[INFO] Power Saving Tips

Search This thread

Skysurfer69

Nov 19, 2011
London
I'd like to get some feedback from this community on what people feel works and doesn't work as far as Dev Opts and other settings they use to maximise battery life.

I don't want this to turn into a *****-fest - because I personally have been getting on average about 15h + a day as a moderate user and think this phone/OS combo is capable of more.

I'm relatively new to Android and while there are posts in other forums none of them relate to GN/ICS. There are so many settings to play with and many of them might otherwise go unexplored and unexplained to a lot of users.

A perfect example of this is something I read elsewhere earlier tonight in another rant-based thread. Someone suggested turning Developer Options> Background Process Limit to "At most, 3 processes". I gave that a try and in both instances I got a SOD (not immediately but I'm thinking it may not be sound advice after all).

Something else to consider might be stock apps which are safe to disable.

Things that are known to work or have a majority consensus will be compiled into a list in this thread.

To make things easier, try use a path to the setting you're talking about: Settings > Apps and suchlike.

Last edited:

kam187

Oct 2, 2004
London
Thats weird, i've been using that setting all day. I wonder if its an app you have installed thats having its process killed and not liking it. Do you get the same if you set it to 4?

I haven't found much except the obvious screen brightness and setting it to 2g instead of 3g - but that can actually be worse if you have a lot of things syncing often and a congested GPRS network.

Oh and I also have Force GPU rendering on, but i don't think that has much effect.

Good idea for a thread btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skysurfer69

Skysurfer69

Nov 19, 2011
London
Thanks. I've heard so many people quote the pitfalls of early adoption (now I'm one of them) I think there may be something in the apps point you make. Narrowing it down is going to be tough I suspect.

gogol

May 20, 2005
I use the below setting on my Nexus S to get two days moderate use:

Brightness at 8% fixed
Black still image wallpaper
Bluetooth off
Gps off
Wifi at home
Always sync off
Others sync off, facebook, gplus

Yupe, that suits my usage pattern. I dont like to bebothered with emails and social network notifications. If I need them, open and update manually.

Really big boost on battery life. I expect this is the same or better with ICS.

Reactions: Skysurfer69

Skysurfer69

Nov 19, 2011
London
Interesting. Good tips gogol.

Yesterday/today I managed to get 1d3h out of the phone.
Admittedly, I didn't put the phone through the punishment I usually subject it to.

I never enable BT, and also turn down the brightness on my screen to about 10%. I do leave sync on but try to limit it to necessary apps only and not app contacts.

Yesterday though, I didn't enable wifi at all (didn't need to really, was in the office all day). I made a few calls, sent a few texts and did my usual commute (about 3hours there and back) listening to music (PowerAmp) and messing around with EQ settings a fair bit.

Because I got 1d though, I got in an extra morning (1. 5hours) of music on the way to work.

So overall I'm pretty happy that I can get on average 15h as a moderate user and a ton more as a light-ish user

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

kam187

Oct 2, 2004
London
I updated to the new K6 radio a few days ago and reset the process limit back to standard. I managed 1 day 3 hours with 28% left this morning. I used 2 hours 26 minutes of screen time.

For me the new radio seems to have made a massive difference. I think it has to do with it camping one band/tower for longer and not constantly switching between 3 and HSDPA when there's a data transfer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats weird, i've been using that setting all day. I wonder if its an app you have installed thats having its process killed and not liking it. Do you get the same if you set it to 4?

I haven't found much except the obvious screen brightness and setting it to 2g instead of 3g - but that can actually be worse if you have a lot of things syncing often and a congested GPRS network.

Oh and I also have Force GPU rendering on, but i don't think that has much effect.

Good idea for a thread btw.
    I use the below setting on my Nexus S to get two days moderate use:

Brightness at 8% fixed
    Black still image wallpaper
    Bluetooth off
    Gps off
    Wifi at home
    Always sync off
    Others sync off, facebook, gplus

Yupe, that suits my usage pattern. I dont like to bebothered with emails and social network notifications. If I need them, open and update manually.

Really big boost on battery life. I expect this is the same or better with ICS.