[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - Stock Injected [TMO/MCT/GLW/VTR]

Search This thread

G1Master

Feb 1, 2009
H-Town
Thanks for your hard work Mr.R, I actually used your root66 Rom's on my GS3. Just got my Note 2 today and will be using your rooting method to get this Beast unleashed! Seems like the best way possible to rooting this phone!

Thanks again!

yogieajuz

Oct 19, 2010
New York
prp2 posted link where i describe how. However, that being said there are a few backup apps that would work for you. you really just need to back up the apps you don't need a full nandroid. if you keep a backup of the apps and you are on stock a restore would be 1. flash stock 2. restore apps.

androidfilehost had some issues. back now.

Thank you mrRobinson,
I use your steps how to root GS3 and install cwm and device status said "modified" but i can use triangleway to reset it (not a problem).
and i will follow your steps how to root GN2 but i dont want to install cwm because i want got update v4.2 in future from TMobile.
So if i want just stock rooted without cwm install (have no plan to flash costom rom) i can still get update from tmobile or i have to install root keeper app? and if i have problem just flash stock root via odin?

Thanks

G1Master

Feb 1, 2009
H-Town
So would it be best to root the phone to install custom Roms or can I use this root method to install custom Roms?

G1Master

Feb 1, 2009
H-Town
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to be sure. After going through with what happened to my GS3, I dont want the same for my more expensive N2. SeeHere if interested in what happened to my GS3.

Thanks again

Galaxysm

Sep 9, 2012
Mission
If I root using this method. Can I go to play store and download twrp?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

firstflyer

Jun 3, 2007
Texas, San Antonio
Flash stock recovery on custom rom

I have flashed TWRP and installed Jedi v9 rom. I am trying to get the allshare cast to work and have found from reading the only hope (at least that I can find) is be in an "Original" or unmodified state on the SGN2 to get it to work. If I use the toolkit to reinstall the factory recovery in place of TWRP --
1. can I do this with the custom rom and still function
2. will it allow the device to return to the original or unmodified state
3. reset the counter using the toolkit or triangle away

Just a beginners guess and any educated guesses or better knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that this may work and that if I need to change roms, return to stock, etc. that i could just use Odin and flash the new image or recovery.

vouty

Dec 7, 2010
California
I have flashed TWRP and installed Jedi v9 rom. I am trying to get the allshare cast to work and have found from reading the only hope (at least that I can find) is be in an "Original" or unmodified state on the SGN2 to get it to work. If I use the toolkit to reinstall the factory recovery in place of TWRP --
1. can I do this with the custom rom and still function
2. will it allow the device to return to the original or unmodified state
3. reset the counter using the toolkit or triangle away

Just a beginners guess and any educated guesses or better knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that this may work and that if I need to change roms, return to stock, etc. that i could just use Odin and flash the new image or recovery.

I would start by restoring the "stock" kernel. I've read many posts saying it's a non-stock kernel that causes the status to change to "modified." I think a non-stock recovery does too, but Triangle Away can fix this. That is what I am running now. I have mrRobinson's rooted stock rom plus CWM. Having CWM causes the status to be modified, but TA fixes that on boot up. As of now, it can't fix having a non-stock kernel. Good luck.

Reactions: dtippin

wess666

Dec 16, 2010
Works prefect! Flashed with mobile odin and everything went smoothly. Now counter is at 0 and status normal and official everywhere ;)

wess666

Dec 16, 2010
I did not. Wouldnt that trip flash counter? Im trying to keep as stock as possible but with junk removed.

1 - Yes, flashing a custom recovery ( CWM or TWRP) will trip counter

2 - If you want to keep stock AND remove junk, your best bet is to use Titanium recovery and freeze away what you don't need. You could even uninstall system files but that may get you a MODIFIED status which is clearly not what you want... Tread carefully thou and make sure you KNOW what you are freezing/removing

Let me know if you need more details... there is a thread I read a while ago about a list of safe apps and services to freeze/remove, I will try to find it for you

ardcifliku

Jun 8, 2010
Harpos Concert Theatre Detroit
I did not. Wouldnt that trip flash counter? Im trying to keep as stock as possible but with junk removed.

This is the list of the app that are frozen using titanium back up app.running stock rom stock recovery. .

sent from my NOTE 2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361816448716.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361816448716.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 380
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361816462470.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361816462470.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These are root injected FACTORY Stock Odin Flashable Images. You flash them in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

Big thanks to my one beta tester stevessvt as I don't own this device and he requested this and then tested a few of my broken tries before this one worked.

So if you want to keep your device stock yet have the functionality of root without tripping the counter or messing up OTA updates then this would be your best bet. Also helpful if you flashed other ROMs or kernels and just want to get back to a good base to start from, this is all stock but will still leave you with root to easily move forward.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SGH-T889 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

MCT: Mobilicity
    GLW: Wind
    VTR: Videotron

Instructions:
    First, Download Image:

Tmobile Rom
    JellyBean Release 4.3 (December 2013) - New!
    Mirror 1: root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7_2.7z

JellyBean Release 4.1.2 (June 2013)
    Mirror 1: root66_TMO_T889UVBMD1.7z

JellyBean Release 4.1.2 (March 2013)
    Mirror 1: root66_TMO_T889UVBMB4.7z

JellyBean Release 4.1.1 (January 2013)
    Mirror 1: root66_TMO_T889UVALL4.7z

Mobilicity Rom
    Mirror: root66_MCT_T889VVLUCMK4.7z

New Jelly Bean Release 4.1.2 (January 2013)
    Mirror 1: root66_MCT_T889VVLBMA3.7z

Original Jelly Bean Release
    Mirror 1: root66_MCT_T889VVLALJ4.7z

Wind Rom
    Mirror: root66_GLW_T889VVLUCMK4.7z

Mirror 1: root66_GLW_T889VVLBMA3.7z

Mirror 1: root66_GLW_T889VVLALJ4.7z

Videotron Rom
    Mirror: root66_VTR_T889VVLUCMK4.7z

Mirror 1: root66_VTR_T889VVLBMA3.7z

Mirror 1: root66_VTR_T889VVLALJ4.7z

Second, Extract and Flash:
    Extract the root66_TMO_T889UVALJ1.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_TMO_T889UVALJ1.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Optional, Recovery (will trip counter):
    It seems loading any custom recovery will trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
    Currently I see TWRP has support for this device so the instructions here will install that recovery.
    Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
    Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
    Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
    type adb shell
    once in the shell run su
    then
    dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.2-t0ltetmo.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
    Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

De-Bloater
    If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with CWM or TWRP and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my mrRobinson Note II De-Bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM or TWRP like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Minimal and still get a decent de-bloat.​

Bonus Downloads:
    CWM Flashable Modem: modem_CWM_T889UVALK8.zip || modem_CWM_T889UVALL4.zip || modem_CWM_T889UVBLL4.zip
    ODIN Flashable Stock Recovery: TMO_recovery_T889UVALK8.tar.md5 || TMO_recovery_T889UVALL4.tar.md5 || TMO_recovery_T889UVBMB4.tar.md5 || TMO_recovery_T889UVBMD1.tar.md5

History:
    I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
    Also did sprint and vzw but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
    1. Does this remove the T-mobile bloatware?
      A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
    2. Does this use an unsecured boot.img
      A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the UVALJ1 image.
    3. If my flash counter has been tripped, and I flash this and reset the counter, will it stay at 0.
      A: Yes, as long as you don't then flash a non-stock recovery.
    4. More to come...
    OP Updated latest root66 based off T889UVBMB4

Bonus Files section has the stock recovery and the MB4 Modem as a flashable zip.
    i know its early and 4.3 just kicked off, but does anyone know if there will be a mr. root66 version for the new update? Thanks in advance.

Yes. And here it is:
    Download :: root66_TMO_T889UVUCMK7.7z

Note, I've gotten the root successfully injected on 4.3 on a GS3 but not yet on a Note2. (something seems to squash it).
    I don't have a note2 so can't test myself. This will flash fine, remove CIQ and Knox, but report back if you have working root after this.
    Hope you can get the odin version with the new update to uvll8 i think.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

OP Updated with new T889UVALL4 Jelly Bean release

Bonus Files update with CWM/TWRP flashable modem from that release and an Odin flashable stock recovery from that release.