[Q] Delayed Notification in Stock ROM

Search This thread

AlwaysNoob

Jan 25, 2012
Minneapolis
I just upgraded from Note 2 to Note 3. My push notifications (for gmail, hangouts and facebook chats) are delayed by 15 mins to upto 2 hours in some cases. I never had this issue with Note 2 (4.1.2 stock), I always used to get notifications instantly. Now with note 3, I receive all notifications with delay and all of them come at the same time after the delay.

I created a text file and I logged my wifi connection using tasker. Wifi doesnt get disconnected, its always connected. My wifi sleep policy is to have wifi always on. I know I have steady wifi connection cause I am using it with other devices.

This occurs only when the phone is idling. If I am actively using it, it works fine. But this is really pain cause whenever someone sends me "instant message" I usually get it after an hour even though I am in full wifi coverage (60Mbps)

Anyone else experienced this problem with their android devices lately? Know of any solution?

FourPointedFreak

Aug 19, 2013
Tampa
I just upgraded from Note 2 to Note 3. My push notifications (for gmail, hangouts and facebook chats) are delayed by 15 mins to upto 2 hours in some cases. I never had this issue with Note 2 (4.1.2 stock), I always used to get notifications instantly. Now with note 3, I receive all notifications with delay and all of them come at the same time after the delay.

I created a text file and I logged my wifi connection using tasker. Wifi doesnt get disconnected, its always connected. My wifi sleep policy is to have wifi always on. I know I have steady wifi connection cause I am using it with other devices.

This occurs only when the phone is idling. If I am actively using it, it works fine. But this is really pain cause whenever someone sends me "instant message" I usually get it after an hour even though I am in full wifi coverage (60Mbps)

Anyone else experienced this problem with their android devices lately? Know of any solution?

I had this happen like one time and never looked into the cause of it. It never reoccurred so I just kind of shrugged it off. That's really bizarre...

Alureth

Dec 22, 2013
Just got a note 3 a week ago and all my push notifications (whatsapp, facebook, etc) are delayed when the screen is closed. When it is opened, it delays less.

I tried using the PNF app to change the heartbeat (the non rooted version), messed with all the configurations on the wifi (it happens with wifi on or off).

Marcel94

Mar 29, 2011
I got the same problem. I have a European version. Sent it back to Samsung but they couldn't find something... Did anyone found a solution yet? Because it's really frustrating.

FenTheWolf

Mar 31, 2014
As of late, I have been running into similar issues, though they don't seem to on a permanent basis (sometimes I get notified within seconds or minutes, sometimes it takes a few hours or until I unlock my device).
My phone is a german version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running the Samsung stock Android version 4.4.2

One of the possible causes for this upon which I stumbled during my search for a solution was that the push connection might time out once in a while and take up to half an hour to be reestablished due to the long heartbeat interval set in stock Android.
But since the interval should be between 15 minutes (WiFi) and 28 minutes (3G) as stated in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142503, this would not account for notifications being delayed by several hours or even not to arrive at all while the screen is turned off.
Does anybody know whether Samsung stock might be implementing some kind of additional sleep mode which might prevent the connection from being reestablished by heartbeat monitoring and maybe even how to turn this 'feature' off without root (last thing I heard, rooting a Note 3 might trigger an e-fuse used as additional security measure for Samsung KNOX, but also allowing them to entirely refuse hardware warranty on rooted devices)?

Thanks!

Marcel94

Mar 29, 2011
I sent it back 2 times now, but still no solution. I also want to try a custom rom to see if that fixes it, but I'm also afraid that I lose my warranty if I root my device. If anybody can confirm that the stock rom is the problem, you'd help me a ton!

wilsonlee030

Apr 9, 2014

I do face this problem on my note3. I already do hard reset few time but still delay on my whatsapp and yahoo mail. Im using Note 3 LTE running Kitkat 4.4.2

AlwaysNoob

Jan 25, 2012
Minneapolis
I guess no one has a solution for this yet?

The problem is not app specific. The delay in notification happens all across the board. When my phone is sleeping, i dont get any notification. As soon as I wake it up, all notification come at the same time, including Yahoo mail, Gmail, hangout messages, whatsapp, Google voice, twitter and others.

It seems like the wifi/data is disabled when phone is sleeping. I double checked in the Advanced Wifi option that wifi is always on.

Why only few of us are seeing this issue?

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
It most likely only happens if the provider (your router for wifi, your carrier for 3G/4G) closes a connection after a certain amount of time goes by that it's not used. The heartbeat (the phone sends out a message on the connection every x minutes) keeps the connection open. Either 4.4.2 doesn't send the heartbeat any longer (it's not really part of Android, so there's no guarantee that Google will keep it when they update Android), or the provider of those people seeing the problem has a shorter timeout than the 15 minutes(wifi)/28 minutes (3G/4G) that the phone uses. PNF allows you to shorten the heartbeat time. 5 minutes is usually short enough to work for any connection, but you can shorten it more if you need to. (It won't use more battery - sending a keep-alive message takes a lot less battery than reestablishing the connection.)

hotbyz168

Nov 21, 2007

The problem is not app specific. The delay in notification happens all across the board. When my phone is sleeping, i dont get any notification. As soon as I wake it up, all notification come at the same time, including Yahoo mail, Gmail, hangout messages, whatsapp, Google voice, twitter and others.

It seems like the wifi/data is disabled when phone is sleeping. I double checked in the Advanced Wifi option that wifi is always on.

Make sure your data settings look like this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397705410937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397705410937.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 556

tazaxx

Jul 28, 2014
power saving on

Do you have power saving on? Cos for me I had it on all the time and as soon as I turned it off it solved the issue! Maybe give it go