From VZW to ST (Succesfully)

Search This thread

McTerry

Well, it worked! I had crossed fingers and a chest full of dread as I began the move from Verizon to Straight Talk. Read many a post that said it could be done, some that said it couldn't, and a few nightmare posts about something going wrong. I did this with a rooted, but otherwise un-modded Galaxy S4. No added ROM's, kernels, or hacked or cracked anything. I'm not even sure you need to root it, but I was bored the other day and thought I would give it a shot.

I went to Straight Talk and ordered the SIM card kit for the BYOP program which was a $55 investment with the 30 day time card. I chose the AT&T Micro Sim Package which doesn't matter as the SIM I received was a normal sized SIM with a micro break away cut out as well.
I fired up the Registration/Activation page from Straight Talk, filled out all the info being sure to use the SIM card serial in place of the MEID/IMEI, and ported over my number from Verizon. Verizon has no PIN, you just need to provide them with your Verizon password for your account.
After that, I called ST which was a PITA, but I wanted to make sure everything went through fine. After hearing the verbal warning about how the SCH-I454 may or may not work with their service, and hearing how there is no refunds for the SIM card or the time card, I said go ahead and activate the SIM. He did so after reading me about three pages of BS and then telling me it could take up to 2 days for the number to be ported.

I continued to play with the phone with the VZW SIM in it until it went dead (about 30 minutes later), then switched out the SIM and began the conversion.

Added new APN settings as follows:
settings/connections/more networks/mobile networks/access point names

CHECK Updated Photos for Newest APN:
2nvxic3.png

15ge877.png

j75awg.png

302bes1.png

These are Older (Do Not Use):
APN Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port: 80
APN type: default,mms,supl

Save and restart the phone.
(Note: At first I had no data, after freaking out and searching the website in a panic. I was starting to lose hope when I looked down and noticed, hey there it is. So just give it a minute or two before you panic.)

Global Mode Speed Test Results with 2 bars of H service: 253 Ping - 0.98 Mbps Down - 0.58 Mbps Up
GSM Mode Speed Test Results with 2 bars of H service: 351 Ping - 1.63 Mbps Down - 0.38 Mbps Up

Global Mode vs. GSM Mode:
Make sure your phone is set to Global Mode or GSM Mode by going here:
settings/connections/more networks/mobile networks/network mode

Voicemail:
I noticed I had a Voicemail icon, but when I clicked on it, it routed me into the *63 loop of "Call can not be completed, blah blah".
This is due to Verizon using a different access for voicemail than ST. It is easily fixed.
Go to settings/my device/call/voicemail settings/voicemail numbers
and enter your cell number.
Now when you click on the VM icon or press and hold the 1 key, it will take you to your VM.
If you have a VM icon stuck on your screen, simply call your cell from a different number, leave a VM, then retrieve and delete it and it should disappear.

Verizon Bloatware Removal (sort of):
I figured since I wasn't on Verizon anymore, I could go ahead and get rid of the VZW bloatware all over this thing. There are ways to do it, that I found on these forums but I'm not very savvy when it comes to installing ROM's and such on phones so I chose to just play it safe and go to
settings/more/applications manager/all
and Turning Off everything that said or started with "Verizon".

Day 2: Continuation of Self Education
So I started receiving annoying pop up messages asking me to sign into my Verizon account. I could menu tab out of it, but it was mucho annoying. So I started digging deeper into this glorious website and the forums and learning about Safe Strap, ROM's, and flashing modules.
This led me down a bright path.

I ended up following the directions on this site in regards to installing Safe Strap v3.71 from Hashcode and the RootJunky (Tomsgt) Youtube installation video. Backing up the Stock ROM and then decided on the Hyperdrive RLS14 from sbreen94. Following the directions as outlined in the RootJunky (Tomsgt) YouTube videos, everything installed easily and I had zero issues.
Now in order to use Safe Strap, you will need root access, but finding that information on here is fairly easy. Easiest way is to search for the Tomsgt post where he links a lot of his videos. I believe it is even a sticky.

If like me, you are brand new to this whole thing and a little intimidated, it's okay. Just take your time, don't get in any hurry. Watch the installation videos prior to beginning your own installation, and just be careful. You are in good hands here.

Continued Discovery:
One of the side effects of switching over to ST from VZW was the addition of having the + sign added to calls in the call log. Now this didn't affect making calls or sending texts via your contact list, but if you tried to call back from the call log, the carrier assumed you were trying to make an international call and would drop it.
There is no way to fix it via the Calling options in settings but I did find a work around. An app by the name of Prefixer, put out by 253°Below (253below.com).
With this app, you can set rules to drop the + sign from outgoing and incoming calls. It's still going to show up in your call log, but when you tap a name or missed call to call them back, Prefixer automatically removes the added symbol and everything works like a peach!

Reclaiming Device Space:
Flashed HyperDrive RLS15 over the stock ROM this morning. Flashed the Modules before reboot and after install. Only issue I had was TouchWiz Home crashing on occasion, but a kindly soul on here told me it looked like it was an issue associated with restoring data. Although I didn't restore data, I also chose to just flash over the Stock ROM and use the installers Wipe/Factory Reset option instead of wiping the ROM slot first (Dumb move). All I had to do was boot into recovery with SafeStrap and Wipe the new ROM, reboot, and good to go. Now have close to 6Gigs of free space on the Flashed Stock ROM.

Update 13th April 2014 at 10:52 AM:
Over a month in now and everything is still working fine!

Update 30th April 2014 at 06:36 PM:
Got a new job that takes me all over the state of California and can absolutely confirm that I have 4G LTE from ST on this phone, with the above APN, when I am in an area that supports it.

Update 25th November 2015 at 03:57 AM:
Just upgraded to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 using the info posted by Surge1223, as well as Hyperdrive RLS20 by sbreen94. Everything still working like a charm.

Last edited:

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011
Cool thanks. I would definitely appreciate it. My friend is looking at switching so I'm trying to help him out. I think I may have read somewhere that the 4g capability was dependent on the sim card number.

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm told in my area that the Straight Talk service uses Verizon towers. Does that sound plausible? If so, I imagine the switch over would even be less of a hassle :fingers-crossed: $70 a month savings sure sounds tempting as my contract runs out this fall.

McTerry

Cool thanks. I would definitely appreciate it. My friend is looking at switching so I'm trying to help him out. I think I may have read somewhere that the 4g capability was dependent on the sim card number.

It doesn't look like ST has 4G in my area, so I can't really help out with that other than just making wild guesses and such which wouldn't really be any help to anyone. Sorry.

I'm told in my area that the Straight Talk service uses Verizon towers. Does that sound plausible? If so, I imagine the switch over would even be less of a hassle :fingers-crossed: $70 a month savings sure sounds tempting as my contract runs out this fall.

I believe they do, but it's all really dependent on phone model and area. You won't be able to use an S4 on a Verizon tower through ST. You would need to have ATT or TM service in that area to support the GSM for the Galaxy S4.

Last edited:

chriskader

Nov 29, 2009
Malvern
Verizon S4 will not work on ATT LTE, but will work on 3G. This is due to different LTE bands. As far as ST using Verizon, the older CDMA ST phones use verizon. ST is moving towards GSM hkwever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: klabit87 and lazer9

McTerry

I just moved to ST, I am getting Hspa+ speeds most places. I will take that for $45 a month compared to $80+ :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

I hear ya! Now if only I could figure out how to remove the + from in front of phone numbers...

Figured it out! Edited OP, info can be found at the bottom of the post.

Last edited:

McTerry

Yes, I am on the ATT based Sim, all is working for me, but receiving MMS....

Strange, I haven't had any issues with MMS. What APN are you using?

Update: I actually had this happen to me the first time I renewed my monthly plan with ST. Just have to call and have them restart your plan to fix the issue. I used to work for Virgin Mobile and knew exactly what the issue was but it still took the ST guy about ten minutes before he grabbed a supervisor and they confirmed it.

This is assuming it worked in the past.

Last edited:

bikoman1

Dec 2, 2008

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394487397770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394487397770.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 796
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394487412592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394487412592.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 748
Reactions: heatherlyn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, it worked! I had crossed fingers and a chest full of dread as I began the move from Verizon to Straight Talk. Read many a post that said it could be done, some that said it couldn't, and a few nightmare posts about something going wrong. I did this with a rooted, but otherwise un-modded Galaxy S4. No added ROM's, kernels, or hacked or cracked anything. I'm not even sure you need to root it, but I was bored the other day and thought I would give it a shot.

I went to Straight Talk and ordered the SIM card kit for the BYOP program which was a $55 investment with the 30 day time card. I chose the AT&T Micro Sim Package which doesn't matter as the SIM I received was a normal sized SIM with a micro break away cut out as well.
    I fired up the Registration/Activation page from Straight Talk, filled out all the info being sure to use the SIM card serial in place of the MEID/IMEI, and ported over my number from Verizon. Verizon has no PIN, you just need to provide them with your Verizon password for your account.
    After that, I called ST which was a PITA, but I wanted to make sure everything went through fine. After hearing the verbal warning about how the SCH-I454 may or may not work with their service, and hearing how there is no refunds for the SIM card or the time card, I said go ahead and activate the SIM. He did so after reading me about three pages of BS and then telling me it could take up to 2 days for the number to be ported.

I continued to play with the phone with the VZW SIM in it until it went dead (about 30 minutes later), then switched out the SIM and began the conversion.

Added new APN settings as follows:
    settings/connections/more networks/mobile networks/access point names

CHECK Updated Photos for Newest APN:
    2nvxic3.png

15ge877.png

j75awg.png

302bes1.png

These are Older (Do Not Use):
    APN Name: Straight Talk
    APN: tfdata
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS Port: 80
    APN type: default,mms,supl

Save and restart the phone.
    (Note: At first I had no data, after freaking out and searching the website in a panic. I was starting to lose hope when I looked down and noticed, hey there it is. So just give it a minute or two before you panic.)

Global Mode Speed Test Results with 2 bars of H service: 253 Ping - 0.98 Mbps Down - 0.58 Mbps Up
    GSM Mode Speed Test Results with 2 bars of H service: 351 Ping - 1.63 Mbps Down - 0.38 Mbps Up

Global Mode vs. GSM Mode:
    Make sure your phone is set to Global Mode or GSM Mode by going here:
    settings/connections/more networks/mobile networks/network mode

Voicemail:
    I noticed I had a Voicemail icon, but when I clicked on it, it routed me into the *63 loop of "Call can not be completed, blah blah".
    This is due to Verizon using a different access for voicemail than ST. It is easily fixed.
    Go to settings/my device/call/voicemail settings/voicemail numbers
    and enter your cell number.
    Now when you click on the VM icon or press and hold the 1 key, it will take you to your VM.
    If you have a VM icon stuck on your screen, simply call your cell from a different number, leave a VM, then retrieve and delete it and it should disappear.

Verizon Bloatware Removal (sort of):
    I figured since I wasn't on Verizon anymore, I could go ahead and get rid of the VZW bloatware all over this thing. There are ways to do it, that I found on these forums but I'm not very savvy when it comes to installing ROM's and such on phones so I chose to just play it safe and go to
    settings/more/applications manager/all
    and Turning Off everything that said or started with "Verizon".

Day 2: Continuation of Self Education
    So I started receiving annoying pop up messages asking me to sign into my Verizon account. I could menu tab out of it, but it was mucho annoying. So I started digging deeper into this glorious website and the forums and learning about Safe Strap, ROM's, and flashing modules.
    This led me down a bright path.

I ended up following the directions on this site in regards to installing Safe Strap v3.71 from Hashcode and the RootJunky (Tomsgt) Youtube installation video. Backing up the Stock ROM and then decided on the Hyperdrive RLS14 from sbreen94. Following the directions as outlined in the RootJunky (Tomsgt) YouTube videos, everything installed easily and I had zero issues.
    Now in order to use Safe Strap, you will need root access, but finding that information on here is fairly easy. Easiest way is to search for the Tomsgt post where he links a lot of his videos. I believe it is even a sticky.

If like me, you are brand new to this whole thing and a little intimidated, it's okay. Just take your time, don't get in any hurry. Watch the installation videos prior to beginning your own installation, and just be careful. You are in good hands here.

Continued Discovery:
    One of the side effects of switching over to ST from VZW was the addition of having the + sign added to calls in the call log. Now this didn't affect making calls or sending texts via your contact list, but if you tried to call back from the call log, the carrier assumed you were trying to make an international call and would drop it.
    There is no way to fix it via the Calling options in settings but I did find a work around. An app by the name of Prefixer, put out by 253°Below (253below.com).
    With this app, you can set rules to drop the + sign from outgoing and incoming calls. It's still going to show up in your call log, but when you tap a name or missed call to call them back, Prefixer automatically removes the added symbol and everything works like a peach!

Reclaiming Device Space:
    Flashed HyperDrive RLS15 over the stock ROM this morning. Flashed the Modules before reboot and after install. Only issue I had was TouchWiz Home crashing on occasion, but a kindly soul on here told me it looked like it was an issue associated with restoring data. Although I didn't restore data, I also chose to just flash over the Stock ROM and use the installers Wipe/Factory Reset option instead of wiping the ROM slot first (Dumb move). All I had to do was boot into recovery with SafeStrap and Wipe the new ROM, reboot, and good to go. Now have close to 6Gigs of free space on the Flashed Stock ROM.

Update 13th April 2014 at 10:52 AM:
    Over a month in now and everything is still working fine!

Update 30th April 2014 at 06:36 PM:
    Got a new job that takes me all over the state of California and can absolutely confirm that I have 4G LTE from ST on this phone, with the above APN, when I am in an area that supports it.

Update 25th November 2015 at 03:57 AM:
    Just upgraded to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 using the info posted by Surge1223, as well as Hyperdrive RLS20 by sbreen94. Everything still working like a charm.
    I just moved to ST, I am getting Hspa+ speeds most places. I will take that for $45 a month compared to $80+ :D

Let us know what you do and if it will be on Verizon or att towers I'm also looking to switch.

I bought the activation kit today. I filled out the registration/activation. I am now waiting for them to port my number over. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Big Big thanks to the OP. Everything is working. I am getting H+ connection. Ping 171, Download 1.29, Upload 0.47. The only problem I had was that ST didn't port my number for me when I filled out all the info online. I had to call and give them info about my old account to get my number ported from Verizon. I am now so happy I am no longer paying $80 per month. $45 is almost half off. Good riddance to Verizon. Now my next task is to root my phone so I can get rid of all the verizon bloat ware. The OP is right, you'll get a +1 in front of your calls from contacts. I don't understand why that is but for now, I'm just coping and pasting to make calls.

I also want to reiterate that ST's site tells you this phone is incompatible. You can call them and they will tell you the same. Just follow the OP instructions and it should work. Thanks again to the OP.
    I just contacted Straight Talk customer service via chat yesterday and asked if Verizon sims were available for 4g Verizon phones. They asked for the MEID and said that my Verizon S4 qualified for the BYOD program. Their customer service said I could put the Verizon S4 on their network. I double verified that I was not going to be sent an AT&T or T-Mobile sim and was told it was a sim for Verizon 4g LTE phones. So, I guess we'll see in the next 7 to 10 days if it is an actual Verizon sim.

I know they sell Verizon LTE branded Straight Talk phones, so it seems possible. It's kinda of vague when you go on their site to purchase a BYOD sim if your getting a Verizon sim, but they require you enter the MEID and when I tried it I was prompted that my phone qualified. So, that's when I got on the chat to see if this was acurate.
    I switched to ST with my Verizon s4 everything works great. 4g lte and h+. I use a lil different APN settings tho : Everything is the same except I leave Proxy EMPTY and APN Type i add hipri . The no proxy is so speed tests will work and the hipri is High Priority. The hipri might be why mine stays on 4g lte most of the time and some of you dont. I dont know for sure. The H+ im getting is Dual Cell HSDPA (DC-HSDPA), known also as Dual Carrier 42.2 Mbit/s so even if I didnt have 4g lte here i wouldnt care.

PS:
    I also enabled all LTE bands in service menu (*#27663368378#)
    LTE Band 4 is whats picking up 4g.

LTE: Straight Talk
    BAND 2= 1900MHZ
    BAND 4= 1700MHZ
    BAND 12= 700MHZ
    BAND 17=also 700MHZ Freq
    AWS 1700 and PCS 1900 band
    I thought i seen Band 14 active for a second but I can not confirm.
    These are the MAIN BANDS you will get:
    GSM 850/1900,
    UMTS 850/1900,
    LTE bands 17/4

ALL:
    LTE (4G)
    750 Upper 700 (Verizon) / band 13
    1700 AWS / band 4 (IV)

WCDMA (3G / 4G)
    850 Cellular / band 5 (V)
    1900 PCS / band 2 (II)
    2100 IMT / band 1 (I)