[Q] Unlocking n900t

Search This thread

adbyerly

Nov 6, 2013
I'm debating whether I should get the n900a or n900t. I want to root, which seems possible on the n900a with towelroot, but it would be nice to have the unlocked boot loader of the t mobile variant. However, I will be using the phone on ATT. If I buy a n900t from swappa, how easy is it to SIM unlock it for use on ATT? Would you buy the n900a or n900t of you wanted a rooted device to use on ATT? Thanks!

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
I'm debating whether I should get the n900a or n900t. I want to root, which seems possible on the n900a with towelroot, but it would be nice to have the unlocked boot loader of the t mobile variant. However, I will be using the phone on ATT. If I buy a n900t from swappa, how easy is it to SIM unlock it for use on ATT? Would you buy the n900a or n900t of you wanted a rooted device to use on ATT? Thanks!
I will be buying all my phones from t-mobile or any other reputable source to use my unlocked bootloader phones on att. My buddy and I have att service, mine is unlocked custom ROM ran, and it just outperforms in battery, customization, and I have no bugs compared to his. Frankly though, it is preference. Do you like to run custom, or do you want to do what att tells you to?

Sent from the dirty flashed note 3!

adbyerly

Nov 6, 2013
I will be buying all my phones from t-mobile or any other reputable source to use my unlocked bootloader phones on att. My buddy and I have att service, mine is unlocked custom ROM ran, and it just outperforms in battery, customization, and I have no bugs compared to his. Frankly though, it is preference. Do you like to run custom, or do you want to do what att tells you to?

Well I'm definitely not an ATT fanboy, but currently using cricket because att has the best GSM service around here. I'm using a Moto G with xposed/gravity box, along with nova launcher. So I think I would be happy with a rooted n900a, as long as I can freeze the bloatware and get my beloved pie controls. So I'd rather not have to spend the extra bucks for the n900t (buying used... ~$50-100 difference on Swappa), but I also don't want to regret being stuck with the locked boot loader...

Last edited:

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
I hear you. I run pretty minimal with the exception of tweaks. Use ADW launcher, uninstall all bloat ware, then make my phone look pretty. But the choice if kernels, init.d scripts, and being able to free up about 40% of the storage speaks volumes to me. Being able to run cm, aosp you get even more storage back.

I started with t mobile service and was happy while in city limits, but had to switch to att due to travels outside. They are bigger than Verizon where I live. Cricket has some good plans, but aren't you forced to purchase the phone outright? If this is the case, and you want options, might as will go with the one that allows for greater use.

The phone price is about the same, just one allows you to do more with it. Just a quick online search indicates that att full price phone is $764.99, and the t mobile variant is only $717.60.

adbyerly

Nov 6, 2013
I hear you. I run pretty minimal with the exception of tweaks. Use ADW launcher, uninstall all bloat ware, then make my phone look pretty. But the choice if kernels, init.d scripts, and being able to free up about 40% of the storage speaks volumes to me. Being able to run cm, aosp you get even more storage back.

I started with t mobile service and was happy while in city limits, but had to switch to att due to travels outside. They are bigger than Verizon where I live. Cricket has some good plans, but aren't you forced to purchase the phone outright? If this is the case, and you want options, might as will go with the one that allows for greater use.

The phone price is about the same, just one allows you to do more with it. Just a quick online search indicates that att full price phone is $764.99, and the t mobile variant is only $717.60.

No you can BYOP to Cricket, so I will be purchasing used. I can get the n900a on Swappa for ~$390 while the n900t runs ~$460. So I'm thinking if I will be happy with root getting me the Nova Launcher/Pie control/Adaway/app freeze experience that I am used to then there's not a big incentive to spend the extra money to be able to run custom ROMS that I currently do without anyway. However running a slimmer ROM and freeing up storage space is tempting.

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
No you can BYOP to Cricket, so I will be purchasing used. I can get the n900a on Swappa for ~$390 while the n900t runs ~$460. So I'm thinking if I will be happy with root getting me the Nova Launcher/Pie control/Adaway/app freeze experience that I am used to then there's not a big incentive to spend the extra money to be able to run custom ROMS that I currently do without anyway. However running a slimmer ROM and freeing up storage space is tempting.
I hear you. Good luck with your search.

andrewnelson23

May 25, 2012
Shawnee, OK

I unlocked my n900t a couple weeks ag to use on straight talk on att towers. Couldn't unlock it without cellunlocker. So I did and it's unlocked now. Be careful buying off swappa and make sure you check that the imei doesn't have a payment still on it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

speedy1979

Apr 5, 2007
NYC
I unlocked my n900t a couple weeks ag to use on straight talk on att towers. Couldn't unlock it without cellunlocker. So I did and it's unlocked now. Be careful buying off swappa and make sure you check that the imei doesn't have a payment still on it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

If you can ask the seller to provide proof they paid off the E.I.P., (equipment installment plan). That's what I did when I sold my At&t Galaxy note 3 (n900a). Actually I provided proof of payment in the description. So that potential buyers wouldn't have to request proof.

Of course that won't work if your ebay/swappa seller is a third party reseller.