[ROOT] Rooting the Galaxy S2 LTE from Rogers I727R

Search This thread

ninja0n3

Nov 16, 2010
I just obtained the Galaxy S2 LTE from Rogers, which is a an upgrade from the one I obtained from Bell.
As a result I found myself looking for an easy way to root the device, which led to multiple posts but no clear solution as to how to achieve this on my newly obtained device.

This post is merely a recollection of the posts and threads that have helped me achieve root on the SGH-I727R sold by Rogers in Canada.

Warning: I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. Do at your own risk.

Phone specs:
Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE by Rogers
Model: SGH-I727R
Baseband: I727RUXKJ7
Android version: 2.3.5
Kernel version: 2.6.35.11
Build number: GINGERBREAD.RUXKJ7

References:
Superuser.apk and su binary: http://androidsu.com/superuser/
ZergRush binary: https://github.com/downloads/revolutionary/zergRush/zergRush.zip
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18373159&postcount=30
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18544480&postcount=46

The process
My research took me to the posts above which focus on the use of the root exploit ZergRush.

1 - Download all the necessary files
  • ZergRush binary
  • Superuser.apk
  • su binary

2 - Run ZergRush as follows:
This requires the Android sdk with and the use of adb, which can be found in platform-tools on the sdk directory.

• open a command line (cmd.exe) and type the following commands
  • type in "adb push C:\[location of zergRush]\zergRush /data/local"
  • type in "adb shell"
  • type in chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush
  • type in "/data/local/zergRush"

This is the output to be expected (this may be different for your device. Let the binary do it's job):
Code:
$ /data/local/zergRush
/data/local/zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x0002e118
[+] Found a Samsung, running Samsung mode
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sleeping a bit (~40s)...
[*] Waking !
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Waking !
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x18
[+] Overseer found a path ! 0x00030730
[*] Waking !
[+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000307f8
[*] Waking !
[+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40322cd4 0x0074
[*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
[+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd25d9d 0xafd3975f
[*] Waking !
[*] Sending 181 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
[+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!

This will temporarily root your device (until the next reboot).

3 - Push Superuser.apk and su binary
Type the following commands in your command line shell:
  • adb remount
  • adb push c:\[path_to_Superuser.apk]\Superuser.apk /system/app
  • adb push c:\[path_to_su_binary]\su /system/bin
  • adb shell
  • chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
  • chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  • reboot

This is the expected result:
Code:
C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb remount
remount succeeded

C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb push c:\[path_to_Superuser.apk]\Superuser.apk /system/app
4461 KB/s (785801 bytes in 0.172s)

C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb push c:\[path_to_su_binary]\su /system/bin
2713 KB/s (22228 bytes in 0.008s)

C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb shell
# chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
# reboot
reboot

Once the device has rebooted, you will have the application Superuser with root privileges which will allow other apps to benefit from it.

it is far from a one click app, and doesn't include any goodies that may be found in CMW4, but it's better than no root at all.

All credit goes to the creator of ZergRush and the people who contributed to the conversation on the original ZergRush thread.

Last edited:

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
Awesome.... I was wondering whether we were getting our own section or staying on the i9100 forum, glad you posted here.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using XDA App

ninja0n3

Nov 16, 2010
To be honest, I didn't really know where else to put it.
Since it still somehow falls in the SGS2 category, I opted to put it here.

Hope this helps as we wait for the good stuff.

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
we might have to wait until it comes out on AT&T... unless we got more CDN devs that can bring on the good stuff sooner.
Have you tried installing CWM?

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
How can we vote on a page? we need one!! I really want to root but im afraid to follow these experimental directions.. I cant risk bricking my phone

euphoria47

Oct 8, 2008
Ottawa
Could any of you fine folks clarify whether the Rogers GS2 is running Exynos or Snapdragon? I am 95% sure it's Snapdragon, but ALL info I find states "1.5ghz dual-core" and leaves it at that :confused::confused:

Thank you, and I hope you are enjoying your phones :)

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Could any of you fine folks clarify whether the Rogers GS2 is running Exynos or Snapdragon? I am 95% sure it's Snapdragon, but ALL info I find states "1.5ghz dual-core" and leaves it at that :confused::confused:

Thank you, and I hope you are enjoying your phones :)

Crapdragon, just like the AT&T Skyrocket.

You should put this in either Skyrocket dev section, or nowhere. (The I777 community is getting annoyed with all the ****rocket clutter in general/Q&A.)

What the hell were the XDA mods thinking putting the ****rocket dev section under the I777? If it were lumped with anything it should've been the T-Mobile T989 which is 98% identical.

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
We need our own forum :( someone setup the voting

digg1980

Jan 1, 2010
Do we have to unlock the boot loader for this?

Hey,

The only device I have rooted before was Nexus one, where you had to unlock the bootloader first as far I remember when I did it. Do we need to unlock the boot loader to do this on the Galaxy S2 LTE. As well is there away we can revert back to original rom to avoid invalidating the warrenty? I just got the device and would hate to scrap it!!

Thanks.

ninja0n3

Nov 16, 2010
Hey,

The only device I have rooted before was Nexus one, where you had to unlock the bootloader first as far I remember when I did it. Do we need to unlock the boot loader to do this on the Galaxy S2 LTE. As well is there away we can revert back to original rom to avoid invalidating the warrenty? I just got the device and would hate to scrap it!!

Thanks.

This is not a ROM.
The only thing you are doing is using the ZergRush exploit to gain access as root to the device and adding 2 files to your filesystem, namely Superuser.apk and su.
As far as performing the procedure, you just have to put your phone in debug mode when plugged to usb and use adb shell from the android SDK.

To go back to the original state of the device, all you have to do is remove those 2 files from their respective locations.

ninja0n3

Nov 16, 2010
Crapdragon, just like the AT&T Skyrocket.

You should put this in either Skyrocket dev section, or nowhere. (The I777 community is getting annoyed with all the ****rocket clutter in general/Q&A.)

What the hell were the XDA mods thinking putting the ****rocket dev section under the I777? If it were lumped with anything it should've been the T-Mobile T989 which is 98% identical.

I don't see why people keep calling it Skyrocket... There is no such denomination in Canada.

As far as the device itself, it is understandable that you don't own the device. This makes your criticism of it purely based on second hand experience - I assume that by "I777 community" that you mean you.

Some people other than you does own it, and might be interested in reading this. If you're not, why bother wasting a post in stating how much you hate the I727R and how the post is located in the wrong section (isn't that the role of the mods?).

Technically, they all fall into the Galaxy S2 category, the XDA mods should actually create one big SGS2 forum and put sub-forums for the I9100, the I777, I727R and the T989 instead of having 14 different forums for each device that is the SGS2 and they should most definitely call them by their code names instead of the carrier selected names, which throws everyone into confusion when looking for answers.

supernauticus

May 24, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, Thanks. I understand the skyrocket is the other closest north american variant and so we should be following its development closely.
I've been trying to get other i727r owners to post requests as well.
I hope those asking for voting to be set up have actually also gone to the thread request post and added "+1 Galaxy S2 I727R".

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
The mod assumed we were talking about the sky rocket so everyone go request in there "+1 SGH-I727R"

Last edited:

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
Technically, they all fall into the Galaxy S2 category, the XDA mods should actually create one big SGS2 forum and put sub-forums for the I9100, the I777, I727R and the T989 instead of having 14 different forums for each device that is the SGS2 and they should most definitely call them by their code names instead of the carrier selected names, which throws everyone into confusion when looking for answers.

Very good idea...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just obtained the Galaxy S2 LTE from Rogers, which is a an upgrade from the one I obtained from Bell.
    As a result I found myself looking for an easy way to root the device, which led to multiple posts but no clear solution as to how to achieve this on my newly obtained device.

This post is merely a recollection of the posts and threads that have helped me achieve root on the SGH-I727R sold by Rogers in Canada.

Warning: I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. Do at your own risk.

Phone specs:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE by Rogers
    Model: SGH-I727R
    Baseband: I727RUXKJ7
    Android version: 2.3.5
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.11
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.RUXKJ7

References:
    Superuser.apk and su binary: http://androidsu.com/superuser/
    ZergRush binary: https://github.com/downloads/revolutionary/zergRush/zergRush.zip
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18373159&postcount=30
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18544480&postcount=46

The process
    My research took me to the posts above which focus on the use of the root exploit ZergRush.

1 - Download all the necessary files
    • ZergRush binary
    • Superuser.apk
    • su binary

2 - Run ZergRush as follows:
    This requires the Android sdk with and the use of adb, which can be found in platform-tools on the sdk directory.

• open a command line (cmd.exe) and type the following commands
    • type in "adb push C:\[location of zergRush]\zergRush /data/local"
    • type in "adb shell"
    • type in chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush
    • type in "/data/local/zergRush"

This is the output to be expected (this may be different for your device. Let the binary do it's job):
    Code:
    $ /data/local/zergRush
    /data/local/zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x0002e118
    [+] Found a Samsung, running Samsung mode
    [*] Scooting ...
    [*] Waking !
    [*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [*] Waking !
    [+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x18
    [+] Overseer found a path ! 0x00030730
    [*] Waking !
    [+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000307f8
    [*] Waking !
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40322cd4 0x0074
    [*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd25d9d 0xafd3975f
    [*] Waking !
    [*] Sending 181 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!

This will temporarily root your device (until the next reboot).

3 - Push Superuser.apk and su binary
    Type the following commands in your command line shell:
    • adb remount
    • adb push c:\[path_to_Superuser.apk]\Superuser.apk /system/app
    • adb push c:\[path_to_su_binary]\su /system/bin
    • adb shell
    • chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    • chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    • reboot

This is the expected result:
    Code:
    C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb remount
    remount succeeded

C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb push c:\[path_to_Superuser.apk]\Superuser.apk /system/app
    4461 KB/s (785801 bytes in 0.172s)

C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb push c:\[path_to_su_binary]\su /system/bin
    2713 KB/s (22228 bytes in 0.008s)

C:\[path_to_SDK]\platform-tools>adb shell
    # chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    # chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    # reboot
    reboot

Once the device has rebooted, you will have the application Superuser with root privileges which will allow other apps to benefit from it.

it is far from a one click app, and doesn't include any goodies that may be found in CMW4, but it's better than no root at all.

All credit goes to the creator of ZergRush and the people who contributed to the conversation on the original ZergRush thread.
    I just don't get why there is not section for this phone. why is it that this forum is so messed up? It;'s not difficult to undersantand that you need to create main forum for main brand and then subfoums for their own different models. It's so annyoing that you have to guess where you need to post and it takes hours to get some reading done about things you are looking for. Ridiculus.
    Anyway does anybody know if there is any ROM availble for it? if so which one?
    Just wanted to chime in another success story. Successfully rooted my SGH-I727R using SuperOneClick v2.2. Installed the latest version of ROM Manager (v4.8.0.2) from the Marketplace which flashed ClockworkMod 5.0.2.7 without any problems at all. Selected the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 option during the flash.

Only weird thing that happened was that after the rooting, the 4 touch keys were extremely slow to respond. Easily fixed with a restart of the phone though.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

I do have SGH-I727R as well, before rooting mine; could u please tell me if your caller ID works or not? (because I had that issue with my old phones, after rooting my phone that rogers caller ID just turned off)
    thank you..

No issues with my caller ID before and after rooting. Gave myself a call using my home phone and the number showed up normally.
    hey guys,

where did you get the drivers for the phone. when i plug it in and click 'root', it says no drivers for CDC Serial and SAMSUNG_Android

Just google search Samsung Kies.
    Yes, did the same tonight, Rogers S2 LTE rooted SUperoneclick 2.2!