updates.

android+gmail+updated+qr+code.png

link

If you are on a custom ROM where the signature of the gmail app is different, then you will have to do the following first:
  1. adb remount
    adb shell mv /system/app/Gmail.apk /system/app/Gmail.apk.bak
  2. adb uninstall com.google.android.gm
Note: the uninstall command may work on its own, but the above is what I did in order

bufodill

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks.
Didn't work for me though, I had to adb shell and "rm" the gmail apk, different rom I guess :)

But then it installed nicely.
Now if they could please update their calendar to add some missed features.

Edit: No... what version number should it display in "about"?
Mine says 2.3 , but I don't get my priority inbox

Last edited:

Airosa

Aug 10, 2010
Taipa
only USA?

can't find the update with Priority Inbox.
friends in Indonesia, Germany and HK having the same issue.

dailydR1ver

Jan 23, 2010
Cary, NC
If you are on a custom ROM where the signature of the gmail app is different, then you will have to do the following first:
  1. adb remount
Note: the uninstall command may work on its own, but the above is what I did in order

Thanks for the heads up. Cm6 using gapps flash let's you instal straight from the market! No issues here!

I'm on CM6 (8/27) without the Gapps flash and I just used Titanium Backup to uninstall Gmail, restarted, then installed from the market.

Reactions: dsmpampis

AllanJacques

Nov 27, 2007
Vancouver
ell guy, I am having a bit trouble enabling push e-mail, any ideas?
It jus doesnt push my email no matter what, an -9 mail works perfectly...
Please help?

Chosen_on184

Jul 27, 2009
I truly dislike the fact that the copy and past function in Gmail is so abysmal. It seems you can only select and copy only whats showing on the screen at the time .. So if you wanted to copy a entire message and you try and do that ..

select .. more .... copy text .. u put ur finger down and start to higlight then use the trackball to scroll while highlighting it only highlights whats showing on the screen and does not retain what was highlighted before ..

So basically to copy a large email you have to do it in sections ..

Talk about tedious .. what happened to the the good ol select all function

This again is in reference to copy and paste in the gmail app from your phone

Buck Shot

Mar 2, 2010
so i unistalled gmail via titanium... tried to adb... tried the .rar and extacted the .apk and i have nothing still. keeps failing to install. now i have no email unless i nandroid.

when i fastboot my commands are to cd\ c:\superboot then fastboot-windows devices...then serial # is recognized. i tried the commands and i get incorrect errors and what not. Am i doing that right? Or do i need to do it a diff way. Im not too familiar with adb.

EDIT: I got it to work...but what was i doing wrong via adb. I would like to know and get more familiar

Last edited:

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
I'm a bit confused at to what you were trying to do, you mention ADB but list fastboot commands. They're two seperate programs, which were you using exactly?

Fastboot will never be able to push an app, that's ADB's job. Fastboot is for flashing .img files.

Buck Shot

Mar 2, 2010
this is where my inexperience comes into play. guess i know less about adb then i thought.

dsMA

Jun 4, 2010
Sacramento
push via gtalk?

The XDA article that links to this thread says that there is no longer to syn inboxes because the new gmail app talks through gtalk...is this something done in the background or do we have to enable it and if so how?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. adb remount

Thanks for the heads up. Cm6 using gapps flash let's you instal straight from the market! No issues here!

I'm on CM6 (8/27) without the Gapps flash and I just used Titanium Backup to uninstall Gmail, restarted, then installed from the market.