[FAQ] S-Off

Search This thread

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Read through all of this, used the search feature... :rolleyes:

Here is my situation. Was on ICS leak when i s-offed the first time. went smooth everything was good.
Phone broke and now im doing it from GB,
Im on the green arrow down screen and again, whenever i run the app, now it is telling me this:

======== ControlBear version 0.2.2 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
Starting up......
Connecting to device...
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: protocol fault (no status)
Connect device and install drivers
Press ENTER to exit.....

Now, i have it in my adb/fastboot servers. SDK is updated recently. What drivers are they talking about? the phone drivers? Those are up to date.. Thanks again, running into a lot of troubles second time around. :eek:

Is the phone rooted w/ usb debugging enabled? Have you tried rebooting the PC?

xceebeex

Dec 16, 2010
I am getting so fed up with this process. For something that should be pretty straight forward and only take a few attempts. It is taking me forever and I really find it hard to believe that my timing is that bad where I didn't get it right on at least one of these attempts.

If I hadn't invested so much time in this at this point, I would probably just give up but now it is a challenge. I am definitely frustrated though.

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Starting from scratch helps. Flash a RUU and see if that helps. Instructions in OP.

Sent from my Htc Rezound
Follow me on twitter @lmrtech

Reactions: Fergusonfox7

Hotweelz66

Aug 6, 2009
Salem/Metro
I have S-Off but was wondering would I still have it after a factory reset? I'm still stock(just waiting to see what coming in the next few weeks or so) .

rellomar

Dec 2, 2011
Pittsburgh
Finally took the plunge and tried it out...got it first try! Was much more simple than I anticipated, of course thanks to all of the great work by the op and everyone else offering advice throughout this thread. Thanks a lot everyone!

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Finally took the plunge and tried it out...got it first try! Was much more simple than I anticipated, of course thanks to all of the great work by the op and everyone else offering advice throughout this thread. Thanks a lot everyone!

Glad to hear. Enjoy! :)

Sent from my Htc Rezound

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Try the time to hgoldner made. Seems to work well for timing. Download is in OP.

Sent from my Htc Rezound

johnan2112

Jan 5, 2011
I must be doing something wrong. The video shows the phone booting into bootloader but every time I run the program, it boots into a black HTC screen when it tells me to do the wire trick. Any ideas?

LOL ok nevermind. I got it to work. I also installed the JuopunutBear Hboot. Should I keep this one or go back to the stock Hboot? I'm on Clean ROM 4.2.2 on the latest ICS leak if that matters.

Last edited:

pmterp

Jul 25, 2010
Northwest Georgia
If I'm getting to the "Do wire trick" prompt and I can't get it to take, is it just my timing sucks or can something else be the problem? I've tried it about 5 million times (give or take) and it just keeps saying "Do wire trick now" then after a while reboots and comes back with "still sober". I've tried a strand of CAT5, paperclip with electrical tape, and coax. I've tried using the Timing2.acc and I just can't get it. I was running onexxx and was on the newest leak fw. I've just redownloaded the Stock Rooted Deodexed 4.0.3 - 3.10.605.13.zip from Scott's site and am willing to go back through the steps of installing the RUU, unlocking and trying again. Just want to double check before I go through the hassle.
Also, to install the RUU, do I just drop it on the SD and run from recovery like a custom rom or is there a better way to do it?

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman
If I'm getting to the "Do wire trick" prompt and I can't get it to take, is it just my timing sucks or can something else be the problem? I've tried it about 5 million times (give or take) and it just keeps saying "Do wire trick now" then after a while reboots and comes back with "still sober". I've tried a strand of CAT5, paperclip with electrical tape, and coax. I've tried using the Timing2.acc and I just can't get it. I was running onexxx and was on the newest leak fw. I've just redownloaded the Stock Rooted Deodexed 4.0.3 - 3.10.605.13.zip from Scott's site and am willing to go back through the steps of installing the RUU, unlocking and trying again. Just want to double check before I go through the hassle.
Also, to install the RUU, do I just drop it on the SD and run from recovery like a custom rom or is there a better way to do it?

The phone should reboot when you hit both the first time. You're not making good contact between the points

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

trud9340

Feb 24, 2012
SD fix

SD fix is not working for me...
I am afraid my battery is going to die since I cant charge it through this process.
Can anyone help?

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
How is it not working for you? What error are you getting?

Sent from my Htc Rezound

trud9340

Feb 24, 2012
How is it not working for you? What error are you getting?

Sent from my Htc Rezound

I was able to get it to work eventually, I was doing something wrong.
I actually ended up restoring everything back the way it was. After several tried doing the wire trick, I started getting scared that my battery was getting low (really it never got below 90%) and I just restored everything the way it was. Maybe ill build up the courage to try the process again some time.

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
I was able to get it to work eventually, I was doing something wrong.
I actually ended up restoring everything back the way it was. After several tried doing the wire trick, I started getting scared that my battery was getting low (really it never got below 90%) and I just restored everything the way it was. Maybe ill build up the courage to try the process again some time.

Smart move. Always better to play it safe. Else you'll end up with a expensive paperweight.

Sent from my Htc Rezound

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this thread we will try and cover all possible questions and concerns people will have with our S-Off process that was released. I will update thread accordingly to any new questions and issues, along with the fixes / explanations. The point of this thread is to try and eliminate hundreds of threads being started. So consider this to be a one stop shop for anyone seeking answers.

If you feel I missed any questions, feel free to let me know and I will update OP accordingly.

Frequently asked questions:

Q: What kind of wire should I use for the wire trick?
    A: Any type of wire works as long as it's insulated. I would recommend Cat5/6, Coax, Speaker wire, and/or a paperclip.
    If you use a paperclip please ensure you cover the areas you will be touching with electrical tape (Sold at your local hardware stores)
    All copper wiring should be stripped about a quarter of a inch. Ensure you do not touch the bare copper or you can risk shorting and ultimately bricking your device.

*Coax*
    IMAG0113.jpg

*Cat 5e*
    IMAG0111.jpg

Q: Im having problems with the timing of the wiring trick. Is there anything that will help me?
    A: If you having issues with wiring trick, view this YouTube video.

Or

hgoldner was nice enough to make *.acc metronome that prompts you to do the wiring trick. All credits go to him! Great idea! It plays in 1.75 Intervals to help with the timing of the wire trick. :beer:
    Click here to download.

Q: Where can I find the instructions and download links for S-Off?
    A: Instructions - http://unlimited.io/instructions/
    Download - http://unlimited.io/htc-rezound/

Q: Help! My internal and external memory are having problems after S-Off.
    A: This may happen as it did to me. Fix was issued not long after the problem occurred.

Update:
    Newer versions shouldn't affect the internal storage anymore.

Internal storage fix:

For those of you having problems with internal storage, my apologies. We accidentally included the GB hboot.

Download this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14779955/jb_hboot.zip MD5: ed8bf61fd78c670fbaf950e636aee761

Put the phone in fastboot mode, then run the follwoing commands:
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip jb_hboot.zip
    fastboot reboot

Ignore the green bar.

External storage fix:

Guys, noticed a few people having trouble with the sd card fix so I ran it and took screenshots. Each screenshot is what you should see after running the command listed above the screenshot. (I am not going to post screenshots of how to open the command prompt.. if you made it this far you should already know)

Disclaimer: This formats your SD Card.

1. adb shell
    img1.png

2. busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1
    img2.png

3. type the letter "o"
    img3.png

4. type the letter "w"
    img4.png

5. busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1
    img5.png

6. Type the letter "n"
    img6.png

7. Type the letter "p" for primary
    img7.png

8. Type the number "1" for first partition
    img8.png

9. Press the enter key for default size.
    img9.png

10. Press the enter key for default size.
    img10.png

11. Type the letter "w"
    img11.png

12. busybox mkfs.vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
    img12.png

Edit: Step 13.. On your phone, click on the Notification that states "Blank SD Card" and choose format, the card should then format and mount properly.

This is my first How-to so if something does not make sense please let me know. Hope this helps guys.

Link to thread

For anyone still having problems with fixing the external SDcard issues, here is an alternative method which i used successfully.

1. Turn off rezound.
    2. Remove battery and then SDcard.
    3. Insert the micro-Sdcard from you phone into a standard sdcard adapter.
    4. But this in a PC or laptop sdcard reader.
    5. Right click on the sdcard from "My Computer" or in newer versions of windows, "Computer".
    6. Click format.
    7. Select "default allocation size" for the allocation size.
    8. Click start. Once completed then open the Sdcard from the PC and verify you can access it and add files.
    9. Remove from PC, and reinstall sdcard into the phone, reinstall the batter and power on.
    10. Enjoy. =)

Q: How safe is this method?
    A: As always you can risk bricking your device. I found in a lot of trial and errors I've experienced that any state your in is recoverable. You may want to have a backup of your Roms Boot.img and Amon RA recovery.

Q: Do I have to load into fastboot before opening the .exe?
    A: No. You can do this process right from your home screen on Android. Once the process begins it will handle all that. Just follow the on screen directions.

Q: Do I have to be charged fully before starting?
    A: It is highly recommended that you should be. I wouldn't try to cut corners since this is a critical exploit. Follow every piece of the instructions.

Q: Help I'm stuck at the green Juopunutbear screen?
    A: No worries. I've heard in some cases this happens. You can either simply restart the exe and it will retry from that screen, or if you want to stop process and go back to your ROM, you will need to flash your ROMS boot.img and also flash recovery via fastboot.

Q: Where should I place zip files after the download Is complete?
    A: It is recommended you extract the files inside the same folder where your fastboot and adb is located. A lot of people have said it makes the process better.

Q: Will this process wipe my internal and external storage?
    A: Newer versions shouldn't touch the internal memory anymore. Your external memory now gets backed up during the process. I would recommend backing up internal and external storage before starting process to be on the safe side.

Q: When I try the fix for the external sd card. I open up the command prompt type in the first command . It says card is larger than b la bla bla .. this may be an issue then it gives me 2 reasons and then a m6 with a flashing cursor , but it won't let me type anything . Says type M for help , won't accept that either.. doesn't seem to take any input from the keyboard.
    A: In a situation such as this, formatting the SD card should resolve that issue.

Q: How can I get S-On again incase I want to return phone to stock?
    A: You can follow the instructions Scotty has posted here

Q: Why should I even achieve S-Off?
    A: Prior to htc dev unlock tool, this was the only way to flash Roms / etc. Now with Htc dev unlock we can flash, yet we are still limited to what we can flash due to the fact we are still S-On.

Example: If you flashed ICS Leak RUU you can no longer revert to GB. With S-Off, this is made possible.
    Also those people who are S-Off won't have to deal with those pesky PH98IMG files to flash certain mods.
    My advice is research and see if S-Off is something you're interested in.

Q: Im getting a backup failed error when running the exploit. How do I fix this?
    A: Anyone getting the backup error should double check all prerequisites. Make sure you have a connection between your Pc and device, and also make sure to use the latest exploit from unlimited.io for your firmware.

Q: What are some recommendations before running exploit to make the process smoother?
    A: It is recommended you extract the files from the exploit zip to your adb / fastboot folder. If you have HTC Sync installed it should be disabled. Also consider turning off Anti Virus Protection just for this time period. If your using CWM Recovery, install Amon RA recovery. I haven't verified this due to the fact I use Amon RA and not CWM but a few members have said they had to flash Amon RA to get exploit further along the process.
    Update:
    While researching I've came across a few more things that helped people. It seems flashing a new Rom may help the process proceed even further if your stuck at a certain spot of the exploit. Also be sure to make sure your Android SDK is up to date.

Q: What's the difference between GB and ICS Leak exploit?
    A: In simple terms, Hboot. GB users can use ICS v0.1. But you must NOT flash the hboot when prompted. Decline it. If you want the ENG Hboot, Con had a thread in the development section with instructions.
    ENG Hboot GB

ICS users are recommended to flash the jb_hboot.zip that comes with exploit. (Before doing flash please remember on v0.1 it will wipe Internal storage. Backup your files accordingly.)
    To do so rename the jb_hboot.zip to PH98IMG.zip and place on root of sdcard. Reboot into bootloader, follow prompts, and profit!

Here is also a great post by Con explaining the differences:

This is what I have gathered so far.

GB Firmware Info:

Stock:
    • Refuses fastboot flashes
    • Allows PH98IMG.zip flashes of anything
    • Allows normal S-OFF activites, except not via fastboot unless you htcdev.com unlock again

Engineering:
    • You can do whatever the hell you want
    • Allows fastboot and PH98IMG.zip to flash anything
    • Looks badass having ENG S-OFF in the tag
    • Extra Engineering Commands

ICS Firmware Info:

Stock:
    • Refuses fastboot flashes
    • Allows PH98IMG.zip flashes of anything
    • Allows normal S-OFF activites, except not via fastboot unless you htcdev.com unlock again

JuopunutBear Modified:
    • Says JuopunutBear in Purple
    • Allows fastboot and PH98IMG.zips like an ENG hboot

Q: I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I'm stuck at the same point of the program. What can I do?
    A: Situations like this suck, but hang in there. Patience is the biggest tool in your inventory. Start off by viewing my recommendations in the Q & A. Triple check everything! If all else fails it may be a good idea to start from scratch. This exploit varys in different issues with each user. Sometimes starting from scratch may be you best bet. Here's what I recommend to do.

*Flash the RUU based off your firmware. (GB or ICS Leak users)
    *Unlock bootloader via htcdev.
    *Flash Amon RA recovery.
    *Flash a rom of your choice.
    *Once your ROM is flashed attempt S-Off. (Remember to follow prior steps such a making sure USB debugging is enabled / etc.)

Those who have achieved S-Off, I highly recommend reading Scottys thread. This thread has useful information you should read.
    Click here to read

More to come soon. Feel free to let me know questions you feel should be added.

For discussions on S-Off you can view S-Off is official thread or Discussion of S-Off thread

Downloads:

Unlimited.io

hgoldner - Wiring trick metronome timer.

Sent from my Htc Rezound
    I only have Windows machines around the house and work.

I am not familiar with Ubuntu at all and was wondering if anyone had a link to an old Windows compatible version of the Juopunut S-OFF program.

Is there any alternative for windows-exclusive users?

I have a windows version made zip still. I'll upload it to this post

EDIT: got it uploaded here you go http://www.mediafire.com/?9svdsus6aav0m7k

Sent from my Cm 10.1 Rezound using xda-developers app
    I have S-Off but was wondering would I still have it after a factory reset? I'm still stock(just waiting to see what coming in the next few weeks or so) .

Yes..even running an ruu, you keep s-off.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    Congratulations! You now have S-Off. Time to take over the world. ;)

Sent from my Htc Rezound

Outstanding.....Congrats. Welcome to the club.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks. The only difference was the version of control bear. Weird, but oh well :D

-HTC ReZound-
    I really appreciate you posting this. It helps out an uncertain noob who came from Motorola phones like me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

Glad I can try and help the community in some way. :)

Sent from my Htc Rezound